Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 08:05:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: At what point.....  (Read 5214 times)

sha66y

• Forum Member
At what point.....
« on February 23, 2019, 03:01:20 pm by sha66y »
Does Marquis get subbed ?
It seems we have no option to change the top three whilst he remains the unchangeable forward...and all we do is bring on a fresh support act....
I like Marquis but when he ain’t on fire and missing chances he should be burying , then he should be subbed..

I’m sure the regular “ Marquis is the leading scorer “ shite will be levelled has an argument , but there is no escaping the fact that if he ain’t in the game we are practically down to ten men...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dknward2

• VSC Member
Re: At what point.....
« Reply #1 on February 23, 2019, 03:03:45 pm by dknward2 »
Must also be forced to play Smith as well

Park Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 23, 2019, 03:06:34 pm by Park Rover »
Should have been first player subbed today , shocking game. How many more points will he cost us with the sitters he misses ?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 23, 2019, 03:09:07 pm by roversdude »
Not been today due to man flu but it sounded a bad miss, no player should be beyond being subbed if it’s not working on the day it ain’t working

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 23, 2019, 03:09:56 pm by bobjimwilly »
who do you bring on instead of Marquis?

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 23, 2019, 03:14:57 pm by sha66y »
who do you bring on instead of Marquis?

I’m sure replacing Marquis with either Smith or Sadlier would be an obvious option....
Like I said, we haven’t tried a formation with Wilkes leading the line...

and it would put the fear of god into most teams watching a Marquis warming up ready to enter the game as a sub....

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 23, 2019, 03:25:57 pm by graingrover »
Apart from the goal on a plate from Kaye ,Marquis got zero service from the flanks and only booted clearances in the second half to chase .Rather than target Marquis today I would question the lack of composure from the back .In terms of subs ....why persist on hoping Rowe will ever be influential .He does not control the ball in close quarters which when you are in midfield is wasteful  for your forwards and dangerous for your defense.
As far as Marquis is concerned , firstly he has 22 goals secondly he works his balls off and thirdly we dont have two centre forwards anyway.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 23, 2019, 03:30:06 pm by sha66y »
Apart from the goal on a plate from Kaye ,Marquis got zero service from the flanks and only booted clearances in the second half to chase .Rather than target Marquis today I would question the lack of composure from the back .In terms of subs ....why persist on hoping Rowe will ever be influential .He does not control the ball in close quarters which when you are in midfield is wasteful  for your forwards and dangerous for your defense.
As far as Marquis is concerned , firstly he has 22 goals secondly he works his balls off and thirdly we dont have two centre forwards anyway.

So in your opinion , he stays on the park regardless of input ?

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 23, 2019, 03:43:02 pm by graingrover »
Today ,,yes certainly ..who would you have put on ?It was not regardless of input ..if you mean he missed a sitter that is true but he ran his ass off again and never got a single break on goal from a pass except the cross from KayneI realise fans get frustrated with his misses but his goals have put us where we are with lots of help this season from Wilks . Today the substitutions should not have included Rowe who is absolutely lacking in influence .
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 03:49:47 pm by graingrover »

ZiggerZagger

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 23, 2019, 03:46:40 pm by ZiggerZagger »
Marquis missed a game changing sitter today, not the first one lately, not be the last as he's got it in his head he can't be dropped or subbed. There was 2 possibly 3 times he was put in but didn't control it, then spun round giving Wilks and Copps some verbal instead of concentrating on the ball, he'd of been clean through in the box. I believe he needs a rest. Play Wilks up front and play it on the floor, like we can do.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 23, 2019, 03:50:54 pm by sha66y »
Today ,,yes certainly ..who would you have put on ?

It’s not just today is it though....I have seen the best players in the world , on the world stage getting subbed,

yet our very own Marquis is undroppable by all accounts...

I guess my original header should have read”  should Marquis ever be subbed “

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 23, 2019, 03:54:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Marquis missed a game changing sitter today, not the first one lately, not be the last as he's got it in his head he can't be dropped or subbed. There was 2 possibly 3 times he was put in but didn't control it, then spun round giving Wilks and Copps some verbal instead of concentrating on the ball, he'd of been clean through in the box. I believe he needs a rest. Play Wilks up front and play it on the floor, like we can do.

Aye. He's got it in his head that he can't be substituted, so he goes out there and deliberately misses chances.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 23, 2019, 03:55:00 pm by graingrover »
I do not believe Marquis has got the idea he cannot be dropped ..he must have in his head why do the ful backs not get forward to cross the ball today and why did Downing and Anderson boot upfield instead of going through our midfield who may as well have stayed in the dressing room at half time.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 23, 2019, 03:57:55 pm by sha66y »
I do not believe Marquis has got the idea he cannot be dropped ..he must have in his head why do the ful backs not get forward to cross the ball today and why did Downing and Anderson boot upfield instead of going through our midfield who may as well have stayed in the dressing room at half time.

Question....if Marquis has a poor game, misses a chance or 2 and doesn’t look like scoring......would YOU sub him..???

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 23, 2019, 03:59:09 pm by tommy toes »
Glad it's not just me. Marquis was terrible today. He should have been subbed. With the pace of Smith and Wilkes through the middle we'd have terrorised  their lumps at the back.
Instead kept pumping it to JM who miscontrolked it or ran into trouble and then blamed somebody else.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 23, 2019, 04:02:53 pm by sha66y »
Glad it's not just me. Marquis was terrible today. He should have been subbed. With the pace of Smith and Wilkes through the middle we'd have terrorised  their lumps at the back.
Instead kept pumping it to JM who miscontrolked it or ran into trouble and then blamed somebody else.

I do not believe any Rovers supporter wishes Marquis to be subbed ...ever...period ....when he is buzzing and dominating the forward line,...however , ....no player no matter how good his record stands should be beyond the occasional subbing to keep them on their toes...

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 23, 2019, 04:26:30 pm by graingrover »
My thoughts in terms of the slagging off of Marquis on this thread are ..when you look at the whole season should we not be keeping things in perspective .I would understand criticism of Marquis if it were contained to today’s miss but when supporters try to emphasise his misses I have to think what is special about our club that makes players want to be part of it ? The supportive fan base or the helpful advice they get from this forum lol . 

Mark Lyall

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 23, 2019, 04:31:47 pm by Mark Lyall »
Sergio Aquero against Schalke mid week wouldn't have scored if still playing now , subbed for a winger and Sterling as a striker . My point is if that even the best strikers get subbed if having a mare . Wouldn't hurt JM to be subbed if not his day . He was crap today and needed to be subbed .

mjg

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 23, 2019, 04:39:39 pm by mjg »
Should have took the money

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 23, 2019, 04:44:21 pm by since-1969 »
Does Marquis get subbed ?
It seems we have no option to change the top three whilst he remains the unchangeable forward...and all we do is bring on a fresh support act....
I like Marquis but when he ain’t on fire and missing chances he should be burying , then he should be subbed..

I’m sure the regular “ Marquis is the leading scorer “ shite will be levelled has an argument , but there is no escaping the fact that if he ain’t in the game we are practically down to ten men...
He Is the most frustrating player in our team , clearly a great player but  If he scored half the chances he misses never mind gets , we would be top of the league .

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 23, 2019, 04:54:38 pm by Bentley Bullet »
A player who knows he won't be subbed has a massive advantage over  those around him who have to perform well to stay on the pitch. They are the ones under pressure to perform and I wonder how it would affect Marquis' performances if he was replaced for playing shite like all the other players are?

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 23, 2019, 05:02:58 pm by sha66y »
My thoughts in terms of the slagging off of Marquis on this thread are ..when you look at the whole season should we not be keeping things in perspective .I would understand criticism of Marquis if it were contained to today’s miss but when supporters try to emphasise his misses I have to think what is special about our club that makes players want to be part of it ? The supportive fan base or the helpful advice they get from this forum lol . 

That’s a rather diplomatic response... I guess you should just say “Marquis should NEVER be subbed EVER,.... “ .... then there will be no misunderstandings...lol

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 23, 2019, 05:14:07 pm by since-1969 »
You can’t win this argument!!

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 23, 2019, 05:17:50 pm by sha66y »

I know it feels like an argument but it’s not....I have asked a valid question ..
yet no one has answered it ...”” at what point does Marquis get subbed “”

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 23, 2019, 05:21:39 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Not because he makes a mistake. He's made a big one today but he's capable of making up for it. McCann needs a realistic plan b before subbing Marquis. Whether that involves Wilks more central with two others flanking him, I'm not sure.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 23, 2019, 05:24:20 pm by Bentley Bullet »

I know it feels like an argument but it’s not....I have asked a valid question ..
yet no one has answered it ...”” at what point does Marquis get subbed “”

At the moment he doesn't get subbed at any point!

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 23, 2019, 05:34:50 pm by sha66y »
another diplomatic
Not because he makes a mistake. He's made a big one today but he's capable of making up for it. McCann needs a realistic plan b before subbing Marquis. Whether that involves Wilks more central with two others flanking him, I'm not sure.

Another diplomatic response.....it appears hat there is a clear line of opinion...
Some feel he should never ever be subbed and must start every game....unless he gets an injury

And some feel he perhaps should be subbed occasionally when it’s apparent that he isn’t on his game and isn’t influencing the forward line....

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 23, 2019, 05:39:37 pm by drfchound »
On a slightly different topic, at what point do rugby players have to go off the pitch to get blood injuries covered up.
For health reasons, footballers with blood injuries have to off and get cleaned up and even change their shirt if it is contaminated.
Just watching the Wales v England game and two or three players have blood running down their necks but in a game where they come into contact with opponents more than football players would do, why don’t they have to get cleaned up.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 23, 2019, 05:41:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Question....if Marquis has a poor game, misses a chance or 2 and doesn’t look like scoring......would YOU sub him..???

No. Because for three years, he has shown that he works through lean periods and often scores even when he is not looking in form.

While her he's fit, he plays. Simple as that.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 23, 2019, 05:42:22 pm by DonnyNoel »
Until we know how good Wilkes (or A N Other) would be with his back to the goal between two physical CB's then never. Whether we should find out is another argument. I get the criticism of JM today and I thought they were lazy substitutions by GMcC but Marquis does so much outside the box and I'm not sure we have anyone else that can do that. Also, we're actually quite a short team IMO and that makes JM an assest at defending set pieces. Teams aren't just looking at him for his goals.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012