Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 11:55:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Rotherham United cup game Tuesday  (Read 9096 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Rotherham United cup game Tuesday
« Reply #30 on October 08, 2019, 08:20:12 am by IDM »
Article says we've no choice but to play a strong team but to expect Amos and Blaney to start.

I read that and don’t understand it. Does that mean all our u23 side is injured? I’m not sure what it means, but certain players will be ‘rested’, I’m sure (Whiteman, Sheaf, Copps, Sadlier, Anderson, Dieng). May was subbed at the end of Saturday’s game, so I can see him sitting this out, also.

Longbottom, Greaves, Blaney, Wright, Lawlor and Amos will probably all start the game. I would imagine Thomas will get maybe 45 minutes. So, I think maybe:

Lawlor

Halliday
Wright
Blaney
Amos

Greaves
Gomes

Longbottom
Kiwomya
Gibbons?

Thomas

I think the DFP article is only talking about the first team squad, to select the team from, in the first instance..

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on October 08, 2019, 08:45:46 am by NewDonny »
At least 2 from the previous starting eleven must start, plus 2 that were either involved and or in the previous games squad.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on October 08, 2019, 09:26:18 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Remember a few years ago a team subbed players after the 1st ball went out to get around the rule. Can't remember who but feel like it was Sheffield Wednesday. There's always a way around it if we really want to

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on October 08, 2019, 09:31:33 am by IDM »
Clever, but not against the rules..

There was also another club which ignored the player rules completely in their group games and took the paltry fines for doing so..

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on October 08, 2019, 09:35:29 am by Donnywolf »
Who would like us to go "strong" ?

Or is something else (Top 6/7 finish) our priority so you would be happy to see us go "weak"

How weak with Rotherham go as well ?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on October 08, 2019, 09:45:24 am by IDM »
Apart from players with injuries or niggles there should be no problem going strong tonight and in the league - these are pros and should be fit enough to cope as we aren’t playing Saturday/Tuesday every week.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on October 08, 2019, 09:57:19 am by selby »
  I think it was Bradford City Sedwards, Mickleover Sports also have a game tonight and Jones and Watters are on loan there, both reported to have had a good game last weekend by the way for them. Gibbon scored for Gainsborough if it is our boy on loan, if it is he was reported to have done well but have no game, and Frickley play Sheffield FC in a cup game who may have players from us on loan.
  Whether any of those players would have been involved is questionable, although they have been in squads before, and whether if we want to involve them and would take precedence I have no idea.
  So as others have alluded to we may have to field quite a strong team for the game, I would like to see Longbottom myself given a start as he looked very promising before getting a long injury.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on October 08, 2019, 10:03:09 am by Donnywolf »
Anybody trying The Cutlers or New York Tavern before game tonight ?

Both sell Chantry Beers

Mighty Millers - might be hard to order or swallow

Iron and Steel Bitter is great

Steelos - if you like Copps Hops then you are sure to like this (if you know what I mean)

I'll be trying to get in one for sure

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on October 08, 2019, 10:19:02 am by selby »
  So Wolfie, the bad luck charm of Notts County rises again,  may see you in the pub again, at least this game looks to have created more interest than usual on this thread, and we may get a few more spectators than usual.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on October 08, 2019, 10:32:30 am by Donnywolf »
There will be more than Notts County there (from Donny) I am quite sure

I'll be in one of above if they let me in after 6.15. NYT is stuffed full of Millers Photos but the beer is great if you have Iron and Steel Bitter - right up my alley !

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on October 08, 2019, 01:11:07 pm by idler »
Remember a few years ago a team subbed players after the 1st ball went out to get around the rule. Can't remember who but feel like it was Sheffield Wednesday. There's always a way around it if we really want to
I'm not sure that it was as soon as the ball went out but it was very early.
Gary Megson was their manager and the whole bench was laughing when they did it. The Bradford City fans weren't amused though.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on October 08, 2019, 04:37:50 pm by RedRover45 »
I'm not sure that it was as soon as the ball went out but it was very early.
Gary Megson was their manager and the whole bench was laughing when they did it. The Bradford City fans weren't amused though.

I'm sure I remember Luton doing something similar.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on October 08, 2019, 06:03:51 pm by glosterred »
Tonight’s team, plenty of changes

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=274470.0

COYR

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on October 08, 2019, 06:43:32 pm by dknward2 »
8 changes for Rotherham and 9 for us

Comes down to who wants it the least for me a draw and then we lose on penalties

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on October 09, 2019, 12:06:25 am by Alan Southstand »
For all those wanting us to try our youngsters, tonight shone a light on that idea. Thinking about the Rotherham game tonight, with a much changed side, along with Rotherham, some of our youngsters faired reasonably well, but some less so.

Positives were Amos, AJ Greaves, Thomas.

Negatives were Kiwomya, Longbottom.

Blaney was just about ok, but there’s no way he’s going to threaten the first team.
Gomes was ok first half but disappeared in the second.

I think now is the time to try someone new in the u23’s, particularly with AK and Longbottom. Watters, Boocock and Gibbons have now got to be given their chance to stake a claim. Unfortunately, those three are out on loan, or just back from their loans, but either way, I think we’ve seen enough to know that there just has to be better (and fitter) players out there. Second half tonight was painful to watch 2 guys who were physically simply not up to the task. DM can’t ignore it anymore, he’s given them more than enough leeway and they are about out of time.

I can see young Myring being given an opportunity, at this rate. I just don’t know where the 2 lads go from here! Prove me wrong, for goodness sake.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on October 09, 2019, 07:35:47 am by since-1969 »
Can’t complain about a result where 9 players were left out from previous game . Class did show with Joe Wright  scoring & making up for his own goal and Stadlier keep up his form .

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on October 09, 2019, 07:52:33 am by Alan Southstand »
If anything stood out, between the 2 sides, it was the difference in depth of squads. Yes, we made 9 changes, but Rotherham made 8 themselves, but yet, still looked a more ‘senior’ side!

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on October 09, 2019, 08:12:17 am by graingrover »
Amos was very good last night and in particular getting forward and putting in crosses one of which was superb curving round their back line into the path of our two incoming forwards. ..a skilful young man ,strong and positive on his play.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
If anything stood out, between the 2 sides, it was the difference in depth of squads. Yes, we made 9 changes, but Rotherham made 8 themselves, but yet, still looked a more ‘senior’ side!

Hard to tell how many they had out injured though versus us, our injury list included John, Baptiste, Blair, Sterling, Ennis already.  With that in mind and a few others out on loan it's not so bad really.

Sounds like some positives despite also some negatives.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on October 09, 2019, 08:50:28 am by Campsall rover »
What that game told me was Daniels is a centre back and not a right back. Both Rotherham’s 2nd & 3rd goals came from him getting beaten for pace.
We lost our way after Halliday and Sadlier went off & Gomes was anonymous 2nd half.
Bit disappointed with Thomas but it was his 1st game so not judging him yet as that wouldn’t be fair.
Thought Kiwomya did reasonably well and was always a threat when he ran at their defence. He got a couple of good crosses in but no one to put the ball in the net.
Longbottom was a disappointment and on that performance does not look 1st team quality.
Amos showed what i already knew, a very good player.
Disappointing result but a good work out for Joe Wright who looks now back to full fitness and one or two others also.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on October 09, 2019, 09:29:39 am by Donnywolf »
Yes we seemed to be wide open for both their 2nd and 3rd Goals but Joe Wright was "upped" by their bloke and ended on the floor having gone over a static Rotherham Player (foul?)

In same instant 2 of our boys collided and one looked to be "spark out" on his back . Ref could have stopped play (maybe should?)

Joe Wright went to protest to the Ref but of course no joy there.We ere short at the back there of that there is no doubt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rngFgtgVQw

About 1.13 in
Pool goals given away by both sides. Big up for our first but if Lawlor had let that in he would have been slaughtered.

Poor game to watch - poor Attendance - poor Competition - and some poor players who like me wont make a career at this level
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 09:41:17 am by Donnywolf »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on October 09, 2019, 09:38:59 am by selby »
  My opinion is a that I agree with most that Alan and Paul say, but would add that playing Taylor as a central attacker was a failure, as was May as a threat on goal at all.
  Their second goal was a disaster of incompetence and bad play, the ball was played out to the left wing to May, who when faced with the full back turned back towards his own goal, the full back new what he would do followed and put him under pressure and he played a hurried  ball into the centre circle to Wright who was fouled under pressure. so we had a free kick, the ball was lofted to the edge of their area, and was cleared to down their left wing, who attacked our defence at pace ran past them and scored, a ninety yard move when we actually had the ball in possession twice diagonally the furthest positions on the field from the position they scored. The main difference a wide player who got past a defender.
  The third goal was similar only we lost the ball on the right  side of their penalty area when  a ball was hit twenty yards supposedly to Taylor's feet and got cut out on the edge of a crowded area, and they played a ball up field, and again, they had a wide player willing to cut in past a defender and shoot into the corner, two lessons of wide players instead of turning away from goal and playing the ball backwards for someone else to take the responsibility with the ball, running past a defender and shooting on the run.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on October 09, 2019, 09:43:23 am by Colemans Left Hook »
Amos was very good last night and in particular getting forward and putting in crosses one of which was superb curving round their back line into the path of our two incoming forwards. ..a skilful young man ,strong and positive on his play.

it's funny you mentioned Amos was very good last night (someone else has said similar on here today) 
guess what almost a year ago I posted this during the defeat at Notts County in this competition - mid match --

Denny Amos apparently is playing well

i missed out the bit about how impressive his crosses were then . Their lot Notts County were impressed with him

So he is a year older and his career hasn't progressed from what i can see - he couldn't even make the Hartlepool team when he went out on loan last season. The seagulls were on the pitch more than him  :crying:

But hang on a minute aren't good crossers of a ball like golddust -- and you can make a career out of just that  --

Enda Stevens did has .............   so he needs to go on loan to a 4th division team on the condition that they play him in a certain way - and that way only

just seen this post by redj from the same match

Tom Anderson is f**king shit. Dunno what's happened over the summer to him!

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=267874.msg814193#msg814193
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 09:46:17 am by Colemans Left Hook »

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on October 09, 2019, 09:58:15 am by Metalmicky »
  My opinion is a that I agree with most that Alan and Paul say, but would add that playing Taylor as a central attacker was a failure, as was May as a threat on goal at all.
  Their second goal was a disaster of incompetence and bad play, the ball was played out to the left wing to May, who when faced with the full back turned back towards his own goal, the full back new what he would do followed and put him under pressure and he played a hurried  ball into the centre circle to Wright who was fouled under pressure. so we had a free kick, the ball was lofted to the edge of their area, and was cleared to down their left wing, who attacked our defence at pace ran past them and scored, a ninety yard move when we actually had the ball in possession twice diagonally the furthest positions on the field from the position they scored. The main difference a wide player who got past a defender.
  The third goal was similar only we lost the ball on the right  side of their penalty area when  a ball was hit twenty yards supposedly to Taylor's feet and got cut out on the edge of a crowded area, and they played a ball up field, and again, they had a wide player willing to cut in past a defender and shoot into the corner, two lessons of wide players instead of turning away from goal and playing the ball backwards for someone else to take the responsibility with the ball, running past a defender and shooting on the run.

I thought Wright was fouled in the build up to their second and the shot should also have been stopped - seemed to go through the legs of the defender (Daniels?).  Agreed that we are giving the ball away too much and currently being made to pay for it...

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on October 09, 2019, 10:00:49 am by steve@dcfd »
Selby what it showed with their goals as you say wide players taking on defenders. Our two wide players were no existent in the second half especially is was like playing with nine men. They should not be any where near the first team squad or bench. With the experience of Kiwomya you expect more and he lets you down in every game he plays. First half he had Brad Halliday to back him up and Brad ran past him most of the time.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on October 09, 2019, 10:07:40 am by Alan Southstand »
Selby, you’re homing in on Alfie again, but the truth lies in our inadequacies out wide and a fateful change at right full back. Daniels never ventured beyond the halfway line all 2nd half! Had Brad played the whole of the game, I doubt they would have secured the win.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on October 09, 2019, 10:18:40 am by selby »
 Alan, I agree, if you were at the game,which I think you were, did I describe what happened
and who was involved correctly, or am I wrong, I didn't mention the running into defenders on the edge of the box not knowing what to do, when a two yard ball would have played someone in, because I thought people would think I was getting at him. Or was it someone else and I got it wrong.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on October 09, 2019, 10:31:31 am by Alan Southstand »
I agree with you, but the most glaringly obvious shortcomings you haven’t even mentioned. How come, only Kiwomya and Longbottom, 2nd half, we’re able to find the only patches of quicksand on the pitch?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on October 09, 2019, 10:55:12 am by Donnywolf »
Selby, you’re homing in on Alfie again, but the truth lies in our inadequacies out wide and a fateful change at right full back. Daniels never ventured beyond the halfway line all 2nd half! Had Brad played the whole of the game, I doubt they would have secured the win.

Yes we missed Halliday badly in 2nd Half

They say attack is best form of defence and he was keeping them well on the back foot in firt half. Yes we went 1 down

Agree with Metalmickey too I think Jow Wright WAS fouled # reply 51 above shows so ppeople can judge for themselves. Also almost alongside we lost another man (Gomes?) when he clashed with one of his Team mates. Looked like a head injury - many Refs would have blown straight away

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on October 09, 2019, 11:25:17 am by Alan Southstand »
Another thing I’ve just recalled - who put in the excellent cross for Wright to score our 2nd goal? Yes, it was non other than Alfie.

He certainly had his faults, but you could argue so did sads first half when he tried to take on 1 too many at times. Just balancing things out, that’s all.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012