Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 08:34:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Morning everyone, the start of a new era...  (Read 8578 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Morning everyone, the start of a new era...
« on June 22, 2019, 12:10:49 pm by silent majority »
I'm so glad I was travelling on business for most of yesterday, I'm not sure that the meltdown on the forum would have been easy to take if I'd been closer to it.

However, the club were in touch throughout the day informing me of the process and the state of play, for which I was grateful.

I expressed my opinion at length about Grant, and questioned the logic behind his move much the same way you've all done on here. But it was refreshing to hear that the club although disappointed, were not distraught, nor overwhelmed with the task they now find themselves with. In fact they felt the opposite. They see this as an opportunity to drive the club forward again, to re-look at the manager situation and make that constant improvement which has been a feature of this club for some time. We have been inundated with applications for the vacant post already, well before the advert going out. That shows people want to come to us, they're seeking us out, and there are positive reasons for that.

Despite the negativity that some posters on here delight in expressing, there's very little accuracy or logic with some of the points they make. I notice that some want to sack the board for example. This board, which has given us about 10 years of good times, provided the stability and financial strength to survive in times that are not easy for football clubs. This board who are the envy of just about any other football club, this board who chose the recent manager who gave us this last successful season. Yet the logic seems to be that they 'are not football people' and they don't know what they're doing. If this is an example of people who don't know what they're doing then can we have a lot more of this please??

This board played a straight bat to the recent overtures from Hull. They adopted the moral high ground and dealt with the circumstances as anybody would expect them to do. But I see certain DRFC fans now want them to adopt different tactics, make approaches to managers who are already in work, or poach talent from elsewhere. That's not the club we are surely? We have massive respect throughout the game of football, do you really want us to lose all of that so we can have a manager that might bring us success?

This board chose well the last time, they followed their process, they eliminated the managers that didn't fit and picked someone who was underwhelming for the most seasoned DRFC supporters. I trusted them then, and I'll trust them again.

I know people are feeling bitter, but that's not our way is it? I think we should adopt the philosophy shown by Jamie Coppinger in his tweet that said 'To the players and fans of @drfc_official its important we do what we always do,stick together, work hard and prove the doubters wrong...AGAIN!'.

My thoughts entirely.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Morning everyone, the start of a new era...
« Reply #1 on June 22, 2019, 12:14:35 pm by Chris Black come back »
Very good and reasoned post. People need to stick their heads up and look at the long-term fundamentals, not one short-term managerial change. That McCann has left is not the end of the club. As John Ryan said about Paul Green - Grant McCann did not make Doncaster Rovers, Doncaster Rovers made Grant McCann. Chin up!

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 22, 2019, 12:17:33 pm by pib »
This is not a criticism, and I don’t ask this in a loaded way whatsoever - but does this mean that we wouldn’t approach a manager who is already in work at all?

Say, for example, if a former midfielder managing in the South West was to apply for the job, would it not be considered?

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 22, 2019, 12:22:44 pm by mpc123 »
Thanks SM for the post.

Stick together and move forward, I too see an opportunity to move the club even further forward.

In the depths of despair last year when many said relegation, I said top 6 and Whiteman can easily play the defensive role.

Next year with 3 or 4 added and replacement/s for Marquis we could be in a much stronger position squad wise again.

Marquis cost us nothing so same again we may not have to spend a fortune to get the same again.

Get the right leader on, of which this board I trust will, then we are in for a great season.

RTID

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 22, 2019, 12:24:01 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Good post. I think the overall majority of the negativity is at Grant for his loyalty comments then pissing off and leaving us with 12/13 first teamers. He's left us in a mess. The only negativity about the board would be the length of time the interview process will take, as the window isn't open forever and any targets a new man would want could end up going to other clubs.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 22, 2019, 12:24:06 pm by silent majority »
This is not a criticism, and I don’t ask this in a loaded way whatsoever - but does this mean that we wouldn’t approach a manager who is already in work at all?

Say, for example, if a former midfielder managing in the South West was to apply for the job, would it not be considered?

I don't know the answer to that, but what I do know is that in all our dealings with other football clubs we like to do it the right way. Look at examples like buying Alfie May, his parent club praised DRFC for the way we participated in the negotiations. It's in our DNA.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 22, 2019, 12:26:45 pm by Filo »
Martin, can you comment on the loans that were apparently already agreed?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 22, 2019, 12:27:25 pm by silent majority »
Good post. I think the overall majority of the negativity is at Grant for his loyalty comments then pissing off and leaving us with 12/13 first teamers. He's left us in a mess. The only negativity about the board would be the length of time the interview process will take, as the window isn't open forever and any targets a new man would want could end up going to other clubs.

Thanks DO, but as I mentioned we have been overrun with applications already. That will take some sifting through, breaking down, and then organising interviews and carrying out due diligence. As a process we should be done and dusted early July. 8th/9th/10th I would assume.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 22, 2019, 12:30:11 pm by silent majority »
Martin, can you comment on the loans that were apparently already agreed?

As far as I'm aware everything is still in place. But this is football, and managers do like to have their own contacts and players. I would assume the new manager will have a list of players he likes, much like Grant did when he came here.

But our profile amongst Premiership clubs is good, I can't see that being any different.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 22, 2019, 12:30:50 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Great post SM. Thank you

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 22, 2019, 12:32:14 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Who will be taking them to La Manga? Paul Gerrard?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 22, 2019, 12:34:41 pm by silent majority »
Who will be taking them to La Manga? Paul Gerrard?

Yes, I believe so. Pre-season is carrying on as you'd expect.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 22, 2019, 12:37:21 pm by Jonathan »
I would take it to mean that if a manager expressed an interest in our job we would do the decent thing and negotiate with his club before entering into formal talks. To be fair I get the feeling that’s what’s just happened here too. I’m not sure Hull did the tapping up, I feel it may have come through McCann and his agent. Remarkable really given his words.

To be fair to Hull they made an official approach before entering into formal talks. But something had gone on before that, clearly.

Roversfan1

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 22, 2019, 12:37:55 pm by Roversfan1 »
 I appreciate the fact we may be considered a polite club and honorable, these are great values but what i think we are missing is that predatory business methods. Facts are the club is a business, and at the moment we are somewhat dwindling. If we want success we are going to have to take some chances and be more aggressive. I am in no way criticizing the board, we could not ask for more loyal savvy individuals.

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 22, 2019, 12:38:01 pm by firestarter »
Thanks SM.. could you give any feedback on the chats you had re Grant and the logic behind his subsequent move?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 22, 2019, 12:38:07 pm by Chris Black come back »
Folk before they self-combust over the recruitment strategy for the new manager might ponder the difference between approaching a manager currently in a job, and a manager currently in a job applying to be our manager. Two different scenarios entirely.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 22, 2019, 12:41:56 pm by Copps is Magic »
This board played a straight bat to the recent overtures from Hull. They adopted the moral high ground and dealt with the circumstances as anybody would expect them to do. But I see certain DRFC fans now want them to adopt different tactics, make approaches to managers who are already in work, or poach talent from elsewhere. That's not the club we are surely? We have massive respect throughout the game of football, do you really want us to lose all of that so we can have a manager that might bring us success?

That's essentially what most player transfers are though. Players in work, poaching talent off clubs you can outcompete financially. That IS the game (whether we like it or not), and if you don't play the game you are simply going to put yourself at a disadvantage.

It's nice to be respected for the right things but losing respect because you've 'poached' a talented manager is not something we should be intrinsically worried about. As others have highlighted in recent posts, it depends heavily on a case by case basis. If SO'D had left us for a bigger club having gained promotion and establishing us in the championship no one would have begrudged him moving. McCann left after only just starting, and talking up, his project. Its two different scenarios.

I think we disadvantage ourselves if we rule out not targeting managers in work. There definitely are advantages to that type of thing, such as the manager already having a network of players/targets.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 22, 2019, 12:45:44 pm by redarmy82 »
 Thanks for the update SM.
ehilst I know the board will always act in the best interests of the club, I think its only natural people will worry that there is precious little time to waste here.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 22, 2019, 12:49:37 pm by Chris Black come back »
Also, if the outline timetable described above is followed, that gives the new guy a full month before the first game of the season, including a number of pre-season friendlies. Clearly there does need to be some recruitment but also please consider how many clubs lose their managers mid-season and have to appoint someone on a much shorter timescale, with the transfer window closed and without any practice games to get up to speed with his squad. We are actually in quite a privileged position compared to that common situation.

BessieBlue

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 22, 2019, 12:50:29 pm by BessieBlue »
Excellent post SM

I can only see that the DRFC reputation in the footballing world is enhanced by recent events.

Given how the club have conducted their business over the last few years we must be an attractive proposition for potential managers - we've shown loyalty when things have been a bit rocky aka DF and relegation from L1 - and given backing to managers who want to progress in the game - GM of course.  Clearly the intent is to move the club forward.

Everyone is replaceable and GM is no exception - we now have an opportunity to look to the future in a positive way knowing the club are going about their business in a way that many of us want them to - with the aspiration of progressing the footballing side on all fronts.

As a parting shot I hope GM does well at his new club - if he does then it will surely mean the club chose wisely last time out.

Onwards and upwards.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 22, 2019, 12:53:45 pm by silent majority »
I would take it to mean that if a manager expressed an interest in our job we would do the decent thing and negotiate with his club before entering into formal talks. To be fair I get the feeling that’s what’s just happened here too. I’m not sure Hull did the tapping up, I feel it may have come through McCann and his agent. Remarkable really given his words.

To be fair to Hull they made an official approach before entering into formal talks. But something had gone on before that, clearly.

There were certain bits to the Hull thing that didn't quite fit right. When the Hull media started posting, on Wednesday, that GM was interested in the job and that discussions were taking place that wasn't correct. I had spoken to the club because of those same media reports, and nothing official had been received at that point, as I posted on here. So, we can only guess at what had happened prior to that point in time.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 22, 2019, 12:55:24 pm by silent majority »
I appreciate the fact we may be considered a polite club and honorable, these are great values but what i think we are missing is that predatory business methods. Facts are the club is a business, and at the moment we are somewhat dwindling. If we want success we are going to have to take some chances and be more aggressive. I am in no way criticizing the board, we could not ask for more loyal savvy individuals.

I think you're very much mistaken. Dwindling as a club? I'm not sure what you mean by that but the accounts show a completely different picture to that.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 22, 2019, 12:55:54 pm by dickos1 »

That's essentially what most player transfers are though. Players in work, poaching talent off clubs you can outcompete financially. That IS the game (whether we like it or not), and if you don't play the game you are simply going to put yourself at a disadvantage.

It's nice to be respected for the right things but losing respect because you've 'poached' a talented manager is not something we should be intrinsically worried about. As others have highlighted in recent posts, it depends heavily on a case by case basis. If SO'D had left us for a bigger club having gained promotion and establishing us in the championship no one would have begrudged him moving. McCann left after only just starting, and talking up, his project. Its two different scenarios.

I think we disadvantage ourselves if we rule out not targeting managers in work. There definitely are advantages to that type of thing, such as the manager already having a network of players/targets.

And if we hadn’t have headhunted sod we would’ve missed out on the greatest manager in our modern history

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on June 22, 2019, 12:58:57 pm by silent majority »
Thanks SM.. could you give any feedback on the chats you had re Grant and the logic behind his subsequent move?

There's not a lot more to it than what we've all speculated on here. It's ambition from a manager, pure and simple.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 22, 2019, 01:01:15 pm by Alickismyhero »
SM,
I said quite early on that I thought McCann had been tapped up now if we can prove that is the case could we not take legal action against both parties?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on June 22, 2019, 01:04:46 pm by Filo »

There were certain bits to the Hull thing that didn't quite fit right. When the Hull media started posting, on Wednesday, that GM was interested in the job and that discussions were taking place that wasn't correct. I had spoken to the club because of those same media reports, and nothing official had been received at that point, as I posted on here. So, we can only guess at what had happened prior to that point in time.

I get the feeling Hull had sounded out McCan through his agent, we’ll never know for sure, I know it was dreessed up in the media that he was too busy on Tuesdayto take the press call because he was tying up new players, but that does n’t fit what eventually happened regarding the new players that came in this week

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on June 22, 2019, 01:06:10 pm by silent majority »

We, DRFC,  keep a close eye on Managers in work, as well as those that aren't. Between Gavin and myself we'll always exchange opinions on certain individuals when the subject crops up, as do most fans when discussing football in general.

But I always remember Gavin pointing me in the direction of a certain Graham Potter many years ago, long before he'd come to the attention of any UK based media. We're certainly not naive in that regard.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 22, 2019, 01:08:18 pm by silent majority »
SM,
I said quite early on that I thought McCann had been tapped up now if we can prove that is the case could we not take legal action against both parties?

What would that achieve?

Roversfan1

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 22, 2019, 01:08:37 pm by Roversfan1 »

I think you're very much mistaken. Dwindling as a club? I'm not sure what you mean by that but the accounts show a completely different picture to that.

Of course the finances are in a good place, but if we turn this into a numbers game, we may risk being too cautious to the point where we start to lose support, again I'm in no way criticizing the board or being  negative, playing devils advocate.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 22, 2019, 01:12:47 pm by silent majority »

I get the feeling Hull had sounded out McCan through his agent, we’ll never know for sure, I know it was dreessed up in the media that he was too busy on Tuesdayto take the press call because he was tying up new players, but that does n’t fit what eventually happened regarding the new players that came in this week

But that was true, both Wednesday and Tuesday were busy days for Grant as he was finalising the deals he'd put in place.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012