Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 06:27:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Calling no confidence in the government  (Read 4375 times)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
Calling no confidence in the government
« on August 15, 2019, 08:14:10 am by bobjimwilly »
So labour wants to form a temporary alternative government, but the lib dems have said they'll do anything to prevent no deal APART FROM  working with Corbyn.

My question is: how can they form a coalition with the Tories but not Labour?
Which of Corbyns policies are they so against?

Am I missing the key thing that makes him the anti-christ?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

tommy toes

• Forum Member
Re: Calling no confidence in the government
« Reply #1 on August 15, 2019, 08:24:08 am by tommy toes »
Nothing wrong with his domestic policies.
It's his perceived support for terrorist organisations like Hamas and the foolish statements he makes about things like the Salisbury attacks; and his failure to deal with anti sematism.
(Which mainly isn't anti sematism, more anti Israeli government which had spilled over into something more sinister)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 15, 2019, 08:40:32 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
So labour wants to form a temporary alternative government, but the lib dems have said they'll do anything to prevent no deal APART FROM  working with Corbyn.

As it stands they are going to make a huge amount of gains from labour, particularly in London.  Why would they work with him as it will cost them and they've had that lesson already?

Every single one of them is self and party first, agenda second - except ironcially probably Theresa May.

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 15, 2019, 08:47:09 am by Hounslowrover »
BFYP, the irony is that Theresa May did put party first, she wasn't interested in a cross party agreement. Corbyn would have supported a Brexit deal like a Norway style.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 15, 2019, 08:59:48 am by SydneyRover »
BFYP, the irony is that Theresa May did put party first, she wasn't interested in a cross party agreement. Corbyn would have supported a Brexit deal like a Norway style.
Yep when did May want to talk to any other party? only right at the end in desperation but even then she went in with red-lines which made her efforts disingenuous.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 15, 2019, 09:05:23 am by bobjimwilly »
Surely the lib dems could swallow their pride for a few month until the general election, especially if they are confident they will take enough seats to be the majority in a coalition government?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 15, 2019, 09:08:58 am by SydneyRover »
Surely the lib dems could swallow their pride for a few month until the general election, especially if they are confident they will take enough seats to be the majority in a coalition government?
You'd think so but maybe they see one of their own in the big job?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 15, 2019, 09:29:13 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

But I suspect they are not, if Labour sieze that power back they aren't confident they'll take those seats are they?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 15, 2019, 09:50:48 am by Glyn_Wigley »

No party has to go into coalition with Labour at all. They only have to vote with them to achieve what they want regarding Brexit.

EDIT: Just watching Swinson on TV at the moment - she is willing to support someone respected by all sides of the House (Ken Clarke or Harriet Harman, for example), who has no ambition to be PM long-term.

So it's not about his politics per se, but because she's concerned that once he's PM, even if only short-term, it will give him more gravitas in an election than he deserves and will therefore benefit him electorally at the expense of the LibDems.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 09:57:58 am by Glyn_Wigley »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 15, 2019, 10:19:20 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Glyn

That's exactly what it is.

Both Lab and LDs are playing this for party advantage.

Problem is, if we're going to stop No Deal, one side now has to back down and will consequently look weak.

Once more, we're looking for strategic statesmen and we've got tactical duckers and divers.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 15, 2019, 12:13:54 pm by SydneyRover »
 boris said he'd unite the country, well it looks like he's doing it, it's uniting against him!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 15, 2019, 01:01:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Positive noises from everyone bar the LD leadership though. And some senior LD folks are telling them to be sensible. Maybe this is the way out. Although it still needs 12-15 Tories which may be the sticking point.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 15, 2019, 01:15:22 pm by SydneyRover »
Yep, this is a really positive turn, early days but positive.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 15, 2019, 02:28:17 pm by Axholme Lion »
There are no depths which the anti democratic forces will not sink to get their own way and override the referendum result. The longer this goes on, the more I suspect there will be no Brexit at all as the powers of darkness will use every trick in the book to keep their snouts in the EU trough at the expense of normal folk.
There is no point in voting in any election from now on, as it seems that MPs are happy to ignore the wishes of their constituents and do their own thing.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 15, 2019, 02:33:20 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Positive noises from everyone bar the LD leadership though. And some senior LD folks are telling them to be sensible. Maybe this is the way out. Although it still needs 12-15 Tories which may be the sticking point.

Exactly. Andrew Burt was on the news this morning. Although he's a leaver he will vote against a No Deal. But he won't if it means Corbyn as PM. These are the MPs that you need to woo to stop No Deal, so let's see just how much compromising Corbyn is really prepared to do to stop No Deal.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 15, 2019, 02:34:11 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
There are no depths which the anti democratic forces will not sink to get their own way and override the referendum result. The longer this goes on, the more I suspect there will be no Brexit at all as the powers of darkness will use every trick in the book to keep their snouts in the EU trough at the expense of normal folk.
There is no point in voting in any election from now on, as it seems that MPs are happy to ignore the wishes of their constituents and do their own thing.

Teresa May happily ignored the wishes of her constituents for three years by trying to make Brexit happen. I don't recall you ever moaning about that being undemocratic.

PS MPs are elected to do their own thing. That's how British democracy has worked since the Middle Ages.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 02:38:46 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 15, 2019, 02:41:34 pm by Axholme Lion »

Teresa May happily ignored the wishes of her constituents for three years by trying to make Brexit happen. I don't recall you ever moaning about that being undemocratic.

PS MPs are elected to do their own thing. That's how British democracy has worked since the Middle Ages.

I voted for mine because he supported Brexit. What's the point of voting for someone who is going to do the opposite of what you elected them to do? The tories should give the elbow to any MPs trying to block Brexit.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 15, 2019, 03:15:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Anti-democratic forces...

...or, elected MPs as the rest of us call them.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 15, 2019, 03:43:44 pm by Axholme Lion »
Anti-democratic forces...

...or, elected MPs as the rest of us call them.

Ignoring the result of the referendum. Pigs with their snouts in the trough.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 15, 2019, 03:55:09 pm by Donnywolf »

I hope you are right on the not leaving front

I know I have said this (perhaps ONLY this) on here before but the electorate voted narrowly to leave and thats fine.

However in 75 when the vote to remain was 66 to 34 (ten times the 2016 majority) it was those same MPs (or your powers of darkness) that would not let that result "stick" and they have tried every trick in the book to get another crack at getting us out

It split their Party (mainly Tories) and when they got to this point it has now split the electorate from top to bottom. I agree (again) that a lot of things have changed since 75 (lost of the people on here have probably been born since then lol) and I honestly dont know the answer

One answer would have been for Cameron NOT to give in to their wishes but if he had to he should have said " we need a result of at least 60% Leave for any changes to be promoted"

Second answer is to have some king of PR and then maybe - just maybe - we would not have got into this state in the first place

My opinion could be a heap of s**t of course but it is nothing compared to the hourly daily and weekly doses of s**t that I have to endure on Telly and elsewhere re f*****g b****t.

I am heartily sick of it and there is no escape

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 15, 2019, 04:09:16 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

I voted for mine because he supported Brexit. What's the point of voting for someone who is going to do the opposite of what you elected them to do? The tories should give the elbow to any MPs trying to block Brexit.

MPs are elected to represent everyone in their constituency. Not just those who voted for them.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 15, 2019, 04:14:55 pm by Axholme Lion »
So it's ok for them to go against the majority view to suit their own ends?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 15, 2019, 04:19:29 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
So it's ok for them to go against the majority view to suit their own ends?

Yes, they are elected to use their own judgenent on behalf of their constituents. Including those that didn't vote for them. That's what a representative democracy is and has been for centuries in Britain. If you don't like it how things are done in Britain perhaps you'd like to follow the advice of the EDL and move to a country whose system you do like?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 04:21:36 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 15, 2019, 05:06:06 pm by bpoolrover »
Perhaps you could follow Glynn the country would be a far happier place without people like you

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 15, 2019, 05:08:31 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Perhaps you could follow Glynn the country would be a far happier place without people like you

What, people who know how democracy works in this country? I happen to like how democracy works in this country, thank you, so I don't need to move. I've never even been abroad for a holiday.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 15, 2019, 05:12:04 pm by wilts rover »
Huge tactical mistake by Swinton here that I am sure wont be forgotten in any election campaign (as I mentioned on another thread). SNP, Plaid and Dominic Grieve have all said they want to talk to Labour about the plan - but Swinton wont.

Have a guess which far-left, marxist supporter did say this about Corbyn's offer tho (not much of a challenge as it tells you in the link)

“I certainly take the view that a short-term Jeremy Corbyn government is less damaging than the generational damage that would be caused by a no-deal Brexit.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/guto-bebb-corbyn-pm-government-block-no-deal-brexit-boris-a9061261.html

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 15, 2019, 05:18:40 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Huge tactical mistake by Swinton here that I am sure wont be forgotten in any election campaign (as I mentioned on another thread). SNP, Plaid and Dominic Grieve have all said they want to talk to Labour about the plan - but Swinton wont.

Have a guess which far-left, marxist supporter did say this about Corbyn's offer tho (not much of a challenge as it tells you in the link)

“I certainly take the view that a short-term Jeremy Corbyn government is less damaging than the generational damage that would be caused by a no-deal Brexit.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/guto-bebb-corbyn-pm-government-block-no-deal-brexit-boris-a9061261.html

When did Swinson say she won't talk to Labour? Today she said she'd talk to anyone about stopping No Deal but won't countenance Corbyn as PM.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 15, 2019, 05:49:20 pm by scawsby steve »

When did Swinson say she won't talk to Labour? Today she said she'd talk to anyone about stopping No Deal but won't countenance Corbyn as PM.

The Lib Dems are the most opportunistic, untrustworthy, undemocratic party in politics. You Remainers should be worried, because if any party's going to f*ck it up for you it's them.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on August 15, 2019, 05:56:21 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Not while Boris lives and breathes they ain't.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 15, 2019, 06:00:52 pm by scawsby steve »
Not while Boris lives and breathes they ain't.

What? If he offers them jobs they'll get into bed with him.

It's not as if they haven't got form for this kind of thing.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012