Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 07:28:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Unlikely places you've bumped into other Rovers fans  (Read 4505 times)

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
Unlikely places you've bumped into other Rovers fans
« on April 17, 2019, 01:40:31 pm by VivaRovers »
I work by Waterloo Bridge in London, so on my lunch yesterday I nipped over to have a look at the Extinction Rebellion protests that are taking place on it. I was prepared to see drums, banners, tents, even trees, but I wasn't quite expecting to see a young lad in a full Rovers kit, kicking a ball about.

He gave me a high-five for also following the best team in football. Turns out he wasn't even from Doncaster, but from London and had family in York, so as they used to pass through Doncaster a lot on the train he chose to support Rovers.

Anyone else discovered a previously unknown Rovers fan in an unexpected location?

NB. Dutch Uncle, your Alick Jeffrey / Alec Jeffrey story doesn't count ;)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

retford rover

• VSC Member
Re: Unlikely places you've bumped into other Rovers fans
« Reply #1 on April 17, 2019, 01:53:05 pm by retford rover »
when we climbed Matchu Pitchu in Peru with the rovers players
bumped into a couple from new Zealand  think his name was Richard who were Rovers fans and recognised my voice from Rovers player
had his photo with copps  mark wilson, jimmy o connor and the gang
retford rover

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 17, 2019, 01:55:25 pm by DRNaith »
I once bought a car in Huddersfield from a guy who claimed to have played during the Richardson era. Not quite so glamorous.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 17, 2019, 02:02:05 pm by IDM »
When I die and meet the Lord, I will be very disappointed if he isn’t wearing the mighty red and white hoops.!

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 17, 2019, 02:14:00 pm by DearneValleyRover »
When I die and meet the Lord, I will be very disappointed if he isn’t wearing the mighty red and white hoops.!

He might prefer the away kit

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 17, 2019, 02:18:16 pm by Rovers Return »
Not too far away but when coaching an U18 team in the Lincs League an opposition coach looked at me and asked if I supported Donny. Yes I replied “How did you know?”. He pointed to my barely visible socks. “Donny Rovers socks” Rolled up his track suit bottoms to reveal the exact same pair. 😳

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 17, 2019, 02:45:36 pm by The Red Baron »
There a Rovers fan who lives near to me in Solihull. The only two times we have met were at Solihull Station en route to Wembley. The first time for the play-off Final. The second in 2013 when we were going to the Rugby league World Cup semis.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 17, 2019, 03:10:11 pm by silent majority »
On England trips you usually bump into other Rovers fans, some who you've never seen or met before. Because it's football anyway I suppose they don't really count.

So, in 2015 I was on holiday with my good Mrs on the island of Tobago as it happens. We'd gone up the hill to have a look around Fort St George in Scarborough and whilst I was there we were taking some pictures when a guy walked up to us and introduced himself. He was a Rovers fan from Tickhill.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 17, 2019, 03:23:46 pm by idler »
There was a fellow Rovers fan on our Norway cruise in February. He came from Balby like me but has lived in South Wales for years.
Some years ago in Tunisia there was a young lad in the airport with a Rovers shirt on as well.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 17, 2019, 03:34:49 pm by PDX_Rover »
I was at San Diego Zoo recently and I saw a young lad wearing last season’s away shirt. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be my 8 year old son.

Doh.

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 17, 2019, 03:46:09 pm by Lincoln Rover »
In my previous job as a bobby, I was asked to interview someone for a road traffic allegation. Well to my amazement they were a Donny fan and they loved the fact I’d got a large photo of Sir Francis Tierneys goal at Stoke hanging in the office.
It was LONG time before we discussed what they’d attended for. Fair to say they were happy with the “ end result”.
Happy days.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 17, 2019, 03:59:45 pm by donnievic »
I was at San Diego Zoo recently and I saw a young lad wearing last season’s away shirt. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be my 8 year old son.

Doh.
how long had he been kept in the zoo for

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 17, 2019, 04:05:01 pm by The Red Baron »
In my previous job as a bobby, I was asked to interview someone for a road traffic allegation. Well to my amazement they were a Donny fan and they loved the fact I’d got a large photo of Sir Francis Tierneys goal at Stoke hanging in the office.
It was LONG time before we discussed what they’d attended for. Fair to say they were happy with the “ end result”.
Happy days.

That reminds me of the old story about Jack The Ripper. Apparently he was never apprehended after the then Commissioner of the Met found out they had been at the same school. (Eton, before you ask!)

Aisley Drfc Leeman

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 17, 2019, 04:33:51 pm by Aisley Drfc Leeman »

You could both go on the Pi$$ with Fortune-West...  I'll see myself out

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 17, 2019, 04:37:30 pm by Prez »
Went to Fuengirola about 12 years ago with the ex missus. Walked on the beach and the first beach towel i saw..... Man U, Liverpool etc?

Nope.

Doncaster rovers.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 17, 2019, 05:29:41 pm by NickDRFC »
I moved to Edinburgh last year and at the work Christmas party was sitting next to someone who I was only really on nodding terms. He asked me where I was originally from and turns out his dad grew up on Manor Drive, was a Rovers fan and the lad I work with had been to quite a few games, his favourite being the Leeds game, naturally).

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 17, 2019, 05:36:12 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
In 1986 I was Labouring on a building site in Croydon. One day I had to go to a builders yard to collect some gear when in the van beside me I spotted a lad wearing the Rovers Pilkington Glass top! I gave him a knock and we got chatting. Turned out he was born in Donny but moved to London as a baby. His Dad was a Rovers fan so he was ‘forced’ into it too!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 17, 2019, 05:54:51 pm by Filo »
A few years ago we went to Corfu, Sidari, and there was a bar on the beach run by a Rovers Fan

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 17, 2019, 06:10:12 pm by GazLaz »
Rhodes.

Highland Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 17, 2019, 06:35:41 pm by Highland Rover »
 Supermarket in Oman !

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 17, 2019, 06:52:30 pm by Spud »
Great thread this, wish I had a story lol.
As a side, does everyone else get called "Donny" on their travels? Not that I mind st all tbh.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 17, 2019, 06:55:27 pm by bpoolrover »
Cape Verde lovely guy called Brian and his wife

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on April 17, 2019, 07:02:48 pm by idler »
I was always DonnyDave for the last ten years before I retired.
I used to get a bit of stick at work but I was always respected for sticking with the team.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 17, 2019, 07:08:29 pm by Chris Black come back »
A slight detour but as I think he lives in Australia now I will use that as cover - anyone else remember the TV show about Britain’s tightest people and the steward bloke from Belle Vue was on there? Used to pick up toilet roll thrown on pitch and take home after match. Was in period when we got zero media attention and this was a real profile-raising opportunity for Rovers.

ch-ch rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 17, 2019, 07:32:29 pm by ch-ch rover »
I met this guy in Wellington NZ at a test match he was living in Perth

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 17, 2019, 07:37:05 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Mine's a bit of a detour as well but it's all I've got.
1966 (or 67), Butlins Filey, Mam, Dad, eleven year old me and four other siblings had our own table in the dining room, leaving one place which was reserved for somebody else.  Didn't take his place on Saturday for tea but was there tucking into his sunday morning breakfast when we arrived.  Black guy with the thickest Barnsley accent, It was Charley Williams, before his TV fame.  I was already a Rovers fan but Charley was well before my time so didn't have a clue he'd been a Rover.  Funniest bloke I'd ever met and mealtimes were looked forward to as much as the getting to the amusement park every day.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 17, 2019, 08:13:11 pm by drfchound »
Years ago when I was a sales rep I nipped into Birdwell post office and Charlie Williams was in there.
I asked him about his time in football and he was talking to me for about half an hour.
Lovely bloke.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 17, 2019, 08:47:30 pm by Lesonthewest »
In 1986 I was Labouring on a building site in Croydon. One day I had to go to a builders yard to collect some gear when in the van beside me I spotted a lad wearing the Rovers Pilkington Glass top! I gave him a knock and we got chatting. Turned out he was born in Donny but moved to London as a baby. His Dad was a Rovers fan so he was ‘forced’ into it too!

That's weird, I was also on a building site in Croydon in 1986!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 17, 2019, 09:10:49 pm by RedJ »

That's weird, I was also on a building site in Croydon in 1986!

What did you pinch? :)

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 17, 2019, 09:21:05 pm by RedRover45 »
I met this guy in Wellington NZ at a test match he was living in Perth

He lives in Rockhampton, near Brisbane now. He's coming back for the playoffs Final if we get there.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012