Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 11:21:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: British fail?  (Read 5272 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: British fail?
« Reply #30 on December 02, 2019, 06:29:56 pm by drfchound »
  The only data I need on this Sydney is 40 years running businesses and the thousands of suppliers I've come across in that time.and do you know how much of the millions and millions of pounds of goods ive bought has come from railfreight?? absolutely none..it's a just in time world,cashflow is everything.Railfreight needs a lorry to take goods to the depot,it then sits there until theres a place on a train,then it get railed from a to b..Then you need to wait until is disembarked and cleared for collection and hope in all that time nothing is damaged.Then you need another lorry to pick it up and deliver to the business who bought it...Best part of three days,countless phone calls and arrangements and a dam site more expensive than saying to a haulier can you pick this up at 7am in Doncaster and deliver it to anywhere in the uk that day....

Sometimes you need data to argue a point and sometimes you just need a bit of common sense to tell you that something is unworkable..

Well said wingco.
I am retired now but like yourself, I had forty odd years of being in business and over time deliveries in and out become more and more “just in time”.
Rail deliveries would not be much use to most service industries.
How would companies like Amazon manage let alone smaller companies like ours.

Then of course there is the threat of the unions to go on strike like we are due to endure in the next four weeks.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on December 02, 2019, 07:05:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Nobody is saying that road haulage is going to vanish. As with everything, it's about getting the balance.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on December 02, 2019, 07:36:22 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Allow me to explain that 'just in time' manufacturing is not about waiting until you're nearly out of stock and then picking the phone up expecting the supplier to have it to you the same day, it's about advance planning and a robust supply-chain that can be relied upon to have the goods with you at the agreed time.  There is absolutely nothing about rail freight that doesn't fit with JiT.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on December 02, 2019, 07:50:19 pm by drfchound »
Allow me to explain that 'just in time' manufacturing is not about waiting until you're nearly out of stock and then picking the phone up expecting the supplier to have it to you the same day, it's about advance planning and a robust supply-chain that can be relied upon to have the goods with you at the agreed time.  There is absolutely nothing about rail freight that doesn't fit with JiT.

In theory yes pies, that would be correct.
In reality though it doesn’t always follow.
Personally, I wasn’t speaking about manufacturing.
I was a plumbers merchant and we purchased from manufacturers.
Yes, we carried stock but invariably we would get orders from customers, out of the blue, which were far bigger than our usual stock levels.
Of course this meant calling on suppliers to get products to us just in time, as the saying goes.
More often than not this was a next day delivery, either to our premises or direct to the customer, depending of course who it was.
We dealt extensively with utility companies all over the UK and they always wanted next day delivery for large quantities of products.
Delivery by road was the only way to get the materials delivered in time.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on December 02, 2019, 08:35:03 pm by SydneyRover »
If you look back through the thread hound you will see written that no one is talking about local/next day deliveries.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on December 02, 2019, 08:40:49 pm by drfchound »
I think you will find that just in time deliveries include next day and others have been talking about just in time deliveries, in case you hadn’t noticed.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on December 02, 2019, 08:55:52 pm by SydneyRover »
Correct but only those who are arguing against labours proposals in case you didn't notice hound

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on December 02, 2019, 09:14:45 pm by drfchound »
Correct but only those who are arguing against labours proposals in case you didn't notice hound

So you do agree then that wingco and myself are right to say that rail freight wouldnt be good enough for lots of businesses.
I am glad about that, we rarely agree.

I would expect the majority on here to support Labour proposals by the way.
Maybe there are people who haven't had to deal with running their own businesses so perhaps some of them wouldn’t fully understand the need for not penalising road users.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on December 02, 2019, 09:20:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hound.

For God's sake, no-one is saying that lorries are going to be banned and every business has to have its own RailFreight drop off point!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on December 02, 2019, 09:21:23 pm by SydneyRover »
Can't help you if you haven't read all the comments hound

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on December 02, 2019, 09:37:18 pm by drfchound »
Hound.

For God's sake, no-one is saying that lorries are going to be banned and every business has to have its own RailFreight drop off point!

Well of course I know that BST.
I was supporting the view of wingco and his comment on just in time deliveries and explaining to pies that his theory on delivery and stock requirements wasn’t quite right.
It was your Aussie mate who complicated the thread with his follow up post saying that no one had spoken about local or next day deliveries.
Where did I say that every business had to have its own rail freight drop off point by the way.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on December 02, 2019, 10:21:17 pm by SydneyRover »

So you do agree then that wingco and myself are right to say that rail freight wouldnt be good enough for lots of businesses.

Maybe there are people who haven't had to deal with running their own businesses so perhaps some of them wouldn’t fully understand the need for not penalising road users.

No one disagreed you and WC are arguing between yourselves.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on December 02, 2019, 10:25:52 pm by drfchound »

No one disagreed you and WC are arguing between yourselves.

Haha, you do make me laugh Sydney.
And you say that I had not read the other posts.
I even started my post to him with “well said wingco”.

Arguing my arse.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on December 02, 2019, 10:37:02 pm by SydneyRover »
I didn't say you were arguing out of your arse hound  :)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on December 02, 2019, 10:44:46 pm by drfchound »
I didn't say you were arguing out of your arse hound  :)

Hahaha, or should that be seasonal and be hohoho.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on December 03, 2019, 12:20:04 am by wing commander »
Sweet Jesus Sydney what are you on about??  Me and hound are agreeing with each other.. It's you, Billy and pies I'm disagreeing with..

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on December 03, 2019, 12:27:15 am by SydneyRover »
Exactly  :)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on December 03, 2019, 12:43:23 am by BillyStubbsTears »
What of what I've said are you disagreeing with WingCo?

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on December 03, 2019, 08:36:15 am by wing commander »
You are correct Billy,and please accept my humble apologies,nothing you have put on this thread I have disagreed with.I guess I've been that used to being on the opposite side to the political debates with you over the last month or two I became complacent..

However it wouldn't be modern politics if I didn't say this policy isn't one you have vehemently defended with your normal vigour so I'm assuming this isn't one you are totally convinced on either,buti'm sure you will correct me on that too.lol

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on December 03, 2019, 07:26:58 pm by drfchound »
Sweet Jesus Sydney what are you on about??  Me and hound are agreeing with each other.. It's you, Billy and pies I'm disagreeing with..
Exactly  :)

SR, you really are mixed up dude.
First you tell me that wingco and myself are arguing with each other.
Then I tell you that we aren’t and explain why.
Your response to that is to avoid acknowledging your mistake by making a silly comment.
Wingco posts and confirms that he and I were agreeing with each other then you say “exactly”.

Crazy man. 🤯

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on December 06, 2019, 06:15:00 am by SydneyRover »
Passengers protest to demand Northern rail be stripped of franchise

Customers of one of UK’s worst-performing train firms gather for Manchester demonstration
Government transport spending per person in London is two and a half times more than it is in the north of England, according to analysis from the centre-left thinktank IPPR North. Treasury data shows that in 2018-19

£903 was spent in the capital for every resident, while in the north the sum was £376.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/dec/05/passengers-protest-demand-northern-rail-stripped-franchise

And this is how johnson is going to fix it????

Boris Johnson vows to ban all-out strikes on public transport

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/05/boris-johnson-says-sorry-for-any-offence-caused-by-burqa-article

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 06:27:18 am by SydneyRover »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on December 06, 2019, 03:40:16 pm by drfchound »
But surely if the government want people to use public transport then all measures should be taken to encourage it.

The grief that the current industrial action will cause just forces people away and back into cars.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on December 06, 2019, 09:26:14 pm by SydneyRover »
If they'd done that there wouldn't be a need fir a strike hound.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on December 06, 2019, 09:51:04 pm by drfchound »
If they'd done that there wouldn't be a need fir a strike hound.

Yep, the union leaders call a strike, the union members daren’t go against that so they lose at least a months pay at an expensive time of year for most people.
Their customers are inconvenienced and go back to using their cars.
The union leaders probably still get paid.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on December 06, 2019, 09:53:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hound.

What on earth are you talking about?

The union members VOTED to strike!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on December 06, 2019, 09:55:56 pm by drfchound »
Yeah I know that, like the miners did.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on December 06, 2019, 10:03:52 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hound
Why do you do this?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on December 06, 2019, 10:12:51 pm by drfchound »
Well I don’t agree with strikes for a start.
Lots of lads I knew back in the days of mass strikes daren’t vote against going on strike.
They felt that they had no option.
The union leaders had them over a barrel.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on December 06, 2019, 10:20:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
That was a million years ago.

But, since you raise the issue of strikes in principle, do you reckon the similarity between the trends in these two graphs is a coincidence?

Look at the post War data in particular. The correlation is startling. When unions are weaker, the very richest cream off far, far more of the national output. We work. They take the proceeds.

Strong unions are ESSENTIAL for a capitalist democracy to work fairly. Those graphs demonstrate that.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 10:23:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on December 06, 2019, 10:27:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
By the way. The story from the USA is even more startling.

If you don't agree with strikes,what you are saying by default,whether you mean it or not, is that you're happy for the very richest in society to pocket the majority of the proceeds of economic growth.

Are you REALLY happy with that?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012