Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 03:58:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Question for the board  (Read 15764 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Question for the board
« Reply #120 on January 17, 2020, 09:10:02 pm by silent majority »
So, what is it, then?

And for the thirtieth time today it's because DM is waiting for his plan A to come together. He could go to plan B right now and sign players to keep you happy Alan, but he ain't going to, sorry!

but we’ve missed out on targets? So surely we already are on plan B C etc...?

I stand by what I said last night we haven't missed out, until today that is.

But Moore has said himself that we’ve missed out on some players.

Yep he did. But it's all about interpretation.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on January 17, 2020, 09:39:33 pm by Retdon1 »
So, what is it, then?

And for the thirtieth time today it's because DM is waiting for his plan A to come together. He could go to plan B right now and sign players to keep you happy Alan, but he ain't going to, sorry!

??

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on January 17, 2020, 09:43:21 pm by drfchound »
I would have thought that when Moore says we have missed out on targets he means that we were unsuccessful in our attempts to get them to sign for us.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on January 17, 2020, 10:09:53 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I cant see how the manager will be happy about his attacking options and it's a huge problem. Things have dragged on ridiculously long imo and I cant see how anyone is happy about that.  Hes doing a remarkable job considering what he has.  Theres a real question about the lack of ability to get good signings in right now, it has to be a concern.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on January 17, 2020, 10:11:21 pm by dickos1 »
Some people do seem to be happy though

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on January 17, 2020, 10:12:10 pm by colincramb »
I cant see how the manager will be happy about his attacking options and it's a huge problem. Things have dragged on ridiculously long imo and I cant see how anyone is happy about that.  Hes doing a remarkable job considering what he has.  Theres a real question about the lack of ability to get good signings in right now, it has to be a concern.

Hard to disagree with this.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on January 17, 2020, 10:43:50 pm by no eyed deer »
Silently Majority... if Baldwin was Tony Blair, you would be Alastair Campbell  :that:

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on January 17, 2020, 10:57:36 pm by tyke1962 »
The realistic recruitment grounds for Rovers aren't so straight forward that makes targets the sure thing supporters would like them to be .

Any shining lights within budget and more than likely lower down the pyramid are also going to attract the attention of other clubs .

With all due respect Rovers at the moment aren't a stand out league one club , they aren't a minnow by any means but they are in with a group of clubs who have aspirations but are similar in size , same fan base and similar personal terms .

Let's say you identity a young striker who has knocked in 15 league goals for Stevenage this season , plenty of other similar sized clubs as Rovers are also going to be on it too .

I could name easily ten clubs in league one at the moment who would equally have enough about them to think they could land such a player .

Until Rovers break away from that group of similar sized clubs and put themselves in to a position of becoming the club players see as a significant step up or even down if you want if you go in to the championship fringe players then its always going to be difficult .

I don't mean any disrespect but try to call it as I see it .

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on January 17, 2020, 11:14:35 pm by Ldr »
The real question that needs to be asked of the board. Why do you bother? Why waste millions of pounds each year propping up a club that is "supported" by so many ungrateful bas**rds who cant ever forgive you for not being John Ryan

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on January 17, 2020, 11:15:43 pm by Barmby Rover »
The realistic recruitment grounds for Rovers aren't so straight forward that makes targets the sure thing supporters would like them to be .

Any shining lights within budget and more than likely lower down the pyramid are also going to attract the attention of other clubs .

With all due respect Rovers at the moment aren't a stand out league one club , they aren't a minnow by any means but they are in with a group of clubs who have aspirations but are similar in size , same fan base and similar personal terms .

Let's say you identity a young striker who has knocked in 15 league goals for Stevenage this season , plenty of other similar sized clubs as Rovers are also going to be on it too .

I could name easily ten clubs in league one at the moment who would equally have enough about them to think they could land such a player .

Until Rovers break away from that group of similar sized clubs and put themselves in to a position of becoming the club players see as a significant step up or even down if you want if you go in to the championship fringe players then its always going to be difficult .

Quite agree with you Tyke, we don't stand out as one of the teams that will challenge for automatic promotion, we don't stand out enough to attract the Billy Sharp type of striker.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on January 17, 2020, 11:24:55 pm by no eyed deer »
The real question that needs to be asked of the board. Why do you bother? Why waste millions of pounds each year propping up a club that is "supported" by so many ungrateful bas**rds who cant ever forgive you for not being John Ryan

Millions each year ?

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on January 17, 2020, 11:27:26 pm by Donnyjim »
Can’t help thinking that the board are bit sick of having to bank roll the club every year and have decided to have a year off. The win falls from last season have enabled them to do that. If this is the case then a striker on loan would be better than nothing.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on January 17, 2020, 11:29:24 pm by Donnybax »
So, what is it, then?

this makes no sense. How can you interpret it any other way?

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on January 17, 2020, 11:31:00 pm by Ldr »

Millions each year ?

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=270192.0

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on January 17, 2020, 11:32:06 pm by since-1969 »
So, what is it, then?

So interpretation is what ? That they didn’t or they did . The club is trying to what in this transfer window please tell us all or are you just like us  without clue ! SFB
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 11:35:24 pm by since-1969 »

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on January 17, 2020, 11:43:55 pm by tyke1962 »

Quite agree with you Tyke, we don't stand out as one of the teams that will challenge for automatic promotion, we don't stand out enough to attract the Billy Sharp type of striker.

The flaw that's possibly hindered you was when you dropped out of the championship the last time and then fell in to League Two which did massive damage to the Rovers brand .

If you look at Rotherham and ourselves who we both  find it extremely difficult in the championship but manage to punch the weight at league one level on the back of promotions to the championship .

All the good work from the rise from the Conference and John Ryan and the brand he built took a right hammering when you dropped in to League Two even for the one season .

You've basically had to start again minus his input which to be fair was significant .

It's the like the Champions League in the PL , once you are out of it it's difficult , Arsenal are your reference .
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 11:47:50 pm by tyke1962 »

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on January 18, 2020, 12:49:27 am by no eyed deer »

It must be true then
Millions each year ?

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=270192.0

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on January 18, 2020, 08:06:41 am by godlike1 »

The flaw that's possibly hindered you was when you dropped out of the championship the last time and then fell in to League Two which did massive damage to the Rovers brand .

If you look at Rotherham and ourselves who we both  find it extremely difficult in the championship but manage to punch the weight at league one level on the back of promotions to the championship .

All the good work from the rise from the Conference and John Ryan and the brand he built took a right hammering when you dropped in to League Two even for the one season .

You've basically had to start again minus his input which to be fair was significant .

It's the like the Champions League in the PL , once you are out of it it's difficult , Arsenal are your reference .

Yep the only way to build the brand again is to make some statement signings. You could argue getting DM here was part of that but if he's not going to be given any money to compete above those around us (let's be honest it's all about money at the end of the day) then the players and agents will go to the clubs where they will be paid more and are still in chance of promotion or play offs

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on January 18, 2020, 08:26:03 am by drfchound »

ldr.
They bother because for every miserable sod there are plenty of supporters who are appreciative of the input of the owners.
All clubs have moaners amongst the fan base, it isn’t just the Rovers.
Not much different to your own colleagues at work really.
There are always the people who constantly bleat about the boss and his big house and car but conveniently forget that he is the reason they have a job.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on January 18, 2020, 08:48:38 am by Herbert Anchovy »
What is the problem here? DM has tried to make a signing or two, they’ve not gone through for one reason or another, so he’s moving onto other targets? Some people on here are determined to find something to complain about so look to create some form of conspiracy! There’s some real nutters who follow the Rovers.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on January 18, 2020, 08:54:07 am by drfchound »
HA, I think that some people are simply asking SM about his “interpretation” comment.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on January 18, 2020, 09:03:31 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Understood Hound, but there must be around 20 pages of ‘discussion’ on the same subject with crazy conspiracy theories, unfounded criticism and general wum’s thrown in the mix!

Has SM deliberately misled anyone? No
Has LH deliberately misled anyone? No
Had there been an honest misunderstanding? Possibly

Remember the days when you got all your Rovers info from the back of the Evening Post? Some people now believe that they’ve a right to be told whatever they want by the club, and if that doesn’t happen, on their terms, then there’s some ulterior motive at work!

The world gone mad...or maybe I have.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #142 on January 18, 2020, 09:28:11 am by Bentley Bullet »
In the days when we got all our information from the Evening post, there was no promise of second-tier football within 5 years and claims of top-six budgets.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #143 on January 18, 2020, 09:49:16 am by StocktonRover »
In the days when we got all our information from the Evening post, there was no promise of second-tier football within 5 years and claims of top-six budgets.
But social media hadn't created that belief of entitlement to know everything then.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on January 18, 2020, 09:56:25 am by Donny Exile in York »
Back in the days of Bremners second coming or when Uncle Ken came in their were 5 year plans... when it came to it money talked in the end and when it dried up players were sold, incoming quality signings became less and were replaced with journeyman or poor lower league replacements.. we didnt seem to have a problem getting players over the line however a decade ago when we had a Chairman dedicated to 'destination championship' despite the not so great branding.. then we recruited very well and I remember the time at league 1 level he gave us a signing a day for a week... I would say with all this conjecture.. the proof is in the pudding.. we have 4 or 5 and half months of current lack of quality transfer activity including Thomas and Bingham t'boot.. a few tangible quality signings would shut us all up royally but time is ticking.. and a few permanent signings of quality would shut us up even more as a marker of longer term intent.. we didnt have a problem back in 2007-08 with quality permanent signings as we pushed for the championship..

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on January 18, 2020, 10:04:52 am by tyke1962 »
The Saturday night pub inquest was just as controversial as I remember with folk supping their pints and reading The Green Un , what a missed publication that is .

Today you don't even have to go to games to be pretty much up to speed on what's going on and so have an opinion .

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #146 on January 18, 2020, 10:09:50 am by Filo »
I loved the Green un, it would be full time at Belle Vue and a 15-20 minute walk the Christchurch bus stop, and the Green Un was already on sale at Christchurch gates on the corner, something to read on the bus on the way home

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on January 18, 2020, 10:19:57 am by tyke1962 »
I loved the Green un, it would be full time at Belle Vue and a 15-20 minute walk the Christchurch bus stop, and the Green Un was already on sale at Christchurch gates on the corner, something to read on the bus on the way home

The Devonshire pub adjacent to Barnsley bus station opened at 5.30pm so we headed there straight after home games .

We would look through the windows waiting for the Green Un to be delivered to the seller positioned just outside the station .

Mind you the first glimpse of the days results was to head straight out of Oakwell at the final whistle and head in to town and stand outside the tv shop at the side of the market .

Loads and loads would be stood outside the shop as 5pm approached .

Great days .

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on January 18, 2020, 10:21:43 am by Chris Black come back »
All those Barnsley fans queued up waiting eagerly for the Green ‘Un...six fingers and palms all sweaty with anticipation....

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #149 on January 18, 2020, 10:29:49 am by silent majority »
So, what is it, then?

this makes no sense. How can you interpret it any other way?

Well, firstly it depends if the target is confirmed or not. Are they definitely a target or just a name on a list? Have negotiations begun with the parent club, player or agent? Are they part of plan A or Plan B?

So, depending on who you ask, the answer to, 'have we lost any targets?' could be completely different. And that, unfortunately, is the reason for the mix up here.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012