Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 09:43:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Liam Hoden  (Read 9459 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Liam Hoden
« Reply #30 on June 22, 2019, 08:00:01 am by dickos1 »
You been watching love island nudga

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on June 22, 2019, 08:02:36 am by graingrover »
The words spoken by James  Coppinger   on Twitter are a mark of true  leadership .Coaching the mind of players is much more important than coaching set pieces .You could make a top manager James especially the way this world of football is slowly but surely being ruined by the money chase.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on June 22, 2019, 08:06:22 am by Nudga »
You been watching love island nudga

I haven't got the foggiest what you mean as I have never watched crap like that. It's for chavs or blokes who live with chavs who don't have any b*llocks 🙄

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on June 22, 2019, 08:09:04 am by dickos1 »
Ah,
Everyone on the show constantly says
 “it is what it is”

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on June 22, 2019, 08:48:14 am by Rovers91 »
The words spoken by James  Coppinger   on Twitter are a mark of true  leadership .Coaching the mind of players is much more important than coaching set pieces .You could make a top manager James especially the way this world of football is slowly but surely being ruined by the money chase.

One tweet doesn't mean he could make a top manager.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on June 22, 2019, 08:51:53 am by Wild Rover »
Every journey starts with one step.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on June 22, 2019, 08:57:54 am by IDM »
Any new manager coming in, in preparation for interview, will at least have reviewed the squad players we have, and will already have their thoughts on additions - wouldn’t they.??

I expect that is what they would discuss at interview..

And just because we have advertised with a deadline, it doesn’t mean early applicants can’t be talked to sooner..

We may perhaps need to veer towards more loanees than we would like, at least until January..

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on June 22, 2019, 09:04:41 am by drfchound »

Hey, I posted that comment a couple of days ago.

I have to be honest though and admit I nicked it from a Chinese bloke.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on June 22, 2019, 09:06:52 am by drfchound »

One tweet doesn't mean he could make a top manager.

I don't want Copps to become our manager.
Apart from not wanting him to get abuse if things went wrong........besides that we would be another player light.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on June 22, 2019, 09:56:33 am by Wild Rover »
Co

Confuscious.

Darren

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on June 22, 2019, 10:21:05 am by Darren »
Co

Grasshopper

Confuscious.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on June 22, 2019, 10:30:05 am by drfchound »
Co

Confuscious.

Yeah it is a bit. 

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on June 22, 2019, 11:14:55 am by Jonathan »
Dickos seems to get it in the neck on here. Sometimes for being delusionally optimistic / defending managers from criticism, and right now it’s apparently pessimistic. We all have our own opinions.

But how can anyone possibly argue against the fact that McCann leaves us weaker than he found us? The fact we had an excellent season under McCann is a completely separate point. He has left us in a dreadful position less than a week from the start of pre season.

When McCann arrived, not only did we have a bigger, stronger and more competitive squad, but we also had a coach in place (Strachan) that was well capable of overseeing everything until the new appointment.

He has chosen to decimate the squad, particularly of senior leadership. He got rid of the captain he appointed (Rowe) and the captain in all but name (Butler). I was fine with both those decisions but he never got around to replacing their roles. He’s taken his assistant with him. He’s committed money to players that he wanted but the next manager might not.

In time we might well be better as any new manager clearly has room in the budget to shape things the way he wants. But what he doesn’t have is time, nor can he come in and lean on senior leadership in and around the first team picture (Coppinger excepted obviously - but that’s not his role). There’s no coach, no captain, and it will take time to get up to speed.

This is a far worse position than the one McCann inherited. Yes, he managed Ferguson’s team better than Ferguson, but that’s irrelevant now he’s gone. And yes he brought in some good loan players that undoubtedly added to our season, but now they’re gone. And so has he, so has his assistant and indeed seven of the players that started that incredible game at Charlton.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 11:20:51 am by Jonathan »

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on June 22, 2019, 11:18:15 am by pib »
Good post Jonathan.

Who is actually in charge at the moment? I know there’s no training to be done yet, and it will probably be left to a new manager to sign their own players, but if pre-season starts before a new guy is in place, who is steering the ship? Paul Gerrard?

Ho

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on June 22, 2019, 11:39:43 am by Ho »
When McCann arrived, not only did we have a bigger, stronger and more competitive squad

Of that squad:

Lund
Garrett ?
Mandeville
Beestin
Kiwomya
Mccullough

Barely played 10 games between them... and even Rowe never featured that much

So yes, it was bigger...

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on June 22, 2019, 11:49:57 am by bedale rover »
Co

Confuscious.

Mao Tse Tung

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on June 22, 2019, 11:51:13 am by Alan Southstand »
But at least we could field a full subs bench - and we had a few good, solid leaders throughout the first 11.

We've got Copps left and, to a degree, Blair, and that's it. Our natural leader up front wants away also, which only adds to the problem!

Whichever way you look at it, he has left us in the sh1t. We should be finalising our last few signings now and we have to wait a week before they even scratch a list together.

The man was an arrogant, selfish, hypocrite.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on June 22, 2019, 11:55:12 am by Jonathan »
When McCann arrived, not only did we have a bigger, stronger and more competitive squad

Of that squad:

Lund
Garrett ?
Mandeville
Beestin
Kiwomya
Mccullough

So yes, it was bigger...

Very selective. Logic would of course point more in the direction of Marosi, Mason, Andrew, Butler, Rowe and a settled Marquis. Though I did like Beestin.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on June 22, 2019, 11:57:45 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Excellent post as ever Jonathan.

Got me thinking about McCann.

Let's ignore the quality of football he brought (good though it was at its best - although it was hit and miss from Xmas.)

Think about legacy and motives.

It's not just a case of him leaving us worse than he found us. He's added nothing. Anywhere.

He inherited a good squad and he added decent loaners. And he got them playing attractive and reasonably successful football.

But he clearly wasn't building anything.

And, more illuminating, he clearly didn't trust himself to be able to continue that. Because if he DID trust himself, it would be mad to go to a crisis club like Hull.

Stay here. Have another season or two building your reputation. If you're good, you'll have your pick of lower half Championship sides.

No. He chose not to do that. He's gone for the first bigger club to come sniffing. That smacks of a lack of confidence.

Now, as it is, he's two poor months at Hull away from his entire career being in jeopardy. Because, if he gets the bullet there, what does his CV look like?

Distinctly average at Peterborough.
Achieved modestly with us, but to a great extent living off others' efforts in building a squad, and leaving us a shambles.
Failed at the next level.

I'm thinking McCann got the gig of his life last year. An excellent, underachieving squad. Depressed expectations. A supportive Board. Not much more you can ask for.

He did a decent job with that, but  I'm seeing him in a different light now.

Oh aye. Parting thought. Coppinger's tweet was a masterpiece of diplomacy. Not a word of anger or hurt, but equally, not a word of praise or thanks to McCann. Very, very illuminating.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on June 22, 2019, 12:18:06 pm by Jonathan »
Agree on pretty much all of that BST, other than to say that I (rightly or wrongly) did believe in the articulation of McCann’s ‘project’ with a strong and competitive first team squad supplemented with the gradual development and integration of the under 23s. When he said after the Charlton game “believe you me we’ll be stronger” I (rightly or wrongly) believed in that.

As others have also said, I backed his ruthless decisions that resulted in senior players departing, on the basis that I trusted him to replace them. But he’s walked away after largely only completing the dismantling phase of a fairly unconventional blueprint. So he leaves us weaker, undoubtedly, without even a coach.

Even the head of recruitment left so initially it’s a very tough job for someone to take on. One that in time could and should be very appealing as they will get patience, time and backing from the board, the space to bring in their own players and support from the fans if they can entertain and compete. But the timing of all this makes it very difficult to take shape this summer. There’s no time to assess the current squad competitively, and no existing coach or director of football / recruitment to impart influence.

McCann may have had the right ideas (we’ll never know) but he certainly hasn’t built a solid foundation or left any lasting legacy. He’s delivered a good season, spoke very well and had a song that took off. Other than that, to quote him; “he was what he was”. 

dijit8

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on June 22, 2019, 12:43:38 pm by dijit8 »
Agree with a lot of what the last two posts have said. I thought this season would be a challenge to McCann and a chance if he could deliver on all his talk. Sadly he has walked away so we won't know. Had he proved himself next season with us then I think it would have put in good stead for a career in management, if he fails at Hull as others have said he may not find opportunities to manage again come quickly.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on June 22, 2019, 01:34:15 pm by IDM »
Perhaps some of the potential incoming players are still in process of joining.?

Ho

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on June 22, 2019, 02:17:18 pm by Ho »

Of that squad:

Lund
Garrett ?
Mandeville
Beestin
Kiwomya
Mccullough

So yes, it was bigger...

Very selective. Logic would of course point more in the direction of Marosi, Mason, Andrew, Butler, Rowe and a settled Marquis. Though I did like Beestin.

..which are replaceable (two have been) or are an asset that would realise significant value.

I wasn’t in the slightest bit concerned last season when Ferguson left and I feel exactly the same now. I agree there are some short term issues to sort out, but given the progress off the field they are all fixable.

As for McCann I don’t begrudge anyone wanting to push themselves to a higher level - sometimes you can make the step up too early (as I did once in my own career).  We’ll see how forgiving football is if that is the case..

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on June 22, 2019, 02:31:47 pm by DonnyOsmond »
But at least we could field a full subs bench - and we had a few good, solid leaders throughout the first 11.

We've got Copps left and, to a degree, Blair, and that's it. Our natural leader up front wants away also, which only adds to the problem!

Whichever way you look at it, he has left us in the sh1t. We should be finalising our last few signings now and we have to wait a week before they even scratch a list together.

The man was an arrogant, selfish, hypocrite.

Lawlor

Halliday
Anderson
Wright
James

Blair
Whiteman
Crawford

Coppinger
Marquis
Sadlier

Jones
Hasani
Boocock
Gomes
Amos
Kiwomya
Longbottom
May
Blaney
Watters
Horton
Prior
Greaves
McLean

Slightly more than 7 there.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on June 22, 2019, 03:42:23 pm by adamtherover »
To be fair, that starting 11 looks pretty strong, only wilks and kane missing really...

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on June 22, 2019, 04:00:41 pm by Alan Southstand »
Donny, that's fair enough if you believe all those 14 possible subs are of a standard to step in. I've watched the large majority and imho, the vast majority are not. And, let's face it, the departing manager told us that he was to have a dedicated u23 squad next season, which is basically, those 14. I'm all for the progression for one or two of the young lads to step up this season, but you wouldn't want to be basing a L1 top 6 side on a bunch of relatively untried young lads.

We are still several players away from having a top 6 competitive side and you well know it. Marquis possibly leaving gives us another problem to solve.

Factor in that the new manager may or may not rate many of the players we have and it does make it interesting.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on June 22, 2019, 04:09:29 pm by scawsby steve »
To be fair, that starting 11 looks pretty strong, only wilks and kane missing really...

He's got Marquis in there; he won't be here, neither will there be a replacement who's capable of scoring 26 goals in a season.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on June 22, 2019, 04:11:31 pm by the vicar »
And we won’t have a manager in place to replace him 🙄
We will soon Dickos. What’s up with you. 2 years ago you would have gone berserk at your own posts.
Complete U turn. What has happened. You need some therapy. Seem an angry man.

Do you think it will be soon enough though?
Yes it will. GM didn’t start until 30th of June and we finished 6th.
New manager will be in place i am sure by 8th July at the latest.

But the major difference was McCann had a ready made side, he only needed to add 2 loan signings.
The next manager will need an awful lot more than that, and will have three weeks to do it

Not quite right Dickos...
Yes the players were there but they were not in the right formation...GM saw that, and fixed it...
This time ...all the players are in the correct formation, they just need adding to ....

So! In my opinion....
Any new manager will have the guts of a strong squad that play good football the correct way, all he has to do is recognise where to strengthen, and all managers like to bring in one or two that they already know...

Exciting times ahead, don’t ya think?
Or are ya just gonna whinge and whine all season, and spoil it for yaself lol
that is if the new manager wants to go down the road of good football, then if not he has to start again. He might plat defensive hoof ball depends who we get

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on June 22, 2019, 04:14:02 pm by Copps is Magic »
Attractive football is one of the criteria in the job description on the official site.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on June 22, 2019, 04:25:53 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Donny, that's fair enough if you believe all those 14 possible subs are of a standard to step in. I've watched the large majority and imho, the vast majority are not. And, let's face it, the departing manager told us that he was to have a dedicated u23 squad next season, which is basically, those 14. I'm all for the progression for one or two of the young lads to step up this season, but you wouldn't want to be basing a L1 top 6 side on a bunch of relatively untried young lads.

We are still several players away from having a top 6 competitive side and you well know it. Marquis possibly leaving gives us another problem to solve.

Factor in that the new manager may or may not rate many of the players we have and it does make it interesting.

I do think we need 6 new players (backup right back, center back, two midfielder, striker and wide forward) to be anywhere near what we were last season but my point is if the season started today we'd be ok. Also, I'm a keen advocator that throwing lads in against first teamers will help them develop quicker. Reserve football isn't the same.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012