Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 10:41:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: One in one out...  (Read 17536 times)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: One in one out...
« Reply #120 on August 23, 2018, 08:31:45 pm by Alan Southstand »
Alias, wind your neck in! We’re having a discussion and, guess what, this is where we debate these kind of things. Who and where are these ‘people’ that moaned about Kane, Rowe and Marquis? Furthermore, no-one is being negative - far from it. I’m thinking about the welfare and progression of our team and squad and I’m acutely aware of our stated target of top 6 and I certainly don’t want anything to get in the way of that goal being achieved.

Calm down, young man.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on August 23, 2018, 09:34:24 pm by RoversAlias »
My neck doesn't need winding in nor do I need patronising by you Alan.

I'm happy for there to be debate, obviously since this is a forum, but I am about at the end of my tether with every single thing the Rovers do needing to be criticised in some ways. It's not always the same people but it's usually the same kind of thing and I just don't see the need for it.

I'm frustrated by the negativity is all, I didn't say anything that wasn't expressed calmly. Go back and find the threads when Kane came in, or even when Marquis etc. came in if you wish to go that far. You will find the same kinds of comments and it didn't take long for these players to start receiving universal praise on here because their performances warranted it and the manager's decision to bring them in was soon vindicated.

I choose to approach such signings in a positive manner and hope they all turn out like Marquis rather than like Kongolo.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on August 23, 2018, 09:44:08 pm by Alan Southstand »
You know what they say - if you can't stand the heat......

If your tether is reaching its end perhaps try something else to do in your spare time!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on August 23, 2018, 09:54:46 pm by RoversAlias »
Alright Alan.

I am actually trying to discuss the topic at hand here but if that's all you can say in response, then maybe it's best to leave it.

I enjoy debating all things Rovers on here or else I wouldn't bother. It's miles better than on social media and there isn't really anywhere else away from match days that I find people keen to discuss our little football club. I just don't agree with how much negativity I often have to read when I do come on here.

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on August 23, 2018, 09:55:25 pm by Paul Simpson »
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Take Crawford for example. Was he worth the risk ? I think so because he is a quality player but that is the gamble isn’t it.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on August 23, 2018, 09:59:07 pm by Filo »
Every player is always one tackle away from a career ending injury, it's football and the nature of the beast

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on August 23, 2018, 10:01:22 pm by drfchound »
Way people are going on you’d think he hasn’t played in 5 years or something.
The reality is he’s had two totally unrelated injuries and has played plenty of games previous to that without being injured all the time.

Exactly, Danny Andrew missed most of last season with a bad injury but I haven’t seen anyone complaining that he is not good enough or fit enough this season.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on August 23, 2018, 10:32:50 pm by RedJ »
Alright Alan.

I am actually trying to discuss the topic at hand here but if that's all you can say in response, then maybe it's best to leave it.

I enjoy debating all things Rovers on here or else I wouldn't bother. It's miles better than on social media and there isn't really anywhere else away from match days that I find people keen to discuss our little football club. I just don't agree with how much negativity I often have to read when I do come on here.

People moaned when Rob Jones came in.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #128 on August 23, 2018, 10:35:35 pm by since-1969 »
Has it been confirmed as to who the next player to come in IS? It does seem that GM plays his cards close to his chest for a reason and that is maybe because until they sign they are not our to talk about .

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on August 23, 2018, 11:47:06 pm by RoversAlias »
Alright Alan.

People moaned when Rob Jones came in.

Yep. He was too old, he was too unsteady on his feet due to his size, Sharp had annihilated him at Glanford Park in a previous season.

He turned out to be arguably one of our best ever defenders and a monster of a captain. It's a great example that.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on August 24, 2018, 07:56:56 am by Jonathan »
I’ll hold my hands up and say I probably had a moan when Kane came in. I’d wanted us to add some more experience in midfield. Plus I’m never keen on relying on the loan market when there’s no chance of a permanent deal. But I have to say from what I’ve seen of him so far he looks an exceptional young player with a great work rate and attitude. Can’t ask for much more than that as a fan.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on August 24, 2018, 07:58:00 am by steve@dcfd »
So after all the debate and the reminiscing about old players will we sign another midfield player of quality to keep up the aim of top six. We still are short of quality below the first 11/12. In fact in some posters eyes we don’t  have that many quality players now so more would be welcome. We have had an ok start but we have to continue to maintain the goal the club and manager has set.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:19:27 am by steve@dcfd »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on August 24, 2018, 10:13:12 am by steve@dcfd »
Way people are going on you’d think he hasn’t played in 5 years or something.
The reality is he’s had two totally unrelated injuries and has played plenty of games previous to that without being injured all the time.

Exactly, Danny Andrew missed most of last season with a bad injury but I haven’t seen anyone complaining that he is not good enough or fit enough this season.
We missed him last season and he has shown this season so far why. Yet Alias believes at the moment we don’t need to tie him down further because he might break down again. One would hope that is not the case.
So signing a loan player who was out longer than Danny all be it only a loan and may be on more money is ok. If he does come here and he does have the right attributes but he might breakdown, the manager and the club will decide if the risk is worth taking until at least January.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 10:17:26 am by steve@dcfd »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on August 24, 2018, 10:16:36 am by RoversAlias »
That isn't what I said but sure.

I don't think the point I was making was too difficult to understand but maybe I'm wrong because more than one person is having a difficult time with it.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on August 24, 2018, 10:25:27 am by steve@dcfd »
Alias page 4 you said Andrew may get a season long injury after we give him a two year deal so it’s better to wait to give him a contract.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on August 24, 2018, 10:39:46 am by RoversAlias »
And if you read the whole post I was speaking to a wider point about offering contracts to players further in advance than is necessary and having it blow up in our faces like it did several times under Darren Ferguson. I wasn't actually saying that I don't think Andrew (or anyone else) is worth a new deal.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on August 24, 2018, 02:05:22 pm by Alan Southstand »
I'm struggling to see who we desperately need to make sure we keep. Mason maybe, but what if say Andrew gets another season-ending knee injury right after we sign him to a new 2 year deal?

Perhaps you need to edit that bit about 'another season-ending injury' then, as, at best, it's contradictory.

Anyway, enough already.

Anyone heard any news - it seems to have gone quiet on the 'one in'?

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on August 24, 2018, 02:12:31 pm by wing commander »
  If there is somebody imminent what time do they have to be registered for to make the squad tomorrow?? I suspect it's already done but they are leaving it till the last minute to keep the opposition guessing..lol

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on August 24, 2018, 02:23:01 pm by Retdon1 »
Seen that Fleetwood are in talks with Wes Hoolahan who’s a free agent.... he would be a good signing in league 1

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on August 24, 2018, 02:47:14 pm by scawsby steve »
  If there is somebody imminent what time do they have to be registered for to make the squad tomorrow?? I suspect it's already done but they are leaving it till the last minute to keep the opposition guessing..lol

I may be completely wrong WC, but I believe it's noon on match-day; I think Martin will probably know.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on August 24, 2018, 02:48:04 pm by wing commander »
As late as that..cheers Steve

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #141 on August 24, 2018, 02:51:24 pm by DRNaith »
Seen that Fleetwood are in talks with Wes Hoolahan who’s a free agent.... he would be a good signing in league 1

It's a risk, he had an injury once.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on August 24, 2018, 03:00:18 pm by RoversAlias »
I'm struggling to see who we desperately need to make sure we keep. Mason maybe, but what if say Andrew gets another season-ending knee injury right after we sign him to a new 2 year deal?

Perhaps you need to edit that bit about 'another season-ending injury' then, as, at best, it's contradictory.

Anyway, enough already.

Anyone heard any news - it seems to have gone quiet on the 'one in'?

I don't need to edit it because once again, I was speaking to a wider point. I guarantee you that if Andrew goes down with a bad injury after being given a bumper new contract you'll have plenty of fans on here complaining that we handed out a long-term deal to a player we now can't use.

It had nothing to do with Andrew specifically, it was an example based on his recent history and I did the same for every player on that alleged Out of Contract list.

Clubs at our level don't generally hand the whole squad new long term deals early in the season for all the reasons I stated in that post. Players' get bad injuries, or don't live up to early potential or fall out of favour as the season wears on. We may have a dozen first teamers out of contract next summer but no one is coming in with offers for them until at least the winter time and until then, when the season is much further along and McCann and his staff have a much better idea of who is and isn't valuable enough to warrant new contracts we shouldn't be worrying about the fact so many are into their final year. It's the same at most clubs in League One.

Other people grasped my point quite easily because it was a simple one. For some reason you want to keep going round in circles on it.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #143 on August 24, 2018, 03:27:11 pm by dickos1 »
If McCann was tying up loose ends yesterday you’d think we should be hearing something shortly

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #144 on August 24, 2018, 03:35:30 pm by DRNaith »
I guess it might depend on how long the ends are.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on August 24, 2018, 03:37:28 pm by albie »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on August 24, 2018, 04:14:35 pm by drfchound »
I still don’t get why some people don’t want us to take loan players at all.
Clubs like ourselves have to take some players on loan to get us through the season financially.
I doubt that there is a L1 or L2 club that hasnt any loan players.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 04:50:34 pm by drfchound »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on August 24, 2018, 04:43:11 pm by steve@dcfd »
The time we taking to sign this “one in” it would take us weeks to sign our quota in loans.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 04:54:04 pm by steve@dcfd »

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on August 24, 2018, 04:49:32 pm by aidanstu »
I still don’t get why some people don’t want us to take loan players at all.
Clubs like ourselves have to take some players on loan to get us through the season financially.
I doubt that there is a L1 or L2 club that ha#nt any loan players.

We have also managed to pave the way for some
Very good permanent signings by taking them on loan initially.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #149 on August 24, 2018, 04:51:03 pm by silent majority »
The time we taking to sign this “one in” it would take us weeks to sign are quota in loans.

Maybe the club are talking to more than one?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012