Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 03:22:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Spine  (Read 3487 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Spine
« on November 17, 2018, 09:43:21 pm by scawsby steve »
I'm sure come January the board will back GM to the hilt for recruitments, and for me it needs to be quality over quantity. I think we're probably 3 players short of a potential top 6 side, and I believe those 3 players should constitute the actual spine of the team; a centre back, a central midfielder, and a centre forward.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

deebee

• Forum Member
Re: Spine
« Reply #1 on November 18, 2018, 08:55:13 am by deebee »
We are 3 points short of a top 6 side.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 18, 2018, 09:12:12 am by drfchound »
No, we are only goal difference out of a top six spot.

BigKeif

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 18, 2018, 09:19:27 am by BigKeif »
Even if we are just outside the top 6, I agree that we should sign a minimum of 3 quality players.

We shouldn’t rest on our laurels and think this side will be good enough until the end of the season and strengthen in the window because every good team adds 2/3 quality players every transfer window.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 18, 2018, 09:39:54 am by Bentley Bullet »
Putting a team together that is capable of promotion from league one is only the start of the battle unless that team is good enough to sustain Championship football.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 18, 2018, 09:44:43 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Tommy Rowe could add that bit of extra balance in midfield and the obvious goal threat. Of late the midfield hasn't been operating at it's best although Kane and Whiteman have been sound enough individually. With Blair, Crawford, Anderson, Copps all available in midfield then I don't see that area as a priority.

Centre half. Yes, we miss Wright leaving us with two similar big lads at the back, we could do with a more cerebral centre back who's more comfortable on the ball however these sort don't grow on trees but sooner or later we will need to look long term in that position for someone who can make that step up.

Inevitably, the remaining area is up top. I'm sure we'd snap someone's hand off if we could sign a consistent goalscorer, to both back up and compete with Marquis. Once again though, it's rare this sort of player comes available in January unless we bid for someone  who's looking for a move.

First and foremost though, we need to get the team back to playing with the same intensity and quality that was shown in the first 10 games!

1-0 to the Doncaster

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 18, 2018, 11:24:01 am by 1-0 to the Doncaster »
I would also add a goalkeeper to that list. We currently have 2 reasonable no 2 keepers neither of the consistent quality required. Experienced loan keepers are a plenty. I expect one to come in.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 18, 2018, 11:34:20 am by The Red Baron »
Two strikers (one to replace Wilks) and a versatile defender for me. (Cummings might be that man.)

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 18, 2018, 01:29:17 pm by colincramb »
Forget the championship, we are miles away

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 18, 2018, 01:32:16 pm by RedJ »
Forget the championship, we are miles away
We're 8th and level on points with 6th. You're making it sound as if we're a point above the drop zone.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 18, 2018, 02:21:36 pm by phil old leake »
If a keeper comes in expect one to go out.   Be careful what you ask for

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 18, 2018, 03:15:13 pm by GazLaz »
If you think we can improve on Rowe, Kane, Crawford and Whiteman in the centre of midfield you are very optimistic.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 18, 2018, 03:22:39 pm by mushRTID »
If a keeper comes in expect one to go out.   Be careful what you ask for
I would also add a goalkeeper to that list. We currently have 2 reasonable no 2 keepers neither of the consistent quality required. Experienced loan keepers are a plenty. I expect one to come in.

Agreed I think both our goalies are pretty average. Lawlor has been a huge disappointment.

Grant said when he joined that we had two of the best keepers in the league, I wonder if he’s changed his mind

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 18, 2018, 03:28:07 pm by Chris Black come back »
We are just about where we should be. Pushing to get in to play offs.

As I and many others said last season, our last manager was consistently underperforming. The current manager is 8 points up on last season and as a result we are just about on edge of play offs. Absent of some decent investment we need McCann to really kick on another level to keep us in the play offs. Personally this season is a punt and god only knows how we would cope in Championship next season should we even get a sniff.

All in all we are now where we should be given our budget and resources. Last season we were nowhere near and consistently underperforming. There were more excuses than points for most of last season while this season we are about par.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 18, 2018, 03:29:09 pm by mushRTID »

As I and many others said last season, our last manager was consistently underperforming. The current manager is 8 points up on last season and as a result we are just about on edge of play offs. Absent of some decent investment we need McCann to really kick on another level to keep us in the play offs. Personally this season is a punt and god only knows how we would cope in Championship next season should we even get a sniff.

All in all we are now where we should be given our budget and resources. Last season we were nowhere near and consistently underperforming. There were more excuses than points for most of last season while this season we are about par.

Can’t argue with any of that.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 18, 2018, 04:08:45 pm by RoversAlias »
I think we're alright with our two keepers. They both have flaws but they're also both clearly talented, and I'm much happier with Marosi and Lawlor than at any stage with our GK situation at any time since Sullivan was our undisputed #1. Aside from Johnstone, who was only a temporary addition, we have struggled to have anyone we can have any confidence in. Gary Woods? Stuckmann? Loanees like Ikeme, Steer etc. Honestly I think we could be in a much, much worse position with our goalkeeping roster than we are.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 18, 2018, 04:40:38 pm by andysly »
If we could only sign in one position I’d be looking for somebody to replace Wilks.
With Joe Wright back I think the defence is decent enough.
The midfield isn’t a problem.
It’s somebody to play alongside JM or even push him for his place we need. Or (whisper it) replace him if a bid comes in.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 18, 2018, 05:34:21 pm by Barmby Rover »
A good young centre half and another striker so we can rest Marquis and cover any injury to Wright, and drop Butler/Anderson if needs be.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 18, 2018, 06:21:24 pm by steve@dcfd »
In January we need a attacking forward who can play any of the front three positions this could be the hardest player to get. Decision whether to keep Wilks or replace him if we can.

Midfield we need one Anderson will go back to Peterborough, I wouldn’t buy him so needs replacing. Biggest problem if we can’t retain Kane then he will need replacing.

Centrehalf who can play left of the centre two and maybe sign Cummings to end of season.

So I’m looking like original poster for Three players with Cummings.
Plus retention of Kane and decision on Wilks.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 18, 2018, 06:49:07 pm by phil old leake »
As much as hate to say it we need a kitson like player

jm291

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 18, 2018, 07:30:50 pm by jm291 »
James Norwood from Tranmere... seems to score for fun. Can’t seem to see us spending big on anyone in Jan and sure he would want to challenge himself higher up.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on November 18, 2018, 07:36:46 pm by since-1969 »
January is not going to change anything . There is no quality out there that needs to go out on loan or sold on . Unless you make silly bids .

But a clearout HAS to happen or we will end up with a poor pool of players still under contract if you gain promotion the following season having retained too many of the present squad.  The down side is impossible to avoid if you tell those effected too soon . A lose of form will result.

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 18, 2018, 08:02:53 pm by southwestexile »
The only thing coming in up top would be a loanee, I wonder if Kane could spread the word at his parent club

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 18, 2018, 08:18:17 pm by the vicar »
am i right in thinking that we lost form and direction when Tommy Rowe got crocked

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on November 18, 2018, 08:47:01 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
No.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 18, 2018, 08:54:39 pm by RoversAlias »
am i right in thinking that we lost form and direction when Tommy Rowe got crocked

Completely incorrect. We went on a four match winning run in the league immediately after Rowe got injured and was replaced in the team by Blair.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on November 18, 2018, 08:59:49 pm by drfchound »

If we were to get promoted this season then I feel confident that we would find the money to add three or four Championship quality players for next season.
Given the increased revenue I don’t think it is an unreasonable assumption.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 18, 2018, 09:33:07 pm by scawsby steve »
If you think we can improve on Rowe, Kane, Crawford and Whiteman in the centre of midfield you are very optimistic.

Come on Gaz, you know it doesn't work like that; we've just had Rowe out for 10 weeks, and the way Kane is being deliberately clattered every week, it's only a question of time before he gets injured; and then there's the suspensions.

We need a stronger squad if we're to stay in touch for the whole season.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on November 19, 2018, 06:54:50 am by GazLaz »
How many quality players can we afford though? We can’t bring in better than them so anyone that comes in won’t start unless a couple of them (at least) go lame.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on November 20, 2018, 08:00:32 am by dickos1 »

I like mcann
But I’m not sure 8 points ahead of a season that’s been described as a disaster by many and with an increased budget is that outstanding really.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012