Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 11:20:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ferguson  (Read 12316 times)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Ferguson
« on February 09, 2019, 09:44:34 am by DonnyOsmond »
Just seen the FP article from Paul Goodwin on Ferguson and I have to agree with what he's said. It's very harsh to give him stick, another manager might have done better on the field with the team he built but he deserves the credit for turning Dickovs aging team of players winding down the careers with no resell value into what we have today. We have Marquis who we were rejecting £2million bids a couple week ago for, Whiteman who has become one of the best League One midfielders this season and is attracting a lot of Championship interest, Wright who has turned into a quality defender and has had some interest previously and despite what we've recently found out, Mason, who is a quality player a right back or in the center. He helped steady the ship that is DRFC and get us going in the right direction and deserves credit for that.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/opinion-why-darren-ferguson-deserves-respect-on-his-doncaster-rovers-return-1-9585119/amp?__twitter_impression=true

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re: Ferguson
« Reply #1 on February 09, 2019, 10:06:27 am by RobTheRover »
I've no problem in how he recruited. He just couldn't get the best out of them. Whiteman looks a different player under Grant McCann. Fergus on tactically is too rigid - one fixed way he wants to play a match and no plan B. Not for me, thank you.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 09, 2019, 10:09:46 am by since-1969 »
No your wrong he’s Average at best . McCanns done more in 6 months than Fergie did in 36 and without all the poor loans signings and going behind each game after only 10mins . No I’m glad he’s gone we’ve got back to higher achievement and expectations that are within our grasp and not dependent a particular individual player ie Williams or Kongolo or St Clair who were all pants . Our problem is going to keeping a hold of McCann never mind Marquis.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 09, 2019, 10:12:48 am by drfchound »
Agreed a Rob, he also turned a team that was in a play off position in the first week of January into a relegated one by sticking to his “one way of playing”.
He probably drove away a significant number of floating fans last season with the turgid football that he oversaw.

I was underwhelmed when he came to us and glad when he left.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 09, 2019, 10:15:24 am by Bezza »
He got some good signings in for us, but some of the loan signings were poor, especially seeing what McCann's brought in.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 09, 2019, 10:15:36 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'm sure Fergie will show respect to us and so it should be mutual.

We can't comprehend how much stress he was under at the time but there's no doubt he was trying to get the club going in the right direction. McCann has benefitted from that and taken us onwards to a place we all expected Fergie achieve.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 09, 2019, 10:19:13 am by drfchound »
I'm sure Fergie will show respect to us and so it should be mutual.

We can't comprehend how much stress he was under at the time but there's no doubt he was trying to get the club going in the right direction. McCann has benefitted from that and taken us onwards to a place we all expected Fergie achieve.

I have no problem with people giving him respect at the game today but don’t think he warrants having his name sung out.

He was obviously doing his best for the club, why wouldn’t he when it was his job to do so.

He just wasn’t good enough for L1.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 09, 2019, 10:19:47 am by Filo »
The manner of his departure still grates with me, I appreciate that he had personal issues, especially as it concerned his father, but the right thing to do was to speak to the club, not just issue a statement through the LMA, it was poor and very unprofesional from him

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 09, 2019, 10:21:33 am by BillyStubbsTears »
There's also the strange manner of his leaving...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 09, 2019, 10:21:50 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Heh. Coincidence Filo.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 09, 2019, 10:22:44 am by mushRTID »
Mediocre manager for us. He will be remembered by me for an avoidable relegation, a thrown away title and too many late goals conceded.

Good luck to him after today though, I quite liked him to be fair.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 09, 2019, 10:24:41 am by BillyStubbsTears »
This LMA statement.
"Following recent discussions and meetings with the board I have decided to resign from my position as Manager of Doncaster Rovers Football Club.

"I’m disappointed to have made this decision as I have enjoyed my time at the club and was looking forward to the new season, but I felt I had no alternative.

"I would like to thank the board for the opportunity and I am grateful to the players, staff and fans for their support. I wish the club all the best in the future."

Very odd. I wonder what he meant by "I had no alternative."

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 09, 2019, 10:25:31 am by mushRTID »
Certainly doesn’t tie up to his latest claim he was just tired.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 09, 2019, 10:27:19 am by drfchound »
Who cares what he meant anyway.
He had gone, we have McCann and we are enjoying watching the Rovers again.
#exciting football.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 09, 2019, 10:29:35 am by mushRTID »
#exciting football.

Yes that’s all obviously true.
But this thread is about Ferguson.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 09, 2019, 10:32:21 am by RugbyRover »
there are at best a dozen people on here who don't rate fergie and what he did for this club. I've no idea why they don't see what he did for this club.
I agree with what the OP says. He took the crap aging useless team that Dickov left us with and turned it into something with massive potential.

I also love the way some people accuse him of making the keepmoat a turgid boring place. For crying out loud don't they remember how dire it used to be in the last year of SOD's reign, how utterly utterly crap it was under Saunders and Jones and then how Dickov brought things to an all time low.

Get a grip guys. I'm not saying he was perfect. And I agree his loanee's were generally shite but overall he did a great job for this club and after SOD Bremner and Penny he would be one of the best we've had.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 09, 2019, 10:47:13 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
The manner of his departure still grates with me, I appreciate that he had personal issues, especially as it concerned his father, but the right thing to do was to speak to the club, not just issue a statement through the LMA, it was poor and very unprofesional from him

Guess work Filo. You can't make a judgement on what you don't know.

Perhaps he knew that if he went to the club, they would try to dissuade him, given the nice people they are. So, if he wanted a clean break having made his mind up then I can understand him going through the LMA.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 09, 2019, 10:52:57 am by Filo »
Heh. Coincidence Filo.

Great minds mate 😀

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 09, 2019, 11:24:35 am by roversdude »
He certainly gave the board knockers a platform to vent their spleens when he left. I’m sure we can all recall the “discussions” on here about the budget.
Got to give him credit for shaking the club up a bit behind the scenes and for some of the recruitment

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 09, 2019, 12:10:46 pm by adamtherover »
There's talk on the FB page that he was enquiring about the mk dons job and the board found out and made him resign.. 

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 09, 2019, 12:12:23 pm by i_ateallthepies »
there are at best a dozen people on here who don't rate fergie and what he did for this club. I've no idea why they don't see what he did for this club.
I agree with what the OP says. He took the crap aging useless team that Dickov left us with and turned it into something with massive potential.

I also love the way some people accuse him of making the keepmoat a turgid boring place. For crying out loud don't they remember how dire it used to be in the last year of SOD's reign, how utterly utterly crap it was under Saunders and Jones and then how Dickov brought things to an all time low.

Get a grip guys. I'm not saying he was perfect. And I agree his loanee's were generally shite but overall he did a great job for this club and after SOD Bremner and Penny he would be one of the best we've had.

Make that a bakers' dozen then RugbyRover because I don't rate him either and you tried to tag onto that the falsehood that those who don't rate him don't appreciate what he did for the club.  It was said that he improved the off-field aspects of the club, I'm happy to accept that.  His on-field offering though was lamentable quite honestly.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 09, 2019, 12:16:37 pm by RedJ »
It's widely accepted that what he did behind the scenes was good and has vastly improved the club. It's just the, er, actual management of the first team that left a lot to be desired.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 09, 2019, 12:25:19 pm by Alan Southstand »
We’ve had better, but we’ve had a lot worse. DF’s arrival heralded a massive upturn in our youth development and that has been continued, thankfully.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 09, 2019, 12:25:59 pm by Padge_DRFC »
No need to boo. Seemed bothered about the fans IMO. At least he got us back up

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 09, 2019, 12:28:33 pm by IDM »
There's talk on the FB page that he was enquiring about the mk dons job and the board found out and made him resign.. 

Or perhaps his season hadn’t been great and his dad was very poorly.??

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 09, 2019, 12:31:59 pm by RoversAlias »
I don't think there's any reason to boo him, really hope that doesn't happen.

Likewise I'd probably not applaud him either. My focus will be on supporting McCann and the Rovers players.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 09, 2019, 12:38:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Or perhaps his season hadn’t been great and his dad was very poorly.??

But..."no alternative but to resign."?

That doesn't gel. If it was personal issues, you'd expect him to go with the club's blessing.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 09, 2019, 12:39:03 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Give him nothing to feed off.  Neither booing nor singing/clapping.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 09, 2019, 12:49:35 pm by Chris Black come back »
Certainly some good signings by him - but let us not fall in to the trap of making him some footballing Warren Buffett. Long contracts handed out to Evina, Lund, Middleton etc who he then basically refused to play. Signing Etheridge then ruining his career. Bad loan signings.

The clue is in the name though: “manager” and he struggled to manage. He delivered largely very poor football in League One and largely poor results in League One. The team looked ill-managed and as a result it was often not enjoyable to watch us play and we were all sacrificed on his alter of bizarre and ineffective formations that delivered only getting the worst out of an otherwise talented group of players.

We got promoted (not as Champions mind) off the back of a massive budget for League Two.

Some good signings, some bad signings, some professional changes to the club, some unprofessional comments while at the club, largely poor football and unable to cut it at League One level, so for me (and perhaps others) I would give him 6/10 - maybe 7/10 on good day.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 12:51:39 pm by Chris Black come back »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 09, 2019, 01:04:11 pm by drfchound »
#exciting football.

Yes that’s all obviously true.
But this thread is about Ferguson.

Well yeah......obviously........that is why I said who cares why he resigned.........and why it is more enjoyable now he has gone...........that IS about Ferguson.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012