Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 09:12:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Well that window shut with a whimper  (Read 9981 times)

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
Well that window shut with a whimper
« on August 09, 2018, 05:04:07 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Marquis safe until January then, you can stop cowering behind the sofa now

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Well that window shut with a whimper
« Reply #1 on August 09, 2018, 05:14:46 pm by selby »
  Just come out of hiding, there is a god in heaven, or is it other teams scouts who don't know what they are watching?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 09, 2018, 05:58:56 pm by selby »
   I am sure if Grant had wanted to he could have wheeled and dealed some of our own players to bring some others in.
  We have to take it that,
   1) He is confident that he can get atune out of the players we already have, and that he is confident of his own ability to do so.
    2) If  he has to he can play the loan market, and get better value.
  I know some will be miffed we have not made any signings, I think he has been quite cute.
   If he pulls it off, his reputation in the lower leagues will be sky high.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 09, 2018, 06:04:11 pm by silent majority »
Personally, I think a combination of Gavin, supported by the rest of the board, and Grant, will see some excellent results further down the line.

I think its becoming obvious that Grant's enthusiasm is right for this club, and with Gavin in charge I think we are in a good place.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 09, 2018, 06:15:54 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Personally, I think a combination of Gavin, supported by the rest of the board, and Grant, will see some excellent results further down the line.

I think its becoming obvious that Grant's enthusiasm is right for this club, and with Gavin in charge I think we are in a good place.

Just need Lady Luck to come back off her vacation

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 09, 2018, 06:23:45 pm by raggytash »
Personally I think we haven’t invested nothing Sm tbh, if we were serious I think our level of signings in terms of quality would be much higher, actions speak louder than words and just for example our fringe players against Lincoln prove how weak we are after our first 11, nothing at all as been done to strengthen and our playing squad is a lot lower that last year as in senior pros ...

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 09, 2018, 06:27:00 pm by silent majority »
Personally I think we haven’t invested nothing Sm tbh, if we were serious I think our level of signings in terms of quality would be much higher, actions speak louder than words and just for example our fringe players against Lincoln prove how weak we are after our first 11, nothing at all as been done to strengthen and our playing squad is a lot lower that last year as in senior pros ...

You say that, but the owners have again committed to giving funds to DRFC that are in the region of £2m. We have a budget for the season that puts us right in the promotion mix, so I'm struggling to understand what you mean by being serious. Or even what you mean by actions speaking louder than words.

You need to try and tell us what you mean rather than just throwing out negative comments.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 09, 2018, 06:55:49 pm by wing commander »
I think he means we haven't investedmuch in the future.. Loans are okay but don't benefit us longer term, and as much as I'm always positive and still am,i don't think you can be to surprised that a lot of fans are a bit dissapointed with what we've brought in on permanents this window.. 

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 09, 2018, 06:58:29 pm by bobjimwilly »
I think we've got a good league 1 squad and realistically we should be aiming for a top half finish. Nowt wrong with that in my eyes.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 09, 2018, 07:09:42 pm by silent majority »
I think he means we haven't investedmuch in the future.. Loans are okay but don't benefit us longer term, and as much as I'm always positive and still am,i don't think you can be to surprised that a lot of fans are a bit dissapointed with what we've brought in on permanents this window.. 

Yes, but as a business man you will appreciate you can only invest your money once, when it's gone it's gone.

Loans are a fact of life these days, whilst ever EPL Academies are scooping up all the available talent we have to adopt a similar policy to other clubs in and around where we are.  Insisting on signing players on permanent contracts inevitably would mean a decline in the standard of player.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 09, 2018, 07:11:53 pm by since-1969 »
Well I think the majority of you would agree that now the transfer window as closed, questions need answering!! Baldwin as been exposed as the puppet he his... the board have no investment plans on the playing front... look at the out goings compared with players incoming.... it’s a non comparison... the fans have been lied too again... sack the board!!!

The board are NOT going beyond the point of no return . A budget is sensible but if you have ambitions, if there has to be investment based on exceptable risk of which looses will be covered and in our  case losses have not been factored into the budget . GM sold himself to the board because he was cheep and willing to tow a line of austerity. We do have a good set of players how imo will keep us up but not much else .

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 09, 2018, 07:13:47 pm by RedJ »
Ah here we go, another who seems to think he was in the recruitment process and knows the 'real' reason McCann was hired.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 09, 2018, 07:27:11 pm by dickos1 »

I’m happy with mcann and happy with our board, my only concern is if you look at our squad 12 months ago it was stronger than it is now.
Doesn’t matter how much we spent back then or if we’ve spent more or less now, the fact is, in my opinion we’ve got a weaker squad both in numbers and quality than we had 12 months ago.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 09, 2018, 07:36:00 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Well I think the majority of you would agree that now the transfer window as closed, questions need answering!! Baldwin as been exposed as the puppet he his... the board have no investment plans on the playing front... look at the out goings compared with players incoming.... it’s a non comparison... the fans have been lied too again... sack the board!!!

The board are NOT going beyond the point of no return . A budget is sensible but if you have ambitions, if there has to be investment based on exceptable risk of which looses will be covered and in our  case losses have not been factored into the budget . GM sold himself to the board because he was cheep and willing to tow a line of austerity. We do have a good set of players how imo will keep us up but not much else .

Absolute drivel

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 09, 2018, 07:38:33 pm by raggytash »
Nothing personal Sm, I just say it how it is, if they really wanted a go at it they could, but it’s stagnant mate, I bet the wage bill is a massive saving this year and all this about budgets is rubbish too, theve signed nobody who’s on an earner and it’s all done on the cheap,  I’ll guarantee Rowe and wright go at the end of the season??? Fancy a bet??

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 09, 2018, 07:39:17 pm by RedJ »
Change the record, mate.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 09, 2018, 07:41:29 pm by selby »
  1969, no football manager is cheap, the better value is in the loan market for two reasons for us this season.
   It gives our new manager more time to assess where we need improving, and there is a better standard of player available for the money, and more choice.
  All the players who are not in their clubs thoughts and were up for transfer up to 5 o'clock today are now up for loan, plus players who do not make the premiership squads and those without clubs.
   Dickos, I can see your logic in numbers and quality, but I am hoping, and don't think it will be very hard, to make better use of the players at his disposal, especially positional, and probably tactically. Baudry and Williams were no good to us sat watching.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 09, 2018, 07:43:51 pm by drfchound »
  1969, no football manager is cheap, the better value is in the loan market for two reasons for us this season.
   It gives our new manager more time to assess where we need improving, and there is a better standard of player available for the money, and more choice.
  All the players who are not in their clubs thoughts and were up for transfer up to 5 o'clock today are now up for loan, plus players who do not make the premiership squads and those without clubs.
   Dickos, I can see your logic in numbers and quality, but I am hoping, and don't think it will be very hard, to make better use of the players at his disposal, especially positional, and probably tactically. Baudry and Williams were no good to us sat watching.

Nor was Andrew, and he is available now.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 09, 2018, 07:49:18 pm by dickos1 »

I agree mcann May get more out of the players and that’s still to be seen.
But my worry is injuries, if we get the injuries we got last year, mcann will be struggling
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 08:30:50 pm by dickos1 »

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 09, 2018, 08:09:55 pm by pib »

Yes, but as a business man you will appreciate you can only invest your money once, when it's gone it's gone.

Loans are a fact of life these days, whilst ever EPL Academies are scooping up all the available talent we have to adopt a similar policy to other clubs in and around where we are.  Insisting on signing players on permanent contracts inevitably would mean a decline in the standard of player.

Not quite correct. If you invest it wisely and get a 3x, 4x or 10x return, you reinvest it again (or trouser it).

Investment in football seems to mean a completely different thing though.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 09, 2018, 08:15:39 pm by drfchound »

.......and you both know for sure that we are not bringing in any players on loan then.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 09, 2018, 08:20:25 pm by selby »
  Agreed about injuries Dickos, but at least  we now have a chance of getting cover on loan if we need to, the board did go the extra mile for Fergie when he needed them to,

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 09, 2018, 08:59:41 pm by Spilsby Red »
Squad stronger 12 months ago !! Maybe on paper but when played in the wrong positions it isn’t. Squad now, as I see it, good players, a further year experience, also them playing in the right position could actually prove stronger than 12 months ago.
If we get injuries, yes if. I am sure GM will cope. Every club has injuries.
If we signed lots of players, they could have been rubbish, got injured. Dressing room split.   
He hasn’t gone over board as he felt he didn’t have to. Which actually could work in our favour. Players feel happy there are being trusted.
No one has a crystal ball, let’s get behind all at the club and enjoy the ride. There will be ups as well as downs.

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 09, 2018, 09:07:59 pm by raggytash »
I’d love to know what you’ve been watching last 18 month?? Saturday was bad too but a great day out in the end, any team what attacks us with pace will hammer us

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 09, 2018, 09:14:49 pm by dickos1 »
Squad stronger 12 months ago !! Maybe on paper but when played in the wrong positions it isn’t. Squad now, as I see it, good players, a further year experience, also them playing in the right position could actually prove stronger than 12 months ago.
If we signed lots of players, they could have been rubbish, got injured. Dressing room split.   
He hasn’t gone over board as he felt he didn’t have to. Which actually could work in our favour. Players feel happy there are being trusted.
No one has a crystal ball, let’s get behind all at the club and enjoy the ride. There will be ups as well as downs.

Well that’s what we’re talking about, “on paper” irrelevant wherher you think manager played them out of position.
We had a better squad of players last August than we have now, the manager might do better with them. But we should be getting stronger every year not standing still

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 09, 2018, 09:20:30 pm by DearneValleyRover »

Well that’s what we’re talking about, “on paper” irrelevant wherher you think manager played them out of position.
We had a better squad of players last August than we have now, the manager might do better with them. But we should be getting stronger every year not standing still

That’s your opinion based on your obsession on wages, I personally don’t feel we are weaker in fact with Wilks slightly stronger

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 09, 2018, 09:24:57 pm by dickos1 »
Obsession with wages?
I didn’t even mention wages,I even said regardless of what we spent them or whether it’s more or less now??
Should read what I’ve put before trying to start another slanging match

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 09, 2018, 09:35:12 pm by Spilsby Red »
Saturday was bad ??? We scored three goals. People were moaning we didn’t score many last season. Yes marko kept us in the game, that’s his job. They came back at us at the end. But I saw the team battling. A big difference. And I do not think we have stood still. But, that’s my opinion. I am looking at the positive side.
Gets me how many want to be negative and be critical. However, your choice.
We will lose games, I know that but why not be optimistic and think it could be good

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on August 09, 2018, 09:50:37 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Obsession with wages?
I didn’t even mention wages,I even said regardless of what we spent them or whether it’s more or less now??
Should read what I’ve put before trying to start another slanging match

You have posted numerous times about wages and I’m not starting anything just picking up on your opinion which I disagree with. I still believe we will utilise the loan window to far greater effect than previous managers have and don’t feel we are weaker, one of the things not mentioned is that we don’t have a near new team to bed in as well as a new formation

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 09, 2018, 09:53:53 pm by wing commander »

I get what your saying mate and agree with what your saying up to a point, but it's all about balance and for me I feel we haven't gone far enough with investment at this stage of the season, I accept there is budget available for January if needed but again that's just loans.. There is no resale value in players like Taylor and obviously not the loanees...Clubs at our level are still managing to find players,develop them,get the benefit and then sell them for a few million...something we don't seem able to do... 

TinyPortal © 2005-2012