Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 07:55:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Marquis in defence of  (Read 5828 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Marquis in defence of
« on February 23, 2019, 08:00:04 pm by Branton Rover »
I cannot believe the stick he gets for a rare off colour performance - he is the talisman of the team, his energy levels are incredible, he’s remarkably fit & never stops running and chasing down defenders - the question was posed in a previous thread about why he never gets subbed - I will tell you why, it would only benefit the other teams back line as they wouldn’t be under persistent and constant harrying from JM they ie the defenders would love it if JM was ever subbed because his all action style forces defenders into making mistakes and thus helping us score goals.

Rarely have we had a striker who can do what Marquis does eg holding the ball up magnificently and still weighs in with 20+ goals a season, he is the complete striker at this level & any other side in our league would take him and I’m sure some Championship clubs will be thinking about making us an offer come the summer - I tell you what if he does move on at the end of this season, people will come on here moaning how we need a striker who can bag goals and hold the ball up as well JM does both & he does it very well

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
Re: Marquis in defence of
« Reply #1 on February 23, 2019, 08:02:03 pm by Draytonian III »
I totally agree with you Branton

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 23, 2019, 08:05:57 pm by andyst79 »
Comments on here make me laugh, holds the ball & works like Chris Brown but as prolific as Billy Sharp

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 23, 2019, 09:23:54 pm by drfchound »
As they say, you don't know what you've got til its gone.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 23, 2019, 09:33:16 pm by Pancho Regan »
Absolutely.

JM is irreplaceable in my opinion.
Enjoy him while we have him.

Park Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 23, 2019, 09:36:28 pm by Park Rover »
Yes, me too that’s hilarious 😂😂

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 23, 2019, 09:47:30 pm by since-1969 »
Can somebody tell how many assists Marquis has ? Because I doubt it’s that many as he waists too many opportunities.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 23, 2019, 09:54:32 pm by sha66y »
I cannot believe the stick he gets for a rare off colour performance - he is the talisman of the team, his energy levels are incredible, he’s remarkably fit & never stops running and chasing down defenders - the question was posed in a previous thread about why he never gets subbed - I will tell you why, it would only benefit the other teams back line as they wouldn’t be under persistent and constant harrying from JM they ie the defenders would love it if JM was ever subbed because his all action style forces defenders into making mistakes and thus helping us score goals.

Rarely have we had a striker who can do what Marquis does eg holding the ball up magnificently and still weighs in with 20+ goals a season, he is the complete striker at this level & any other side in our league would take him and I’m sure some Championship clubs will be thinking about making us an offer come the summer - I tell you what if he does move on at the end of this season, people will come on here moaning how we need a striker who can bag goals and hold the ball up as well JM does both & he does it very well

I don’t see anyone giving JM stick for no apparent reason...as you say he has so many good qualities, however if he is having a bad game ( which is admittedly quite rare) then the Manager should look at replacing him, rather than hoping he comes good, Copps is undoubtedly our best technical player, truly gifted, yet if his game is not working right the manager replaces him....it appears that a “ messiah complex “ has seeped into a few of our supporters blinkering them to certain facts....the best players in the world get subbed if they have a stinker....it’s not personal ...it’s part of how a team works....

So lose the Marquis vendetta theme,  some supporters are merely questioning why he doesn’t get subbed.....

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 23, 2019, 09:57:01 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Can somebody tell how many assists Marquis has ? Because I doubt it’s that many as he waists too many opportunities.

Eh how's wasting an opportunity relate to an assist? I reckon he'll be in our top 5 for assists which isn't bad at all when combined with goals.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 23, 2019, 10:00:58 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

I don’t see anyone giving JM stick for no apparent reason...as you say he has so many good qualities, however if he is having a bad game ( which is admittedly quite rare) then the Manager should look at replacing him, rather than hoping he comes good, Copps is undoubtedly our best technical player, truly gifted, yet if his game is not working right the manager replaces him....it appears that a “ messiah complex “ has seeped into a few of our supporters blinkering them to certain facts....the best players in the world get subbed if they have a stinker....it’s not personal ...it’s part of how a team works....

So lose the Marquis vendetta theme,  some supporters are merely questioning why he doesn’t get subbed.....

Probably doesn't get subbed because he's our top scorer and while the games not out of sight it'd be crazy, barring injury, to sub our match winner?

And realistically who do we replace him with if we sub him? May or Smith both are good players and Smith has pace but they can't go up front on their own like Marquis

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 23, 2019, 10:05:10 pm by dickos1 »

Can somebody tell me how many goals he’s scored?

Clown

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 23, 2019, 10:13:05 pm by Alan Southstand »
Don't get drawn in, Dickos.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 23, 2019, 10:16:21 pm by PDX_Rover »
Let’s think back over some of the strikers we’ve had this century. We’ve had some decent strikers: Barnes, Blundell, Heffs on his day, and of course Sharp. Struggling to think of any others though. maybe Leo that season. It want too long ago that top of our wishlist was a 20 goal a season striker. We’ve now got one who has not only done that for two seasons but who works incredibly hard for the team. He hold himself to a high standard and expects others to do the same.

If he scored every chance he wouldn’t be playing for us would he?

Some folk have short memories.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 23, 2019, 10:24:04 pm by Alan Southstand »
There's 3 playing up front. Just ask yourself who scores anywhere near as many as JM. We shouldn't even be discussing it.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 23, 2019, 10:31:57 pm by since-1969 »
How many assists has he created this season ?

Eh how's wasting an opportunity relate to an assist? I reckon he'll be in our top 5 for assists which isn't bad at all when combined with goals.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 24, 2019, 12:00:17 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I probably did Marquis a disservive in blaming him for the missed chance. The radio said it was a sitter but looking at it on the highlights it was a bit behind him so it was far from a tap in. His other previous misses were worse.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 24, 2019, 08:03:44 am by sha66y »
There's 3 playing up front. Just ask yourself who scores anywhere near as many as JM. We shouldn't even be discussing it.

There’s actually only one playing up front and 2 supporting him...and if he is off his game we always seem to change the support act,
Thus rendering our strike force not as adaptable as perhaps it should be....

This is not a witch hunt, far from it...everyone knows JMs value to the team when he is leading the line....it’s when he isn’t that is under scrutiny...

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 24, 2019, 08:52:23 am by graingrover »
I support the opening post .
   Donny Man ,that immutable prehistoric brick
of Northern masculinity , does not believe in praising others.Itis  soft,effeminate and has no place in society .
Over the years I have heard him scream from the depths of his mighty lungs ...’ Tha’s bloody fat Jeffrey ‘ or tha’s a bloody poser Snodin ( when Glynn had highlights in his hair ) and now ..tha’s **** Marquis .
Eventually our Community strategy will permeate and we will have a Keepmoat that enjoys coming to football and supports players win or lose .

mjg

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 24, 2019, 09:56:43 am by mjg »
To be fair to him , the miss yesterday , the ball did take a horrible bobble just as he hit it

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 24, 2019, 11:40:35 am by RoversAlias »
Good luck to the Rovers fans who moan about him. I don't want to hear a word from any of them when we lose Marquis and can't replace him with someone with that same scoring rate and work rare as a centre forward. He is irreplaceable and I can't see a forward in the EFL that we would realistically be able to sign that is as good or effective as him.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 24, 2019, 12:08:35 pm by since-1969 »
Good luck to the Rovers fans who moan about him. I don't want to hear a word from any of them when we lose Marquis and can't replace him with someone with that same scoring rate and work rare as a centre forward. He is irreplaceable and I can't see a forward in the EFL that we would realistically be able to sign that is as good or effective as him.
ALL supporters LOVE him but he is frustrating to watch him work like a horse all over the pitch to keep us going forward but let’s HIS own chances go begging TOO often . It isn’t that people moan him were tarring our hair out for HIM !!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 24, 2019, 12:19:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
ALL supporters LOVE him but he is frustrating to watch him work like a horse all over the pitch to keep us going forward but let’s HIS own chances go begging TOO often . It isn’t that people moan him were tarring our hair out for HIM !!

Yeah.

He should stick pins in his gonads every night in self loathing for having only scored 58 goals in 122 appearances. He should have 100 by now if he wasn't secure in the knowledge that he'll never be substituted.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 24, 2019, 01:05:59 pm by MachoMadness »
Marquis is a victim of his own success at times. His miss yesterday was horrendous, but all strikers miss them at least once in their career. The problem is you never expect a player who bangs them in like he does to miss them ever. I think that's what leads to a lot of the stick he gets - people expect him to walk on water and every time he doesn't is a let down. Completely undeserved stick for one of our best-ever strikers.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 24, 2019, 01:15:01 pm by tommy toes »
I've never criticised Marquis before, either on here or at a match, and am thankful that he plays for us.
I think the majority of posts yesterday,  mine included, we're directed purely on his performance on the day.
He was poor, it obviously wasn't his day, he could do little right and therefore he should have been substituted in the second half when our game plan wasn't working and Scunny were getting on top.
A different approach was needed up front, we needed pace to get behind them and maybe taking him off and putting Wilkes and/or Smith in the middle might have worked better.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 24, 2019, 03:29:01 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I've never criticised Marquis before, either on here or at a match, and am thankful that he plays for us.
I think the majority of posts yesterday,  mine included, we're directed purely on his performance on the day.
He was poor, it obviously wasn't his day, he could do little right and therefore he should have been substituted in the second half when our game plan wasn't working and Scunny were getting on top.
A different approach was needed up front, we needed pace to get behind them and maybe taking him off and putting Wilkes and/or Smith in the middle might have worked better.
Correct tommy toes. How anyone can class constructive criticism of a players perfomance as abuse following a poor performance is silly, no matter how brilliant his performances may be considered usually.

All players, even those who 'can do no wrong' have bad games, just as all players who 'can do no right' have good games.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 24, 2019, 03:43:16 pm by Alickismyhero »
I am a supporter of Marquis but.................

There is one area of his game I would like to see an improvement. I have noticed that when a high ball is pumped down to him invariably his marker gets his head to it and Marquis misses out. I think he can improve his success in this area of his game because in other aspects of his game he is a very physical player.

But when he receives the ball at his feet Marquis distribution there after is excellent in my opinion.

Mark Lyall

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 24, 2019, 04:12:52 pm by Mark Lyall »
The debate isn't do people like  JM or not it was purely when he's having an off day like yesterday should he be subbed or not . When he's on form he's to much for most teams to handle and when he's not all he does is moan . Yesterday when he failed to control a simple pass to him from Kane (I think it was ) JM berated Kane as if it was his fault. IMO JM should have been subbed yesterday , and that was the opinion of many sat around me .

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 24, 2019, 04:35:52 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Yeah.

He should stick pins in his gonads every night in self loathing for having only scored 58 goals in 122 appearances. He should have 100 by now if he wasn't secure in the knowledge that he'll never be substituted.

He'd have scored less now if he wasn't secure in the knowledge that he'd never be substituted.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 24, 2019, 05:21:04 pm by since-1969 »
What load of tosh !!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 24, 2019, 05:27:11 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Well, at least  you explain your opinion clearer than usual in that post.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012