Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 01:11:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: What will this government do about climate change?  (Read 3752 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
What will this government do about climate change?
« on December 15, 2019, 12:30:18 am by SydneyRover »
An existential threat to the world, the health of your kids their kids, a threat to your home, flooded out, insurance too expensive. Food and clean water will increase in cost. Australia is in severe drought with wild fires here the US and Europe, peat fires in UK national parks. Erosion of coastline the list couldn't be more dramatic.

http://theconversation.com/what-boris-johnsons-government-needs-to-do-to-show-it-is-serious-on-climate-change-128885

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Re: What will this government do about climate change?
« Reply #1 on December 15, 2019, 02:57:05 pm by scawsby steve »
An existential threat to the world, the health of your kids their kids, a threat to your home, flooded out, insurance too expensive. Food and clean water will increase in cost. Australia is in severe drought with wild fires here the US and Europe, peat fires in UK national parks. Erosion of coastline the list couldn't be more dramatic.

http://theconversation.com/what-boris-johnsons-government-needs-to-do-to-show-it-is-serious-on-climate-change-128885

Never mind what the Government is doing about it Sydney, what are YOU doing about it? I mean, look at me; I no longer smoke, no longer run a car, and no longer use airlines.

You have to admit, my carbon footprint is practically non-existent. Is your's?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 15, 2019, 03:59:52 pm by drfchound »
Steve, if his darlings had won on Thursday this thread wouldn’t be on here.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 15, 2019, 04:18:31 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Is every developed country on board with 2050 date of net zero carbon emissions? We are a very small fish when you consider America and China what they do to the environment.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 15, 2019, 04:27:03 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I'm not sure why people with such strong and dedicated to the cause views don't put into practise the principles they preach.

https://medium.com/wedonthavetime/guest-blog-post-the-alarming-environmental-impact-of-the-internet-and-how-you-can-help-6ff892b8730d

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 15, 2019, 04:42:33 pm by wilts rover »
Thanks Padge. I was looking for a reason to do nothing and now you have provided it for me.

Unfortunately though your attitude wont stop the ice caps melting. Which wont stop sea levels rising. Which wont stop a greater occurrence of flooding in low-level areas like Doncaster. Nor will it stop the rise in air pollution from noxious gases around our towns and cities - and the associated health problems they bring.

In answer to Sydney's OP I reckon the answer is not very much. Seeing how some of their major donors are connected with the fossil fuel industry (worldwide) and thus responsible for climate change. Perhaps Padge knows them?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservatives-general-election-campaign-fossil-fuel-climate-change-emergency-a9242016.html
https://www.desmog.co.uk/2019/11/25/revealed-super-wealthy-tory-donors-ties-climate-science-denial-and-fossil-fuels

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 15, 2019, 06:18:28 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Thanks Padge. I was looking for a reason to do nothing and now you have provided it for me.

Unfortunately though your attitude wont stop the ice caps melting. Which wont stop sea levels rising. Which wont stop a greater occurrence of flooding in low-level areas like Doncaster. Nor will it stop the rise in air pollution from noxious gases around our towns and cities - and the associated health problems they bring.

In answer to Sydney's OP I reckon the answer is not very much. Seeing how some of their major donors are connected with the fossil fuel industry (worldwide) and thus responsible for climate change. Perhaps Padge knows them?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservatives-general-election-campaign-fossil-fuel-climate-change-emergency-a9242016.html
https://www.desmog.co.uk/2019/11/25/revealed-super-wealthy-tory-donors-ties-climate-science-denial-and-fossil-fuels

I'm all for stopping climate change. It annoys me just at work he now have 2 bins on each floor. 1 for recycling and literally anything is thrown in either lazily.

The attitude of China and America means they are going to ruin the world.

It also sounds like Brazil and India don't give a shit either after today!

Ban on petrol and diesel cars is too late IMO as well.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 15, 2019, 08:38:28 pm by bpoolrover »
I'm not sure why people with such strong and dedicated to the cause views don't put into practise the principles they preach.

https://medium.com/wedonthavetime/guest-blog-post-the-alarming-environmental-impact-of-the-internet-and-how-you-can-help-6ff892b8730d
it’s surprising how come no one answered your post really as we all use the internet so much

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 15, 2019, 08:43:12 pm by drfchound »
The forum has been a lot quieter than usual tonight though.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 15, 2019, 08:48:40 pm by SydneyRover »
Did you bp?

I do whan I can where I can but responsibility for the direction of the country lies with the 'leader' to bring and implement policy the the country can folow that but bring it to a carbon neutral position. Its policy on renewables, mining, waste, transport etc that will decide the future.

Think of it like the the head/s of the household if the head of the household drinks, smokes and gambles it's more than likely that the kids will too.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 15, 2019, 09:02:36 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Did you bp?

I do whan I can where I can but responsibility for the direction of the country lies with the 'leader' to bring and implement policy the the country can folow that but bring it to a carbon neutral position. Its policy on renewables, mining, waste, transport etc that will decide the future.

Think of it like the the head/s of the household if the head of the household drinks, smokes and gambles it's more than likely that the kids will too.

Sorry but I cant agree, responsibility is on everyone. If the leader jumped off a bridge you wouldn't follow.

I think we all have a responsibility to think and act.  I also think business has a huge responsibility to be sustainable.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 15, 2019, 09:10:07 pm by bpoolrover »
Did you bp?

yes I did and to a point you are right Sydney I personally am trying to do a bit more, but like everyone else need to do more, but whatever boris says or corbyn would have said is not going to change things unless every person takes responsibility not just relying on a leader putting things in place

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 15, 2019, 09:34:22 pm by Sprotyrover »
Did you bp?

yes I did and to a point you are right Sydney I personally am trying to do a bit more, but like everyone else need to do more, but whatever boris says or corbyn would have said is not going to change things unless every person takes responsibility not just relying on a leader putting things in place
[/quote
Sadly we are a very small fish when it comes to pollution,China,India,Philippines, Brazil, the US all seem to be carrying on regardless.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 15, 2019, 09:54:58 pm by SydneyRover »
Did you bp?

Sorry but I cant agree, responsibility is on everyone. If the leader jumped off a bridge you wouldn't follow.

I think we all have a responsibility to think and act.  I also think business has a huge responsibility to be sustainable.

Where did I say it wasn't bfyp?

So what was all the fuss about Corbyn  :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 02:47:51 am by SydneyRover »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 15, 2019, 10:50:13 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Boris has already alleviated the devastating threat of Corbyn Monoxide. 

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 15, 2019, 10:54:14 pm by DonnyOsmond »

it’s surprising how come no one answered your post really as we all use the internet so much

It's surprising how no one's answered the question that is the title of the thread.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 16, 2019, 01:29:51 pm by foxbat »
Its a simple answer - NOWT .

Fracking to start again ASAP to resume lining the public schoolboy's pockets

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 16, 2019, 01:56:45 pm by Axholme Lion »
I've done my bit and am awaiting delivery of a new 4x4.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 16, 2019, 05:16:33 pm by i_ateallthepies »
The Capitalists won't change anything.  It's plainly obvious we are on the road to hell.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 16, 2019, 06:14:33 pm by Sprotyrover »
The gift that keeps giving, here is our contribution to climate change!

My nephew is doing a renewable energy degree at Brighton University he told me that the North Sea is a superb location for wind power production and he stated last month that by 2050 The North Sea would be Providing 40% of Europes Power.
This week the Crown Estate auctioned off licenses to power companies to develop Dogger Bank,that has generated a nice windfall (cough cough) for the treasury. Also this week it was announced that the price of wind power development has fallen by two thirds to £40 per Watt/ hour Hinckley point is costing roughly £80 an hour.this means that future development of the North Sea wind power industry will not cost us the U.K. Taxpayer a single penny what it means in real terms
Is that by 2045 The North Sea wind power hub will be producing enough electrics to supply 126 million homes! There are currently 25 million homes in the U.K.
So as far as I'm concerned roll on Brexit!
If the Jocks want to go let them! Although they would be daft to do so!
Same for the Welsh! . Stay in the Union and help us 'Milk' the EU! The remainder of the Eu can pay through the nose for their electricity!

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on December 16, 2019, 06:23:02 pm by i_ateallthepies »
The north sea doesn't belong to us Sporty.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 16, 2019, 06:34:22 pm by selby »
 Axholme Lion, I am the same as you buddy, just bought two add blue diesel top of the range cars, pre registered 70 miles on the clock one month old half price. Well you have to don't you? the poor old car sales men are starving, and the saving 2 for the price of one buys a lot of diesel.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 16, 2019, 07:17:21 pm by Sprotyrover »
I think you will find that Dogger Bank is owned by the Crown estate.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 16, 2019, 07:23:50 pm by Sprotyrover »
There you go mate:

Seabed ownership and rights
Ownership of the seabed and sovereign rights
The seabed to 12 nautical miles is largely owned by the Crown and managed on its behalf by the Crown Estate Commissioners as is much of the foreshore. The remainder is in a mixture of public and private ownership.

Beyond the 12 nautical mile limit the seabed is ownerless but various government bodies have sovereign rights over marine resources to the edge of the continental shelf and the 200 nautical mile limit (the exclusive economic zone). The Department for Energy and Climate Change have responsibility for oil and gas, and the Crown Estate for offshore wind.

Under s 40 of the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006 public bodies such as the Crown Estate have a duty to have regard for the conservation of biodiversity in exercising their functions, which would include exercising their ownership function.

The ownership of the UK’s marine fishing rights has not been confirmed by statute but under the common law is regarded as owned by the Crown on behalf of the public.

Legislation
United Nations Convention on the Laws of the Sea II

The Crown Estate Act 1961

The Continental Shelf Act 1964

The Territorial Sea Act 1987

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 16, 2019, 07:41:41 pm by wilts rover »

I think you will find it isn't - according to the company developing the wind farms
https://doggerbank.com/

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on December 17, 2019, 10:07:54 am by Axholme Lion »
There you go mate:

Seabed ownership and rights
Ownership of the seabed and sovereign rights
The seabed to 12 nautical miles is largely owned by the Crown and managed on its behalf by the Crown Estate Commissioners as is much of the foreshore. The remainder is in a mixture of public and private ownership.

Beyond the 12 nautical mile limit the seabed is ownerless but various government bodies have sovereign rights over marine resources to the edge of the continental shelf and the 200 nautical mile limit (the exclusive economic zone). The Department for Energy and Climate Change have responsibility for oil and gas, and the Crown Estate for offshore wind.

Under s 40 of the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006 public bodies such as the Crown Estate have a duty to have regard for the conservation of biodiversity in exercising their functions, which would include exercising their ownership function.

The ownership of the UK’s marine fishing rights has not been confirmed by statute but under the common law is regarded as owned by the Crown on behalf of the public.

Legislation
United Nations Convention on the Laws of the Sea II

The Crown Estate Act 1961

The Continental Shelf Act 1964

The Territorial Sea Act 1987

If we had a decent sized Navy we could take as much of the sea as we wanted to. Who's going to do anything about it?

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on December 17, 2019, 04:54:38 pm by i_ateallthepies »

Was my post too long for your limited attention span, Sproty?  If so, I'll take the trouble to help you out, I said THE NORTH SEA.  Or does the north sea only extend to twelve miles from our coast?

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 17, 2019, 04:55:43 pm by Sprotyrover »

It's surprising how no one's answered the question that is the title of the thread.
You need to ask that question to some one inGovernment!

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 17, 2019, 05:14:36 pm by Sprotyrover »

Was my post too long for your limited attention span, Sproty?  If so, I'll take the trouble to help you out, I said THE NORTH SEA.  Or does the north sea only extend to twelve miles from our coast?

Dont' like the tone of your post mate!
Here is a map of what we own.
https://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/images/planning/offshore.gif

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 17, 2019, 05:19:07 pm by Sprotyrover »

I think you will find it isn't - according to the company developing the wind farms
https://doggerbank.com/

The Goverment has sold development licences as per this
Dogger Bank Wind Farm is a proposed group of offshore wind farms to be located between 125 to 290 kilometres (78 to 180 mi) off the east coast of Yorkshire, in the North Sea, England.[1] It is being developed by the Forewind consortium. It is expected that the Dogger Bank development will consist of four offshore wind farms, each with a capacity of up to 1.2 GW, creating a combined capacity of 4.8 GW. Planning consent for the first phase of the project (Creyke Beck A and Creyke Beck B) was granted by the UK government in February 2015, and consent for the second phase (Teesside A and Teesside B) was granted in August 2015.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012