Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 12:57:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Who do you prefer?

Moore
114 (53.5%)
Appleton
55 (25.8%)
Flitcroft
5 (2.3%)
Hudson
8 (3.8%)
A. N. Other
31 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 213

Author Topic: Last minute manager poll  (Read 7322 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Last minute manager poll
« Reply #30 on July 09, 2019, 08:16:47 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Maybe by now the strongest candidate has stood out and we have a new manager bar the shouting.

The rest is how the club manage the announcement. Normally I think the DFP and Radio Sheffield are told the time of the press conference so that's probably the likely source of when we will know.

I'm still edging my bets and think Thursday around 11am will be the official announcement.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 09, 2019, 08:21:03 am by jackthelad »
I think it'll be Thursday too.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on July 09, 2019, 08:27:28 am by Branton Rover »
Because someone once had an association with Barnsley doesn’t make them persona non grata - have you not heard the word rehabilitation - no problem with Barnsley personally it’s the Millers/Iron who are the enemy in my book

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 09, 2019, 08:30:55 am by NickDRFC »
I think Thursday morning is realistic. Job offered later today, considered/negotiated and hopefully accepted tomorrow, announcement Thursday.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on July 09, 2019, 08:41:02 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Indeed realistically could be a bit longer, but no doubt we'd all like it more quickly.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on July 09, 2019, 09:05:27 am by the vicar »
I don't know why people want DM  he players defensive football and an ex player it is heart ruling your head. Do you remember the last time we had ex players manage the club, the Snodins that did not go to well did it. We can't run a club on sentiment

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 09, 2019, 09:15:46 am by ChrisBx »
I don't know why people want DM  he players defensive football and an ex player it is heart ruling your head. Do you remember the last time we had ex players manage the club, the Snodins that did not go to well did it. We can't run a club on sentiment

Didn't Moore leave WBA as the highest scorers in the division? Oddly, their issue was the defence yet people blindly regurgitate comments about overly defensive football.

Even if his football at WBA was defensive, he inherited a squad built largely by Pardew and Pulis which would take a while to re-build.

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on July 09, 2019, 09:35:30 am by anton123 »
GB said the announcement could be later today if all goes to plan   

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on July 09, 2019, 09:38:53 am by Dr Fundlekrotch »

I beg to differ, Vicar. 

The Snodins did really well at what they were brought in for - to galvanise the club, the supporters and the town and get the Club back on its feet.  in their first year, with no pre-season, they had us finish 15th or 16th when all of the predictions were that we were on a downward spiral into the non-league abyss.  And we won a trophy and we even won in the first round of the FA Cup for God knows how long

JR may have divided opinion in recent years but bringing the Snodins in was a masterstroke as his first move

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 09, 2019, 09:46:52 am by the vicar »
No they didn't we almost went down fact, I loved the snodds but we set off OK but it went down the pan a bit after

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on July 09, 2019, 09:51:42 am by idler »
I agree, that appointment united the fan base and gave us the figureheads to regroup around. It was just a shame that it had to end in the way that it did but it was the right fix at the right time. I also think that Ian was never cut out to be a manager and realised that when he failed to turn as around in that second season.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on July 09, 2019, 09:52:05 am by the vicar »

Didn't Moore leave WBA as the highest scorers in the division? Oddly, their issue was the defence yet people blindly regurgitate comments about overly defensive football.

Even if his football at WBA was defensive, he inherited a squad built largely by Pardew and Pulis which would take a while to re-build.
did our board say they want the new manager to adopt attacking and existing football, Well DM is not that manager, as a person he is said to be a lovely guy he may be that but a flamboyant manager he is not.  But if he gets the job I will be right behind him or whoever gets it

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on July 09, 2019, 09:57:57 am by idler »
As stated previously DM was tasked with turning round the form of a team composed of somebody else’s players. He made a decent job of that and almost kept them up. Perhaps given time his team might have been more expansive and flamboyant.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on July 09, 2019, 10:09:13 am by the vicar »
It's not his style mate, defenders usually play defensive football as that is what they know, but there can always be a one off but managers usually do what they know

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on July 09, 2019, 10:22:21 am by IDM »
Managers also have assistants, possibly ex players from a different position..

Just saying..

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on July 09, 2019, 10:42:50 am by the vicar »
Managers also have assistants, possibly ex players from a different position..

Just saying..
And there is the point assistant's are what it says and not managers the manager makes the decisions not the assignment

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on July 09, 2019, 10:44:36 am by IDM »
Yes but a decent manager will listen to his assistant you would think.?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 09, 2019, 10:56:52 am by RoversAlias »
This ex defender equals defensive football notion is baseless. Dickov was a striker and we couldn't score for toffee under him. McCann was a holding midfielder and we played expansive, attractive football. The manager's playing career doesn't influence in that way, it is a team game after all.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 11:15:45 am by RoversAlias »

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on July 09, 2019, 11:02:44 am by Wild Rover »

Dave. Earlier you stated that no ex player had ben a success at DRFC ( or something similar ). Don't forget Dave Penny mate.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on July 09, 2019, 11:13:04 am by the vicar »
Quote from: Wild Roverlink=topic=273013.msg878449#msg878449 date=1562666564

Dave. Earlier you stated that no ex player had ben a success at DRFC ( or something similar ). Don't forget Dave Penny mate.
OK Paul I will give you that one but I don't like ex players as managers not if they are legends as such as if they do a bad job of it there lagends status wi vanish

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on July 09, 2019, 11:30:18 am by drfchound »
Well, it looks as though the majority on here are hoping for Moore.
There will be much disappointment if someone else gets the job.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on July 09, 2019, 11:40:49 am by NickDRFC »
It's not his style mate, defenders usually play defensive football as that is what they know, but there can always be a one off but managers usually do what they know

What a load of rubbish - Mauricio Pochettino was a defender and Pep Guardiola about as defensive a midfielder as they come yet they have no problem getting their teams playing attacking football.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on July 09, 2019, 11:49:36 am by Alan Southstand »
I'd rather believe what a WBA long time supporter tells me about DM, and 'defensive football' was never ever referred to in my conversations with him.

He was described as an inspirational manager and a leader of men and certainly had everyone pulling in the right direction at Albion. He is the 'stand out' candidate as far as I'm concerned and the rest are way behind.

The question is who will get us competing again, against sides who are busying themselves improving on what they had last season? I know who I want and especially when you look at the rest of them on the shortlist.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on July 09, 2019, 11:55:10 am by Dare to dream! »
People who want Moore are thinking with their heart rather than head.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on July 09, 2019, 12:01:48 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Dis.

Luckily our board weren't here when he was so won't give DM the job purely based on sentiment.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 12:13:50 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on July 09, 2019, 12:07:51 pm by Silkscarf »
DM is a keen bible-thumper. This always puts me off people and makes me question whether they can think critically and rationally about other things.

DRFC_TID_93

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on July 09, 2019, 12:13:16 pm by DRFC_TID_93 »

Not necessarily. I don't remember Moore as he was before my time, but he'd be the stand out choice for me. Several of my WBA mates say he united the club, played exciting attacking football and with more time to get his own players in, would have been able to put his on style on the team and challenge even if they hadn't got promotion this year. Out of what's been mentioned, I wouldn't have minded the Motherwell boss, but Moore would be in that top 2, based on results and contacts, not him being an ex player

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on July 09, 2019, 12:32:18 pm by the vicar »
This ex defender equals defensive football notion is baseless. Dickov was a striker and we couldn't score for toffee under him. McCann was a holding midfielder and we played expansive, attractive football. The manager's playing career doesn't influence in that way, it is a team game after all.
I think different but there is where our thoughts are different

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on July 09, 2019, 12:38:36 pm by RoversAlias »
This is true Vicar. Personally I'd be optimistic about Moore, we can grow along with him and hopefully he'd have more loyalty than McCann.

I never saw Moore play for us as he left shortly before I started going, but he's my first choice of the candidates we know.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on July 09, 2019, 02:10:48 pm by MachoMadness »
There's a difference between how you think positionally as a player and how you set whole teams up as a manager. If there isn't, then you probably won't make a very good manager!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012