Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 05:42:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sheffield Utd blaaaarrrgggghhhhhh  (Read 4526 times)

sha66y

• Forum Member
Sheffield Utd blaaaarrrgggghhhhhh
« on August 09, 2019, 07:08:07 pm by sha66y »
It appears that they have spent over 30 Million quid on transfers and are the bookies favourites for relegation..????

Who wants to Follow that white rabbit ......?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
Re: Sheffield Utd blaaaarrrgggghhhhhh
« Reply #1 on August 09, 2019, 07:09:28 pm by Dare to dream! »
I think they will do well, I’ll be cheering them on this season. Good to see a South Yorkshire team in the prem!

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 09, 2019, 07:33:39 pm by grayx »
I think they will do well, I’ll be cheering them on this season. Good to see a South Yorkshire team in the prem!
Same here.  I think theyve spent about right, considering the revenue they get from being in the premiership.
I fancy them to surprise quite a few and IF they were to be relegated theyd have a cracking championship side to mount another challenge.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 09, 2019, 07:36:22 pm by Nudga »
I'll be cheering them on too. A lot of my mates are Leeds fans and they take the piss with their Billy big b*llocks talk, but my blades friends are always interested in our results and are quite knowledgeable about us too.

One messaged me with this 5 minutes ago.
Cheers matey,think you have got a right manager love him think you will do well

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 09, 2019, 07:36:55 pm by dickos1 »
It appears that they have spent over 30 Million quid on transfers and are the bookies favourites for relegation..????

All new money though that they’ve only got because they’re in the premier league

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 09, 2019, 07:41:15 pm by since-1969 »

Expensive Taxi 🚖 

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 09, 2019, 07:55:25 pm by drfcsteve »
One of their new signings, McBurnie? Has just been on Look North admitting Sheff U have paid "Ridiculous" money for him, apparently transfer fee could rise to £20m!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 09, 2019, 07:59:18 pm by DonnyOsmond »
One of their new signings, McBurnie? Has just been on Look North admitting Sheff U have paid "Ridiculous" money for him, apparently transfer fee could rise to £20m!

In a time where Maguire is worth £80m, sounds fair enough.

besty

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 09, 2019, 07:59:56 pm by besty »
See Duffy got shipped out

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 09, 2019, 08:18:54 pm by Geoff Blakesley »
Wishing Sheff Utd all the best this season. Stay up then push on !

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 09, 2019, 08:23:14 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

£30 mill is easily covered by £46.2 mill parachute payments - and that's if they're relegated. And that's also without the £43 mill+ TV payment.

There's some on here who, if Rovers managed to get to the PL, seemingly wouldn't be happy unless we splurged the lot in five minutes.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 09, 2019, 08:38:12 pm by rtid88 »
I think Wilder is a cracking manager and I think there are teams a lot worse then them in the PL... Norwich, Brighton, Newcastle I fully expect to be below them this season...

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 09, 2019, 08:42:28 pm by dknward2 »
If they stay up 30 million will be pocket change.

Haxey-Hood-DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 09, 2019, 08:50:35 pm by Haxey-Hood-DRFC »
I wish them all the best. Of all the teams/ fans around us, they're the ones I have the most affinity with. Unless they're in the same league as us, I'm more than happy to cheer them on as Yorkshire's Premier League team. See they flew from Donny airport down to Bournemouth today, so there's another link. For me, however, one true love.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 09, 2019, 09:01:53 pm by scawsby steve »
I think Wilder is a cracking manager and I think there are teams a lot worse then them in the PL... Norwich, Brighton, Newcastle I fully expect to be below them this season...

You could be right about Norwich mate; they're getting a right thumping at the moment.

Daisy

« Reply #15 on August 09, 2019, 09:27:54 pm by Daisy »
£30 mill is nothing in the premier league, most clubs pay more than that on a single player!

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 09, 2019, 10:19:01 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
I think they'll stop up.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 09, 2019, 10:37:08 pm by Sprotyrover »
Has te financial chaos been sorted out in the High. court yet?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 10, 2019, 07:16:39 am by Donnywolf »

£30 mill is easily covered by £46.2 mill parachute payments - and that's if they're relegated. And that's also without the £43 mill+ TV payment.

There's some on here who, if Rovers managed to get to the PL, seemingly wouldn't be happy unless we splurged the lot in the first five minutes.

... AGREED  :that:

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 10, 2019, 07:34:32 am by sha66y »
This post was absolutely loaded with irony, !!
Just the figure of 30 million didn’t even make any of you flinch, ..even considered to be “ just pocket change” ..
This is why football is failing so many fans nowadays, ...you have become so conditioned to these ridiculous values for mediocrity,

And the point that 30 million would go a long way to saving lower league clubs, got lost too, ....
Never mind being attributed to a bookies failure...

You lot are the reason that football is a cesspit, you condone these crazy spending sprees, and actually rationalise them

No wonder so many on here want our club to be going over the high bar, ....they clearly have no sense of value, ..........

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 10, 2019, 07:40:49 am by Nudga »
A bit unfair on those of us who don't expect to be spending loads of money.
By comparison, we don't flinch at spending £2 on a bag chips when in 1994 it would have cost 50p.

However, 80m for Maguire and 40m for Iwobi does leave me cold.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 10, 2019, 08:01:21 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, I wish them all the best too. I think they'll stay up. We'll they better had as I've got a double on with my Blades supporting mate. Rovers for promotion too!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 10, 2019, 08:36:57 am by DonnyOsmond »
It doesn't make me flinch as there's nothing we can do about it, we also have benefitted recently from it dripping down the leagues, 5/10 years ago we would have got a tenth of what we got for Marquis and that's why we need to pack our team full of sellable assets as we'd profit loads from it. It's very crap some clubs go bust for about 10 grand when some players earn 400k a week, but like I said there's not much we can do about that, that's all on the FA, EFL, Premier League, etc. This doesn't mean for a second I want our club to spend money it doesn't have, just profit off the ridiculous sums flying around.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 10, 2019, 08:40:49 am by sha66y »
At some point one of our more balanced “ feet on the ground” posters might say

“ why would any team spend that much money if it doesn’t guarantee not being relegated”.....madness I tell ya, Madness! Lol

The game has got to the point that nothing financial makes any sense, ...
and fans expectations become unrealistic,
These are indeed stern times for lower league clubs, except Doncaster of course..we have an enviable set up that doesn’t need eroding by over ambitious aspirations..

Glad I got that off my chest....and I do flinch at £2 for a bag of chips, good job it’s a big enough portion to share....lol

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 10, 2019, 08:55:38 am by Michael Shaw »
Good luck to the Blades. It's great to have a successful local team. They haven't even played a game yet so why worry about the bookies, who also say that Rovers will only be mid-table, so what's the point of Darren Moore building a team when the season is over already according to them.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 10, 2019, 09:05:45 am by Michael Shaw »
Unfortunately, the English Premier League has to compete with the rest of the world for top players, so we have to spend similar amounts. It's a global market up there.
It would be nice if Sky and FA money was filtered more down the leagues but then our Premier clubs would not be so successful (especially in Europe).
That's the way of the world and it's not worth getting het up about things you can't change.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 10, 2019, 09:13:12 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
My mate was saying they've spent £5m on bringing Bramall Lane up to Premier League standard. Without any major building work, that's mind boggling too!

Barnie41

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 10, 2019, 09:17:39 am by Barnie41 »

Morning all!

I will, for one. It's the dream everyone's chasing isn't it? Promotion, a decent cup run, Premier league. Isn't that what it's all about?
Think we've done just over 40 million, which is double what our doom mongers suggested Chris would get to play with.
Honestly, I've never felt as comfortable as I do now. Wilder and Knill have turned the club on its head from where we were 4 years ago. Its ridiculous, amazing and incredible all wrapped up in one.
30 or 40 million doesn't get near what Villa have spent or the supposed financial potential of Newcastle and a few others that we are fighting with to stay in the division. We've spent wisely and well with a view to either surviving or getting ready to go again, if we drop.
Honestly, I start this season hoping to stay up but knowing that a relegation wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I saw us drop to Division 4. This is easy to bear after that.
We'll get some proper beatings, but surprise a few too.
Its just our next mile on the lifetime journey as a supporter.
Always looking out for Rovers - you've a cracking manager there, and hope your season goes well.
Its dream time for us. White rabbits, minor miracles, death or glory.
We're about to find out that it's football, but not as we know it.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 10, 2019, 09:43:12 am by pib »
Hope they do well, and it would be nice to see Sharp get a chance to play and knock a few goals in.

People are slating their transfer business but it’s never all about that. Cardiff got a lot closer to staying up than Fulham last season which few would have predicted with the players Fulham brought in. I think Wilder is a canny bloke and could be the difference for them.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 10, 2019, 09:51:37 am by colincramb »
It’s not just the transfer fees that put clubs in trouble though is it? People saying ‘well at least they will get parachute payments etc, so it’s fine...’ what about the players wages and contracts? They don’t suddenly go when you are relegated. It’s fine if you go back up again, but the problems start when you don’t. You really have to be careful and ensure that you have a few sellable assets in case the worst takes place.

There’s plenty of examples when it’s all gone wrong...

Anyway, good luck to the blades. I hope they prove the pundits wrong.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012