Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 06:22:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Coventry City game  (Read 9310 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Coventry City game
« on April 28, 2019, 09:21:34 am by selby »
  If Portsmouth have done their job against Peterborough on Tuesday, and at least stopped Fergies team from winning, then we should be able to go to this game as supporters quite happy to just watch a good game under no pressure, and enjoy the game. And that would suit me.
 Just one game to go, the season has flashed by, we have seen players play for us we had no knowledge of this time last season, a manager not many thought of being here, we even had the rarest of things,a little cup run, and for me it has been great, enjoyable football to watch, we have a rick in us, and we can be very very good, and we can do that in one game.
  This game is against a side much like ourselves, great going forward, great movement between the defensive lines, quick passing, and good forwards.
   At the back, not as organised and can be got at, and their manager is very good at this level, given the backing one of the best in the division who over his time there has built up the team even with off the field problems.
   We may if the two games of Peterborough and Coventry results before this game go as we want, be able to field any team we want, a top six place assured, but knowing us it will not work out that way,so I will assume we have to approach the game seriously and get a result.
  If so I would pick the team to start being who finished on the field at Oxford, injuries allowing, but would consider Lewis at full back.
   Of course if the fat lady is already singing, do you rest certain players? rotate during the game giving three half a game? or will we have the luxury of giving fringe players a game from the start? or would you always pick your strongest side and risk injury for a later playoff game?
  Lot's of different scenarios  can happen which results before this game of other teams can alter.
  I am sure most of us would prefer the relaxed approach, but this is Doncaster Rovers we are talking about, and being on edge is the norm.
   Lots to discuss, please have your say, and hopefully
 not for the last time this season.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Coventry City game
« Reply #1 on April 28, 2019, 09:24:12 am by DonnyOsmond »
If we're already got the play offs I'd rest some and give Boocock and gang a go.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 28, 2019, 09:29:08 am by Chris Black come back »
If Coventry win today by say a goal or two margin and Peterborough draw or lose, then we are really on easy street next Saturday.

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 28, 2019, 09:31:04 am by deebee »
Resting players can be OK, but in football, I think you need momentum. Maybe rest a few of the key players eg:- Marquis, Copps and Kane in case of injury, otherwise, go with the strongest team. 

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 28, 2019, 09:31:36 am by drfc1951 »
But if Coventry won by 4 or 5 then it would be a very nervous game.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 28, 2019, 09:35:19 am by Donnywolf »
Well I picked up a well deserved point yesterday at least !

I think we will have to collectively wait and see what we are faced with and what Team we can put out given we may be in the Play offs a few days later against a,b,c or d.

Hopefully a game with nowt on it with Cov C wondering what might have been - and what might be in the future.

The Season has gone in a flash but at least there have been flashes of form - a great record at home - and good entertainment - so much more enjoyable as under our last Manager. Hoping we keep ahead of PBoro and whether we go up or not I am looking forward to something similar next Season

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 28, 2019, 09:42:39 am by Chris Black come back »
This season has been a success and McCann (who let us not forget was appointed relatively late in close season due to time of departure by Ferguson) has addressed three absolutely glaring failings of the previous manager:

1. If our budget is around 6/7 in this league, then we need to be finishing around 6/7 in this league. To have those resources and piss around in bottom half of table is not acceptable.

2. Playing football that wakes you up from rather than puts you into a slumber

3. Playing players in positions they are suited and in a formation that gets the best rather than the worst out of them.

McCann has addressed all these and while there are still frailties (keeping, defending, losing to the weaker teams in the league, away form) all in all a good season whatever happens next.

Well done McCann and the board.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 28, 2019, 09:47:37 am by Donnywolf »
Post of the Day contender there

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 28, 2019, 10:22:15 am by since-1969 »
We seem to be playing with a nervousness about us , we don’t have many big game players who can cool the game down when it needs . Coventry are a better side than given credit for and will blow us away if we don’t or can’t get over our first half  nervousness and stop looking to half time to solve our problems.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 28, 2019, 10:27:00 am by Donnywolf »
Agree - especially if they cant catch us and play it for fun

That might impede us and give us the jitters if Posh can catch us ...

.... but I will not panic about either scenario yet as there are lots of permutations before I worry

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 28, 2019, 10:29:59 am by Campsall rover »
Momentum is everything so we should play a very strong team.
I do think Coventry will win by 3 goals today & if they do they will have to beat us 6-0
If that happens we simply do not deserve to be in the play offs.
IT WON’T HAPPEN.
All we need to concern ourselves with is Posh winning at Pompey.
If that happens and is POSSIBLE if UNLIKELY then we will be sitting through a very tense 90+ minutes next Saturday.  :facepalm:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 28, 2019, 02:10:51 pm by Campsall rover »
Team v Coventry. 4-2-3-1

Marosi

Lewis
Downing/Anderson
Butler
Andrews

Kane
Whiteman

Wilks
Coppinger
Sadlier

Marquis

Subs :
Jones, Blair, Downing/Anderson, Rowe, Crawford, Smith & Boocock.

I would give Lewis a run out in this game, needs some game time as may be required for play offs. As much as we all like Matty Blair he is not a full back and the opposition know this. Week in week out from the start of every game he is targeted as a weak link in our team by the opposing team.
Also give a bench place to Boocock who deserves it.
Play the system which works best and gives us much more fluidity 4-2-3-1
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 02:14:13 pm by Campsall rover »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 28, 2019, 04:41:55 pm by selby »
  Coventry are at the moment winning 1-0 vShrewsbury so will need an emphatic win at the Keepmoat next week to overall us, if the score stays the same to the end.
  Almost impossible with other teams, but they did score five at Sunderland.
   1-1 now while typing, phew.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 04:44:50 pm by selby »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 28, 2019, 04:55:03 pm by selby »
 Well, that is one worry gone. We are all Pompey fans now aren't we?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 28, 2019, 06:53:35 pm by Donnywolf »
Pompey will not lose. They cant as they need to win to be in with a chance of catching Barnsley and / or Luton

Would love us to play Luton to avenge the 4-0 win. I would give the game a miss becasue I posted previously my two visits to that "apology for a Ground" both ended 4-0 to them

God is trying to tell me something (as is Selby)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 07:20:00 pm by Donnywolf »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 28, 2019, 10:20:20 pm by selby »
   Don't believe in lightning striking three times Wolfie, and now we have found the Conservative Club, you can get the beers in.
   Anyway it is a different competition, a three game sprint, and we are the only team if we get in it who look on it as success, all the other teams, with their budget have failed to get automatic promotion, they should be sacking their manager, let's start stirring it he he.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 29, 2019, 06:14:48 am by Donnywolf »
They are on me if it happens. Good grief I would hate going to Luton again and that Club is NOT what I expected given its name but ...

... yeah lets go.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 29, 2019, 08:40:22 am by selby »
  My mate Derek who you met, said at the time he is a nice bloke that Wolfie, but where did he go when we got to the bar?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 30, 2019, 09:49:29 am by selby »
  If the result at Portsmouth tonight goes the right way, personally I would like to see Lirak Hasani, Tyler Smith, and Boocock at some stage take a meaningful part in the game.
   Smith looks quick and direct, and with Sheffield United getting promotion ( fantastic well done) could be one for us on a full season loan or a permanent if Grant fancies him. He has understudied two of the best strikers in this division who's form has given him very little chance to make his mark, but Grant has seen him every day in training so will know his capabilities.
  Boocock has had a great season at youth and development levels, and looks to have that gold dust scoring goals ability.
  Lirak Hasani shocked everyone when in the squad at  Luton and coming on. but he did well on the day and impressed enough to warrent another go.
  Of course it all depends on the result tonight at Portsmouth, hopefully they win and the pressure is off us and allows us to relax, and it would give us the supporters a little more interest and maybe a glimpse of the future and a glimpse of the hard work our coaching staff put in to improve our youth and development sides.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 30, 2019, 10:25:18 am by Alan Southstand »
Smith is too close a fit to Boocock, Selby, and I would personally prefer us to develop Boocock further, as I think he has something about him. Not a big physical specimen, like Smith, but has an eye for goal.

Hasani I've watched a few times now and, whilst he shows great potential, he is nowhere near a 'Whiteman', and I realise we shouldn't expect him to be at his young age. In the last u18's game, it was AJ who stood out in midfield.

The thing that will get in the way of using either Hasani or Boocock is the fact that we play a crucial final u18 game on Saturday morning against Notts County. Win it and we have won the league! So, I don't expect to see either involved for the seniors.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 30, 2019, 10:42:50 am by Chris Black come back »
If Coventry is a dead game I suspect he will play Whiteman to continue his rehab and rest a few who have had hard season, including Copps.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 30, 2019, 11:16:33 am by coventryrover »
Please will  this.   My life will be so much easier

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 30, 2019, 11:19:34 am by sha66y »
A must win game if only to take a victory into the play offs,

Maybe blood a couple of youn uns, if we look like we’re in control...

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 30, 2019, 11:41:59 am by Alan Southstand »
Maybe blood a couple of youn uns, if we look like we’re in control...

That will not happen - see my post above.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 30, 2019, 12:12:16 pm by IDM »
Assuming Portsmouth do us a favour tonight, we should pick our best side (for the play offs) barring niggling injuries, get some momentum going and a stable team..

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 30, 2019, 12:44:07 pm by selby »
  Thanks for the info Alan, it would be only right that they play in that important match and try and achieve what has been the aim all season.
   Whiteman pulled up at one point at Oxford after a tackle and may need  to play smart rather than full blooded if we are already in the playoffs.
  It is still a first team game, therefore still important, but if the  score in this game, and results elsewhere are favourable we could still have a quite relaxed attitude towards it, which just may help our play. I am sure all the players will want to push themselves forward to both play in the playoffs if we are lucky enough to be in them, for self esteem, and their future at the club.
  John Marquis and Wilks will want to be on the score sheet I am sure.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 01:53:23 pm by selby »

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 30, 2019, 01:39:48 pm by The Red Baron »
I am hoping that both Portsmouth and Sunderland win tonight. It will mean any two of the top four can claim automatic promotion, although Luton and Barnsley will still have it their own hands.

All four will have to field their strongest teams on Saturday if that happens. Ourselves and Charlton would have the option of resting one or two players.

Although I wouldn't expect any under 18s to play some of those who have been on the bench recently might get a chance to start. Prime candidates for a rest would be Whiteman, Kane, Copps and maybe also Marquis and Wilks. Also we don't know about any players who are carrying injuries.

As I understand it, Danny Amos and Alex Kiwomya (if fit) are available for selection on Saturday.

Obviously if Peterborough win tonight we'll have to go all out for a win. If they draw we probably can't afford too many changes as a heavy defeat could cause us problems.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 30, 2019, 01:48:54 pm by IDM »
I cannot imagine Marquis wanting a rest, not the manager wanting him to rest, unless he has a slight injury..

We don’t have a like for like replacement..

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 30, 2019, 03:09:42 pm by Chris Black come back »
If they draw tonight that means goal difference stays at 10 but if level I think goals scored count so the difference is 11 really. This means that say we would have to lose by five and they win by six to go ahead. Isn’t going to happen. Plus Coventry will be on beach.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 30, 2019, 03:18:30 pm by dknward2 »
Coventry have sold almost 2000 tickets so expect a large if not a sell out for them they won't be on the beach unfortunately.

Pompy win tonight then our game doesn't  matter.

If Lawlor is looking fit and almost ready maybe he should start

TinyPortal © 2005-2012