Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 01:39:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tic toc tic toc!!  (Read 4330 times)

Michael Gibson

• Forum Member
Tic toc tic toc!!
« on August 29, 2019, 07:31:25 pm by Michael Gibson »
So who we going for with the mystery striker??? I haven’t a clue to set up a poll, but if I had to put a bet on it, from the rumours circulating I’d go....

1. Clarke
2. Cummings
3. Bogle...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
Re: Tic toc tic toc!!
« Reply #1 on August 29, 2019, 07:33:27 pm by Guernsey Exile »
Anichebe

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 29, 2019, 08:05:37 pm by Michael Shaw »
Hardly a co-incidence that Anichebe just happens to be training with us.
Let's face it, we get so little information that DM could have tried out several strikers since Marquis left. Anichebe could be just the latest.

Michael Gibson

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 29, 2019, 08:22:33 pm by Michael Gibson »
Considering we’ve apparently got a bid accepted by a club surely it’s not him, definitely not a prolific striker better than jm.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 29, 2019, 08:35:05 pm by graingrover »
I would settle for Anichebe ,Stirling ,Ennis ,May and Sadlier .

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 29, 2019, 08:41:37 pm by Michael Shaw »
To be fair, who is a prolific striker better than JM?  Pompey weren't stupid when they snapped him up from us. 
Whoever comes in, I suspect most fans will be counting his goals and comparing him to the 22 John scored in L1 and 4 he scored in cups.
Anichebe hasn't played in 18 months and I doubt Stirling, Ennis, May or Sadlier will put in 26, although I hope they all do.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 29, 2019, 08:43:09 pm by 5minstogo »
I think it's Clarke. He'll be on a decent wage at the Blades and that will be the stumbling block and why it could end up being a loan. Anichebe could be the fall back option if we/he like the look of each other. Personally I'd rather take the risk on Big Vic.

I can't see it being Bogle or Winnall as they are being included in squads at their current clubs.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 29, 2019, 08:46:32 pm by drfchound »
To be fair, who is a prolific striker better than JM?  Pompey weren't stupid when they snapped him up from us. 
Whoever comes in, I suspect most fans will be counting his goals and comparing him to the 22 John scored in L1 and 4 he scored in cups.
Anichebe hasn't played in 18 months and I doubt Stirling, Ennis, May or Sadlier will put in 26, although I hope they all do.

We will win the league by a massive margin if they all do.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 29, 2019, 08:47:29 pm by Michael Shaw »
That's fine by me, hound.    RTID

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 29, 2019, 08:48:25 pm by Michael Shaw »
Preferably 5+ against Bolton whoever they field against us.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 29, 2019, 09:05:20 pm by Dagenham Rover »
I'd settle for whoever Darren thinks can do the job

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 29, 2019, 09:50:12 pm by RedJ »

They don't need to put in 26 though. People do realise that goals are allowed to come from all over the team in smaller numbers don't they? our top scorer last time we won this league didn't even get 15, without checking, but about five of the squad got into double figures or very close.

It helps having one player who can smash in goals every week, but if they come from all over the pitch it isn't absolutely necessary.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 29, 2019, 09:53:19 pm by idler »
It's a lot harder to mark five potential goal scorers than just one option.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 29, 2019, 11:05:02 pm by since-1969 »
Anichebe
it’s a shame he didn’t choose another team to train with but he knows DM and is looking for a shop window perhaps . We need a hungry striker  who wants to make a name not another mouth to feed who may just want a bit of publicity to get him somewhere else because we won’t pay what HE may think he’s worth .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 30, 2019, 12:19:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Considering we’ve apparently got a bid accepted by a club surely it’s not him, definitely not a prolific striker better than jm.
You reckon Marquis would score 27 goals in 98 PL starts? Really?

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 30, 2019, 01:37:15 pm by drfcsteve »
Anichebe
it’s a shame he didn’t choose another team to train with but he knows DM and is looking for a shop window perhaps . We need a hungry striker  who wants to make a name not another mouth to feed who may just want a bit of publicity to get him somewhere else because we won’t pay what HE may think he’s worth .

He's done the business in the Premiership and is considerably younger than Clarke. I'd take him if Darren thinks he could do a job.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 30, 2019, 01:47:58 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Anichebe? I think he'd be excellent for us, though, to be pedantic, he got around half that number of goals in the games he started - a ratio of 0.13 goals per start. A different player to Marquis, probably better all in all, and hopefully we can see how it pans out.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 30, 2019, 01:59:38 pm by Alan Southstand »
The only problem I can envisage with VA, is his lack of game time over the last 18 months. Even if we gave him a short-term deal, he would need a good 4-6 weeks training before he was ready to play first team football. And that’s if he doesn’t suffer an injury set-back in that time. We’ll be through most of our next 8 tough games before he even kicks a ball!

He could be very good for us, but, again, we’d have to be very patient with him. On the other hand, we’re doing him a favour by training with us and he could sod off and sign for anyone, unless we do something!

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 30, 2019, 02:09:37 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Anichebe? I think he'd be excellent for us, though, to be pedantic, he got around half that number of goals in the games he started - a ratio of 0.13 goals per start. A different player to Marquis, probably better all in all, and hopefully we can see how it pans out.
yes but we now have "touch me and I fall over if i'm in the penalty area" football. Football  is so much easier nowadays for forwards with the lack of tackling and a nightmare for people at the back (once called defenders)
to relie on past stats would be total stupidity  :headbang:

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 30, 2019, 02:14:14 pm by foxbat »
Nothing happening today then ?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 30, 2019, 02:42:11 pm by dickos1 »
We really are dragging this out arent we.
4 weeks now since Moore said we’d had offers accepted for two strikers who both had records on a par with marquis

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 30, 2019, 02:49:39 pm by vaya »
4 weeks now since Moore said we’d had offers accepted for two strikers who both had records on a par with marquis

Did he actually say that? - genuine question.

Shawndrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 30, 2019, 02:52:25 pm by Shawndrfc »
I think it was a quote that was taken wrong. I think he meant to have said they have made offer on 2 players with the pedigree of Marquis but hardest bit is getting it over the line with clubs not wanting to let them go etc. 

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 30, 2019, 03:13:25 pm by dickos1 »

Yes, the interview is still on the football heaven website.
He said both offers had been accepted and now the hardest part was getting them over the line.
Ie convincing the players to come here

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 30, 2019, 03:27:21 pm by vaya »

He said both offers had been accepted and now the hardest part was getting them over the line.

Does he say 'pedigree' or goalscoring record though?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 30, 2019, 03:47:21 pm by scawsby steve »

Does he say 'pedigree' or goalscoring record though?

Yes, according to Liam Hoden he said the strikers' records were as good as, or better than, that of John Marquis.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on August 30, 2019, 04:16:16 pm by IDM »
argument? No, but perhaps a contradiction..!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 30, 2019, 04:18:13 pm by dickos1 »
What’s the contradiction?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012