Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 07:52:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Whiteman and Sheaf  (Read 4598 times)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
Whiteman and Sheaf
« on August 03, 2019, 05:49:58 pm by mushRTID »
At half time i wondered how they would ever work together. Too close to each other, looked too similar, getting in each other’s way. Far too deep.

At full time I’m convinced they can boss this league. Great second half from them, both outstanding footballers.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Smithers-Jones

• Forum Member
Re: Whiteman and Sheaf
« Reply #1 on August 03, 2019, 05:58:03 pm by Smithers-Jones »
I totally agree with you. I came away thinking how composed on the ball they both looked today, especially in the 2nd half and how they got us moving as a team. I think we could see these two develop a good understanding, very quickly. Sheaf can certainly see a pass and I think a bit a pace running on to it up front could really open teams up. 

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 03, 2019, 06:05:25 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Do we need to play both of them though? I guess whiteman got forward more second half and could have done better with his chance later.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 03, 2019, 06:07:55 pm by sha66y »
Damn...was gonna ruminate on that very issue....
I think they played too close to the centre backs for the first half, and didn’t link the attacking midfielders very well.....second half was near to perfection and will only get better...that Sheaf Guy is so composed I nearly threw him a cigar....
The centre backs were attacking the same balls in the first half, caused mainly by Baptist’s, but that understanding worked itself out too..

May was the pick of the attacking midfielders with Copps pretty much targeted throughout....Gomez just needs a bit of confidence and to understand he can make them runs if he wants....

Sadlier can score, but as a lone striker ...probably not as effective, however working off a big physical partner he may get a boat load....
Wing backs both grew into their roles, James solid and steady, Halliday a bit nervy first half ( had a trickster to Mark) but grew some nads in the second half and was again very solid....

Guy from Wolves will be a right handful....ala Wilkes...just give him time

Lawlor solid and dependable.....

Ref was very lenient but tried to keep the niggles under control....

That’s pretty much what I watched today....oh and our second half performance was much much better

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 03, 2019, 06:17:40 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I liked how when we passed it around at the back most of the time we did actually play through midfield rather than a few sideways passes and go long like we would have a few years ago. These two should be able to control most games imo

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 03, 2019, 06:20:29 pm by adamtherover »
BW was quality 2nd half, he played further forward, in a more Herbie kane role and dominated the ball...  very impressive..  deserved that goal at the end.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 03, 2019, 06:46:36 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
No question that both should be on the pitch. When they get a better understanding going and trust, they are both capable of breaking the lines and playing clever balls. Both are assuringly safe in possession and can break things up. I'm sure there's more to come from them!

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 03, 2019, 06:51:38 pm by Dare to dream! »
Stock and Welllens 2.0

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 03, 2019, 06:56:11 pm by esdailles left foot »
Stock and Welllens 2.0

And they say I say stupid things

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 03, 2019, 06:58:13 pm by Campsall rover »
Stock and Welllens 2.0
If they turn out to be as good a partnership as those 2 then we have a special pair.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 03, 2019, 08:14:20 pm by Dare to dream! »
I may be getting ahead of myself slightly but second half they were class.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 03, 2019, 08:27:45 pm by drfchound »
Sheaf caught caught with the ball a couple of times early on and lost possession but quickly learned that he hadn’t got as much time as he thought he might get.
After that he grew in confidence and looks like he will do well for us.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 03, 2019, 08:55:02 pm by Retdon1 »
First half both were playing 2 deep and didn’t move the ball quick enough for me, I think Moore addressed this at half time and 2nd half both played well especially whiteman who controlled the game. It was just a shame his chance at the end was on his left foot

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 04, 2019, 12:27:24 am by ian1980 »

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 04, 2019, 12:33:24 am by NewDonny »
Sheaf caught caught with the ball a couple of times early on and lost possession but quickly learned that he hadn’t got as much time as he thought he might get.

What are you on about man, every player got caught on the ball at leat once or twice, its the first game of the season, I would be surprised if they hadn't.

Sheaf is quality and will be another excellent players for us.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 04, 2019, 07:49:14 am by sha66y »
If they can intermittently switch from defence to attach like they did in the second half, I see whichever strikers we use getting a lot of opportunities...

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 04, 2019, 08:32:29 am by Lesonthewest »
Whiteman was the best player on the pitch by a country mile, head & shoulders above anyone. Sheaf got better as the game went on & we could have some partnership there, one criticism is he needs to be a quicker on the ball, but I'm sure that will come as he gets used to this league.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 04, 2019, 08:58:32 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Same could be said for a few debutant yesterday who were making the step up. We do things a bit quicker here in League One. I'm sure they'll get used to it very quickly.

Second half was encouraging!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 07, 2019, 08:40:29 pm by drfchound »

What are you on about man, every player got caught on the ball at leat once or twice, its the first game of the season, I would be surprised if they hadn't.

Sheaf is quality and will be another excellent players for us.

What am I on about?
Didn’t I explain it clearly enough.
He got caught in possession a couple of times in dangerous places by not moving the ball quickly enough.
I am not the only person on the thread to say the same either.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 07, 2019, 08:55:05 pm by steve@dcfd »
Sheaf is learning the pace and closing down in league 1. He will learn, he should improve he needs to get more speed into his game. But last season he was in league 2 on loan and played CH so his game will improve but he’s not an Herbie Kane so we can’t compare yet.

It took Whiteman a season to show his best, although he was played out of position some games.  I believe these two together will improve. Let’s have four creative goal scorers in front of them and we should the team go from strength to strength.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 09:01:31 pm by steve@dcfd »

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 07, 2019, 08:57:00 pm by NewDonny »
Sheaf is learning the pace and closing down in league 1. He will learn, he should improve he needs to get more speed into his game. But last season he was in league 2 on loan and played CH so his game will improve but he’s not an Herbie Kane so we can’t compare yet.

No he's better than Herbie Kane.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 07, 2019, 09:02:37 pm by steve@dcfd »

Not yet but he could get there.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 07, 2019, 09:20:01 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
When Herbie first came, he was more reserved and disciplined, showing fleeting glimpses of his skill and impudence. A few games in and McCann gave him license to express himself more and he then had a purple patch which included the goals at Chorley, a rasper at home and the great header at Barnsley on top of a brilliant display.

There's no reason Sheaf can't be as effective, without being a carbon copy of Herbie, if he gets the same green light from DM. It will take a few games to find his feet  but he couldn't have a better player alongside him to build that confidence.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 07, 2019, 09:36:06 pm by godlike1 »
Whats his contract situation at arsenal? They are clearly not interested in giving English youth a chance so if he does well maybe we can get home for a snip?

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 07, 2019, 09:39:13 pm by Retdon1 »

That’s a big call after one game. Kane was class. I m surprised he’s not gone to a championship club yet. I wonder what he will do next season if he doesn’t manage to sort a loan deal out by tea time tomorrow

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 07, 2019, 09:41:46 pm by jackthelad »

Massive call that after one game. Herbie was fantastic.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 07, 2019, 10:01:46 pm by steve@dcfd »
Whats his contract situation at arsenal? They are clearly not interested in giving English youth a chance so if he does well maybe we can get home for a snip?
Yes if he shows his worth then buy him at the January window give him a 3 year contract and we have another player and if we do get to the Championship we will have two god midfield players. Or at least he will be saleable.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 07, 2019, 10:21:33 pm by since-1969 »
At half time i wondered how they would ever work together. Too close to each other, looked too similar, getting in each other’s way. Far too deep.

At full time I’m convinced they can boss this league. Great second half from them, both outstanding footballers.
WHO Sheif ? He kept following over his own feet . His passes went too long and out of play EVERY time he made one  and was caught out of position countless times  . He looked clumsy and trying too hard to get involved Yes I watched the game and the extended highlights just in case I couldn't  believe what I was watching . In a nutshell very poor home debut . 

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on August 07, 2019, 10:23:26 pm by dickos1 »
One game in, its a tad overboard to declare he’s better than Kane

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 07, 2019, 10:31:04 pm by Dare to dream! »

WHO Sheif ? He kept following over his own feet . His passes went too long and out of play EVERY time he made one  and was caught out of position countless times  . He looked clumsy and trying too hard to get involved Yes I watched the game and the extended highlights just in case I couldn't  believe what I was watching . In a nutshell very poor home debut . 

You must have got Sheaf and Gomes mixed up...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012