Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 08:38:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Morning everyone, the start of a new era...  (Read 8579 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Morning everyone, the start of a new era...
« Reply #30 on June 22, 2019, 01:13:35 pm by silent majority »
I appreciate the fact we may be considered a polite club and honorable, these are great values but what i think we are missing is that predatory business methods. Facts are the club is a business, and at the moment we are somewhat dwindling. If we want success we are going to have to take some chances and be more aggressive. I am in no way criticizing the board, we could not ask for more loyal savvy individuals.

I think you're very much mistaken. Dwindling as a club? I'm not sure what you mean by that but the accounts show a completely different picture to that.

Of course the finances are in a good place, but if we turn this into a numbers game, we may risk being too cautious to the point where we start to lose support, again I'm in no way criticizing the board or being  negative, playing devils advocate.

Do you mean the football quality is dwindling? Not sure I'd agree with that either.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Michael Gibson

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on June 22, 2019, 01:19:58 pm by Michael Gibson »
Could anyone explain the Gomes contract??? It’s a very strange one in my opinion, he’s only played a handful of games in the last 6 year with various clubs yet hits the jackpot at donny???

Prince_Moncrieffe

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on June 22, 2019, 01:20:25 pm by Prince_Moncrieffe »
Here here. Onwards and upwards.

Stick with the board!

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on June 22, 2019, 01:23:22 pm by Alickismyhero »
SM,
I said quite early on that I thought McCann had been tapped up now if we can prove that is the case could we not take legal action against both parties?

What would that achieve?

I don't know the legal side of tapping up, is it legal?  against League rules?

If it were proven I would have liked Hull to get their hands slapped with a fine and Donny getting a larger amount of compensation!

I know It would be very difficult to prove I am just interested in the area of "Tapping Up" Can it be done with no punishment, surely not!

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on June 22, 2019, 01:26:41 pm by Alickismyhero »
SM,
Just found the answer on google

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapping_up

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on June 22, 2019, 01:30:58 pm by silent majority »
SM,
Just found the answer on google

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapping_up

But that's players, not managers.

My understanding is that if a manager was 'tapped up', and we could prove it, we could report that club. A penalty for that club would be a transfer embargo.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on June 22, 2019, 01:34:34 pm by roversdude »
Martin any idea if we would consider managers who have applied previously
Thanks for posting such a frank honest thread by the way

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on June 22, 2019, 01:35:56 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We know how football works, heads turned. Representatives working for their client etc. Let's not be naive. We too could put the feelers out but I'm afraid nobody will ever know about it... Other than those that matter. As far as we're concerned as as SM says, it'll be done the right way.

We should know given the successful season but failing to achieve promotion would leave us vulnerable however, I think what concerns people is we as a club being regarded as a stepping stone rather than a club where someone will see the job through. Yes, we know there are bigger fish but you would have hoped McCann would see the potential for pitting his wits against the likes of Hull on merit. It's about the clubs stature and having the wherewithal to match the likes of Rotherham and Barnsley etc.

People will wonder whether the board feel hurt by this and will learn by the experience. I know you've partly covered that SM.

This is where people look for the club to be saying "We will continue our quest to become a Championship club and we are determined to find the right man to achieve that.". It's OK making statements on the website or passing the message on via your good self, but people want to hear a passionate voice that reflects the feelings of the fans.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on June 22, 2019, 01:40:44 pm by Alickismyhero »
SM,
I agree with that having read the topic up.

It would have been interesting to ask the Hull news paper and the Hull owners to explain the timing of the comments in the paper before they made the official and correct approach.

It would also show McCann in a different light.

but is it worth the effort? Not really, the show goes on.

Copps the voice of reason.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on June 22, 2019, 01:49:02 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
What an excellent opening post, SM! Many thanks! I just hope that all the conspiracy theorists will now give their keyboards a rest! 🙂

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on June 22, 2019, 01:54:25 pm by SydneyRover »
Thanks SM for the posts, I like the way the club is managed and am impressed with the involvement of the board. I would like to know what more the club could do to improve (rhetorical) we are miles away from the up and downs and insecurities financially and managerially of a decade ago.

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on June 22, 2019, 02:09:17 pm by ian1980 »
Thanks SM and really good OP and sums up my feelings also. How anyone can throw criticism towards the current board is beyond me.

They got it right the last time we needed a new manager and I’m confident they’ll get it right again this time.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on June 22, 2019, 02:14:33 pm by colincramb »
Thanks for the update SM. It’s just one of the many great things about this club; that is the relationship we enjoy with the CEO, owners and players. It doesn’t take place at many clubs, that’s for sure.

Anyway, in regards to GM. Obviously most of us are gutted at his sudden departure and also in shock. Didn’t really see it coming and certainly not to hull but there you go, that’s football.

We move on and we rebuild. It would be nice to have some stability for a few seasons so hopefully the next appointment will commit to that, but we’ll see.

No point being bitter towards GM. If we are honest, most people would leave their jobs for more money to a bigger organisation. I don’t agree with his decision for what it’s worth, I think he’s made a poor choice but time will tell.

Thanks for last season grant, the team was a pleasure to watch and we nearly did it. Best of luck at Hull, I’ve a feeling you might need it.

RTID

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on June 22, 2019, 02:54:09 pm by Spilsby Red »
Great post. I have respect for what he achieved for us last season. My son is now a supporter of the club. I lost some respect with how his last week or so was. In my opinion he has made a mistake going to a club in decline but it is his choice.
I have said previously, players and managers come and go. Our club is here with the supporters and a fantastic board ( some won’t agree).
Let’s move on and support the new manager and players. Let’s take on board what Copps said. There is a man who is a true leader and has rovers blood in him, like us supporters.
Onwards and upwards.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on June 22, 2019, 02:56:26 pm by mushRTID »
Was the compensation significant or a minimal gesture?

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on June 22, 2019, 02:59:40 pm by Spilsby Red »
Does it matter. He has gone. The board wanted him to stay by all accounts.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on June 22, 2019, 03:03:51 pm by grayx »
Was the compensation significant or a minimal gesture?

We’re talking about HULL here. You can bet it will be the absolute minimum.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on June 22, 2019, 03:07:44 pm by mushRTID »
That’s my worry and would be the icing on the cake, getting mugged off on compo as well.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on June 22, 2019, 03:09:58 pm by silent majority »
That’s my worry and would be the icing on the cake, getting mugged off on compo as well.

We didn't.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on June 22, 2019, 03:39:48 pm by Lifelong supporter »
The current Board has only been in existence for two years following the sad passing of Dick Watson, not a decade as the OP implied, and during that time two managers have walked out on the club.
This time could we appoint someone who is ambitious but who will show a bit of loyalty as well?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on June 22, 2019, 03:45:15 pm by Filo »
The current Board has only been in existence for two years following the sad passing of Dick Watson, not a decade as the OP implied, and during that time two managers have walked out on the club.
This time could we appoint someone who is ambitious but who will show a bit of loyalty as well?

Not sure how you can determine who would show loyalty or not

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on June 22, 2019, 03:55:53 pm by roversdude »

The current board is a continuation of the old board
It’s not the boards fault that 2 managers have gone - one who had personal circumstances, the other (although it’s still raw) left to try his hand at a higher level - I guess it shows the last appointment shows we chose a highly ambitious guy

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on June 22, 2019, 04:13:01 pm by Alan Southstand »
Thanks for the clarification of your opening post, SM.

Please don't read anything into some of the comments over the last day or two- it just shows what passion there is for the Club. We're all guilty, at times, in shooting from the hip, and I think us supporters are well within their rights in sounding off after GM's incredible choice.

We continue to watch this space and hope for the best.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on June 22, 2019, 04:20:04 pm by silent majority »

You don't disappoint do you? How is John these days?

The current board is predominately the board that has existed in one format or another for the last 10 years, and it's certainly been the money from the Watson and Bramall families that has created the situation that the football club finds itself in.

And I fail to see the relevance of two managers leaving this club has to do with that. No doubt you're suggesting that the board are not capable of picking a manager you agree with.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on June 22, 2019, 04:25:46 pm by silent majority »
Can I say thank you for all the kind comments.

I must admit that my emotions have been up and down just like everybody else. But what I wanted to do with this post was to try and put across the very positive and determined attitude of the club staff and board that this wouldn't deter them from the job they have and the direction they wish to move in. I hope I've done that.

Many thanks.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on June 22, 2019, 04:38:31 pm by drfchound »
I'm so glad I was travelling on business for most of yesterday, I'm not sure that the meltdown on the forum would have been easy to take if I'd been closer to it.

However, the club were in touch throughout the day informing me of the process and the state of play, for which I was grateful.

I expressed my opinion at length about Grant, and questioned the logic behind his move much the same way you've all done on here. But it was refreshing to hear that the club although disappointed, were not distraught, nor overwhelmed with the task they now find themselves with. In fact they felt the opposite. They see this as an opportunity to drive the club forward again, to re-look at the manager situation and make that constant improvement which has been a feature of this club for some time. We have been inundated with applications for the vacant post already, well before the advert going out. That shows people want to come to us, they're seeking us out, and there are positive reasons for that.

Despite the negativity that some posters on here delight in expressing, there's very little accuracy or logic with some of the points they make. I notice that some want to sack the board for example. This board, which has given us about 10 years of good times, provided the stability and financial strength to survive in times that are not easy for football clubs. This board who are the envy of just about any other football club, this board who chose the recent manager who gave us this last successful season. Yet the logic seems to be that they 'are not football people' and they don't know what they're doing. If this is an example of people who don't know what they're doing then can we have a lot more of this please??

This board played a straight bat to the recent overtures from Hull. They adopted the moral high ground and dealt with the circumstances as anybody would expect them to do. But I see certain DRFC fans now want them to adopt different tactics, make approaches to managers who are already in work, or poach talent from elsewhere. That's not the club we are surely? We have massive respect throughout the game of football, do you really want us to lose all of that so we can have a manager that might bring us success?

This board chose well the last time, they followed their process, they eliminated the managers that didn't fit and picked someone who was underwhelming for the most seasoned DRFC supporters. I trusted them then, and I'll trust them again.

I know people are feeling bitter, but that's not our way is it? I think we should adopt the philosophy shown by Jamie Coppinger in his tweet that said 'To the players and fans of @drfc_official its important we do what we always do,stick together, work hard and prove the doubters wrong...AGAIN!'.

My thoughts entirely.

Yeah, fine words SM and I agree with most of what you have written there but part of me feels that what you have written is very much like a politician might say after losing his seat in a by election, trying to put a positive spin on things.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 07:43:02 pm by drfchound »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on June 22, 2019, 05:12:05 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Being positive is a choice. We could all look for the negative and wallow in self pity but what would be the point in that?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on June 22, 2019, 05:43:18 pm by RoversAlias »
Really, really appreciate this post and subsequent information in this thread from you, SM. This is the perfect example of what the importance of your position is for us fans, who wouldn't know any of this otherwise.

I for one greatly appreciate our board and think they have done all they can here. I do wish the new recruitment process was set to be a little shorter but I understand the need to conduct it properly. Perhaps some transfers already in the works will still continue which would ease our worries greatly. Glenn Middleton for instance would surely be a good signing no matter who comes in now, quality is quality at the end of the day.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on June 22, 2019, 07:20:32 pm by silent majority »
Martin any idea if we would consider managers who have applied previously
Thanks for posting such a frank honest thread by the way

I'm sure we will. Some of them were good candidates and knowing Gavin like I do he'll be on with it!

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on June 22, 2019, 08:31:18 pm by idler »
I'm sure that Gavin and the board will be looking into applicants as soon as cvs arrive.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012