Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 03:36:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the return game in the playoffs at Charlton.  (Read 7827 times)

selby

• VSC Member
  Trailing one by one goal gives us a mountain to climb on Friday night. Not many neutrals will give us much chance of overturning the result at home today, but as a club, as a team, as supporters we must believe that against the odds we can do so.
  The team at their best are well capable of doing it in my opinion, although we are playing a good team, I can't help thinking we have seen the best of them today, if they repeat that form then it will be very very difficult, but we know we can improve on our own showing.
  We have had an exceptional season, doing well in the cup, and taking our league season interest right to the end of the season. Our manager has been a revelation, has got the team playing good football to watch, and has a personality that is always enthusiastic and straight to the point.
  The team to a man have given everything all season, we are not the greatest team in the world, but nobody can criticise their effort,and that is the minimum I ask and expect.
  So, one last big effort from everyone, hope that we have a little luck along the way, and we hit form when it matters, probably a slight change tactically, and give it our best shot, if we do that and fail, we can hold our heads up, and go forward to next season.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

oliver

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the return game in the playoffs at Charlton.
« Reply #1 on May 12, 2019, 08:40:10 pm by oliver »
brilliant summary onwards  and upwards.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 12, 2019, 08:40:24 pm by keith79 »
I still believe.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
At 2-0 I said next goal winner. I don't see it as a mountain to climb but a large step would be scoring the first goal on Friday, then its anyone's game.

Stay in the tie as long as possible and their nerves will be shredded.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 12, 2019, 08:56:04 pm by drfchound »
At 2-0 I said next goal winner. I don't see it as a mountain to climb but a large step would be scoring the first goal on Friday, then its anyone's game.

Stay in the tie as long as possible and their nerves will be shredded.

Very similar to my post elsewhere mate.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 13, 2019, 06:33:18 am by Donnywolf »
I said somewhere else .... if it had gone 3-0 or even stayed 2-0 I felt that would be that BUT .... we need just to win 1-0 with any scrappy old goal / or contraversial goal and then win on Pens ?

Can be done surely although as I said I reckon Charlton have the game to beat the winners of the other POSemi

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 13, 2019, 06:59:13 am by Metalmicky »
has got the team playing good football to watch
It wasn't good to watch yesterday....... :unsure:

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 13, 2019, 08:41:14 am by steve@dcfd »
To get something out of the game on Friday we need more from Sadlier and Wilks if selected. While on the pitch Copps was the best of the three.
GM does not have many options that will improve those three.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
To get something out of the game on Friday we need more from Sadlier and Wilks if selected. While on the pitch Copps was the best of the three.
Copps was awful yesterday in fact he hasn’t played well from the Bradford game, this is obviously based on how we know he can play. Sadlier wasn’t in the game and Wilks and Marquis marked out of it.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Worrying sign was that McCann choose to bring May on over Smith, and that he is now looking for more ‘energy’.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Charlton had Wilks’s number until he went on the the left. Do I need to say any more.
His power and pace will enable him to go past people on his natural left foot. Switch them during the game, we need to get Charlton to deal with the unexpected.
On the right he sometimes becomes predictable. CAFC had done their homework. As a team we need to become less predictable.
He also needs to get closer to JM at times and work more as a pair. Taylor and Parker as example yesterday.
We can win this and as so many are saying the 1st goal on Fri is massive.
SUFC & SWFC are not massive. The 1st goal on FRI IS MASSIVE.  :facepalm:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Copps was awful yesterday in fact he hasn’t played well from the Bradford game, this is obviously based on how we know he can play. Sadlier wasn’t in the game and Wilks and Marquis marked out of it.
What? He was our best player 1st half

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 13, 2019, 09:20:10 am by selby »
 In all the games I have watched us play against Charlton which is quite a few, luck and Doncaster Rovers have been a very rare commodity, and Charlton have had it go their way far the most.
   We need to bring our "A" game to this match, with our big players all turning up on form. The team we started with yesterday is probably the best we can turn out in my opinion due to coming back from injury and others off the field life style, so I would go again with the same team, but probably start the game with one up front and get more bodies in midfield and match them up.
  What formation would you employ?

bedale rover

• VSC Member
We need to frustrate them and play on the break
Play 5 at the back Blair and Andrew as wig backs and look to score when they are over committed

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Please let’s not have five at the back!

Happily saw back of that farrago with the last guy.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 13, 2019, 11:25:25 am by selby »
  Our last away performance at Oxford was right up there with the Preston game as the best of the season.
  In context both games were very different in  the way we and the opposition approached the game but in both games we played very very well, a display like any of those two games and we are in with a shout of getting the required result.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 13, 2019, 11:57:00 am by Boomstick »
How many we sold?  :chair:

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 13, 2019, 12:04:22 pm by Retdon1 »
We need to frustrate them and play on the break
Play 5 at the back Blair and Andrew as wig backs and look to score when they are over committed

We haven’t played 5 at the back all season so I don’t think a play off final is the time to start.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 13, 2019, 12:23:28 pm by steve@dcfd »

That shows how poor those three were. Only time Wilksgotinto the game is when he went to the left. Sadlier was never ever in the game no pace to get past the right wing back or right side defender. No skill to beat them with the ball a his feet all he did was try then passed the ball backwards.

Those three were not a patch on the attacking players around Taylor. Those three must make the biggest improvement if we are going to win this game.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member

1154  :party:

Guessing it will be around 1500 on the day, more would be ideal but enough for some solid noise. *If* I were chairman, I'd pull all the stops out at this stage and lay on free coaches with a meal paid for on the way down.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 13, 2019, 12:41:57 pm by Boomstick »

1154  :party:

Guessing it will be around 1500 on the day, more would be ideal but enough for some solid noise. *If* I were chairman, I'd pull all the stops out at this stage and lay on free coaches with a meal paid for on the way down.
Not bad, I think 1500 would be decent for us, away in London, Friday night, short notice etc.

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: Into The Valley...
« Reply #21 on May 13, 2019, 12:53:44 pm by roversdude »
They were very well organised and the fact that they finished so many points in front showed.
That is until we actually thought we could get something and they were rattled, I fancied an equaliser but time beat us.
Personally I’d go with the same starting line up with the exception of Anderson for Downing (he seemed intent in playing the man all game yesterday)
Still think we can do it down there looking forward to it

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
3/1 for us to win, 12/1 for promotion. Great odds imo.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 13, 2019, 01:16:17 pm by IDM »
Worrying sign was that McCann choose to bring May on over Smith, and that he is now looking for more ‘energy’.

One thing May has is spades and that is energy.!!

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member

One thing May has is spades and that is energy.!!

That in itself is effective in messing with the heads of their tired defence towards the end of a game and helping create space for others, eg Blair.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 13, 2019, 04:01:12 pm by philsky »

McCann's team talk is straightforward - Bowyer's less so.

Whatever Bowyer says to his team they'll know that 2-0 and 2-1 is a big difference. They'll be trying to think 'its in our hands' but will be doing ffs why did we concede.

After the match at the Keepmoat McCann will have said to the team '"there you go, that's what we can do".

I bet our dressing room was buzzing and I bet there's was less so.

All to play for.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
The nearer we get to Friday the more confident i am we are going to pull this one off.
Score first in the 95th min and get the winner in 2nd min of added on time of extra time. That’ll do nicely.
Got to be better than winning on penalties hasn’t it. Don’t quite think i can stand that.
Chester very nearly finished me off. I think this one would.  :facepalm

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 14, 2019, 09:37:18 pm by Rovers91 »
We need to get someone closer to Marquis, we looked slow and out of ideas when going forward in the home leg. To say Marquis isn't blessed with pace is an understatement and because they were powerful at the back they dealt with it comfortably. We need someone like a Smith (please not May) who has energy and can try play off the scraps from when marquis is battling. For all the possession we had they looked comfortable so we need to try something different. We can do it though but we are gonna have to put in one of our best performance of the season.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 14, 2019, 09:42:27 pm by Filo »
We need to get someone closer to Marquis, we looked slow and out of ideas when going forward in the home leg. To say Marquis isn't blessed with pace is an understatement and because they were powerful at the back they dealt with it comfortably. We need someone like a Smith (please not May) who has energy and can try play off the scraps from when marquis is battling. For all the possession we had they looked comfortable so we need to try something different. We can do it though but we are gonna have to put in one of our best performance of the season.

Not sure if you’ve watched Smith when he comes on, but 75% of the time he’s in an offside position

Campsall rover

• Forum Member

Not sure if you’ve watched Smith when he comes on, but 75% of the time he’s in an offside position
Play Marquis and Wilks together up front and get the width from our full backs.
Use Whiteman and Kane to hold when our full backs bomb forward.
I want to see them worry about our full backs not us worry about their wide men.
We need to use plan B as we are predictable and Bowyer will have his plan based on what he knows not what he doesn’t know. We need to surprise them and throw them of their game plan.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012