Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 04:37:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Alick Jeffery  (Read 4070 times)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
Alick Jeffery
« on August 01, 2018, 06:51:52 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I was having a chat with my Dad last week and he was talking about Alick Jeffery. I’m too young to have seen him play but he was sharing stories about his incredible skill and how, with a bit of good luck, he could have been one of the best players in England and beyond.

He has a memory of an away game at (he thinks) Peterborough in the late 60’s and there were so many Rovers fans stood behind the goal that at half time they simply climbed over the wall and walked en masse across the pitch and took over the Peterborough end behind the opposite goal! Anyway, he has a very vague memory of Peterborough getting a penalty during the game and while The Peterborough player was waiting to take the kick, Alick walked up to the Rovers keeper, whispered something in his ear then walked out of the penalty area. The Peterborough player then skied the ball over the cross bar! This is a fairly common practice now but back in the 60’s it was so unusual that it was mentioned on Radio 2 sports report after the match!!

I was wondering if any of our more ‘mature’ members remember this or were at the same game! My Dad would love to know that he’d not imagined it!!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Alick Jeffery
« Reply #1 on August 01, 2018, 06:55:34 pm by silent majority »
I saw him play on many an occasion. He was special that's for sure.

The Rovers fans did that end swap a few times, not sure if it was Peterborough but I remember doing it at Chesterfield and Rochdale.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 01, 2018, 07:05:32 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I saw him play on many an occasion. He was special that's for sure.

The Rovers fans did that end swap a few times, not sure if it was Peterborough but I remember doing it at Chesterfield and Rochdale.

Cheers SM

scorsby

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 01, 2018, 07:08:28 pm by scorsby »
My claim to fame playing against him when i think he played for is sons Sunday team i was playing up front he was in middle of park not moving much but pinging balls about I slid it took the ball away and he kicked straight up in the air and called me cheeky t**t  : :boxing:

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 01, 2018, 07:17:28 pm by Alickismyhero »
 I regret to admit, I am, as you say, a mature supporter.

I left Yorkshire September 1966 just after England won the World Cup. I have very fond memories of Alick, Sheffield, Potter, Braodbent, Nicholas, etal Especially the season when Kevin Hector of Bradford was  competing against Alick for the highest number of goals and if my memory is correct Alick scored about 39 that season, I am sure someone will look it up.
I will never forget that night Alick gave me my runners up medal when my school lost in the area cup final. The result wasn't important it was the fact that Alick gave me it

On a sad note I found it very upsetting when I saw Alick, after his football career was over,  as the landlord at the Fox PH in Stainy not one of the best pubs in Yorkshire, I will say no mre, standing below his 3 England caps he kept above the bar.

He deserved better but he will always be my hero it can never change even at 68 years of age,

"THE KING".

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 01, 2018, 07:20:45 pm by Alickismyhero »
The change of end thing was a regular thing at Belle View games.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 01, 2018, 07:26:05 pm by drfchound »
I also saw AJ play for us in the sixties.
He was the best player on the pitch week in,week out.
Those 39 goals were 36 in the league and three in the cup ( without checking) and he was the top scorer in all four divisions that season.

On the change of ends thing, we used to do it on a regular basis back then.

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 01, 2018, 08:25:34 pm by bradford exile »
Can't remember that but I'll check through my scrapbooks see what I can find. Only go back to 65/66. But I'll see what I can dig out. Regards. Ray

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 01, 2018, 08:35:19 pm by silent majority »

Yes but that was walking around the pitch. I distinctly remember Rovers fans walking down the middle of the pitch to get to the opposite end. Pitch invasion style!

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 01, 2018, 08:48:47 pm by Alickismyhero »
That is correct it was a mass movement around the stands but as you say not across the pitch.

I also recall the action of our supporters at the Rossington end when they got a little excited in a game and the known idiots would forcefully run forward taking innocent people with them. As a result my family moved away from that area behind the goal.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 01, 2018, 08:49:32 pm by drfchound »

Yes but that was walking around the pitch. I distinctly remember Rovers fans walking down the middle of the pitch to get to the opposite end. Pitch invasion style!

We did it at Grimsby SM.
Mid to late sixties, can’t remember exactly what year.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 01, 2018, 08:52:28 pm by Chris Black come back »
Not many other clubs can boast a colossus like we had in King Alick.

All those goals aside, to come back from having your leg and heart broken and your glittering career stolen at such a young age, to then have such a second coming.

What a giant. What mental strength.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 01, 2018, 08:53:28 pm by RedJ »
Bet we'd have kept him if we'd had a bigger budget at the time. :silly:

:coat:

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 01, 2018, 09:22:58 pm by bradford exile »
And I'll never forgive McMenemy for showing him the door. Regards. Ray

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 01, 2018, 09:31:43 pm by scawsby steve »
I was having a chat with my Dad last week and he was talking about Alick Jeffery. I’m too young to have seen him play but he was sharing stories about his incredible skill and how, with a bit of good luck, he could have been one of the best players in England and beyond.

He has a memory of an away game at (he thinks) Peterborough in the late 60’s and there were so many Rovers fans stood behind the goal that at half time they simply climbed over the wall and walked en masse across the pitch and took over the Peterborough end behind the opposite goal! Anyway, he has a very vague memory of Peterborough getting a penalty during the game and while The Peterborough player was waiting to take the kick, Alick walked up to the Rovers keeper, whispered something in his ear then walked out of the penalty area. The Peterborough player then skied the ball over the cross bar! This is a fairly common practice now but back in the 60’s it was so unusual that it was mentioned on Radio 2 sports report after the match!!

I was wondering if any of our more ‘mature’ members remember this or were at the same game! My Dad would love to know that he’d not imagined it!!

I was there that day Herbert; it was the first game of the season and scorching hot. Rovers' goals that day came from Alick, Laurie Sheffield, and an own goal. The only thing that spoiled it was the fact that we were winning 3-1 at one stage, and let them back in for a 3-3 draw.

As regards the supporters walking straight up the pitch to the other end, I know some people have said that it was a regular occurrence in those days, and it was, but never like that; there were thousands from Donny all walking en masse; the Posh fans looked absolutely gob-smacked.

I'll never forget it, what a day.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 01, 2018, 11:10:48 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Wasn't it Keith Kettleborough who showed him the door? I could be wrong like. Maybe Kettleborough just dropped him, hence his unpopularity, and McMenemy got rid later.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 02, 2018, 05:40:15 am by Donnywolf »

I was there that day Herbert; it was the first game of the season and scorching hot. Rovers' goals that day came from Alick, Laurie Sheffield, and an own goal. The only thing that spoiled it was the fact that we were winning 3-1 at one stage, and let them back in for a 3-3 draw.

As regards the supporters walking straight up the pitch to the other end, I know some people have said that it was a regular occurrence in those days, and it was, but never like that; there were thousands from Donny all walking en masse; the Posh fans looked absolutely gob-smacked.

Me too ... it was the first game of the Season and Rovers fans were everywhere in Peterborough.

As I read this thread I thought straight away of that game being the one where he did the Penalty "thing" and was pleased someone agreed / confimed my thoughts. It really did seem to freak the taker who I seem to think missed by "a mile"

I dont so much remember the swapping ends "incident" because althought the Penalty thing stood out as being new - swapping ends was commonplace especially at Home games

Final score 3-3 in a game we should have won easily

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 02, 2018, 07:09:49 am by Bentley Bullet »
I was there also. I remember supporters swinging on the crossbar before the game. Then the Rovers crowd going mad when Peterborough's captain John Wile (?) scored an early own goal.

I remember the stands at both ends being identical, and there was no stand, just terracing along the left-hand side.

It was to be a promising start to the season prior to the fatal car crash that killed captain John Nicholson and badly injured Jeffrey.

I don't remember the swapping ends either.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:12:57 am by Bentley Bullet »

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 02, 2018, 08:19:34 am by CottyRover »
Swapping ends was something that happened regularly at Belle Vue, as I recall, as you could move freely round the ground. The gates were opened after half time and I remember a match against Bradford City when our fans took exception to Bradford scoring. A large number ran round from the Rosso end. The Bradford fans at the other end shot out of the gates into the car park.
I seem to recall Alick doing the talking to the goalie before a penalty at Belle Vue.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 02, 2018, 08:52:17 am by The Red Baron »

Wasn't it Keith Kettleborough who showed him the door? I could be wrong like. Maybe Kettleborough just dropped him, hence his unpopularity, and McMenemy got rid later.

I think Kettleborough left him out, but it was McMenemy who showed him the door. He went to Lincoln City but wasn't there very long.

The odd thing is that although Rovers won the Division Four title that season, Alick finished top scorer despite leaving in January.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 02, 2018, 09:15:21 am by idler »

Me too ... it was the first game of the Season and Rovers fans were everywhere in Peterborough.

As I read this thread I thought straight away of that game being the one where he did the Penalty "thing" and was pleased someone agreed / confimed my thoughts. It really did seem to freak the taker who I seem to think missed by "a mile"

I dont so much remember the swapping ends "incident" because althought the Penalty thing stood out as being new - swapping ends was commonplace especially at Home games

Final score 3-3 in a game we should have won easily
I was there too. I thought that swinging on the crossbar was at half time. It was a lad from Balby called Ronnie Whitham, not a regular supporter by any means.
I thought that they went on and came back to the same side as we stayed behind the same goal all game. A decent start to the season and we were looking forward to it.
As a side note England were playing the Windies that day and listening to it on the car radio I'm sure it was the test where Brian Close ended up black and blue from their fast bowling.

arkseyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 02, 2018, 12:21:37 pm by arkseyrover »
I was there too. First match of the season after being promoted. Came shortly before the tragic accident that robbed us of John Nicholson. Can confirm all the events of the day outlined by the other posters but just want to highlight that Alick was one of the most iconic players I have ever seen. He was capable of doing anything with a football and would have been a fixture in the England team for years to come. Who knows what England would have won with Alick and the Busby Babes who died at Munich. He ranked with the best Pele, Best, Eusabio etc

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 02, 2018, 01:29:09 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Legend has it that King Alick breaking his leg probably saved his life, as he would have been in the Munich air disaster if he hadn't.

It's also been claimed that Bobby Charlton wouldn't have been a household name for Man Utd either because Jeffrey would have taken his place in the team.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 02, 2018, 02:32:41 pm by NickDRFC »
Legend has it that King Alick breaking his leg probably saved his life, as he would have been in the Munich air disaster if he hadn't.

It's also been claimed that Bobby Charlton wouldn't have been a household name for Man Utd either because Jeffrey would have taken his place in the team.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 02, 2018, 02:53:15 pm by graingrover »
I regret that the interview the club did last year with Harry Gregg was never broadcast to fans . He better than anyone could tell us stories of the YOUNG AJ who was 16 yrs old when they played together. Alick was destined to join the Busby Babes that Gregg had already joined ..then he broke his leg playing or England U 24 v France bringing to an end his dream of stardom.Gregg was transfered for a record for a goalkeeper at the time  £23000..AJ 's fee would have been double that ..Rovers were paid £4000 Insurance compensation by FA.   

Envoyé de mon EVA-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 02, 2018, 02:56:09 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Brilliant memories. Thanks for sharing everyone!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 02, 2018, 02:58:59 pm by RedJ »
I regret that the interview the club did last year with Harry Gregg was never broadcast to fans . He better than anyone could tell us stories of the YOUNG AJ who was 16 yrs old when they played together. Alick was destined to join the Busby Babes that Gregg had already joined ..then he broke his leg playing or England U 24 v France bringing to an end his dream of stardom.Gregg was transfered for a record for a goalkeeper at the time  £23000..AJ 's fee would have been double that ..Rovers were paid £4000 Insurance compensation by FA.   

They did broadcast a Harry Gregg interview in the stadium the day Brian Deane was inducted into the hall of fame (for reasons that remain beyond me). Just nobody could hear it.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 02, 2018, 03:18:32 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Brilliant memories. Thanks for sharing everyone!
Always a pleasure to reminisce about our greatest ever player from the past. I feel Laurie Sheffield should get a mention also as a legend.

One day some  of us will talk of Copps as a similar legend.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 03:21:15 pm by Bentley Bullet »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 02, 2018, 03:21:45 pm by RoversAlias »

They did broadcast a Harry Gregg interview in the stadium the day Brian Deane was inducted into the hall of fame (for reasons that remain beyond me). Just nobody could hear it.

Deane was one of many going in that day, wasn't he? Alongside Gregg and a few others.

I agree though that the interview was impossible to hear properly and I've no idea why it wasn't made available elsewhere.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 02, 2018, 03:37:13 pm by RedJ »

Deane was one of many going in that day, wasn't he? Alongside Gregg and a few others.

I agree though that the interview was impossible to hear properly and I've no idea why it wasn't made available elsewhere.

Aye, he was. I seem to remember the bloke on the mic spent ages and ages with him and then had to rush the last one or two as the players were coming back out.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012