Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 06:33:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Football Heaven  (Read 19457 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Football Heaven
« Reply #60 on July 31, 2018, 11:30:53 am by silent majority »
We might be there come may ;-)

So how much should we spend? We have outlined a budget that is an increase on last years, which in itself was the 7th highest in the league. Is that not investment? Is that not a board throwing in an additional £2m per season so that we can spend as we are doing?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on July 31, 2018, 11:31:04 am by mpc123 »

Its the response I expected.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on July 31, 2018, 11:34:02 am by mpc123 »
In their situation they could very easily say ok then we won't put it in and go and enjoy life with their families but they have bigger balls than any of us that's why they have the money and know how in the first place and we don't.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on July 31, 2018, 11:44:05 am by GazLaz »

So how much should we spend? We have outlined a budget that is an increase on last years, which in itself was the 7th highest in the league. Is that not investment? Is that not a board throwing in an additional £2m per season so that we can spend as we are doing?

Do they still put £2m in SM? Doesn’t that contravene the new financial sustainability rules? Also don’t wages now have to be a certain percentage of turn over? If so where does the additional 2m go?

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on July 31, 2018, 11:45:09 am by Danmckay456 »
So as a business it’s good to sign an overweight player who’s not fit and expect results

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on July 31, 2018, 11:45:22 am by mpc123 »
There are ways around that like most clubs who have board investment

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on July 31, 2018, 11:46:03 am by mpc123 »
So as a business it’s good to sign an overweight player who’s not fit and expect results

If that's all you can moan about then I'm happy with the club.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on July 31, 2018, 11:55:37 am by Bristol Red Rover »
Taylor signing could be a very interesting rollercoaster for us, lovely bit of drama for the season. He's a risk for sure, and, generalising, he's someone who'll likely come a cropper in life.

Positives are that he seems like he has the fight and energy that we need, McCann knows him, the contract will probably have some stiff terms, Copps/Marquis/Butler could well help him stay on the level, at 30 he's more likely to make some positive steps (though that read about his recent time at Bradford is concerning - appologies, I mistakenly took what was from 8/9 years ago in Belgium to be from his time at Bradford last season, so that's a BIG plus).

This signing would bring out the McCann's man management abilities, something it seems a lot of this coming season will depend on.

From the Sport Witness article, "Taylor really was the Paul Gascoigne prototype, but a more hooligan version" - we can hope that we see that on the pitch and not in the nightclubs.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:54:28 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on July 31, 2018, 12:01:54 pm by mpc123 »
Taylor signing could be a very interesting rollercoaster for us, lovely bit of drama for the season. He's a risk for sure, and, generalising, he's someone who'll likely come a cropper in life.

Positives are that he seems like he has the fight and energy that we need, McCann knows him, the contract will probably have some stiff terms, Copps/Marquis/Butler could well help him stay on the level, at 30 he's more likely to make some positive steps (though that read about his recent time at Bradford is concerning).

This signing would bring out the McCann's man management abilities, something it seems a lot of this coming season will depend on.

From the Sport Witness article, "Taylor really was the Paul Gascoigne prototype, but a more hooligan version" - we can hope that we see that on the pitch and not in the nightclubs.

Nice post, fingers crossed with him as GM says he is about 10 more days training from being fit.

It could be a great signing or like you have said, it could end up costing us very little for having a go. Really he holds the key to if he can advance his career or not, effectively he has already made it, a league one player is a great profession but if he can kick on and put everything behind him, then he could be so much more.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on July 31, 2018, 12:20:35 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
What is getting people is we should have money to bring in better/more stable players than take a punt (all be it a potentially good one) on a very risky player.

If Grant thinks that is a position that needs strengthening then he must have the resources to get better. i'm not bashing the board more bemoaning a lack of ideas in finding players

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on July 31, 2018, 12:26:01 pm by steve@dcfd »
The signing of Taylor and or Vieira is ok not the quality the side still needs. Moneys available according to GB so GM  must get another centre midfield player and striker to go straight into the first team.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on July 31, 2018, 12:31:00 pm by silent majority »

But you could attempt to answer my questions though. Criticising by ignoring basic facts and focussing on some meaningless point is hardly supporting your argument is it.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on July 31, 2018, 12:38:40 pm by silent majority »

Do they still put £2m in SM? Doesn’t that contravene the new financial sustainability rules? Also don’t wages now have to be a certain percentage of turn over? If so where does the additional 2m go?

Yes, they did last season. And discussions around this seasons budget would also include that level of funding.

It doesn't contravene any existing controls. SCMP states that a wage cap of 60% of turnover applies in LG1. However not much of this applies as the funding and turnover figures are applied at Club Doncaster level and not at DRFC level.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on July 31, 2018, 12:44:23 pm by Copps is Magic »
Can someone enlighten me on what actually are the 'off-field problems' with regards to this Paul Taylor that people keep alluding to? I can find some drug use 10 years ago and a tussle with a doorman 5 years ago. He left Bradford for 'personal reasons' but that could mean anything really. Bradford fans seem very upset he left, citing him as their best player at the time.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on July 31, 2018, 12:45:30 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
SCMP states that a wage cap of 60% of turnover applies in LG1. However not much of this applies as the funding and turnover figures are applied at Club Doncaster level and not at DRFC level.

Interesting. I have no idea how the Club Doncaster thing effects us re the wage cap - is it positive for the owners, giving them some flexibility, ability to invest more than if were just DRFC?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on July 31, 2018, 12:51:51 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Can someone enlighten me on what actually are the 'off-field problems' with regards to this Paul Taylor that people keep alluding to? I can find some drug use 10 years ago and a tussle with a doorman 5 years ago. He left Bradford for 'personal reasons' but that could mean anything really. Bradford fans seem very upset he left, citing him as their best player at the time.

There's the three links to news stories about half way back in this thread. Beyond what you said, there was mention of his wild times in Belgium 8/9 years ago - I previously took that to be at Bradford last season but I was mistaken. Could well be all that is behind him?
http://sportwitness.co.uk/bradford-city-strikers-belgium-adventure-paul-gascoigne-prototype-drink-fight/

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on July 31, 2018, 12:55:41 pm by Copps is Magic »

There's the three links to news stories about half way back in this thread. Beyond what you said, there was mention of his wild times in Belgium 8/9 years ago - I previously took that to be at Bradford last season but I was mistaken. Could well be all that is behind him?
http://sportwitness.co.uk/bradford-city-strikers-belgium-adventure-paul-gascoigne-prototype-drink-fight/

It's all a very long time ago isn't it.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on July 31, 2018, 12:56:48 pm by mpc123 »
What is getting people is we should have money to bring in better/more stable players than take a punt (all be it a potentially good one) on a very risky player.

If Grant thinks that is a position that needs strengthening then he must have the resources to get better. i'm not bashing the board more bemoaning a lack of ideas in finding players

In every interview he says if someone is available he will go for them, that means we have extra budget, that's beyond the 2 trialists .

So it's not instead of.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on July 31, 2018, 12:59:34 pm by GazLaz »

Yes, they did last season. And discussions around this seasons budget would also include that level of funding.

It doesn't contravene any existing controls. SCMP states that a wage cap of 60% of turnover applies in LG1. However not much of this applies as the funding and turnover figures are applied at Club Doncaster level and not at DRFC level.

So are you saying the £2m is put into Club Doncaster and the wage bill is 60% of that figure? I still thought clubs could no longer be bankrolled in that way any more.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on July 31, 2018, 01:10:55 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
In every interview he says if someone is available he will go for them, that means we have extra budget, that's beyond the 2 trialists .

So it's not instead of.
It seems clear enough to me that some more money is available if needs be.

Maybe he also thinks it's better to see what he can get out of this squad than pushing too hard for further additions right now. His man management being one of the key reasons he got the job, sqeezing more from the resources we have, "sustainability" and all that.

The loan period could be very positive for us.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on July 31, 2018, 01:15:41 pm by silent majority »
SCMP states that a wage cap of 60% of turnover applies in LG1. However not much of this applies as the funding and turnover figures are applied at Club Doncaster level and not at DRFC level.

Interesting. I have no idea how the Club Doncaster thing effects us re the wage cap - is it positive for the owners, giving them some flexibility, ability to invest more than if were just DRFC?

That's more or less it. Plus the advantage of Club Doncaster gives you extra revenue streams but also extra sources of profit. Therefore we no longer rely on strictly football driven activities. The DNA card would be a classic example of driving the benefits of CD over DRFC.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on July 31, 2018, 01:17:03 pm by selby »
  There is common ground between his troubles long ago, and what happened at Bradford.
   The best thing Bradford City did for Paul Taylor was to treat his leaving as mutual consent.  If  not the situation would have reflected very poorly on both the club and Taylor himself.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on July 31, 2018, 01:39:05 pm by dickos1 »
I’d be happy with signing Taylor,
But it would mean we’re starting this season with a significantly lower wage bill than we ended last season.
Regardless of what anyone says, that’s a fact

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on July 31, 2018, 01:47:03 pm by Copps is Magic »
  There is common ground between his troubles long ago, and what happened at Bradford.
   The best thing Bradford City did for Paul Taylor was to treat his leaving as mutual consent.  If  not the situation would have reflected very poorly on both the club and Taylor himself.

Don't beat around the bush. If you've got something to say, say it. Otherwise it just makes me think you can't substantiate what you're implying.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on July 31, 2018, 01:48:52 pm by The Red Baron »
I think Taylor is one of those where you have to trust the manager's judgment. He knows him as a player and what he can do and presumably he's seen enough in training to believe that Taylor has still got it.

Also it is possible that Taylor has realised he's running out of last chances and taken some action to sort himself out. And if he messes this one up, it won't just be himself he's letting down.

I don't expect that whatever deal he signs will be a long one or involve big wages. Also we probably won't see much of him early doors, as his fitness will need to be worked on.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on July 31, 2018, 02:01:30 pm by RedJ »
But it would mean we’re starting this season with a significantly lower wage bill than we ended last season.

Yes. But that does not mean that there isn't money to be spent. My employers are significantly below budget on salaries - the money is still there though if they chose to spend it.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on July 31, 2018, 02:20:33 pm by dickos1 »
Yes I understand that point, but everyone can see that we need strengthening so surely McCann can.

If your employers were drastically understaffed then they’d spend some of the left over money

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on July 31, 2018, 02:24:16 pm by Chris Black come back »

Christ it is like Brexit. No hard evidence just assertion - now THAT is a fact!

Agree on Taylor though. Will be exciting Russian roulette.

Still need a credible proper central midfielder as at present we only have 1.5 on the books.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on July 31, 2018, 02:48:54 pm by selby »
    Copps, I have nothing to say that will alter Doncaster Rovers decision either way on the subject. If I shouted what I know from the rooftops it would make no difference.
   Would I sign him no,  and my opinion. do I hope it is in his past and he does well for us if he does come here, of course I do, and that is as much as you or anyone else needs to know.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on July 31, 2018, 02:56:50 pm by mpc123 »

Does it matter, if we went up and had a lesser wage bill or does it have to be through the roof to make a point, ridiculous.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012