Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 10:40:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The points from the Bolton game  (Read 44565 times)

OneandOnly

• Forum Member
Re: The points from the Bolton game
« Reply #120 on August 30, 2019, 06:40:27 pm by OneandOnly »

I see you haven’t quoted Wimbledon’s average age, would that be because it’s lower than Bolton’s was?
I think so

I wasn't aware Wimbledon also wanted a free 3 points, so hadn't quoted their ages.

However, on the same day we plattyed Tranmere, and your oaps played Fleetwood:

bwfc v tranmere - starting XI - avg 21.18 - 5 @ 19 or under. match squad avg 19.55 ( 12 @ 19 or under)
Doncaster v fleetwood (same day) - Starting XI - avg 24.5 - 11 @ 20 or older) - match squad Avg 24.5 (18 @ 20 or over)
Wimbledon v Accrington  - Starting XI - avg 23.27 - (9 @ 20 or older) - match squad Avg 23.27 (15 @ 20 or older)

So just the (almost) 4 years older than ours then.

Once again, not to defend anything, just correcting someones incorrect facts.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on August 30, 2019, 06:45:47 pm by RedJ »
You're not trying to defend anything? so what's your point then, if not to justify the cancellation of the fixture by one party?

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on August 30, 2019, 07:05:46 pm by redarmy82 »

I see you haven’t quoted Wimbledon’s average age, would that be because it’s lower than Bolton’s was?
I think so

I wasn't aware Wimbledon also wanted a free 3 points, so hadn't quoted their ages.

However, on the same day we plattyed Tranmere, and your oaps played Fleetwood:

bwfc v tranmere - starting XI - avg 21.18 - 5 @ 19 or under. match squad avg 19.55 ( 12 @ 19 or under)
Doncaster v fleetwood (same day) - Starting XI - avg 24.5 - 11 @ 20 or older) - match squad Avg 24.5 (18 @ 20 or over)
Wimbledon v Accrington  - Starting XI - avg 23.27 - (9 @ 20 or older) - match squad Avg 23.27 (15 @ 20 or older)

So just the (almost) 4 years older than ours then.

Once again, not to defend anything, just correcting someones incorrect facts.

Bore off you pleb.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on August 30, 2019, 07:08:42 pm by IDM »
No need for that.. challenge the post by all means, but we can do better than that.?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on August 30, 2019, 07:09:16 pm by drfchound »
Bolton fan in peace, it wasn't the club that cancelled the game, it was the admins, they rightly thought that a group of 16 and 17 year olds could not possibly get through 180 minutes of football against bigger and more professional clubs, now we've averted the crisis no more need for postponements, and how you come to the conclusion you deserve the 3 points and a 5-0 win is beyond the most sane persons mind.

Over half the team that played Tranmere were 20 years old and over
I think that pretty much blows out the water any pretence that the match was cancelled to save the legs of youngsters. Take Copps out of the team and our average age would not have been much higher.

Consider that 24.5 is considered young for a squad, then think about one averaging 5 years younger.

That. Is. Not. The. Point..

It is the unilateral refusal to play without consent that is the issue.. it couldn’t be put much simpler, really..

misdirection. nice.
Someone said that your team was not much older. I pointed out that this was wrong. You have another pop about something different. I was offering no opinion of the rights or wrongs. But as you obviously thought i did ....

What more do you want ?

The League, quite rightly, will not award you (or anyone else) 3 points for a game that can still be played.
The League, quite rightly, will deduct points from the team that deserves points to be deducted.

Its. That. Simple.

There really seems to be a feeling that we called the game off to benefit somehow points wise. Even if we win the replayed game (for instance) 77-0 we woyld be worse off than if we had played and lost by a cricket score. It really is that simple. You were the unfortunate team that it immediately affected, but that, in no shape or form, entitles you to claim the points by default, because football doesn't work like that. Wherever, and whenever possible, the game gets played. Even if thats not on the original date.

See the last time a team called a game off, and it was possible to be replayed, points deduction for Middlesboro, replayed later in the season.

There was nothing personal in the decision, I apologise on behalf of the administrators to anyone who has taken it personally (and there appears to be many).

Once again, I wish you luck for the remainder of the season.

“Wherever and whenever possible, the game gets played”.

Your own words.

That is how football works.

It was possible to play the game but Bolton chose not to play and chose not to tell us or the EFL.

OneandOnly

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on August 30, 2019, 07:17:31 pm by OneandOnly »
You're not trying to defend anything? so what's your point then, if not to justify the cancellation of the fixture by one party?

No.
Because I have already said we were wrong. And should be punished. And we can't be defended. And is unjustifyable. (is that even the right word?)
But I also say that no team should be given 3 points, when the match is still able to be played.
That's an opinion. And people are allowed to be wrong with opinions. We both have differing opinions, both of us are right to have those opinions.

However when people state facts, that are incorrect, then one should be able to correct those statements, without others saying they then have an hidden agenda.
Because on the internet, people believe statements such as 'Wimbledon have a younger team' (Someone even liked the comment). It then becomes a de-facto truth, despite it being complete gibberish, and people will then use it to defend a position, despite it having no basis in truth. Its one of the strains of the Mandela effect, although recently its become more of a (intended) result of Fake-news.

I'll take my lead from JonWallsend, and leave it at this point, once again wishing you all the best for the season ahead.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on August 30, 2019, 07:20:54 pm by swintonrover »
Our data is skewed by a 38 year old. If Sterling played instead of Coppinger, our average age would be 22. No excuses. Your administrators tried to cheat, by lying about player welfare.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on August 30, 2019, 07:25:29 pm by vaya »

No.
Because I have already said we were wrong. And should be punished. And we can't be defended. And is unjustifyable. (is that even the right word?)
But I also say that no team should be given 3 points, when the match is still able to be played.
That's an opinion. And people are allowed to be wrong with opinions. We both have differing opinions, both of us are right to have those opinions.

However when people state facts, that are incorrect, then one should be able to correct those statements, without others saying they then have an hidden agenda.
Because on the internet, people believe statements such as 'Wimbledon have a younger team' (Someone even liked the comment). It then becomes a de-facto truth, despite it being complete gibberish, and people will then use it to defend a position, despite it having no basis in truth. Its one of the strains of the Mandela effect, although recently its become more of a (intended) result of Fake-news.

I'll take my lead from JonWallsend, and leave it at this point, once again wishing you all the best for the season ahead.

If you're going to start patronising people, it might be an idea not to type things with your elbows.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #128 on August 30, 2019, 07:43:50 pm by glosterred »

No.

I wonder if the boot had been on the other foot and  we had called the game off the day before the match you’d still be saying the game should be replayed, I suspect not. I suspect you’d want the points

COYR

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on August 30, 2019, 07:46:08 pm by IDM »
It really is a simple argument - if you fail to fulfil a fixture without agreement of the authorities, you forfeit the game..

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #130 on August 30, 2019, 07:58:18 pm by selby »
  The fact is I bought a ticket for the game, and arranged travel, only a couple of days before the game because Bolton only released the tickets a couple of days previously because of doubts about your survival. Then whoever on behalf of Bolton Wanderers decided they would not play the game.
   If the game had been at Doncaster, the same as at Tranmere, Bolton would have played the game, because they knew we would have kicked off, and walked the ball into the net and claimed the game. As would Tranmere if they had not turned up.
 Synical, premeditated, and calculated to gain an advantage at a later date, by a club that will be in the same position again in future.
  After a short upsurge of support their attendances will soon drop off when they realise their is no way out of relegation, and next season they are the big fish to be aimed at, and the owners take more interest in the Hotel, and leave the football club to pay the bills on the stadium.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 08:07:04 pm by selby »

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on August 30, 2019, 08:53:06 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »
I’m on the fence on this one, but I have to say that awarding the points happens at all levels of football. Last season in the Notts Youth League, my U17s had an opposition who texted me the night before the game to say they weren’t coming because they had no substitutes. They were docked points and we were awarded a 3-0 win. I would rather have played the game, but it is standard practice across most leagues.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on August 30, 2019, 08:57:57 pm by Chris Black come back »
Sounds about right in Nottinghamshire. Punish the guys who don’t come to work and reward those who do. Pah. Nowt changes.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on August 30, 2019, 10:15:46 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Bolton fan in peace, it wasn't the club that cancelled the game, it was the admins, they rightly thought that a group of 16 and 17 year olds could not possibly get through 180 minutes of football against bigger and more professional clubs, now we've averted the crisis no more need for postponements, and how you come to the conclusion you deserve the 3 points and a 5-0 win is beyond the most sane persons mind.

I hope none of your little dears have to read your post. Given how delicate they are, they'll need oxygen by the time they get to the end of it.

And an interesting take, starting a sentence saying you're coming in peace and finishing it calling us insane.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 01:03:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on August 30, 2019, 11:02:37 pm by Pancho Regan »

I've lost respect for your club in this, and with some of your fans too. Good luck with the venture capitalist owners.

Agree totally.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #135 on August 30, 2019, 11:48:57 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It really is a simple argument - if you fail to fulfil a fixture without agreement of the authorities, you forfeit the game..

Yep. That's the correct call. Broke the rules. No consideration for the governing body, no considetion for the opposition, no consideration for the fans!

And somehow they think it was justified!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on August 30, 2019, 11:51:16 pm by RedJ »

Yep. That's the correct call. Broke the rules. No consideration for the governing body, no considetion for the opposition, no consideration for the fans!

And somehow they think it was justified!

Nah they're not justifying it remember, just correcting facts.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on August 31, 2019, 12:25:06 am by Canadian Rover »
I'd say the 38 year old needs more time off from playing than a 19 year old! Both physically and mentally.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on August 31, 2019, 12:27:10 am by Campsall rover »
If we have to replay it i guess we can just cancel the game at short notice and rearrange it when it suits us better. If Bolton are allowed to get away with it then why not us. The precedent it sets is very dangerous so can't see any logic for the EFL allowing a replay. Unfortunately i can't help feeling like we will have to replay

You will be able to call off the re-arranged game if you so wish.
As long as you are willing to accept the points deduction that will come with it, as it will come to us.
And thats the deterrent to stop others doing it.

Of course, we wouldnt expect to be rewarded because you called off the game ........
Don’t you understand it is unacceptable to unilaterally call of a game.
Not only that, it was done with only 30 hrs before kick off.
There wasn’t even the courtesy of a call to DRFC to let the club know. Let alone a request to the EFL
Have you even given one second thought to all the Rovers supporters who took a day off work and will lose a days pay. All the supporters who paid in advance for train tickets & will not get a refund.
No i thought not.

We all feel desperately sorry for the Bolton fans to see your club get decimated by unscrupulous owners, of course we do. We were there ourselves only 21 yrs ago. Our club was on the brink.
We had to endure the agony of 46 games for which, in most we were humiliated. But we played them all with non league players and kids on the dates they were supposed to be played.

You were given permission unlike Bury to start the season because you gave the EFL the assurance you could fulfil your fixtures. That includes playing Sat,Tues as and when the fixtures fall.

If you can’t see that the actions of your administrators or management/coaching staff set a very dangerous precedent then your not looking at the wider picture here.

We don’t want a give away 3 points, we would have much preferred to play you on the 20th Aug.
It’s the principle of the actions taken by Bolton Wanderers that is the issue.

The integrity of the league is at stake here. Surely you can see that?
So it’s okay for a club that is badly run and is in a financial meltdown down, can do what it wishes as and when it wants and a club which is now one of the best run clubs in the football league as a consequence is punished.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 09:45:01 pm by Campsall rover »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on August 31, 2019, 01:04:10 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I'd say the 38 year old needs more time off from playing than a 19 year old! Both physically and mentally.

I do feel for Coppinger's mental state.

Knowing that he's publicly humiliating decent, honest pros on a weekly basis must be a hard thing to come to terms with.

I bet he gets up every morning, chucks water over his face, looks up at the mirror and thinks "I never wanted to become the Kitson who's looking back at me. But I can't help it."

rtidfco

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on August 31, 2019, 10:34:11 am by rtidfco »
No game for us today so going to my local ground to see Gills v Bolton. If it's another 5-0 we should insist on playing them 10 Sep

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on August 31, 2019, 10:43:19 am by vaya »
No game for us today so going to my local ground to see Gills v Bolton. If it's another 5-0 we should insist on playing them 10 Sep

Probably best to check with Bolton if they're up for this one before you set off.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #142 on August 31, 2019, 12:01:49 pm by RobTheRover »
Just check with OneandOnly, he seems to have all the answers.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on August 31, 2019, 03:58:37 pm by scawsby steve »
Question for Martin. If we don't get the 3 points, which I don't think we will, can't we then insist that the game be played on the next Carabao Cup date?

I know Bolton will probably have some new players by then, but not as many as they'll surely sign in January.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #144 on August 31, 2019, 04:10:34 pm by Filo »
2-0 down at ht to Gillingham another heavey defeat beckons, it must surely strengthen our argument

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on August 31, 2019, 04:14:01 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Possibly another 0-5 from our Lancy crybabies. Ave age of starters 22.7.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on August 31, 2019, 04:18:22 pm by Metalmicky »
3:0 now

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #147 on August 31, 2019, 04:20:30 pm by Filo »
4-0 now

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on August 31, 2019, 04:21:38 pm by pib »
...and they’ve got 15 new players lined up ready to sign apparently. Great.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on August 31, 2019, 04:22:06 pm by vaya »

Don't forget it's a welfare issue though.

How well are they faring? Not very.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012