Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 06:04:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Football Heaven  (Read 19449 times)

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
Re: Football Heaven
« Reply #30 on July 30, 2018, 09:47:18 pm by craigdrfc »
He didn’t look comfortable to me, probabily for the reasons mentioned in the earlier post. In fact the only decent answer he gave was when talking about Barry and Darragh at Posh. Certainly dont hold any of this against him though, its still very early days in his time with us. He’ll grow into the local media Im sure.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 30, 2018, 09:54:27 pm by GazLaz »
To be a manager at this level you should be able to take things like that in your stride. It’s not as if he was getting a grilling after 10 defeats on the bounce, it was a friendly chat.

I like Warne, he seems like the kind of manager players will really buy into.

Wilder always says it how it is, I know a bloke that’s known him back to his school days and he says he’s a horrible bloke. Nasty piece of work.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on July 30, 2018, 09:57:53 pm by mushRTID »
Amazing how we see things differently. I think Warne seems a right smug t**t!

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 30, 2018, 10:03:56 pm by Dare to dream! »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06cd6sh - Link here for anyone who missed it

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 30, 2018, 10:04:26 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Rather have someone who can walk the walk than just talk the talk.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 30, 2018, 10:07:36 pm by GazLaz »
Rather have someone who can walk the walk than just talk the talk.

Not many can walk without talking though. Even though SOD was a bit awkward and didn’t like media stuff, everything he used to say was engaging and insightful.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 30, 2018, 10:09:27 pm by RoversAlias »
I listened and the way GM answered it sounded like 2 other players not the ones on trial

He said a forward player and a central midfielder. It’s too much of a coincidence that that matches Vieira and Taylor.

I disagree purely because McCann stated a couple of weeks ago he wanted a centre forward in and mentioned having room for a central midfielder if the right one came up. This was after Taylor arrived on trial too.

It might well be those two but Vieira seems like someone well acknowledged to not be a senior signing at this stage.

As for how McCann came across, it's irrelevant. Not a typical situation, this Football Heaven panel, and he's employed to coach the squad not come across great in the media. Soundbite Saunders came across far better than Sean O'Driscoll but the latter is a legendary manager here and the former is a joke of a manager anywhere.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on July 30, 2018, 10:12:18 pm by Jonathan »
I’ve not watched tonight’s Football Heaven but I’ve been impressed with McCann’s PR and media work so far. Comes across well. I’m looking forward to supporting his work, I just hope he brings in a couple more quality players to give himself (and us) a better chance of success.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on July 30, 2018, 10:16:01 pm by Draytonian III »
I see GazLaz has got the new manager in his sights and we haven’t even kicked a ball in anger yet. Give the man a chance,friendlies and rumours count for absolutely nothing

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 30, 2018, 10:16:43 pm by Chris Black come back »
Need central midfielder. If we are playing three in midfield then that one playing central needs to be some player!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 31, 2018, 05:49:55 am by GazLaz »
I see GazLaz has got the new manager in his sights and we haven’t even kicked a ball in anger yet. Give the man a chance,friendlies and rumours count for absolutely nothing

I’ve not got him in my sights. I’m desperate for us to do well this season, it all just looks a bit underwhelming at the minute. We will have a much better idea of where we are on Saturday I suppose.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on July 31, 2018, 08:53:37 am by 5minstogo »
It appears from the latest Hoden piece that the two players coming in are Vieira and Taylor...... if we can agree terms.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on July 31, 2018, 08:58:35 am by Metalmicky »

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on July 31, 2018, 09:11:32 am by Retdon1 »
It appears from the latest Hoden piece that the two players coming in are Vieira and Taylor...... if we can agree terms.

That’s the impression I got too...... not good, we need players who can go straight into the first 11, and these 2 won’t be...

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on July 31, 2018, 09:13:54 am by 5minstogo »
No. He's already said Vieira is one for the future and the development team and that Taylor isn't fit enough at the moment. Fingers crossed we're reading it wrong!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on July 31, 2018, 09:31:05 am by GazLaz »
No. He's already said Vieira is one for the future and the development team and that Taylor isn't fit enough at the moment. Fingers crossed we're reading it wrong!

I think he knows people will be a bit underwhelmed if he says the two to come in will be the two trialists so he was being a bit coy. He knew where the goalposts where when he came in, so he can’t complain, but I’m sure he will have wanted a bit more squad strength.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on July 31, 2018, 09:56:56 am by Filo »
We could sign Jamie Vardy and some people would moan we did n't get Harry Kane, let the season begin and then make an assesment ffs!

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 31, 2018, 10:01:41 am by Bezza »
im hoping the central mid-fielder he wants from Peterborough is still available and might be one of the two.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on July 31, 2018, 10:04:09 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I suspect there will be others coming in. We certainly do need thst but more quality but I don't think we are too far away.  We have to stick by the fairly young squad and get them improving. It's a better long term approach.

I would maybe do things a little differently but wouldn't we all?

A central midfielder is probably my wish, a real passer to dictate play is what we lack.  Get that and we have both the attack and defence and it's a side that will progress not stagnate.  The key and gamble for us is if these players like Whiteman, mason etc can get to that next level.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on July 31, 2018, 10:10:18 am by selby »
  We would be taking a very big risk with Taylor given his past history, but the little I have seen of Viera  he  looks as if he could develop into a decent young player, and is worth a punt.
   Is the risk with Taylor worth taking? not for me, and that is not a slight on his playing ability. But as I said on another thread, it is against the whole ethos of the club.
   If we do sign him however, I hope he proves me wrong, pulls himself together, and does well and I will support him while he is here.

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on July 31, 2018, 10:17:00 am by Bollinger »
To be a manager at this level you should be able to take things like that in your stride. It’s not as if he was getting a grilling after 10 defeats on the bounce, it was a friendly chat.

Wilder always says it how it is, I know a bloke that’s known him back to his school days and he says he’s a horrible bloke. Nasty piece of work.

Make your mind up Gaz. When it was reported he gave a really impressive well-informed interview you told us that was bad because interviewees who have prepped to come across well are just desperate. Now, he's the pits because he didn't come over as Mr.Charisma on Football Heaven. So our ideal manager is one who ought to interview like a knuckle dragger but sparkle for the press? Give the man a break.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on July 31, 2018, 10:20:30 am by RedJ »
  We would be taking a very big risk with Taylor given his past history, but the little I have seen of Viera  he  looks as if he could develop into a decent young player, and is worth a punt.
   Is the risk with Taylor worth taking? not for me, and that is not a slight on his playing ability. But as I said on another thread, it is against the whole ethos of the club.
   If we do sign him however, I hope he proves me wrong, pulls himself together, and does well and I will support him while he is here.

It is against the club ethos, but as I've said elsewhere, you've got to have some experience to complement the kids.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on July 31, 2018, 10:35:35 am by sedwardsdrfc »
The right kind of experience ideally not sure Taylor has that. He has ability though so could be a real asset.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on July 31, 2018, 10:47:04 am by GazLaz »

Make your mind up Gaz. When it was reported he gave a really impressive well-informed interview you told us that was bad because interviewees who have prepped to come across well are just desperate. Now, he's the pits because he didn't come over as Mr.Charisma on Football Heaven. So our ideal manager is one who ought to interview like a knuckle dragger but sparkle for the press? Give the man a break.

I think you are slightly misquoting there! I think I said it’s easy to say to an interviewer everything they want to hear and agree with everything they propose to you even though you know it may not be an ideal situation if you are desperate for a job.

That’s all history, he’s our manager and he starts with a clean slate as far as I’m concerned. I’ll judge him as we go forward now. Last night was an opportunity to build on my opinion and I didn’t think he was great. That’s just a minor thing though and it’s what happens on the pitch that matters. Let’s wait and see how we get on on the pitch, I’ll make another assessment after 8-10 games then.

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on July 31, 2018, 10:59:17 am by Danmckay456 »
the budget this season is laughable never known such an obvious lack of ambition to do well with a small squad loaning players out to balance the books , big earners left to be replaced by non league and kids and over the hill journeymen.

We don’t have competition for players we should be kicking on after a reasonable season last year but yet again it proves we want to be a league 1 club at best.

The fans have really got behind the club with season tickets and attendances over the last few seasons and all we want is a bit of investment

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on July 31, 2018, 11:07:15 am by DonnyOsmond »
"We want a bit of investment"

*Owners continuously invest in £2million a year into the club.

Wut

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on July 31, 2018, 11:09:39 am by bobbymax »
the budget this season is laughable never known such an obvious lack of ambition to do well with a small squad loaning players out to balance the books , big earners left to be replaced by non league and kids and over the hill journeymen.

We don’t have competition for players we should be kicking on after a reasonable season last year but yet again it proves we want to be a league 1 club at best.

The fans have really got behind the club with season tickets and attendances over the last few seasons and all we want is a bit of investment

The needle's stuck again!

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on July 31, 2018, 11:13:21 am by Danmckay456 »
That old 🌰 , just hope we do get off to a good start but this board can do no wrong in many peoples eyes and yet it’s clear for all to see the way we are conducting transfer business speaks desperation no coincidence that Garrett has moved on and players come in , 3 senior centre backs , one right back brought in from the cold , a kid at left back who’s hardly played any senior football , Copps is 37 , a six month loan for a striker ,

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on July 31, 2018, 11:25:10 am by mpc123 »
That old 🌰 , just hope we do get off to a good start but this board can do no wrong in many peoples eyes and yet it’s clear for all to see the way we are conducting transfer business speaks desperation no coincidence that Garrett has moved on and players come in , 3 senior centre backs , one right back brought in from the cold , a kid at left back who’s hardly played any senior football , Copps is 37 , a six month loan for a striker ,

The board can do no wrong, yeah dead right they keep us afloat to a tune of an extra 2 million a year.

Imagine that budget for your squad if it was 2 million less. Effectively I suppose that is where we would be at.

That's league 2 tops.

The notes you have made of current transfers is typical league one freebies and loans.

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on July 31, 2018, 11:27:22 am by Danmckay456 »
We might be there come may ;-)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012