Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 03:36:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Southend Game  (Read 10115 times)

mpc123

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Southend Game
« Reply #30 on July 29, 2018, 09:00:38 pm by mpc123 »
McCullough too slow for me Whiteman has a chance to make it this year, McCullough as sub for back up for me

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 29, 2018, 09:16:46 pm by the vicar »
An international fringe player and you wouldn't consider playing him

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on July 29, 2018, 09:29:10 pm by mpc123 »
I've considered and I'd prefer Whiteman in that position to McCullough.

That's just me GM may prefer McCullough

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 29, 2018, 09:36:00 pm by the vicar »
I like Whitman but he is better as an attacking midfielder

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 29, 2018, 09:37:24 pm by the vicar »
That is where he is meant to play

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on July 29, 2018, 09:46:27 pm by mpc123 »
It's all personal opinions and GM will have his own. I just have visions of McCullough getting caught a lot on that position. With the way GM plays that would be a disaster.

Like I say GM may agree with you.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on July 29, 2018, 09:48:07 pm by mpc123 »
Saying that McCullough may improve with that first pre season for a while but still Whiteman initially for me. It's nice to have competition though

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on July 29, 2018, 10:09:31 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think GM wants Whiteman as the central mid but not necessarily defensive. Why do you have to have a defensive midfielder if you attack as a unit and defend as a unit. Just watch the first half highlights v Blades and you can see what's possible if you move the ball quickly and get back in position when it breaks down.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on July 29, 2018, 10:24:58 pm by drfchound »
Under Ferguson, Whiteman never got into the opposition box.
Not good for an attacking midfielder is it.
Hopefully GM will have that changed if he plays him.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on July 29, 2018, 10:43:11 pm by mpc123 »
They all can't attack, I would think we can leave a midfielder back with the central defenders whilst the full backs push on. Leaving 7 attacking and 3  defenders effectively for the break.

Or if the ball is released to start the next phase Whiteman would be there to pick up and make a telling pass.

That would be my version of 4 3 3 but as I keep saying GM or anyone else could use different versions.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on July 29, 2018, 11:15:56 pm by selby »
 Dave, in my post I had Whiteman as a substitute, but if Crawford was not fit in the team in crawfords more advanced roll.
   My reason for picking McCullough as the defensive midfielder is his first touch and passing is better than Whitemans, therefore I would play him like Blair further forward, it is just my opinion, others will disagree.
   Against Sheffield United,in the first half Blair and Whiteman pressed as high up the field as they could when we lost the ball. In the second half, only Rowe was doing that, and was how we lost the control we had in the first half, Beestin and Viera not doing that job as well as in the first half.
   That game is very hard on the players asked to do it, they have to cover a lot of ground, and most cannot do it for much more than 60 to 70 minutes. That is why most of the substitutes are midfielders in top games, and no longer attackers.
  Playing a high tempo game necessitates quality substitutes in those areas, and that was the reason I picked the team I did and who were my substitutes.
  I tried to cover all bases, and not double up on positions with too many attackers. 

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on July 30, 2018, 07:07:59 am by GazLaz »

You’d have to play him at centre half then as that’s where he plays for his country.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on July 30, 2018, 08:33:06 am by mpc123 »

You’d have to play him at centre half then as that’s where he plays for his country.

I'd prefer him there than midfield

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on July 30, 2018, 09:05:36 am by RedJ »

The one game he did get forward, he got a hat trick.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on July 30, 2018, 09:26:24 am by selby »
   He is stronger, has better ball retention, and is better at finding a man with a pass, and is more aggressive and a better tackler ( not losing the ball is the most important) but is not as mobile.
   The pluses outweigh the negatives for me, why should he not play in midfield where his pace is not  exposed as much? what do you see in Blairs and Whitemans game apart from pace that is not in McCulloughs?
  I am not having a go, I am genuinely interested, as I am sure other people would be, we can all learn from others opinions.
  It is what Forums are all about, especially this thread.
   As has been pointed out by other posters, Blair and Whiteman have had thier best games further forward, which is where I see them being better, and can both bring a threat and energy into that area as either starters or tactical substitutes later in the game.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on July 30, 2018, 10:22:47 am by bobbymax »

When he came on against Costa Rica last month, he played in front of the back four.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on July 30, 2018, 10:35:24 am by the vicar »
They all can't attack, I would think we can leave a midfielder back with the central defenders whilst the full backs push on. Leaving 7 attacking and 3  defenders effectively for the break.

Or if the ball is released to start the next phase Whiteman would be there to pick up and make a telling pass.

That would be my version of 4 3 3 but as I keep saying GM or anyone else could use different versions.
or a great shot into the top corner lol

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 30, 2018, 10:39:05 am by pib »
McCullough shouldn't be at centre half for me.

Not strong enough defensively and takes too many risks with the ball. Needs another line of defence behind him to mop up his errors and dithering.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on July 30, 2018, 10:40:44 am by mpc123 »
   He is stronger, has better ball retention, and is better at finding a man with a pass, and is more aggressive and a better tackler ( not losing the ball is the most important) but is not as mobile.
   The pluses outweigh the negatives for me, why should he not play in midfield where his pace is not  exposed as much? what do you see in Blairs and Whitemans game apart from pace that is not in McCulloughs?
  I am not having a go, I am genuinely interested, as I am sure other people would be, we can all learn from others opinions.
   As has been pointed out by other posters, Blair and Whiteman have had thier best games further forward, which is where I see them being better, and can both bring a threat and energy into that area as either starters or tactical substitutes later in the game.

Good post and nice to see people are interested in other opinions rather than just ramming theirs down others throats.

I'm hoping with a proper pre season behind McCullough  he can be the player you see and would be more than happy with him there if he had improved.

Whiteman for me just seems to have that bit more of everything and the mobility.

Like I have said previously it's nice to have these differing opinions as the competition in that spot then keeps both of them on their toes.

I personally can't see Blair in that position right of the 3, long term, he is an out and out winger for me of which 4 3 3 doesn't include, so my guess is for him a bench position unfortunately.

I am getting excited with the possibilities of this team as the season goes on with GM in charge.

Not forgetting GM has hinted at a couple of more signings including maybe the position we are currently expressing our views.

Come on rovers!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 10:43:06 am by mpc123 »

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on July 30, 2018, 10:52:23 am by sedwardsdrfc »

Good post and nice to see people are interested in other opinions rather than just ramming theirs down others throats.

I'm hoping with a proper pre season behind McCullough  he can be the player you see and would be more than happy with him there if he had improved.

Whiteman for me just seems to have that bit more of everything and the mobility.

Like I have said previously it's nice to have these differing opinions as the competition in that spot then keeps both of them on their toes.

I personally can't see Blair in that position right of the 3, long term, he is an out and out winger for me of which 4 3 3 doesn't include, so my guess is for him a bench position unfortunately.

I am getting excited with the possibilities of this team as the season goes on with GM in charge.

Not forgetting GM has hinted at a couple of more signings including maybe the position we are currently expressing our views.

Come on rovers!

Agree on Whiteman look at all the teams who play 433 and they are very mobile, no room for plodders when possession turns over. 

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on July 30, 2018, 12:20:19 pm by adamtherover »
i posted this on the away travel section but i dont think it gets must traffic so ill try  on here...

we are driving down as we are stopping in london over the weekend,  aside of the official stadium car park, if its full has anyone got any suggestions where mite be a safe parking spot not too far from the ground.  cheers... 

ps. whats sarfends firm like towards away fans,  would it be considered unwise to wear colours after the game if we potentially are on our own.   Or are they a decent bunch.     

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on July 30, 2018, 12:28:45 pm by RedJ »
There's plenty of street parking usually near the ground. There's also a car park at a local school that's open for match day parking at a fiver a pop.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on July 30, 2018, 12:46:44 pm by mpc123 »

The one game he did get forward, he got a hat trick.

Yeah I totally agree if we got a really good player in in that position, as GM hinted as a possibility I would move Whiteman to right.

I just think with quite a few decent ones to play right the only 2 options really for that middle role are Whiteman or LM of which personally I would prefer Whiteman.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on July 30, 2018, 12:54:35 pm by adamtherover »
There's plenty of street parking usually near the ground. There's also a car park at a local school that's open for match day parking at a fiver a pop.

thanks

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on July 30, 2018, 01:15:03 pm by Chris Black come back »
As context, their last five home league games last season saw them keep five clean sheets and score ten, winning three and drawing two. This lot are no mugs at home.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on July 30, 2018, 01:37:55 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
haven't checked but Southend had a potent strike force towards the end of last season and Rovers an impotent one ... in fact started a duck egg business  ... just one more needed for the half dozen 
 :woohoo:

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on July 30, 2018, 01:59:34 pm by Al4475 »
No real idea as I haven't seen owt yet but Wright, Butler and Anderson are all solid centre halves so maybe a 3 with Andrew and Mason as wing backs, whiteman, Rowe and mccullogh (assuming Crawford is injured) in the middle and copps just behind marquis? As said earlier nowt to go on other than what's been said on here.

Lawlor
Anderson, Butler, Wright
Mccullogh
Mason, Whiteman, Rowe, Andrew,
Copps
Marquis

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on July 30, 2018, 02:07:30 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
We've been through the whole of pre season playing 433 be crazy to completely change that now.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on July 30, 2018, 02:16:53 pm by mpc123 »
No real idea as I haven't seen owt yet but Wright, Butler and Anderson are all solid centre halves so maybe a 3 with Andrew and Mason as wing backs, whiteman, Rowe and mccullogh (assuming Crawford is injured) in the middle and copps just behind marquis? As said earlier nowt to go on other than what's been said on here.

Lawlor
Anderson, Butler, Wright
Mccullogh
Copps
Marquis

I totally understand why you have gone for 3 5 2 with the players at GM's disposal but he does seem to like 4 3 3 both in friendlies here and his  time at Peterborough.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on July 30, 2018, 02:41:39 pm by steve@dcfd »

Lawlor
Anderson, Butler, Wright
Mccullogh
Copps
Marquis

After all pre season games GM as played 433
Cannot see him changing that system but if he does play 352 as you suggest. Then Wright and Anderson are both right footed and never played on the left of a three when we played last season.

Therefore if he play 352 it would be Andrew or Amos left of the three with other left wing back.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012