Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 03:42:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: the BBC , Impartial News or Tory Mouthpiece that we pay for ?  (Read 4994 times)

foxbat

• VSC Member
the BBC , Impartial News or Tory Mouthpiece that we pay for ?
« on November 29, 2019, 01:51:30 pm by foxbat »
The BBC is in trouble again over some of its coverage of the election
- it's been accused of being biased in favour of Boris Johnson?

Do you think the BBC has lost its balance?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: the BBC , Impartial News or Tory Mouthpiece that we pay for ?
« Reply #1 on November 29, 2019, 03:00:32 pm by Donnywolf »
Completely

I have not taken much notice of the Beeb for years thinking they were indeed neutral / impartial but then I saw the crap they were coming out with and the doctoring of Johnson and I was "awoken" to their biased coverage

People have been hammering them of late and I have noticed today they are trying to go over the top to make it look like they are giving the Tories (well Johnsons Dad anyway) a "rougher ride"

Will it last ? Dont know but I will be watching with interest

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 29, 2019, 03:06:16 pm by Not Now Kato »
The Brexit Broadcasting Corporation? Biassed towards the Tories?  Well, who would have thunk it?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 29, 2019, 05:04:12 pm by i_ateallthepies »
The Brexit Broadcasting Corporation? Biassed towards the Tories?  Well, who would have thunk it?

I flagged it up months ago about the grotesquely biassed narrative delivered at every turn by BBC Kuntsbergh

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 29, 2019, 05:21:12 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I don't think it's Television that's the problem here. It's more likely Tunnel vision.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 29, 2019, 06:00:45 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I don’t think the BBC is biased. I’ve heard arguments from both sides about it but from what I see, there’s no problem. Andrew Neil is undoubtably a right winger but he gives just as much grief to the Tories as he does Labour. Similarly the much maligned Laura Kluinsberg. I often hear her on the radio being highly critical of the Tories.

I’m old enough to remember broadcasters like Robin Day and Brian Waldron accused of being biased & now they’re held up as beacons of impartiality!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 29, 2019, 06:19:20 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I think it definitely is biased towards the left and Remain, Question Time being a prime example. It is also biased in light entertainment with left-wing programmes like HIGNFY.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/13/andrew-neil-attacks-bbc-left-wing-bias-comedy-shows/

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 29, 2019, 06:38:29 pm by albie »
There is an extensive research literature on the establishment bias in the UK media.
A good starting point is;
https://www.mediareform.org.uk/

The best recent example of a doctored presentation is the Panorama from John Ware on alleged anti-semitism in Labour.

Scroll down to read the manifesto for change.
I do not agree with all of this, but it is a starting point for debate on a serious issue that undermines democracy as a matter of course.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 29, 2019, 06:41:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I think it definitely is biased towards the left and Remain, Question Time being a prime example. It is also biased in light entertainment with left-wing programmes like HIGNFY.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/13/andrew-neil-attacks-bbc-left-wing-bias-comedy-shows/

That's because it's well known that everyone on the right has a shite sense of humour.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 29, 2019, 07:11:05 pm by Bentley Bullet »
....And you base that on Ian Hislop and Paul Merton having a good sense of humour?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, I see what you did there! You were joking, weren't you! I'm a bit slow tonight!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 29, 2019, 08:31:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I wouldn't know BB. I never watch that.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 29, 2019, 08:32:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I'm more comparing Jim Davidson to Stewart Lee.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 29, 2019, 08:35:55 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Ah you mean one's a comedian and the other one's Stewart Lee? Which ones Paul Merton?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 29, 2019, 08:36:16 pm by scawsby steve »
....And you base that on Ian Hislop and Paul Merton having a good sense of humour?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, I see what you did there! You were joking, weren't you! I'm a bit slow tonight!

Dead right BB. Modern day left wing alternative comedians are about as funny as toothache. They should seriously look at some videos of people like Eric Morecambe, Eric Sykes, Tony Hancock, Tommy Cooper, and Ken Dodd. Then they'll be seeing comedy genius.   

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 29, 2019, 08:43:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Christ, it's like Capstick Comes Home in real life.

Do you yearn for the days of the Great Pea Soupers SS?

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 29, 2019, 08:45:21 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
If I remember correctly, in an interview some years ago Ian Hislop said he’d voted for all 3 major parties over the years but had most recently voted Lib Dem. Paul Merton refused to say, however he did say that Right Wing politicians and comedians make better presenters!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 29, 2019, 08:48:44 pm by scawsby steve »
Christ, it's like Capstick Comes Home in real life.

Do you yearn for the days of the Great Pea Soupers SS?

Come on BST. You're not even trying now.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 29, 2019, 09:50:19 pm by BigH »
BBC political journalists have been stealing a living for the past three years.

The reliance on vox-pop crapheads to fill out programme time is beyond a joke. Yes that's you Nicky Campbell and Emma Barnett.

Newsnight. Give me a break. For two years, the only Brexiters you had on were ERG-ist morons. Dead from the neck up. Redwood, Jenkin, Lilley and Bridgen. Like there weren't any other of the 310 Tory MPs who had an opinion.

And we all pay for this b*llocks.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 29, 2019, 09:58:31 pm by drfchound »
To be fair, no one forces you to watch it BigH.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 29, 2019, 10:13:06 pm by BigH »
You're right. But, like you, I have to pay for it!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 29, 2019, 10:14:51 pm by wilts rover »

That may be what you think but I think you are wrong. More importantly so does this bloke and he counted up the political affiliation of the panelists on Andrew Neil's Sunday Politics to prove it.

Sorry the chart isn't that clear, it is a still from a video, but the bars are: Left, Centre and Right

The video is good fun btw https://skwawkbox.org/2018/07/02/brilliant-94-second-video-lays-out-bbcs-pro-right-bias-for-all-to-see/

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 29, 2019, 10:15:17 pm by tommy toes »
Ah you mean one's a comedian and the other one's Stewart Lee? Which ones Paul Merton?

Stewart Lee and Mark Steel are the only comedians I've paid to see this year.
Both were brilliant.

Though Tony Hancock and Eric Sykes were great too.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on November 29, 2019, 10:21:42 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Thing is Tommy, the only thing a Remainer like you will find funny about Stewart Lee is when he says the word Brexiter. Substitute the word 'Brexiter' for 'Remainer' and you wouldn't find him funny.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on November 29, 2019, 10:23:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Not really the point Hound. The BBC is supposed to be impartial AND investigative, but their political coverage has been shocking for several years.

It's not good enough to say "you don't have to watch it". It's role is to be the main source of unbiased and incisive news.

The issue that gets me about the BBC news is the regularity that you see someone from the Institute of Economic Affairs being invited on to give their opinion, and being introduced as from a "think tank". Which gives the impression that they are impartial researchers. But they are not. They are a lobby group for ultra-neoliberal economics, and they refuse to say who funds their £20m+ per year costs. They should be introduced as such.

Then there's the obsession with faux balance. So they've frequently had a climate scientist on the news, discussing global warming, followed by Nigel f**king Lawson, who is paid by oil companies to scuttle off round the world saying that the scientific evidence of global warming is wrong.

That's batshit "balance" in anyone's book. It has the feel of the BBC execs being strongarmed by the REAL elite in this country.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 29, 2019, 10:32:11 pm by tommy toes »
BB
I first saw and appreciated Lee's humourous take on life long before Brexit was a twinkle in your blinkered eye.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on November 29, 2019, 10:35:03 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I've never heard Lee use the word Brexiter, so I'd have to take your word on that BB.

He did a decent piece on Top Gear though.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DK7CnMQ4L9Pc&ved=2ahUKEwiBiZukvJDmAhUQYcAKHcI_CQAQwqsBMAB6BAgKEAU&usg=AOvVaw2XNqcLmKFcXHDWG19z6HII

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on November 29, 2019, 10:44:34 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Even if the BBC or any other news outlet for that matter is completely accurate with its reporting it is still often unfair. The same applies even right down to this forum. Stories of someone being portrayed only in a negative light and completely ignoring any positives they might have is unfair, as is only talking of positives in someone and ignoring the negatives.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on November 29, 2019, 10:47:54 pm by Bentley Bullet »
BB
I first saw and appreciated Lee's humourous take on life long before Brexit was a twinkle in your blinkered eye.

Well he might have been good before Brexit, TT, but he was rubbish on the Youtube set I've seen since.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on November 29, 2019, 10:59:07 pm by wilts rover »
Even if the BBC or any other news outlet for that matter is completely accurate with its reporting it is still often unfair. The same applies even right down to this forum. Stories of someone being portrayed only in a negative light and completely ignoring any positives they might have is unfair, as is only talking of positives in someone and ignoring the negatives.

Scrolls through BB's posts looking for positive comments about Jeremy Corbyn and Diane Abbott. I may be a while.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012