Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 02:43:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: One in one out...  (Read 17517 times)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Re: One in one out...
« Reply #60 on August 22, 2018, 12:40:07 am by steve@dcfd »
Going back to the thread it says one in one out. Well McCullough gone where’s the better player coming in. GB said in the supporters meeting we didn’t have to get rid of players to get new ones in if the manager thought they would improve the side. We still need a better player for the middle three let’s hope that happens before Saturday. We also need another front three player. We have Marquis and Wickes. So over to GB and GM to get a player at least two would be preferable .

Just seen Vieira won’t be signing I hope he was not the one in.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 07:20:41 am by steve@dcfd »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on August 22, 2018, 09:04:10 am by silent majority »
Going back to the thread it says one in one out. Well McCullough gone where’s the better player coming in. GB said in the supporters meeting we didn’t have to get rid of players to get new ones in if the manager thought they would improve the side. We still need a better player for the middle three let’s hope that happens before Saturday. We also need another front three player. We have Marquis and Wickes. So over to GB and GM to get a player at least two would be preferable .

He wasn't. Grant will be finalising things today.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on August 22, 2018, 09:45:07 am by steve@dcfd »

Ok SM thankyou

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on August 22, 2018, 10:16:14 am by GazLaz »

Is Wickes the new Sharpe?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on August 22, 2018, 10:39:41 am by Bristol Red Rover »

Is Wickes the new Sharpe?
Mind your B&Q's, that would be Wilko.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on August 22, 2018, 05:25:28 pm by scawsby steve »

Martin, does that mean the deal with the new player is practically wrapped up, and he could be available for Saturday?.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on August 22, 2018, 05:48:31 pm by Lesonthewest »
To
I know, that’s my point you can’t say we’re not good enough on that performance. One game means naff all.
We will play much worse than that this season, doesn’t mean we aren’t good enough for the top 6

My honest assessment Dickos is we are lacking quality in certain areas to sustain a top six spot, be it we play well or poorly, not with this eleven. It's especially evident when you are found wanting like the second half last night when the energy levels dropped. Yes it's great when the strikers are firing but when we are put on the back foot like last night we looked very average. Of course it may change with additions, but as it stands we are 2 or 3 short in my opinion.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on August 22, 2018, 06:39:05 pm by RedJ »

Martin, does that mean the deal with the new player is practically wrapped up, and he could be available for Saturday?.

Can't remember which one it was but one of the DFP lads said he was hoping to have one in for Saturday so probably.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on August 22, 2018, 06:54:07 pm by dickos1 »
To
I know, that’s my point you can’t say we’re not good enough on that performance. One game means naff all.
We will play much worse than that this season, doesn’t mean we aren’t good enough for the top 6

My honest assessment Dickos is we are lacking quality in certain areas to sustain a top six spot, be it we play well or poorly, not with this eleven. It's especially evident when you are found wanting like the second half last night when the energy levels dropped. Yes it's great when the strikers are firing but when we are put on the back foot like last night we looked very average. Of course it may change with additions, but as it stands we are 2 or 3 short in my opinion.

Our starting 11 is good enough, but the concern comes when we get injuries, suspensions etc.
But as was mentioned a few weeks ago we have plenty of cash left in the budget for these scenarios

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on August 22, 2018, 09:58:01 pm by Lesonthewest »
To

Our starting 11 is good enough, but the concern comes when we get injuries, suspensions etc.
But as was mentioned a few weeks ago we have plenty of cash left in the budget for these scenarios

Beg to differ on the first 11, but, if they stay fit & don't burn out maybe come January we will use the budget to strengthen for a top 6 challenge. 

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on August 22, 2018, 10:00:17 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Why wouldn't we?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on August 22, 2018, 10:43:55 pm by Jonathan »
Whoever comes in it’s another short term measure on loan.

What’s of concern to me is the scale of the task we’ve left ourselves with if we’re looking to the future i.e. not just to get through this season.

It’s not just the short term thinking of loan signings, but as things stand I think the following contracts expire at the end of this season:

Marosi
Lawlor
Mason
Wright
Butler
Andrew
Lund
Garratt
McCullough
Rowe
Coppinger
Taylor
Mandeville
May

That’s just off the top of my head. It doesn’t leave us with much.

There is a hell of a lot of work to do behind the scenes if we’re building something beyond the immediate term. And more short term loan signings only compound the problem.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on August 22, 2018, 10:52:01 pm by drfchound »
It is quite possible though that the club is already, or is planning to be in talks with a large number of those players about extending their current contracts.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on August 22, 2018, 10:54:51 pm by dickos1 »
Whoever comes in it’s another short term measure on loan.

What’s of concern to me is the scale of the task we’ve left ourselves with if we’re looking to the future i.e. not just to get through this season.

It’s not just the short term thinking of loan signings, but as things stand I think the following contracts expire at the end of this season:

Marosi
Lawlor
Mason
Wright
Butler
Andrew
Lund
Garratt
McCullough
Rowe
Coppinger
Taylor
Mandeville
May

That’s just off the top of my head. It doesn’t leave us with much.

There is a hell of a lot of work to do behind the scenes if we’re building something beyond the immediate term. And more short term loan signings only compound the problem.

I wasn’t aware of that to be honest

Surely we need to be offering contracts ASAP to mason, Wright, Andrew,

Would be nice to know from the club via Martin if this is in their immediate plans.
Other clubs will be offering contracts to them unless we sort it soon

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on August 23, 2018, 12:34:02 am by RoversAlias »
Some of those players may, by Christmas time, show they aren't worth a new deal or might not suit McCann's style or his personality. We've already seen this maybe with two on that list - McCullough and Mandeville.

So long as by Dec/Jan those clearly worth new deals are offered them I don't see the issue.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on August 23, 2018, 07:07:20 am by Jonathan »
I accept contract talks with some may be (probably / hopefully) ongoing, and that it’s highly likely that we won’t want to retain all of them. But it’s a lot of players, our entire back 5 and captain for starters, that are key members of the first team. There’s a lot of thinking to be done and if you keep padding out the team with loan signings without addressing the core of the squad then it creates difficulty.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on August 23, 2018, 07:33:43 am by dickos1 »
Some of those players may, by Christmas time, show they aren't worth a new deal or might not suit McCann's style or his personality. We've already seen this maybe with two on that list - McCullough and Mandeville.

So long as by Dec/Jan those clearly worth new deals are offered them I don't see the issue.

But surely the ones that have significant value need to be tied up otherwise we’re just going to lose them for free.
December/January will be too late, as other clubs will have already been in touch offering them deals

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on August 23, 2018, 08:06:39 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Maybe thats why we haven't spunked all the budget yet bearing in mind a few, with potential resale value, may need improved deals to stay. It was mentioned a while ago that we were going to be better at getting players tied down long term and not losing good players for nothing; Green, Spurr, G Roberts and probably loads more. So this is a good test of that. If we go into next summer with a lot of these still to sign new deals then i'll be really disappointed 

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on August 23, 2018, 08:21:49 am by Jonathan »
I would be happy if we used much of this season’s budget on sorting out contracts for our best players.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on August 23, 2018, 09:22:42 am by RedJ »
It is disappointing to see that so many are running down at once. Almost a whole squad there.

Whose contract ISN'T up next summer?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on August 23, 2018, 09:36:27 am by NickDRFC »
It is disappointing to see that so many are running down at once. Almost a whole squad there.

Whose contract ISN'T up next summer?

Going on that list and off the top of my head, Whiteman, Kiwomya, Marquis, Blair, Beestin and Anderson. I'm sure there's a lot happening behind the scenes but from the outside it's not looking pretty!

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on August 23, 2018, 09:37:19 am by bpoolrover »
I don't think gm had much option but to use the loan market a lot, he will have wanted to give the players here already  chance to prove themselves 1st

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on August 23, 2018, 09:54:48 am by silent majority »
Of course the club are fully aware of the situation and everything is in hand. I'm sure I've already mentioned that part of the budget will have to go on improved deals for certain members of the squad.

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on August 23, 2018, 09:59:34 am by deebee »
Rumour has it as Shaun McDonald from Wigan.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on August 23, 2018, 10:13:29 am by Filo »
Rumour has it as Shaun McDonald from Wigan.

Copps and Ali Crawford recently followed him on twitter

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on August 23, 2018, 10:25:22 am by dickos1 »
He’s a very good player

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on August 23, 2018, 10:41:27 am by NickDRFC »
He’s a very good player

Don't really know much about him but according to Wiki he didn't play a single minute last year - bad injury? Played most of their previous season in the Championship though so if fit he obviously has something about him.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on August 23, 2018, 10:45:38 am by RedJ »
He WAS quality, depends on what the injury has done to him as to whether he'll be shit hot or just shit though.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on August 23, 2018, 10:51:16 am by dickos1 »
He played against us once for Bournemouth and absolutely ran the game, since then I’ve followed his career and he’s played in the premiership a few times.
One of the best performances I’ve seen against us

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on August 23, 2018, 11:24:36 am by steve@dcfd »
Looking at the list of players 6/7 need to be sorted as soon as possible the others can be left until later.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012