Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 10:19:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Didn’t take him long  (Read 5424 times)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Didn’t take him long
« on July 31, 2019, 10:25:36 pm by since-1969 »
Maybe the £2m is a “Loan”

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

redarmy82

• Forum Member
Re: Didn’t take him long
« Reply #1 on July 31, 2019, 10:26:05 pm by redarmy82 »
First time I've ever seen him smile.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 31, 2019, 10:29:37 pm by Chris Black come back »
Obviously not had tour round Portsmouth yet!

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 31, 2019, 10:46:54 pm by Draytonian III »
Good luck to him , name the last Rovers striker to score that amount of goals in one season in the 3rd tier

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 31, 2019, 10:56:06 pm by esdailles left foot »
Give over with the marquis love in its sickening. He's f**ked us over. Grant gets dogs abuse and he gets praise.

hifi76

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 31, 2019, 10:56:25 pm by hifi76 »
Has he explained his decision to any Donny fans yet?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 31, 2019, 10:57:19 pm by silent majority »
Give over with the marquis love in its sickening. He's f**ked us over. Grant gets dogs abuse and he gets praise.

For the first time I agree with elf.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 31, 2019, 10:58:28 pm by redarmy82 »

For the first time I agree with elf.

You agree Marquis has f**ked us over? In what way exactly?

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 31, 2019, 11:02:06 pm by pib »
He hasn’t f**ked us over though has he? Players move on. He’s given his all for the club, we got good money for him, and he’s gone to move closer to his family and further his career.

Grant gets stick (not from me btw) because he moved on at a time when he was giving forth plenty about people jumping at the chance to move for more money etc, and the fact that he ruthlessly disassembled the squad we had last season. I thought he was shaping up as a very good manager and wish he hadnt gone. I also wish pillocks would stop sending him snake emojis on Twitter and move on.

So there’s a bit of difference with the two situations, but at the end of the day they’re both human. It’s nothing personal from either of them, and neither have had a bad word to say about the club since moving on.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 31, 2019, 11:02:50 pm by Draytonian III »
How has he f****d us over , he gone and got a better job in his eyes with more money,closer to his wife/partner’s family. I dare say in the 30-ish years since you left school you are not in the same job, if you are not why did leave that job or any jobs since then . To footballers ,football is a job , when will a certain blinkered few on here realise that

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 31, 2019, 11:05:53 pm by Spilsby Red »
Totally agree. John in my eyes is a legend and he has moved on. He puts his family first. Fair play and thank you

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 31, 2019, 11:09:01 pm by esdailles left foot »
What's the point

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 31, 2019, 11:11:11 pm by mrfrostsdad »
And also probably for the first time, I agree with SM. He's gone for more money, nothing else. Fair enough. At least McCann went to a Championship club so was bettering his career. Marquis has gone to another League 1 club (all be it a much bigger one than ours)
Personally, I hope Portsmouth have a shit season and don't get promoted and we do. Then he may wish he'd stayed.
But no he won't, because it's all about the cash

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 31, 2019, 11:12:21 pm by Jonathan »
I think Marquis deserves respect. He’s worked his socks off in his three years here and scored lots of goals. He could’ve run his contract down and left for nothing, he could have kicked up a public fuss to force a move. He hasn’t done either of those things. He leaves with my respect and well wishes.

We need to move on and hopefully we will now strengthen the wider team and squad in the way it desperately needs.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 31, 2019, 11:15:12 pm by since-1969 »
He did brilliantly considering he scored most of his goals in the first half of the season .. 
part timer !

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 31, 2019, 11:15:48 pm by dickos1 »
I don’t begrudge him wanting to leave but I think it is out of order leaving it until this late in the day. If it’s true he’s only announced at this stage that he wanted to go and wouldn't sign a new contract then I think he’s took the piss a little and lead the club down the garden path.

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 31, 2019, 11:16:02 pm by redarmi66 »
He hasn’t f**ked us over though has he? Players move on. He’s given his all for the club, we got good money for him, and he’s gone to move closer to his family and further his career.

Grant gets stick (not from me btw) because he moved on at a time when he was giving forth plenty about people jumping at the chance to move for more money etc, and the fact that he ruthlessly disassembled the squad we had last season. I thought he was shaping up as a very good manager and wish he hadnt gone. I also wish pillocks would stop sending him snake emojis on Twitter and move on.

So there’s a bit of difference with the two situations, but at the end of the day they’re both human. It’s nothing personal from either of them, and neither have had a bad word to say about the club since moving on.
Exactly that!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 31, 2019, 11:16:55 pm by Chris Black come back »
Presume there was some soft agreement that he could leave for a Championship club to further himself. Nobody came in for him for the fee, so we started planning for him to be here next season. Next thing Portsmouth into mix and he now wants to leave for a League One club and just before season starts, so not great for us.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 31, 2019, 11:18:50 pm by Michael Shaw »
John would have been out of work at Rovers in a year's time. Instead he has a 3 year contract near his family, with a club most likely to get promoted. Who wouldn't make the same decision? He didn't do it out of malice for Rovers, nor has he been critical of the club or players. Good luck to him and thanks for the last 3 years here where he was the force that got us back into league one scoring 26 goals.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 31, 2019, 11:18:58 pm by Filo »
I don’t begrudge him wanting to leave but I think it is out of order leaving it until this late in the day. If it’s true he’s only announced at this stage that he wanted to go and wouldn't sign a new contract then I think he’s took the piss a little and lead the club down the garden path.

Strange that he never put in a transfer request and only made his feelings known when the club wanted to offer him a new contract. Would that be connected to some loyalty bonus perhaps?

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 31, 2019, 11:23:15 pm by Michael Shaw »
Pompey offered him a 3 year contract and they could be in the Championship next season. Surely Rovers could have offered a similar deal a month ago if they had equal confidence in him, but chose not to.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on July 31, 2019, 11:23:59 pm by dickos1 »
I think Portsmouth’s interest has been there all summer but he’s been edging his bets all summer and now nothing has materialised he’s decided he would in fact like to go to Portsmouth after saying all summer he didn’t

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 31, 2019, 11:32:25 pm by dknward2 »
He was waiting for a championship club but no one took a gamble on him so as soon as Pompey made an offer he took it end of story I would say.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 31, 2019, 11:35:58 pm by pib »
I think Portsmouth’s interest has been there all summer but he’s been edging his bets all summer and now nothing has materialised he’s decided he would in fact like to go to Portsmouth after saying all summer he didn’t

With talk of interest from Charlton and Luton you can understand why. More money, a move down south AND Championship football would’ve been his preference I’m sure.

The trouble with all this is that we view things with a totally different lens to players and managers. They make their decisions based on what is best for them and their families. Some players conduct themselves better than others in the process, but by and large that is what their decision making process is based on. Very occasionally loyalty comes into it but for the most part it’s playing at a higher level, earning more money, having more security, or doing what suits them and their family/lifestyle.

Now this is no slight on Copps because we all revere him and are grateful for his loyalty to the club, but if, for example, Middlesbrough had come in for him in his prime, do we think he’d have stayed? I don’t think so. And he wouldn’t have been a lesser person for it.

The fact is, we as supporters have loyalty only to our club and that’s it, so we view these things mainly with emotion rather than people making career decisions. That’s why it’s different to any other industry.. So yes it’s frustrating and it pisses us off when people move on, but for footballers and managers, they in most cases don’t want to annoy people with their career moves, but sadly they have to accept it as part of the territory because of the way fans are emotionally invested in them.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 31, 2019, 11:37:12 pm by since-1969 »
Pompey offered him a 3 year contract and they could be in the Championship next season. Surely Rovers could have offered a similar deal a month ago if they had equal confidence in him, but chose not to.
The board would sooner pretend they have a five year plan and hope we didn’t hear them say it 10years ago .

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on July 31, 2019, 11:37:33 pm by silent majority »

It's not us. We're not the issue here.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 31, 2019, 11:44:29 pm by no eyed deer »

Did you offer a deal he couldn't refuse?

The Mighty Brian Rowe

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 31, 2019, 11:45:25 pm by The Mighty Brian Rowe »
He'll get a good round of applause from me next time he rocks up at the KM for all his goals and commitment to the cause.

Once the game kicks off, he should get dogs abuse and I personally hope he barely gets a kick.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on July 31, 2019, 11:45:51 pm by silent majority »

Yep, that's the way to go, for sure.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 31, 2019, 11:50:27 pm by no eyed deer »

What is the issue then ?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012