Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 01:23:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Peterborough  (Read 5814 times)

redarmy82

• Forum Member
Peterborough
« on January 07, 2020, 10:34:03 am by redarmy82 »
Just splashed out 500k on a midfielder.

Smaller gates than us, wonder why we can't follow suit?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
Re: Peterborough
« Reply #1 on January 07, 2020, 10:39:57 am by MachoMadness »
£500k potentially rising to £1m for a Conference player. Game's gone mad.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 07, 2020, 10:48:09 am by IDM »
As I said on anther thread, there are two sides to every transfer deal..

Had Idah not played for Norwich on the weekend he would probably be with us by now..

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 07, 2020, 10:51:13 am by silent majority »

Another negative opening post. No surprise.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 07, 2020, 10:52:02 am by vaya »
£500k?

Cheap option. We've already got one worth considerably more than that.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 07, 2020, 10:54:10 am by Jonathan »
Ferguson says he tried to sign him for us.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 07, 2020, 12:10:21 pm by RugbyRover »

different business model to us. They invest their 500k hoping to turn that investment into millions when they sell him on to a championship club. We prefer to spend small amounts on loan fees. This means we aren't exposed to a risk should a player turn out to be crap. But it does mean we won't reap the rewards of the investment. 

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 07, 2020, 12:14:55 pm by roversdude »
Desperate roll of the dice by a desperate manager
Probably spending the Toney fee before he’s gone.
Would much rather have our board than the knob who runs Peterborough

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 07, 2020, 12:57:22 pm by RoversAlias »
There'd be plenty of criticism on here if we spent 500k on a non-league player. And rightly so.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 07, 2020, 01:01:53 pm by GazLaz »
There'd be plenty of criticism on here if we spent 500k on a non-league player. And rightly so.

“Non league player” is a broad term. What level a player plays at is irrelevant to an extent. If they are good, they are good. They obviously think they are signing a championship player.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 07, 2020, 01:03:01 pm by dickos1 »
Coppinger was a non league player

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 07, 2020, 01:07:47 pm by Donnybax »
Peterborough have a brilliant record of signing non league players and making massive profits. I seem to remember when Ferguson came here most people on here were eager for us to try and do the same. So I don’t think many would’ve been criticising in fact I think most would’ve been excited

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 07, 2020, 01:14:32 pm by philsky »
Desperate roll of the dice by a desperate manager
Probably spending the Toney fee before he’s gone.
Would much rather have our board than the knob who runs Peterborough

I'm with you.

It's frustrating at times but we're solvent and have a half decent squad.

The game is littered with clubs who 'gave it a go' and lived (or didn't) to regret the decision.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 07, 2020, 01:16:05 pm by Drover »
All the money Fergie's been allowed to spend and we still did the double on them! Mmmmm!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 07, 2020, 01:20:12 pm by RoversAlias »

“Non league player” is a broad term. What level a player plays at is irrelevant to an extent. If they are good, they are good. They obviously think they are signing a championship player.

Sure, I get that. But people would definitely be complaining on here and Twitter if we spent that much money on someone relatively unknown who plays for Barnet. How many times have we paid 500k plus in our history on a player? It must be less than 5.

I'm just so, so tired of people finding any reason, even ones that have nothing to do with Rovers, to have a dig or moan about the club.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 07, 2020, 01:25:11 pm by roversdude »
Ferguson spending on players for the next manager because patience must be running out with him (again)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 07, 2020, 01:59:06 pm by Chris Black come back »

Sure, I get that. But people would definitely be complaining on here and Twitter if we spent that much money on someone relatively unknown who plays for Barnet. How many times have we paid 500k plus in our history on a player? It must be less than 5.

I'm just so, so tired of people finding any reason, even ones that have nothing to do with Rovers, to have a dig or moan about the club.

I think the answer is only once, with Sharp?

Have in mind 350,000 for Matt Mills and then a couple of 100,000s for Heffernan, Wellens and Hayter. Not sure anything between Sharp though until you get down to these lot.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 07, 2020, 04:16:46 pm by elmsallrover »
Wasn't wellens a free from Oldham

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 07, 2020, 04:20:14 pm by drfchound »

I think the answer is only once, with Sharp?

Have in mind 350,000 for Matt Mills and then a couple of 100,000s for Heffernan, Wellens and Hayter. Not sure anything between Sharp though until you get down to these lot.

Didn’t we pay over a hundred grand for Whiteman.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 07, 2020, 04:25:23 pm by MachoMadness »
Paid money for James in the close season too I believe.

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 07, 2020, 04:33:47 pm by anton123 »
They have put a 13m price tag on tony and they will prob get it , u can’t knock there business model them make loads from transfers

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 07, 2020, 04:34:30 pm by Donnybax »
They have put a 13m price tag on tony and they will prob get it , u can’t knock there business model them make loads from transfers
cost them 650k

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 07, 2020, 06:41:19 pm by dknward2 »
13 million haha won't get that maybe 3 million at most

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 07, 2020, 06:49:17 pm by DRNaith »
So do they feel able to spend so much because they believe that they we get more back further down the line?

curley

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 07, 2020, 06:59:13 pm by curley »
We should be more concerned about our own recruitment at least Peterborough are looking in the National league, where are we looking the Sunday league? :chair:

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 07, 2020, 07:01:20 pm by dickos1 »
I assume their model is they invest in young talented players, with a good sense of knowledge that they will earn money on them.
Similar to what we did with sharp,
We also spent money outside of the budget for whiteman because we had good knowledge that we would eventually make money.

Beltonnotousers

« Reply #26 on January 07, 2020, 07:13:19 pm by Beltonnotousers »
How do they pass FFP on 5k average gates 🤔. MacAnthony when asked last week about a signing said no as they'd struggle to pass it. Maddison maybe going out?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 07, 2020, 07:13:22 pm by Chris Black come back »
Not done them much good mind. They have never done more than a single season in the Championship and aside from when Ferguson got us relegated to League Two, they have barely ever been in a higher league than us in recent memory. They might have made money but they are cack.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 07, 2020, 07:17:24 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
I assume their model is they invest in young talented players, with a good sense of knowledge that they will earn money on them.
Similar to what we did with sharp,
We also spent money outside of the budget for whiteman because we had good knowledge that we would eventually make money.

a bit late in life  to assume mate, they've been doing this for years it is an" industry", where have you been all these years ...... :facepalm:

the figures here might be wonky but the names aren't

and this is only the first page of names .......  that Barry Fry is the cause of it all

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/peterborough-united/transferrekorde/verein/1072/plus/0/galerie/0?saison_id=&pos=&detailpos=&altersklasse=&w_s=

page 2 of " who's who" here

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/peterborough-united/transferrekorde/verein/1072/plus/0/galerie/0?saison_id=&pos=&detailpos=&altersklasse=&w_s=

all those names including tommy rowe make me dizzy.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 07:21:03 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 07, 2020, 11:16:51 pm by RoversAlias »
Not done them much good mind. They have never done more than a single season in the Championship and aside from when Ferguson got us relegated to League Two, they have barely ever been in a higher league than us in recent memory. They might have made money but they are cack.

This is a good point. For all their business model is being talked up and their great signings vaunted a lot, they have finished outside the Play Offs in League One five years in a row. We beat them to it last year having signed only a couple of free transfers and two teenage loanees before the season started.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012