Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 10:15:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Peterborough United game  (Read 7428 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Peterborough United game
« on December 22, 2019, 10:04:39 am by selby »
  A game we are going into as a team showing very little collective form,  being on the wrong end of poor referee and assistant referee decisions ( a clear penalty and an off side decision) costing us in the last two games, and the approach of the opposition sides, continually disrupting play, and allowed to continually get away with stopping the flow if the game and man handling players.
  And it works, we seem incapable of overcoming these tactics, and have lost the collective game a team needs to  overcome the opposition, giving the ball away regularly after one or two passes, which  we did not do when we were playing well.
  Peterborough on the other hand are pushing to get into the automatic promotion spots, are dangerous going forward  and have players in their team that are regular goal scorers, and a manager who will really want to put us to the sword.
  That is the big question to me though, what tactics and game plan will Peterborough employ, will they come out to play,  that could be dangerous only Oxford playing us off the park this season that way, or employ the disruptive game we struggle to overcome.
  Hopefully Whiteman will come back in the team, but I hope apart from him we keep changes to a minimum injuries allowing to our starting line up, which may not be every ones  desire but as much as poor form has cost us lately I feel continually  making changes has not helped either.
   So, Boxing day, can we get back on track with a good result? can we  hope for a change in both form and good luck?
  Lot's to be discussed about this game, please have your say.   

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Peterborough United game
« Reply #1 on December 22, 2019, 10:08:09 am by Metalmicky »
Can't say I'm over confident about this game - think anything other than a defeat will be a bonus.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 22, 2019, 10:10:32 am by DonnyOsmond »
2-0 to them. Roll on January.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 22, 2019, 10:23:33 am by Rovers91 »
Next 3 games Peterborough, Sunderland and Oxford cant see a goal never mind a win against them lot.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on December 22, 2019, 10:24:31 am by since-1969 »
In spite of results , I believe that the players are giving their best and its this that’s keeping them from loosing every game . We need a proven goal score and a midfielder who can mix it . But I doubt January will resolve this unless it’s a player that’s surplus  and at this stage of the season who gets rid of decent players cheap !!

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 22, 2019, 10:33:21 am by Retdon1 »
  A game we are going into as a team showing very little collective form,  being on the wrong end of poor referee and assistant referee decisions ( a clear penalty and an off side decision) costing us in the last two games, and the approach of the opposition sides, continually disrupting play, and allowed to continually get away with stopping the flow if the game and man handling players.
  And it works, we seem incapable of overcoming these tactics, and have lost the collective game a team needs to  overcome the opposition, giving the ball away regularly after one or two passes, which  we did not do when we were playing well.
  Peterborough on the other hand are pushing to get into the automatic promotion spots, are dangerous going forward  and have players in their team that are regular goal scorers, and a manager who will really want to put us to the sword.
  That is the big question to me though, what tactics and game plan will Peterborough employ, will they come out to play,  that could be dangerous only Oxford playing us off the park this season that way, or employ the disruptive game we struggle to overcome.
  Hopefully Whiteman will come back in the team, but I hope apart from him we keep changes to a minimum injuries allowing to our starting line up, which may not be every ones  desire but as much as poor form has cost us lately I feel continually  making changes has not helped either.
   So, Boxing day, can we get back on track with a good result? can we  hope for a change in both form and good luck?

Ennis has to start instead of Thomas... Gomez played pretty well yesterday and if Whiteman is fit it wouldn’t surprise me to see Sheaf dropped. He’s been poor lately and I lost count the amount of times he gave the ball away yesterday.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 22, 2019, 11:18:16 am by NickDRFC »
Completely agree with that retdon, I think Sheaf has really tailed off since his early season good form and if Gomes played well yesterday (I didn’t go but have read that he did alright and spoken to people there) then a spell on the bench might give Sheaf a kick up the backside.

Ennis too has to start if fit. There’s no doubting Thomas’ effort (see what I did there ;)) but for his size I don’t think he causes the physical problems that he should and technically he’s nowhere near the level we need. We’ve missed Ennis’ energy and harassment of defenders - if he’s fit he should be one of the first names on the team sheet for me despite not scoring many.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 12:04:44 pm by NickDRFC »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 22, 2019, 11:35:40 am by Chris Black come back »
If we can see a fit Ennis then all the players are back to replicate our form team of August and September. There is not much behind that XI granted but we can put an XI on the pitch that is more than good enough to be competitive against all three of our next opponents.

Dieng
James
Anderson
John
Halliday
Whiteman
Sheaf
Taylor
Copps
Sadlier
Ennis

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 22, 2019, 12:15:03 pm by NewDonny »
Ennis has to start, it gives the front three a more cohesive look and feel with Copps in the 10 to get us playing, Ennis's energy down the middle gives the wingers something to feed off other wise they are either trying to get onto balls over the top or receiving the ball with their backs to play down the line and thats far from ideal.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 12:52:36 pm by NewDonny »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 22, 2019, 12:22:34 pm by RoversAlias »
If Ennis doesn't start I'm going to wonder what on earth Moore is seeing. He's far better than Thomas and practically playing a different sport to Bingham.

I really hope Whiteman is back but if he isn't quite fully fit, let's not force it. Getting anything at all from this one will be a real bonus so I'd rather he was back to 100% for the Sunderland game. We all remember how little he contributed when brought back too early from injury last season...incidentally in a game away at Sunderland.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 22, 2019, 01:46:25 pm by Campsall rover »
Next 3 games Peterborough, Sunderland and Oxford cant see a goal never mind a win against them lot.
No point in turning up then.

It’s 11 v11 how long have you been watching football. The negativity is mind blowing. Get behind your team for pete’s sake.
This negativity is getting really boring. Not just having a go at you Rovers91 your just one of many i’m afraid.
Just get behind your team and give them your proper support. Players appreciate that amazingly enough.  :that:

Any body would think we are playing Liverpool at Anfield.

Oh yes and we were bottom of the 4th div and drew at Anfield didn’t we.  :that:

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 22, 2019, 01:56:50 pm by Reesielad »
I seem to remember us expecting a heavy defeat when we met at the Keepmoat earlier this season.

That turned out pretty good for us, DF and his tactics will decide how the game goes for us as last time he got it all wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 22, 2019, 02:58:15 pm by Rovers91 »

It’s 11 v11 how long have you been watching football. The negativity is mind blowing. Get behind your team for pete’s sake.
This negativity is getting really boring. Not just having a go at you Rovers91 your just one of many i’m afraid.
Just get behind your team and give them your proper support. Players appreciate that amazingly enough.  :that:

I do give the players my support by going home and away but the shite they are serving up they need to start giving the fans something to support. When they are playing the way they are of course fans are going to be negative and frustrated and not jumping around with joy. But that doesn't mean fans are any less of fans and are still turning up every week spending their money to support them for that hour and half.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 03:03:41 pm by Rovers91 »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 22, 2019, 03:43:12 pm by dickos1 »

You only need to go back 3 seasons and it would’ve been you making very similar posts to these that you’re now going mad over

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 22, 2019, 04:46:53 pm by ravenrover »
Two questions
Why do we need 2 defensive midfielders?
Why are we only playing 1 up front our midfield don't get up quick enough to support a loan striker

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 22, 2019, 04:56:52 pm by Campsall rover »

I do give the players my support by going home and away but the shite they are serving up they need to start giving the fans something to support. When they are playing the way they are of course fans are going to be negative and frustrated and not jumping around with joy. But that doesn't mean fans are any less of fans and are still turning up every week spending their money to support them for that hour and half.
Well that’s fair enough. If you go home and away then you obviously are a die hard supporter & of course you are entitled to be concerned of course. I don’t expect anyone to be jumping up and down with joy at the moment. Believe me there is no one more concerned than me with our current form.
But Rovers91 there is criticism and there is criticism. Some of it extreme to say the least, and all i am saying is for everyone just to take a step back and look at the big picture.

No one has beaten us by more than 1 goal except Oxford in our 5 defeats out of 18 matches played.
In the 5 defeats we have conceded 3 goals once, 2 goals twice and 1 goal twice.
Of the 7 draws we have conceded 2 goals once and 1 goal 6 times.
In the 6 wins we have conceded 2 goals once, 1 goal twice.

So we can see from those stats we don’t have a defensive problem which is a huge positive because if you concede 2/3 goals every week you have to be very prolific in front of goal to be successful.

One quality striker who had remained fit for the 18 games and i could almost guarantee we would be in the top 6 now, possibly top 3/4 with the 3 games in hand.
We also have had a disrupted stop start season with the postponements & it’s been worse than any one else. 3 games worse in most cases.

That’s not looking at the situation with rose tinted specs, it’s the reality of how much the sum of all parts of our team has one, possibly 2 pieces missing.
One of the pieces is massive of course because goals win matches.

So what i can’t accept is the mass negativity towards the Board, the manager and the players without anything constructive coming from many of the posts.

We all know what the problem is, DM isn’t thick, he knows what the problem is and i am sure he will do what he can to rectify it in January, but if he can’t get the right man or men in then we will have to be patient and wait for the summer when he will have much more choice through the availability of players out of contract.

Bit of perspective and sensible thinking needed from everyone don’t you think?

I have said my piece.
Merry Christmas to one and all.

Life is far too precious and sometimes far too short to fall out over a Football Club we are all supposed to
hold dear to our hearts.

Merry Christmas to all.    3 more points against Posh on Boxing Day.
Wouldn’t it be fabulous to do the double on DF.

Oh yes please.   :rtid:

« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 05:07:36 pm by Campsall rover »

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 22, 2019, 05:08:25 pm by the vicar »

Ennis has to start instead of Thomas... Gomez played pretty
well yesterday and if Whiteman is fit it wouldn’t surprise me to see Sheaf dropped. He’s been poor lately and I lost count the amount of times he gave the ball away yesterday.
must we talk about this game for God's sake.  I can only see this going one way with the form and the players we have brought in

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 22, 2019, 05:18:12 pm by Campsall rover »

well yesterday and if Whiteman is fit it wouldn’t surprise me to see Sheaf dropped. He’s been poor lately and I lost count the amount of times he gave the ball away yesterday.
must we talk about this game for God's sake.  I can only see this going one way with the form and the players we have brought in
Vicar for crying out loud THINK POSITIVE. Or your going to have a miserable Christmas.

Do you think what you have said will be in Darren Moore’s team talk.

Good job your not a Southend United supporter.
You would be stood on the end of Southend Pier ready to jump.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 22, 2019, 05:31:38 pm by the vicar »
Completely agree with that retdon, I think Sheaf has really tailed off since his early season good form and if Gomes played well yesterday (I didn’t go but have read that he did alright and spoken to people there) then a spell on the bench might give Sheaf a kick up the backside.

Ennis too has to start if fit. There’s no doubting Thomas’ effort (see what I did there ;)) but for his size I don’t think he causes the physical problems that he should and technically he’s nowhere near the level we need. We’ve missed Ennis’ energy and harassment of defenders - if he’s fit he should be one of the first names on the team sheet for me despite not scoring many.
Shief was garbage yesterday, I can't remember one good pass or even a pass that went to one of our players.  Now the first 2 months of the season he could not do anything wrong, so he maybe need a couple of games in the development team to try and get his confidence back

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 22, 2019, 05:37:04 pm by the vicar »

Vicar for crying out loud THINK POSITIVE. Or your going to have a miserable Christmas.

Do you think what you have said will be in Darren Moore’s team talk.

Good job your not a Southend United supporter.
You would be stood on the end of Southend Pier ready to jump.

Campbell mate if things don't get any better then we well might be in that position, but I always live in hope that is why I usually go to most away games you know that, but it does wear a bit thin when we persistently dish up shit on a plate

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 22, 2019, 05:40:45 pm by Chris Black come back »
One to cheer up the doom-mongers!

In their last five home games in League One, Peterborough have won 4 and drawn 1, keeping 4 clean sheets.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 22, 2019, 05:46:45 pm by the vicar »

In their last five home games in League One, Peterborough have won 4 and drawn 1, keeping 4 clean sheets.
not doom mongers just realists

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 22, 2019, 06:03:30 pm by Campsall rover »
Vicar it’s Campsall not Campbell.  :)
Just call me Paul as you know me.

Look you well know, we have played far worse than this in the past.
You have seen the really bad times with some desperately embarrassing results and performances. What we are witnessing at the moment is just a blip in our season due to an inability to score goals. Nothing more than that.
As a club we are at present in a pretty decent place. More than decent.

What are those Bury supporters going through right now. What do they do on a Saturday afternoon. Some will have been going for 70 years or more.
Their lives have changed they have a void in their lives.

You are talking as though we are about to be relegated from the National League to the National League North.
How do you think York City supporters go on.
1955 FA Cup semi finalists now playing in the 6th tier of English football.

Perspective. Big picture. POSITIVE.
Personally I can’t wait for Thursday love going to London Rd.
No dull moments in recent years with DF, Evans & DF again on Thurs.

Bring it on.  :woohoo:

We have had 2 consecutive summers where our manager has walked out on us leaving without any prior warning.
Last season we finished 6th and was a penalty shoot out from another Wembley play off final.
This season we have an even more difficult rebuilding job to do. We made a very positive start and have now suffered in the last two months due to key player injuries with having a small squad and what has become a stop start season due to now 4 postponements inc the 4th Jan game with Portsmouth now off as well.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 06:06:55 pm by Campsall rover »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on December 22, 2019, 06:10:36 pm by dickos1 »

Imagine what they’d be like if only they had a decent manager 🙄🤭

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 22, 2019, 06:17:05 pm by Chris Black come back »

In that case they would be like a team that had won more than one of their last five games away from home, including losses to the giants of Shrewsbury and Blackpool.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 22, 2019, 07:20:01 pm by selby »
  Dave you are welcome to start your own don't talk about this game thread, hopefully no one will answer you.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 22, 2019, 07:24:58 pm by Campsall rover »

In that case they would be like a team that had won more than one of their last five games away from home, including losses to the giants of Shrewsbury and Blackpool.
CBcb you are banging your head against a brick wall. You must know by now DF is his hero.
I have given up because he will just try and wear you down until you lose it with him. Think that’s all he is after. A reaction. He just loves arguing. It is his passion.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on December 22, 2019, 09:07:02 pm by ravenrover »
Thought you weren't going to get involved in Dickos posts
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 11:30:46 am by ravenrover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 22, 2019, 09:44:03 pm by Campsall rover »
Thought you weren't going to get involved in Dockos posts
No i am not replying and haven’t directly to any of his posts. He has been laying the bait and trying to get a direct reply but i am keeping well away. It’s not good for the health and am not in any hurry to give myself high blood pressure or a heart attack.
Just not worth the agro.

I was just saying to CBcb to keep away as he is now trying to do it to him.

Now Dockos well he is a different kettle of fish all together.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 10:01:11 pm by Campsall rover »

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 22, 2019, 09:45:34 pm by the vicar »

CBcb you are banging your head against a brick wall. You must know by now DF is his hero.
I have given up because he will just try and wear you down until you lose it with him. Think that’s all he is after. A reaction. He just loves arguing. It is his passion.
it was tongue in cheek Brian I am fully behind the club as a whole, but it is concerning going 10 games with only 1 win

TinyPortal © 2005-2012