Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 03:22:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Herbie Kane  (Read 15316 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Herbie Kane
« Reply #30 on November 24, 2018, 07:24:37 pm by Donnywolf »
Might. Always look on the bright side of life. We better enjoy the rest of the games he plays for us then!

Already considering going to Fleetwood and Gillingham away games so I dont miss a second of his spell with Rovers

He will be a distant memory all to soon but I will relish every second I watch him. OUTSTANDING

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on November 24, 2018, 07:31:34 pm by dickos1 »
Liverpool signed him because he's a very talented footballer. He's intelligent, he can adapt his game. Ronaldo and Messi are not strikers but score goals for fun. A manager or coach worth their salt will not pigoen hole him but play him in areas that get the best out of him.

Herbie in a recent interview said he played up front as a youngster so he has the eye for goal and I think McCann is tapping into that talent.

No manager worth their salt would take their best player out of his preferred position and try him in another one

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on November 24, 2018, 07:45:55 pm by Copps is Magic »
Farce thread.

Crap - it’s a perfectly valid thread whether or not you agree with the posters..

It’s like saying you think May should play in goal. Ridiculous.

Go on then betting sage, how exactly is suggesting an attacking player might be effective upfront the same as putting a leprechaun striker in net?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on November 24, 2018, 08:26:53 pm by RoversAlias »
He's not an attacking player though is he. He's a combative midfielder.

Take Kane out of that midfield and see what happens to it. He's invaluable in that role, his tackling, his energy, his range of passing and distribution are all better than anyone else we have. Take that out of our midfield to have him chasing forward runs and see which way we go in the table. I doubt it'll be up.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on November 24, 2018, 08:46:03 pm by dickos1 »
He’s a central midfielder which means he helps the defence and then helps the attack.
You’re talking like it’s changing a number 10 into a number 9. It’s not.
Kane is everywhere on the pitch and his only role certainly isn’t attacking

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on November 24, 2018, 09:21:31 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Liverpool signed him because he's a very talented footballer. He's intelligent, he can adapt his game. Ronaldo and Messi are not strikers but score goals for fun. A manager or coach worth their salt will not pigoen hole him but play him in areas that get the best out of him.

Herbie in a recent interview said he played up front as a youngster so he has the eye for goal and I think McCann is tapping into that talent.

No manager worth their salt would take their best player out of his preferred position and try him in another one

The point I was making is that McCann has encouragehim to get into goalscoring positions and not be restricted to just midfield, his experience playing up front as a youth has helped his all round game. In the last few games he's been all over the pitch and trusts the players around him to do their jobs too and cover when he goes forward.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on November 24, 2018, 09:23:18 pm by dickos1 »

The point I was making is that McCann has encouragehim to get into goalscoring positions and not be restricted to just midfield, his experience playing up front as a youth has helped his all round game. In the last few games he's been all over the pitch and trusts the players around him to do their jobs too and cover when he goes forward.

Part of a central midfielders role has always been to score goals though, it’s nothing new

karlos

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on November 24, 2018, 09:24:21 pm by karlos »
Leave him where he is doing a good job and get a striker in who is going to score goals, this has been our problem for two years and I'm sorry Will's just isn't that man! Invest in a striker and the top six will come. If we don't then accept mid table but improve the side don't move him for the sake of it.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on November 24, 2018, 09:27:59 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Absolutely. In previous games we saw him passing the ball off more often than having a go himself. No need for a second invitation over the last 4 games.

We may compare him to Richie Wellens but Richie was pretty shot shy and tended to offload too often when well placed.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on November 24, 2018, 09:46:11 pm by pib »
Interesting comment from McCann in his post match, saying that they've worked on changing Kane's game since he came in, asking him to burst forward and get the ball on the front foot rather than dropping deep for the ball.

Worked to great effect today. The guy is class though tbf and could probably play anywhere on the pitch and look head and shoulders above most of League One.

Can't ignore Whitemans impact this season also. He was a bit meh in terms of his all round game last season (although he was scoring more) but under McCann he's really making us tick and breaking up play well.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on November 25, 2018, 08:47:30 am by Boomstick »
Would be more effective up front than May, and, most of the time, Marquis.

Discuss.

Why not try it. Or get a goal poacher in January McCann. We're going to fall short this season if we can't convert
No, you wouldn't play Gerrard as a striker would you?
IMO doing that would be a huge detriment to midfield, we need a striker

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on November 25, 2018, 09:04:58 am by mrfrostsdad »
The biggest issue for me is not how many goals we're scoring but how many we're conceding.
Yes, I know we've missed shed loads of chances recently, but if we could keep a clean sheet once in a while that would be a great start (if we'd kept a clean sheet yesterday we'd have won)
We haven't kept a single clean sheet away from home yet this season I don't think. We need a solid base to build on defensively and we don't have that. We can't defend set pieces per se.

Ok, it may mean a few 0-0's to start off with, but if we could get it right at the back we only need a scrappy goal and we've won. Up front, aside from Marquis (when was the last time he scored in a league game?) we're struggling. Don't think May is good enough at this level, Wilkes has gone downhill in my opinion. I don't think either of them are better than Mandeville. Billy Sharp would score a hatful in this team!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on November 25, 2018, 09:10:01 am by dickos1 »
It’s more to do with the way we set up.
We set out to create chances and score goals, we’d need to change our formation and some of the personnel would have to be altered if we wanted to set up for 0-0 draws

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on November 25, 2018, 09:31:09 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Exactly, and no one wants us to go defensive. We're playing some great football and it's not GMs philosophy!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on November 25, 2018, 10:03:46 am by Donnywolf »
Great football from both Teams yesterday mainly by us of course lol

Noticeable we cut out a lot of the "playing from the back" also  AND they always say Attack is the best form of Defence

Still very disappointed - nay gutted - that we failed to beat them but play like that more Rovers and I am looking forward to the Game Tuesday already !

Oh and I forgot it was a HK thread so how GOOD was the pass in the first half to Copps wide left and how good was Copps control of said pass. No need to answer as not many ever do - 10/10 in each case !

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on November 25, 2018, 11:35:08 am by mrfrostsdad »
We set out to create chances and score goals, we’d need to change our formation and some of the personnel would have to be altered if we wanted to set up for 0-0 draws
Exactly, and no one wants us to go defensive. We're playing some great football and it's not GMs philosophy!

I don't think it's the way we set up Dickos, I think what I'm saying is defensively we're not good enough. I think we need a centre half. Also, I think Andrew has been disappointing this season when he looked so good before he got injured last year.

Barry, I think defence is probably the biggest issue. If we don't stop shipping goals we won't get in the play offs I don't think.
You say we're playing some great football, I didn't go yesterday so can't comment on that, but last week we were awful against a very poor team.
Tuesday will be interesting. Blackpool have kept 10 clean sheets this season I think. If we'd done that we'd just about be top

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on November 25, 2018, 11:37:07 am by mrfrostsdad »
ps. To get back to the thread, we do need to keep Kane for the season. Probably been our best player

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on November 25, 2018, 01:38:43 pm by the vicar »
 We should not worry at minute till I happens, GM said yesterday after the game that it was not a rovers of Liverpool thing as all party's want him to stay here, he did say it was an agent problem

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on November 25, 2018, 01:40:28 pm by RedJ »
f**king parasites.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on November 25, 2018, 02:57:30 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Hopefully common sense prevails and Herbie has the final say.

Yes Baz, we have shipped too many goals but I wouldn't necessarily put it down to one thing or one player. We have to learn to defend better as a team. Whether that's being better organised at set pieces, defending higher up the pitch and being more cynical as we were earlier, and taking more yellows I still prefer Marosi who at least can catch a ball whereas Lawlor dropped a couple yesterday which causes all sorts of panic.

I think we saw yesterday with Mason, maybe that need for another cultured centre back is not quite so urgent.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on November 25, 2018, 04:33:13 pm by dickos1 »

I don't think it's the way we set up Dickos, I think what I'm saying is defensively we're not good enough. I think we need a centre half. Also, I think Andrew has been disappointing this season when he looked so good before he got injured last year.

Barry, I think defence is probably the biggest issue. If we don't stop shipping goals we won't get in the play offs I don't think.
You say we're playing some great football, I didn't go yesterday so can't comment on that, but last week we were awful against a very poor team.
Tuesday will be interesting. Blackpool have kept 10 clean sheets this season I think. If we'd done that we'd just about be top

But last season with the same players our defence was very good, but this was because fergie started setting us up to not get beat. And we played deep and let sides come onto us, our midfield and attack was a lot more defensive.
Playing as we do now, is much more entertaining and we’re creating far more chances but that is at the expense of keeping clean sheets.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on November 25, 2018, 06:54:37 pm by Alan Southstand »
I think we saw yesterday with Mason, maybe that need for another cultured centre back is not quite so urgent.

Agreed dbr, but we then need to fill the right back position with someone much better than Cummings! And Blair, as we all know, hates playing right back and he is more than a useful back up for either midfield 3 or even the front 3. I think Lund will be gone after this season and we need to be giving some serious thought to this. Mason has done a great job at RB but was even better in his preferred position yesterday. He has to be the most under-rated player on our books, when you consider what some of our supporters think about him!

January is going to be very interesting indeed and I keep saying it will define the rest of our season. The manager has already said we will be strengthening in a couple of positions and I would like to think both Anderson (loan) and, controversially, Wilkes (loan) maybe terminated and those 2 replaced with 2 better individuals.

An absolute no-brainer though is the extending of Herbie's stay.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 06:58:27 pm by Alan Southstand »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on November 25, 2018, 07:19:51 pm by drfchound »
Apart from the half a Mickey Mouse cup game, has anyone seen Cummings play?

If not it’s seems a bit harsh to judge him on that.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on November 25, 2018, 07:33:02 pm by RoversAlias »
Agreed Hound, he's had 45 minutes in a second class cup game and suddenly some have decided he isn't good enough?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on November 25, 2018, 07:45:02 pm by Donnywolf »
Agreed Hound, he's had 45 minutes in a second class cup game and suddenly some have decided he isn't good enough?

My Dad alwas instilled in me NOT to judge a man on one appearance - and I did watch Cummin(g)s for 45 Mins at Notts County so I have to wait for another game before passing judgement on him

I got closest to breaking this "rule" when I first saw Herbie. I was asked after 80 Mins of his debut - well what do you think. I told of the rule above.

The next Game HK played in he produced a great piece of skill after about 5 minutes so I said "thats it - I have not judged him on one appearance - Ive seen awhole game AND 5 minutes and hes great"

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on November 25, 2018, 07:48:57 pm by Donnywolf »
... and he IS

How do people like Kirkwoods Dad get bets on such as "he will Play for England one day - or before he is 25" ?

I would like a dabble on a bet like that !

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on November 25, 2018, 07:58:16 pm by dickos1 »

Agreed dbr, but we then need to fill the right back position with someone much better than Cummings! And Blair, as we all know, hates playing right back and he is more than a useful back up for either midfield 3 or even the front 3. I think Lund will be gone after this season and we need to be giving some serious thought to this. Mason has done a great job at RB but was even better in his preferred position yesterday. He has to be the most under-rated player on our books, when you consider what some of our supporters think about him!

January is going to be very interesting indeed and I keep saying it will define the rest of our season. The manager has already said we will be strengthening in a couple of positions and I would like to think both Anderson (loan) and, controversially, Wilkes (loan) maybe terminated and those 2 replaced with 2 better individuals.

An absolute no-brainer though is the extending of Herbie's stay.

How can you say we need someone much better than Cummings?
No way you can rate a player on 45 mins in a reserve game.
Lots of examples of players who started off not very good and became outstanding. Brain stock for one, John Doolan another

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on November 25, 2018, 08:59:46 pm by idler »
I remember seeing Darren Moore play against us for Torquay and we thrashes them.
I couldn't believe it when we later signed him but what a signing he was.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on November 25, 2018, 10:11:14 pm by Alan Southstand »
Dickos (and others who are struggling with the concept of people having opinions), my view is not even based on 45 mins v Notts County, as I wasn't there to watch it, thank goodness.

I am simply coming at it from a more long term view and am basing my opinion on the fact that he never pulled any trees up at his last club and he hasn't been doing anything since. Further, are you really going to try and tell me that he will be good enough for a side who are hoping to be a division higher as early as next season?

He could, of course, get a second wind and prove me very wrong, but I think his best days are probably behind him and the manager was trying to be 'canny' and further, hopefully, trying to protect the squad to cover for injury. I don't blame him for that and it was worth a punt, as they say. One for the future though - nah, not for me. We are trying to move onwards and upwards and we need younger, stronger and fitter defenders if we are to progress.

You will all have your own opinions on the matter, I appreciate that and respect other's views, but I don't have to agree with them.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012