Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 06:45:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Darren Ferguson  (Read 14906 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: Darren Ferguson
« Reply #60 on January 29, 2019, 03:38:46 pm by RoversAlias »
Lets just hope he’s not as good for them in his first 15 games as he was for us

In his second match in charge of us, we got beat 4-0 away by Peterborough and it should have been about 12-0. I'd be happy with a similar performance from his "new" club here in a couple of weeks.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on January 29, 2019, 04:12:29 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Why is it considered he did well in his first 15 games for us?

Played 15     Won 7      Drew 3      Lost 5     = 24 pts

That averaged 1.6 points per game which would have put us 11th in the final table had we kept that points per game average up. Even if he'd started the season with that points per game average we'd have only finished 8th.

Hardly fantastic is it?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on January 29, 2019, 04:24:25 pm by Chris Black come back »
He was a deathly dull manager playing largely ineffective and deathly dull football produced by lads forced to play out of position in a formation uniquely configured to get the worst out of the resources available. A dead zone in terms of Rovers’ history.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on January 29, 2019, 04:27:52 pm by dickos1 »
We were bottom of the table when he took over with 11 points from 12 games.
And from the next 12 games he got 20 points.
A fantastic turnaround yeah.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on January 29, 2019, 04:29:54 pm by belton rover »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on January 29, 2019, 04:31:22 pm by dickos1 »
He was a deathly dull manager playing largely ineffective and deathly dull football produced by lads forced to play out of position in a formation uniquely configured to get the worst out of the resources available. A dead zone in terms of Rovers’ history.

I’m pretty certain possible the easiest promotion we’ve ever had scoring more goals than anyone else in the league won’t go down in history as a dead zone no matter how much you wish for it cocker

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on January 29, 2019, 04:33:17 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Reflecting more on that season, Dickov was in charge for 11 games and averaged a point a game (11). Ferguson took over and in 35 games he averaged........ a point a game (35)!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on January 29, 2019, 04:34:55 pm by ravenrover »
The only thing people remember about that campaign is the he/we blew the title, no use banging on about it being the easiest promotion

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on January 29, 2019, 04:35:27 pm by dickos1 »
Aye,
But Peterborough don’t have 35 games left they have 17 which was my point. He started off very well for us, but you argued he didn’t

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on January 29, 2019, 04:37:10 pm by dickos1 »
The only thing people remember about that campaign is the he/we blew the title, no use banging on about it being the easiest promotion

Not really, there were plenty of people saying that promotion was all that mattered.
The majority of the people saying we blew the title and promotion was insignificant are the same people who said we’d be lucky to finish mid table that season.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on January 29, 2019, 04:44:33 pm by adamtherover »

I’m pretty certain possible the easiest promotion we’ve ever had scoring more goals than anyone else in the league won’t go down in history as a dead zone no matter how much you wish for it cocker
at one stage we were 16 points clear of pompey,  and 10 with 4 games to go..    the biggest collapse in history surely!!! 

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on January 29, 2019, 04:56:02 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Fergies first 17 games in charge averaged 1.47 points per game.

Peterborough's average this season is 1.655 PPG.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:00:01 pm by Bentley Bullet »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on January 29, 2019, 05:05:47 pm by dickos1 »
Aye
But he transformed us from 0.9 point per game over 12 games to Around 1.7 points over the next 12. A similar transformation at Peterborough and we wouldn’t be finishing above them

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on January 29, 2019, 05:10:17 pm by IDM »
We can only influence the one game vs Peterborough, the rest are all down to us..

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on January 29, 2019, 05:30:04 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Dickov averaged a point per game in his 11 games before he was sacked. Fergie averaged 1.416 PPG in his first *12 games.

* Assuming Fergie was in charge v Bradford City.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on January 29, 2019, 05:42:26 pm by drfchound »

Not really, there were plenty of people saying that promotion was all that mattered.
The majority of the people saying we blew the title and promotion was insignificant are the same people who said we’d be lucky to finish mid table that season.

Have you anything to back that up?
Because it was L2, lots of posters thought we would finish in the top six and many including myself, thought we would get automatic promotion.

I agree with you that the promotion was probably the easiest we have ever had but you should be honest enough to say it was very disappointing to blow that title.

From the position we were in after the Mansfield game it should have been achieved.

Just for the record, I reckon that the 1946/47 promotion was probably the easiest we have ever had.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on January 29, 2019, 05:48:16 pm by pib »
Didn't really make a blind bit of difference what his PPG rate was in his first 12 games, because over the next 20 it was a bag of pure horse shite and we ended up in League Two.

Yes the guy got us promoted, but what bookended it was total dirge and it can't really be argued otherwise.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on January 29, 2019, 06:16:32 pm by selby »
  In my opinion he was a good all round manager of the club who took us forward more off the field of play than on it,and improved  our all round professionalism, but was not that great at man management, or a natural football manager with flair.
   I will watch with interest however Peterborough's performances in their last eight games this season.
   If he is true to his history with us as manager, and we are the two teams competing for the last play off place, we should be a shoe in. 

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on January 29, 2019, 06:55:57 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

Because it was L2, lots of posters thought we would finish in the top six and many including myself, thought we would get automatic promotion.

I agree with you that the promotion was probably the easiest we have ever had but you should be honest enough to say it was very disappointing to blow that title.

From the position we were in after the Mansfield game it should have been achieved.

Just for the record, I reckon that the 1946/47 promotion was probably the easiest we have ever had.

On October 15th 2016 I said Rovers were superglued in the top 3 despite a period of being one match behind the glue (not demulders ) worked

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=258950.msg659714#msg659714

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on January 29, 2019, 06:57:54 pm by Chris Black come back »
Recruited some great players, handed out some absolutely unforgivable contract extensions at great cost to the club, forced the club to effectively buy our way out of League Two due to the relegation that he delivered in the 75pc of the season that he was in charge and crucially for many, made the Keepmoat a lesser place to be.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on January 29, 2019, 07:00:36 pm by dickos1 »
Dickov averaged a point per game in his 11 games before he was sacked. Fergie averaged 1.416 PPG in his first *12 games.

Fergie took over v the shrews, and rob jones had a game in charge.
When fergie took over we’d gor 11 points from 12 games I believe

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on January 29, 2019, 07:03:02 pm by dickos1 »

I agree, if course it was disappointing not to win the title from that position. But to ignore the 41 games previous to the final 5 is ridiculous. But lots of people on here don’t wish to say anything good about that season and even describe it as a dead zone.
Crazy stuff

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on January 29, 2019, 07:05:20 pm by dickos1 »
Recruited some great players, handed out some absolutely unforgivable contract extensions at great cost to the club, forced the club to effectively buy our way out of League Two due to the relegation that he delivered in the 75pc of the season that he was in charge and crucially for many, made the Keepmoat a lesser place to be.

Great cost to the club?
Give over.
Lund, Middleton and Evina would have been the lowest paid players at the club

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on January 29, 2019, 07:06:01 pm by drfchound »

Didn’t Jones have five games in charge.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on January 29, 2019, 07:09:22 pm by Chris Black come back »

Great cost to the club?
Give over.

If they had been minimal we would have paid them off long ago rather than shuffling them around on loan. He messed up - as he did with the wasted and no doubt expensive Kongolo loan and that poor lad keeper that he signed and then ruined his career - just admit it. Some decent signings certainly but wow some dreadful calls as well.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on January 29, 2019, 07:13:01 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Forget it CBcb, Dickos loves nothing more than arguing the toss.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on January 29, 2019, 07:26:01 pm by dickos1 »

Great cost to the club?
Give over.

If they had been minimal we would have paid them off long ago rather than shuffling them around on loan. He messed up - as he did with the wasted and no doubt expensive Kongolo loan and that poor lad keeper that he signed and then ruined his career - just admit it. Some decent signings certainly but wow some dreadful calls as well.

Silent majority stated that when Evina and Middleton left they were on small wages hence why it didn’t have much effect on our wage bill when they left.
Every manager makes poor signings, every single one.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on January 29, 2019, 07:28:19 pm by dickos1 »

Didn’t Jones have five games in charge.

He may have,
My point was when Ferguson took over we had 11 points from 12 games, we then got 20 points from Ferguson’s first 12 games.
So he obviously has an immediate effect, so if something similar may happen at Peterborough. All the other nonsense has been brought on by people who didn’t like Ferguson from the day he was appointed and can’t accept anything positive he may have done

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on January 29, 2019, 08:12:08 pm by RedJ »
f**k me can we lock this thread, all this has been done to death.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on January 29, 2019, 08:17:57 pm by DRNaith »
I wonder if Posh fans have gone into their own forum to tell the Posh fans what to expect.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012