Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 01:59:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Shit but we loved them XI  (Read 8494 times)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Shit but we loved them XI
« Reply #60 on December 10, 2019, 01:22:30 pm by NickDRFC »
Carl Alford !! He was a crock

No one loved Carl Alford. Opposition fans maybe but not any of our own.

My memory was that the crowd were actively sucking the ball into the net for him every time he played, but he was dire and only scored one goal in his time. Think he got mega support from the fans all the way through. Whereas Justin Jackson arrived with a similar reputation, outscored him by some distance but was universally scorned by the fans.

Aye the fans were very supportive of him but I’d still say there’s a world of difference between being supported and being loved.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on December 10, 2019, 01:26:08 pm by Canadian Rover »
Kevin Hulme

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on December 10, 2019, 01:53:26 pm by Retdon1 »
Mark Wilson

Fez1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on December 10, 2019, 02:12:18 pm by Fez1879 »
Harvey Cunningham for me

RedRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on December 10, 2019, 02:41:23 pm by RedRover »
Gregg Blundell. Of all the front men we'd thrown money at in the Conference years, Gregg with his funny run and unathletic build, had no right to score as many goals or be the success he did. The fact he did is probably testament to how whiley Paul Barnes alongside him was in that first and and how good our other attacking players were around that time.

I remember him playing against us for Northwich Victoria at Belle Vue (he possibly scored) prior to signing him and he wasn't even the best front man of theirs on display, they had an over weight lad up front with him who was the brains and footballer of the 2, Blundell just ran and ran and ran, chasing lost causes and hounding our defense into mistakes.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 02:45:21 pm by RedRover »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on December 10, 2019, 02:55:26 pm by NickDRFC »
Gregg Blundell. Of all the front men we'd thrown money at in the Conference years, Gregg with his funny run and unathletic build, had no right to score as many goals or be the success he did. The fact he did is probably testament to how whiley Paul Barnes alongside him was in that first and and how good our other attacking players were around that time.

I remember him playing against us for Northwich Victoria at Belle Vue (he possibly scored) prior to signing him and he wasn't even the best front man of theirs on display, they had an over weight lad up front with him who was the brains and footballer of the 2, Blundell just ran and ran and ran, chasing lost causes and hounding our defense into mistakes.

Think you might be misremembering things RedRover, Blundell signed in about April of our conference promotion season and Barnes left only a few weeks into the new season. They probably only started a handful of games together, if that. Blundell’s success was alongside big Leo.

RedRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on December 10, 2019, 03:13:40 pm by RedRover »
NickDRFC 

Doesn't look like I misremembered, looks like I was simply wrong potentially crediting Paul with getting the best out of Gregg as they didn't play much together but then I had typed probably so wasn't certain. I am certain Gregg was shit, at least techically but that a large majority of the support at that time had taken to him. I couldn't see past the high elbowed funny run that would of made him look out place on most pitches outside of Sunday league but his goal record for us is undeniable though.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 03:20:38 pm by RedRover »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on December 10, 2019, 03:55:57 pm by drfchound »
Scott Maxfield   , again shit is too strong a term  but as a fellow Thorne lad  I desperately wanted him to be better than he was

His dad was a better player than Scott was.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on December 10, 2019, 04:33:58 pm by Chris Black come back »
Joe Laidlaw

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on December 10, 2019, 04:44:25 pm by Drover »
Mark Albrighton - he really was a pretty average player but fans loved his effort.

There have been some daft suggestions on this thread but reckons this trumps the lot. Never heard a Rovers fan call the Sarge shit.

Not to his face anyway!  ;)

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on December 10, 2019, 09:23:16 pm by Nudga »
Carl Alford !! He was a crock

No one loved Carl Alford. Opposition fans maybe but not any of our own.

My memory was that the crowd were actively sucking the ball into the net for him every time he played, but he was dire and only scored one goal in his time. Think he got mega support from the fans all the way through. Whereas Justin Jackson arrived with a similar reputation, outscored him by some distance but was universally scorned by the fans.

That's  because he was a Kitson. I told him so after chatting with him one night.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on December 10, 2019, 10:23:32 pm by rich1471 »
Steve Harper all he did was point and stand still and Paul Malcolm i know he broke his leg but he was rubbish as a keeper 

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on December 10, 2019, 10:45:14 pm by BobG »
Joe Laidlaw? Plumptious by the time he got to BV, but shit? Hardly. Ex First Division player. Even if he was shit there (which he wasn't) dropping 3 divisions ought to have been enough.

And Paul Malcolm? He's the guy who saved the same penalty three times away at Rochdale. He was always loved after that. I can't remember how otherwise good or bad he was though.

BobG

DD

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on December 10, 2019, 10:47:32 pm by DD »
Come on everyone - still no one worse than Bingham!!!!! He is simply the worst! Shit of the shit - if anyone disagrees please tell me why!!!!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on December 10, 2019, 10:58:01 pm by drfchound »
I am not saying that I disagree DD but I remember some posters saying how much better than Thomas he was after the Wimbledon replay when he came on and scored the second goal.
Oddly enough, the same was said about Thomas when he replaced Bingham in the last game.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 11:04:05 pm by drfchound »

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on December 10, 2019, 11:20:18 pm by Draytonian III »
Paul Malcolm was the goalie who’s career was finished with a coming together with Richard O Kelly playing for Grimsby. Gazza played in his testimonial. Paul Crichton saved the penalties at Rochdale

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on December 11, 2019, 12:14:41 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Being shit and being loved is a rare combination. That's why I went for Colin Sutherland who wasn't blessed as a footballer but certainly went over the top on occasion for the cause endearing himself to the fans. Almost elevated to legendary status for his antics at Rushden & Diamonds with the off the ball punch!

Another perhaps who didn't perform on a regular basis but will live on in the memories for that goal at BV in the play off semi first leg. Yes, Tristam Whitman.

As they say, everyone loves a trier, as said above, Theo Street being a good shout!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on December 11, 2019, 12:20:15 am by RoversAlias »
Tris Whitman, definitely. Always popular for his youthful spirit but, that Chester goal aside, someone who contributed little and didn't have much of a career afterwards.

gillinghamrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on December 11, 2019, 02:18:31 am by gillinghamrover »
Neil Campbell?
Clown shoes is a great shout!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gillinghamrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on December 11, 2019, 02:20:46 am by gillinghamrover »
Justin Jackson, Mike Newell

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on December 11, 2019, 09:06:01 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Justin Jackson, Mike Newell

Neither loved.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on December 11, 2019, 10:43:58 am by Campsall rover »
Alan Little.
Never forget that drop ball when he demolished his Halifax Town opponent.

washyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on December 11, 2019, 11:08:22 am by washyrover »
Easy for Dennis.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on December 11, 2019, 12:33:14 pm by ctay »
Nick Fenton is a good shout.

I use to love Garry Kimble, but in reflection I think he was crap.

The fans were desperate for both Alford and Jackson to be the goal machine we craved for years. Both were crap and both were absolute tools.

I cannot believe someone mentioned Tim Ryan!

Others that get a mention:
Gk  Mark Samways
DF Ronnie Robinson
M Max Nicholson
F Peter Hertitage, Neil Campbell (AKA Pele)

richtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on December 11, 2019, 12:47:32 pm by richtherover »
This thread has gone off course. If we were listing the worst Rovers players of all time it would be endless but we're not. Alan Little shit? Probably one of the most popular and influential players we've had. John Regan was a massive crowd favourite but was, well, shit. Terry Austin was welcomed as a hero, you know the rest. Even Adie Mike was given the red carpet treatment but turned out to be dire. I personally think Lee Warren deserves a medal for the crap he had to put up with and his devotion to the cause. Players are loved if they give their all, like Steve Nicol, legend. All I want from any player who pulls on the Rovers shirt is to give 100%. Even if they are shite!
RTID

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on December 11, 2019, 01:33:55 pm by Campsall rover »
This thread has gone off course. If we were listing the worst Rovers players of all time it would be endless but we're not. Alan Little shit? Probably one of the most popular and influential players we've had. John Regan was a massive crowd favourite but was, well, shit. Terry Austin was welcomed as a hero, you know the rest. Even Adie Mike was given the red carpet treatment but turned out to be dire. I personally think Lee Warren deserves a medal for the crap he had to put up with and his devotion to the cause. Players are loved if they give their all, like Steve Nicol, legend. All I want from any player who pulls on the Rovers shirt is to give 100%. Even if they are shite!
RTID
No Alan Little wasn’t shit. What i was referring to was the drop ball when he missed the ball and cleaned the man out.
Think your over reacting a little don’t you think. No pun intended.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 01:44:39 pm by Campsall rover »

DD

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on December 11, 2019, 05:54:16 pm by DD »
DBR - re Colin Sutherland at Rushden..........you need your eyes testing - that was just a "love tap"...a "mark of appreciation"...lets face it the ref appreciated it as such!!! Belter!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on December 11, 2019, 06:51:50 pm by BobG »
He wasn't crap but neither was he all that good. But I loved Psycho Sutherland to pieces. A total legend of a man. I'd still pay to watch him play. If he was a bit less good than he was, he'd win this competition hands down. Wasn't crap enough though! Remember that first goal in the first Endsleigh cup final? Town End against Farnborough in front of 8,000 people. :):):)

BobG

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on December 11, 2019, 07:33:28 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Garry Kimble
Steve Gaughan 
Richard Dawson
Nev Chamberlain
Andy Kawolski
Mark Miller (though he had immense thighs)
Willie Boyd
Carl Swan
Steve Harper

Edit
Hugh Dowd

« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 07:36:33 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on December 11, 2019, 07:48:23 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Paul Malcolm was the goalie who’s career was finished with a coming together with Richard O Kelly playing for Grimsby. Gazza played in his testimonial. Paul Crichton saved the penalties at Rochdale

I remember Paul Malcolm getting sent off at Rotherham for booting their forward up the arse!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012