Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 05:32:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: He's got to go  (Read 15802 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: He's got to go
« Reply #90 on December 23, 2019, 01:27:12 pm by RoversAlias »
It shouldn't even be up for debate how well Dieng commands the area. He's light years ahead of Lawlor in that aspect of the game and probably the best keeper I've seen at Rovers for it. I don't think he's put a foot wrong since he came into the side.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on December 23, 2019, 01:50:27 pm by Campsall rover »
Deing commands his penalty are better than any goalkeeper we have had since Sully and even that is up for debate. I include Sam Johnstone in that list as Deing only punches the ball when he has no other option.

So for me on crosses, he is the best or equal best with Sully since i started watching Rovers in 1975.

He is probably the best since Harry Gregg in that aspect of his game.
Any one who saw Rovers in the 60’s with another Keeper to mention?
Over to you Selby (Brian) or hound (Graham) etc etc.

Sorry this should be a different thread really.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 02:03:06 pm by Campsall rover »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on December 23, 2019, 01:52:31 pm by selby »
The striker position is not the best, Bingham i have reservations about extending, Thomas I definitely would. my opinion of course others would disagree.
   The problem of a bull headed centre half that cost us two points against Burton, a point at Wycombe, and a point at Wimbledon, with stupid challenges in each case has been overlooked, and the fact we need to score two goals every game because we cannot keep a clean sheet at the back, mainly because of stupid individual mistakes being made, and are overlooked, and supporters are singling out the wrong perpetrators, in some cases because of the fact they came from non league, and were tarnished before they kicked a ball for us in some cases.
 While our ball retention and passing improves in mid field, whoever we play up front will struggle, it is as simple as that. On Saturday we constantly lost possession going forward, and Wimbledon Wycombe, Gillingham and Accrington based their game to expose this weakness, and hit us on the counter attack when in possession, and flood bodies in midfield when we have the ball, with four at the back, and if need be commit a cynical tactical foul if caught short of numbers.
  Quicker more direct play is our problem, which is needed to give the front players a chance.  I am all for us signing better players, but fail to see if things are not put right in other areas how forwards feeding off scraps will do any better.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on December 23, 2019, 01:56:16 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I agree that he shouldn’t just jump in and buy for the sake of it. What I do think is this transfer window will say a lot about his ability and his contacts in football. I’d like to think he has mates / ex workmates at bigger clubs than us who would allow players out on loan
I can’t judge how we are playing I’ve not been this year   Reading a lot of comments on here it doesn’t seem to be good to view
I’ve said it before and I stick by it. The best managers are the ones that can see a player and develop them.  If I’m to believe what I read on here there hasn’t been any improvement in any of the players and the football is dire
January is so important if he can get good players in then we can still dream. 

That's the one point about DM's stewardship to date that does worry me, Copps aside I don't think anyone is performing to their potential and what followed his subbing on Saturday was probably predicted by every Rovers' fan in the ground.
The football too has indeed been dire for much of the time, although ironically we did show a few moments of really nice play against Accy, most (predictably) involving Copps.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on December 23, 2019, 02:31:10 pm by Draytonian III »
And you replace DM with who ? All the managers that are available are out of work and why are they out of work ?

Batleyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on December 23, 2019, 03:02:51 pm by Batleyred »
Spoilt kids at Christmas most of the doom merchants are, i want it done now followed by a tantrum at the keyboard  :crying: :crying: :crying:

We are Donny Rovers not Real Madrid, i just think back to the ninties and am just glad we have the board we now have. Just look at the mess of Bury and just be thankful we are still competing in league one. Things will get better i am sure of that.

Id dread to think if some of the doom merchants had money to put into a football club, we would be bankrupt before the season starts.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on December 23, 2019, 03:24:12 pm by Chris Black come back »
Been saying this for ages now. Dieng is just what we have needed for a few seasons. Crosses and balls into box were a perennial weakness and this lad excels there. So good that I had forgotten it was a problem!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 04:26:40 pm by Chris Black come back »

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on December 23, 2019, 03:48:01 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Just to be clear so that my earlier posts don't get me grouped with the "doom merchants" I completely agree with an earlier post saying we should only be coming to conclusions about DM as manager if we're in this position in twelve months time, I am also 100% in support of (and forever grateful for) the way our club is run and financed by the owners.
Nevertheless our recent form will inevitably give rise to concern amongst the 'I want it now' folk amongst us and debates such as we have here are inevitable.
So, as I said above, for me there are aspects of the way we perform that give rise to concern on my part about DM's management but you won't see me shouting for his head until we see what he does with the next two transfer windows.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on December 23, 2019, 04:19:05 pm by drfchound »
January window is huge. Too early to call for Moore's head, but things are very poor at the moment. This is how I see it- Bingham and Daniels need to go. I'd say the same with Thomas if we could get a striker in although really we need at least 2. We also need a Central midfielder with a bit of venom. Sheaf for me can also go unless he is used for Centre back cover. He is not the Midfielder we need. Dieng is probably our best keeper at the moment but I feel he still falls short of what we've had in the recent past (He's OK as a shot stopper and calm, but I think he doesn't read the game or command his area) and I'd be inclined to give Jones a try as we've not seen what he can do. I'd have been for signing Dieng until recently but now I'm on the fence. Would be happy with extending his loan for rest of season if his current runs until Jan) An extra Central defender would not go a miss as Daniels needs replacing and we need someone if injuries continue to be a problem. 4 decent players minimum, Maybe 5.

Don't know which of our recent past keepers you're remembering, Dave but neither of them commanded their area anything like Dieng does.

I'm inclined to agree with that. Just using Saturday as an example there were a number of crosses he came out for, plus he has a tendency to catch/claim the ball rather than punch.

You can add me to the list of people who think that Dieng DOES command his area.
He is also our best at playing the ball with his feet.
He can play long balls too with good accuracy.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on December 23, 2019, 04:32:11 pm by selby »
  Hound, I can remember being brought to task when suggesting that Dieng was a better keeper than Lawlor like Daniels another player who has cost us points this season with poor simple avoidable mistakes.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on December 23, 2019, 04:38:46 pm by Chris Black come back »
Squad has more than average quota of players with a mistake in them. Lawlor, Daniels, Wright, Sheaf all have a booboo lurking round the corner.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on December 23, 2019, 04:49:40 pm by Campsall rover »
Squad has more than average quota of players with a mistake in them. Lawlor, Daniels, Wright, Sheaf all have a booboo lurking round the corner.
How many footballers never make a costly mistake.

The worst mistakes this season for us apart from Daniels penalty clangers have been at the other end of the pitch. We have missed some sitters.
Ennis, Thomas, Bingham, Taylor, Sadlier, Whiteman, May, & Blair all have been culprits.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on December 23, 2019, 05:17:44 pm by drfchound »
  Hound, I can remember being brought to task when suggesting that Dieng was a better keeper than Lawlor like Daniels another player who has cost us points this season with poor simple avoidable mistakes.

Selby, I’m not sure if you are saying that Dieng or Lawlor have cost us points with avoidable mistakes.
However, I certainly feel more comfortable when Dieng is between the sticks.
As Campsalll has alluded to though, missed chances at the other end have also cost us points, probably more in fact.

Back to the keepers though, even the best drop clangers, look at DeGay against Watford for example.
Goalkeeping errors often end up with a goal conceded.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on December 23, 2019, 05:27:11 pm by adamtherover »
It shouldn't even be up for debate how well Dieng commands the area. He's light years ahead of Lawlor in that aspect of the game and probably the best keeper I've seen at Rovers for it. I don't think he's put a foot wrong since he came into the side.
His decision in the 94th minute with the ball at his feet, not to hoof it but to try a crauff turn and luckily the ball spun out of play after deflecting off the striker instead of in the back of the net must go down as a major error of judgement!!

streathamdave

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on December 23, 2019, 07:12:29 pm by streathamdave »
Dieng has good qualities as I mentioned above. I think to clarify I'd like him to be more vocal with the defence. Not a major tweak, but something that I feel would help him and the defence. Small margins could mean a lot this season I feel.  More of a bug bear of mine is him coming too far off his line watching our attacks. I've seen him do this numerous times and to the extent that he does it I'd really rather he didn't. It can far too easily cost us. In the FA Cup match that we recently lost Vs AFC Wimbledon he was way out of his area when they hoofed it up field. I've just watched it back and he's well in his nets before they shoot and score their second (winning) goal but it can't have helped that he had to run back so far beforehand. On the video highlights only the end of him running back is shown as the camera focuses upon the other players in the build up. Anyway, It's all about opinions and even if you disagree with me (as I expect many of you will) we are all Rovers. I'd be happy to see Dieng extend if needed just not sure on the permanent signing that some have suggested. Anyway, Merry Christmas to you all. RTID :santa:

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on December 23, 2019, 07:14:43 pm by drfchound »
Dieng has good qualities as I mentioned above. I think to clarify I'd like him to be more vocal with the defence. Not a major tweak, but something that I feel would help him and the defence. Small margins could mean a lot this season I feel.  More of a bug bear of mine is him coming too far off his line watching our attacks. I've seen him do this numerous times and to the extent that he does it I'd really rather he didn't. It can far too easily cost us. In the FA Cup match that we recently lost Vs AFC Wimbledon he was way out of his area when they hoofed it up field. I've just watched it back and he's well in his nets before they shoot and score their second (winning) goal but it can't have helped that he had to run back so far beforehand. On the video highlights only the end of him running back is shown as the camera focuses upon the other players in the build up. Anyway, It's all about opinions and even if you disagree with me (as I expect many of you will) we are all Rovers. I'd be happy to see Dieng extend if needed just not sure on the permanent signing that some have suggested. Anyway, Merry Christmas to you all. RTID :santa:

Same to you sir.    :scarf: :scarf:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on December 23, 2019, 08:38:10 pm by selby »
  Hound if you look back at my postings I was arguing on here Dieng was the better keeper after seeing him in two EFL trophy games, Lawlor for me had constantly made some poor mistakes over his two seasons here, and had not improved at all dealing with crosses.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on December 23, 2019, 08:58:50 pm by drfchound »
Hi mate, sorry, I don’t usually bother trawling back over peoples posts.
However I do agree with your point of view on the two keepers.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on December 26, 2019, 09:57:37 pm by since-1969 »
I'll be the first........I'd get rid of Moore now....simply not good enough. This is relegation form. I wrote about my concerns several weeks ago - nothing has changed - sorry, things have got worse.
Needs to get rid of Bingham, Thomas (tried but not good enough), Gomez, Daniels, Sheaf (bench at best), May, Kiwomya....
I have no confidence in Moore at all. His comments in the press & interviews are weak & repetitive.
It won't happen because the board seem to be lacking some direction & purpose at the moment.
We are in troubled waters!
Na Na Na Na Naaa!! Posh 0- 3 Rovers

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on December 27, 2019, 04:34:14 am by roversdude »
Makes the OP seem exactly what it was .... full of sh1t wum

DD

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on December 29, 2019, 07:21:52 pm by DD »
Very very sadly the performance at peterboro was a "flash in the pan" then

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on December 29, 2019, 07:31:34 pm by Campsall rover »
We will see over the next 4/5 games won’t we.

I know it wasn’t a flash in the pan because we have only lost to Oxford & Wycombe both away who are currently in the top 8.

We didn’t play that well today because Sunderland were better than us on the day.
End of. Accept it & move on.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on December 29, 2019, 07:32:48 pm by selby »
  DD, I thought we were as good today as we were at Peterborough, But Sunderland were far superior to Peterborough as a team.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on December 29, 2019, 07:35:42 pm by drfchound »
Selby, I wasn’t at Peterbro but I honestly find it hard to believe that we were as good today as we were there.
Our passing today was generally poor and we were bullied from the off.
For the first half hour it was like watching an under fifteen steam against men.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on December 29, 2019, 07:36:05 pm by dickos1 »
I didn’t go to Peterborough but I’d be shocked if we won as few 2nd balls at Peterborough as we did today.
We had a lot of players having off days today with the exception of dieng, Taylor and possibly Anderson.
Surely we didn’t have 8 players underperforming at Peterborough

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on December 29, 2019, 08:06:42 pm by 5 on Tour »
With the exception of Sheaf I don’t think anyone played badly on Boxing Day. And his was only for the first half as he was at his best 2nd half.

Today it was Taylor, Dieng and Anderson dragging the rest through. I thought the difference in success for Wyke against Anderson vs Wright was massive. He had a chance when Wright was on him. He had next to no chance when it was Tom.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on December 29, 2019, 08:10:06 pm by drfchound »
If John is fit for Wednesday then he should partner Anderson and James should return to LB.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on December 29, 2019, 08:13:51 pm by Chris Black come back »
Just don’t see it with Joe Wright. He is a solid player but gets bullied too easily, passing is an absolute disaster zone and always has a mistake in his pocket.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on December 29, 2019, 08:15:14 pm by scawsby steve »
  DD, I thought we were as good today as we were at Peterborough, But Sunderland were far superior to Peterborough as a team.

F*cking hell Brian, I find that statement staggering. We were brilliant at Posh in every way, and absolutely dire today.

As regards Sunderland, they're just a big physical team to me, and were made to look better than they are by our abject display.

To me, Oxford are better than either Posh or Sunderland, and Wednesday will give us more of an idea of where we're really at.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 08:19:53 pm by scawsby steve »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on December 29, 2019, 08:30:59 pm by IDM »

Just like the great performances earlier in the season must have been.?

Jesus f**king h Christ on a bike..

TinyPortal © 2005-2012