Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 10:36:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Bradford City game  (Read 5339 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Bradford City game
« on March 31, 2019, 01:35:00 pm by selby »
 A game against an old foe who have fallen on hard times in a gradual decline back to the lower leagues since being in the premiership and dreaming of becoming a fixture at that level forever.
  Well now back to reality the flirting with grandeur is over and they are looking certain to once again drop into the bottom tier from which I sincerely hope like ourselves they can rebuild their fortunes, but to which we send them nearer to next weekend by getting a victory on their home soil.
   Our away form is not the best, and we have had some poor results if not displays against teams towards the bottom of the league. Under German ownership the reputation of Gerry management  systems and efficiency has taken quite a knock looking completely out of sync with lower league British football, although they have now appointed Gary Bowyer the old Blackpool and Blackburn manager who is a good choice having done well before with clubs without loads of dosh to throw about, organising his sides to be difficult to beat and getting the best out of the players at his disposal.
  Their last home game was a 4-1 hammering at the hands of Blackpool, although they only went down by 1-0 at Charlton yesterday, although reports suggest it should have been more although Butterfield missed agood chance to equalise.
   Our form seems now to have turned a corner, and we have put two decent sides to the sword, with players like Rowe and Andrew, and Marosi, who some of our supporters seem convinced will be leaving at the end of this season are nailing their shirts to the mast and putting in great performances for the cause so no problems in our camp that I can see, with everyone on board for the cause.
  Can we get another much needed three points and keep the gap in front of the following pack?
   Will Bradford be an easy place to go considering their league position?
   Will our support travel the short distance in large numbers?
   In Butterfield and Doyle they have players who have played well against us in the past. Just what has gone wrong at Bradford?
   If Whiteman is considered fit enough to play, would you start him and change a winning team?
    Has Sadlier done enough to cement a regular start for the rest of the season?
   These and many other questions to consider about this game, What do you think?
   Many seasons ago, before the M62, I can remember coming back from Bradford elated that we had got promotion shared with my best mate who sadly got killed at 22 yrs old and my father who drove us to the game. I want that feeling of victory again, especially for them.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Bradford City game
« Reply #1 on March 31, 2019, 01:41:09 pm by Chris Black come back »
Their form is absolute dogshite. Truly dreadful.

They have lost six of their last seven, including four straight defeats - albeit to some decent sides. They also beat Peterborough 3-2 on 9 March at Valley Parade. Four of their last five wins have been at home, so although they are clearly going down, at home they are not so bad.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 31, 2019, 06:26:09 pm by idler »
We need the first goal. Against Blackpool they slowed after conceding and then heads really went down after the second.
Their main stand applauded Gnandullet off when he was subbed has he had pulled their defence all over and scored two.
They play  too narrow according to some and full backs can bomb forward against them. Wilks could cause problems.
We do need to be fully committed and ready for a tough game though as any display like Shrewsbury or Wimbledon could fins us wanting and spur on a large home crowd.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 31, 2019, 07:40:18 pm by selby »
  In the FL paper, Bowyer said that their plan at Charltonwas to defend deep and frustrate them, which for much of the game they did.
  Just the sort of tactics that we have found hard to break down in the past, but whether he would play that way in a home game is questionable.
  In the game at the Keepmoat we were by far the better side, and like in that game we haveto go there and ascertain our superiority. We do not want or can afford another display against a poor side like we did at Wimbledon.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 01, 2019, 06:57:53 am by Donnywolf »
Save me a Seat lol

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 01, 2019, 09:17:17 am by selby »
   OHHHHHHHHHHHHH  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PLEASE STEVE FIND A WEDDING TO GO TO.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 09:19:45 am by selby »

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 01, 2019, 05:31:37 pm by tyke1962 »
The worst side we've seen at Oakwell this season by a considerable distance , they were truly shocking .

Anything like a decent performance and you will claim the 3 points .

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 01, 2019, 08:16:47 pm by Donnywolf »
   OHHHHHHHHHHHHH  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PLEASE STEVE John FIND A WEDDING TO GO TO.

Its that Steve thats the jinx - I'm in the clear !

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 01, 2019, 08:38:39 pm by scawsby steve »
   OHHHHHHHHHHHHH  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PLEASE STEVE John FIND A WEDDING TO GO TO.

Its that Steve thats the jinx - I'm in the clear !

Sorry lads, I'll be there on Saturday, hoping to see my first away win in 6 attempts.

As for weddings Brian, at my age now it's all funerals.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 01, 2019, 08:42:15 pm by selby »
   Jesus, just how much lucky heather do you two want the rest of us to buy?
  Don't wash the lucky underpants lads we will need all the help we can get by the looks of it.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 01, 2019, 09:08:24 pm by scawsby steve »
   Jesus, just how much lucky heather do you two want the rest of us to buy?
  Don't wash the lucky underpants lads we will need all the help we can get by the looks of it.

Lucky heather shouldn't be a problem Brian, seeing as we're all pikeys.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 02, 2019, 04:23:01 pm by wing commander »
 I have a couple of mates who are Bradford season ticket holders...According to them there big problem defensively is that they have major problems at left back especially against pace...There right back is one of there better players..i'm sure GM has seen this on the videos so hopefully Blair and Wilkes will get a lot of success and keep switching wings for this one...

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 02, 2019, 04:39:24 pm by IDM »
Whiteman could be available - new report on the DFP website today..

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 02, 2019, 04:49:35 pm by selby »
  I hope he is ready for coming back, but would you put him straight back in? I am not questioning his ability, but do we need to rush him or Herbie back until they are 100% fit?
  It is a hard call after the last two games, I am one for picking our best players, and he is definitely one of those, but a start on the bench and a gradual come back could be a benefit for harder games to come in the run in, and if he is on the bench we can turn to him if we need to.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 02, 2019, 04:56:21 pm by idler »
I agree Selby. Start with him on the bench. If we manage to win without him it gives him a longer rest but have him available to come on if needed.
I wouldn't take an unnecessary risk at this stage of the season.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 02, 2019, 04:57:56 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Agree with above approach with Whiteman. If nothing else, neither Crawford or Rowe deserve leaving out after the last two games.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 02, 2019, 05:36:35 pm by the vicar »
Brian I don't think they will play ether of them I'd they were not fit to play.  We was talking about this game this morning and these are the ones we don't seem to turn up for

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 02, 2019, 05:40:55 pm by IDM »
I’m in the no rush camp too.. start the same 11 as last Saturday and have Whiteman on the bench to change things if necessary..

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 02, 2019, 06:22:32 pm by NickDRFC »
Looks like I’m on my own here but if he’s fit I’d start him. He’s only been out a couple of weeks as opposed to a long lay off so he shouldn’t need easing back in gently. Crawford and Rowe have performed admirably in the last couple of games but they’re stop-gaps whereas Whiteman has been outstanding and made the role his own this year. Plus I’d expect Bradford to see more of the ball than either Bristol R or Walsall did which means that the role will be more important.

I’d rather take him off after an hour for a breather with the job done than chuck him on at half time if we are 1 or 2 nil down and struggling in midfield.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 02, 2019, 07:08:11 pm by selby »
  I would hardly call Rowe and Crawford  Stop-gaps Nick, although I can see your point. Rowe has been one of our most important players for a couple of seasons now, and was a big miss at the beginning of the season, and Crawford has been instrumental to us playing well in quite a few games with his high press and a couple of goals from set pieces.
  We will have paid out quite a bit in medical fees to bring them back quickly, so my opinion is to nurse them back in slowly and get the benefit of them probably a week or so later, Young players tend to heal quite quickly anyway, but ligament and groin injuries have a record of flaring up again if not properly healed, that is my only worry.
  Both Rowe and Crawford are good players at this level, and hold no worries for me to be able to hold there own against any side in this division, plus they should have every chance to hold on to the shirt after the last two games if they are training well, which should also be taken into consideration, and something we the fans know very little about and is as it should be.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 02, 2019, 07:21:28 pm by NickDRFC »
Nothing against Rowe or Crawford at all - I don’t mean they’re stop gaps in the team, I mean in a deeper midfield role. Bear in mind that when we found out Whiteman & Kane we’re out no one was sure who would play there. If we win this weekend then it really cements our place in the play offs - for me that means picking the best players for the roles in the key positions (if they’re fit enough)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 02, 2019, 07:23:37 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Both sides of the argument well put

I trust GM, with the the extra knowledge and information he has, to make the right decision.  :scarf:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on April 02, 2019, 07:42:50 pm by selby »
  Dutch, I do as well. Nick I know you have nothing against any player, and you are entitled to your opinion, and I am pleased you are doing so on this thread. It is a big subject, and of interest to us fans, all four players are very important players to the club, and we will need them all if we are to be successful in our quest to succeed to reach and win the playoffs.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 04, 2019, 09:26:45 am by selby »
 The more I ponder this game, the more importance to our cause the result takes in my mind.
   Bradford has never been an easy place for us to go to and get a result, but their fall from grace has been quite dramatic this season, and although they were not on my radar to press for promotion, neither did I expect them to struggle as they have done in the relegation positions.
  Held up as a beacon for cheap season tickets by fans of other clubs, the club are now paying the cost of trying to attract fans with a poor team, and rising costs.
  They are not doing well on the field, but it is just the type of fixture we have difficulty with, hopefully not this weekend.
  Our improving injury problems are coming at the right time for the final push, and we are in a nice poll position of the chasing pack for the final play off position. Quite a bit to be happy about, and a win will press home our advantage with very few games left this season.
  Let's hope we do

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 04, 2019, 09:47:13 am by RoversAlias »
I don't think their struggles have anything to do with cheap season tickets to be honest, it is entirely down to the ridiculously shoddy ownership.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 04, 2019, 10:02:24 am by silent majority »
I don't think their struggles have anything to do with cheap season tickets to be honest, it is entirely down to the ridiculously shoddy ownership.

That's exactly it. Would you believe that the club won't even allow the Supporters Trust at Bradford to organise a foodbank collection? Just ridiculous!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 04, 2019, 10:07:38 am by selby »
RA, they are now in a position where they have gone from a team expected to push for promotion, with large numbers of season ticket sales, to a team that are staring relegation in the face.
  Less TV money, less solidarity payments, and less money from away fans attending games. But the hardest thing to overcome is the fall in season ticket holders, and a large ground to fund on less income.
  You can blame the owners, and yes they are a big problem, but their biggest problem is now going to be raising season ticket prices that were artificially low, and were kept there, when players wages at lower league levels have been rising to keep a competative side on the field of play.
  If it has all conspired to us getting three points on Saturday, I will be a happy supporter.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 04, 2019, 11:25:17 am by idler »
Selby, they have already sold early bird tickets for next season at £150 or so.
I don't know how many have been sold I might find out more in the local at tea time.
Edin Rahic is back in Germany now and Julian Rhodes is back to help out. Stefan Rupp is the other German and the main man but rumours are that he wants to sell.There is apparently £2 million gone somewhere.
Bowyer is a decent manager and should turn them around next season as he has just signed a two year contract.
Like us 20 years ago off field antics have seriously affected the on field performances.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 04, 2019, 12:37:42 pm by selby »
  Idler, because of their poor season and talk of not taking up their season tickets again, they have a poll on their forum predicting the total of eventual season tickets sold.
   The most popular is between 8 to 12 thousand in total, but many think less, that is down from 19 thousand at it's height a couple of seasons ago.
  A winning team is much more important than price. That is why the top six premiership teams sell over priced tickets, and the power house of the English game will end up centred in London and not Manchester.
   One of the last posters on the Bradford forum had just bought 2 tickets at £150, but had asked how many had been sold and was not given an answer.
  If us winning on Saturday puts off a few more from renewing their season tickets, so be it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 01:37:30 pm by selby »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 04, 2019, 06:38:22 pm by idler »
Selby, there is a posssibility that they will rally round the club now that Rahic has gone and Julian Rhodes is back. Bowyer is a good manager and will turn them round given time.The interesting period will be at the season's end. Should they be relegated then how much will season tickets cost? If they raise prices fans used to paying low prices at a higher level might not be happy.
There is/was the also the Flexi ticket. That was £50 down and then pay £10 every time that you attended. This gaurunteed your seat due to their ground capacity. Some preferred this to a season ticket and bought accordingly.
It will certainly be interesting times.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012