Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 06:13:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Paul Dickov  (Read 6410 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Paul Dickov
« on January 17, 2020, 04:48:07 pm by Branton Rover »
Apparently been spouting off in an article about DRFC can anyone attach it as I can’t find it, thanks

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: Paul Dickov
« Reply #1 on January 17, 2020, 04:50:45 pm by since-1969 »
Apparently been spouting off in an article about DRFC can anyone attach it as I can’t find it, thanks
Are you really bothered 😕

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 17, 2020, 05:03:16 pm by ChrisBx »
I saw a quote on Twitter which suggested Dickov had accused the DRFC board of being dishonest about the playing budget.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 17, 2020, 05:05:28 pm by dickos1 »
The link was put on here yesterday it’s an audio

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 17, 2020, 05:08:53 pm by Copps is Magic »
Can non of you dummies copy and paste a link? Thats literally all you need to do.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 17, 2020, 05:13:19 pm by dickos1 »
Aye
But It would take a while finding the link
No idea where it was posted on here

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 17, 2020, 05:17:16 pm by ian1980 »

Start at 1hr 37mins and listen for 10 minutes or so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=KGJSsNOHbp0&feature=emb_title

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 17, 2020, 05:28:30 pm by mushRTID »
Very interesting.

I didn’t particularly rate Dickov but I always thought from day 1 he seemed (and was) genuine.

I don’t think he would lie about this.

On the flip side I imagine it happens at a lot of clubs, probably not that uncommon.

redrover10

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 17, 2020, 05:48:57 pm by redrover10 »
Its shows it happens probs why mcann left only offering players half there wages leaving us short

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 17, 2020, 05:56:45 pm by RugbyRover »
Very interesting.

I didn’t particularly rate Dickov but I always thought from day 1 he seemed (and was) genuine.

On the flip side I imagine it happens at a lot of clubs, probably not that uncommon.

I can't think of a sensible reason why he would start telling porkies now and if he was I'm sure DRFC and their solicitors would be having a word with him about it. If it were true then I think DRFC will just stay quiet about it all.

So much for fan engagement eh? Who was the CEO when Dickov was here?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 17, 2020, 05:57:32 pm by RoversAlias »
Whether true or not, the time in question was five years ago and the club had just lost one of its three majority owners, so it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with our present situation.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 17, 2020, 06:10:06 pm by Nudga »
Very interesting.

He was given a huge budget in his relegation season in the championship

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 17, 2020, 06:11:06 pm by dickos1 »
5 million he states it was

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 17, 2020, 06:19:24 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Telling us what anyone with more than one brain cell knows.

You've got Portsmouth Sunderland Rotherham Ipswich Peterborough for definite on bigger budgets. Then the rest of the league are basically all in joint 6th with a few quid difference here and there minus the ones in financial trouble

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 17, 2020, 06:27:40 pm by NickDRFC »
Dickov seemed like a lovely bloke, always interviewed well, and to be fair kept us within a pube’s width of staying in the Championship against all odds, but I remember hearing from someone close to the club at the time that he was usually last in and first out. Not exactly management material.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 17, 2020, 06:29:44 pm by IDM »

You've got Portsmouth Sunderland Rotherham Ipswich Peterborough for definite on bigger budgets. Then the rest of the league are basically all in joint 6th with a few quid difference here and there minus the ones in financial trouble

What does something from 5 years ago prove about now.??

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 17, 2020, 06:35:39 pm by Chris Black come back »
Oversaw arguably the most disastrous recruitment period in living memory. He was responsible for ATS, N’Guessen, Chaplow and the massive Scottish centre back who we hoped would be another Gordon Greer but was on par with Germaine Greer.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 17, 2020, 06:45:08 pm by Michael Shaw »

We won't get the current manager to say what he thinks about the current budget or he will be out of a job. So the best we can do is rely on the truth and honesty of a manager from 5 years ago. A pity Ferguson and McCann won't speak up.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 17, 2020, 06:45:14 pm by Drover »
An

and what does it disprove?? Thing is,successive managers have hinted that the budget is less than they want us to know,that's NOT the real problem,I accept that and move on,the problem being highlighted is they want to give us the impression the budget is bigger than many fans think.Why?Why not just tell it straight and face the music,then let the fans suck it up and live with it.Thing is,it must be sometimes annoying for a manager being judged on his performances/rating with the watching football community thinking he doing it with a more competative budget than he has.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 06:52:35 pm by Drover »

phil o sophical

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 17, 2020, 06:52:37 pm by phil o sophical »
Oversaw arguably the most disastrous recruitment period in living memory. He was responsible for ATS, N’Guessen, Chaplow and the massive Scottish centre back who we hoped would be another Gordon Greer but was on par with Germaine Greer.

On the plus side , he did have nice hair  :chair:

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 17, 2020, 06:53:45 pm by scawsby steve »

It was Gary McKenzie Chris, and you're right about all that dross he signed on. However, don't forget some of the brilliant signings he made as well. Sharp, Wellens, Khumalo, Tamas, Meite, Neill, and not forgetting Sam Johnstone on loan.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 08:09:30 pm by scawsby steve »

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 17, 2020, 07:08:07 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
Its shows it happens probs why mcann left only offering players half there wages leaving us short
Not quite sure what that statement means!   :unsure:

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 17, 2020, 07:11:33 pm by IDM »

We won't get the current manager to say what he thinks about the current budget or he will be out of a job. So the best we can do is rely on the truth and honesty of a manager from 5 years ago. A pity Ferguson and McCann won't speak up.

5 yeas ago is 5 yeas ago..  I’m only interested in what goes on on the pitch..

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 17, 2020, 07:15:22 pm by NickDRFC »

Why have you been commenting so much about quotes and misquotes then ;)

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 17, 2020, 07:16:39 pm by pib »
I haven’t listened to it yet so may have got the wrong end of the stick, but my initial reaction is... of course the budget decreased after JR left, because we were relegated from the Championship to L1.

If Dickov is claiming it decreased IMMEDIATELY after JR’s departure (in November 2013) then who funded the signings of Tamas, Meite, Neill , Johnstone et al?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 17, 2020, 07:24:18 pm by IDM »

If you mean about signings and reports on transfer activity then they are going to have an influence about the games in the very near future..

That and reacting to posts which I believe warrant reaction..

My point was that something from 5 years ago is irrelevant to today, in my opinion.

I guess that’s ok with you.?

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 17, 2020, 07:45:59 pm by southwestexile »
Sometimes we all need excuses for being shit

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 17, 2020, 07:50:55 pm by Retdon1 »
He initially said 5 million and then later 5 or 6 million. I would take what he says with a pinch of salt

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 17, 2020, 08:15:14 pm by Drover »
I haven’t listened to it yet so may have got the wrong end of the stick, but my initial reaction is... of course the budget decreased after JR left, because we were relegated from the Championship to L1.

If Dickov is claiming it decreased IMMEDIATELY after JR’s departure (in November 2013) then who funded the signings of Tamas, Meite, Neill , Johnstone et al?

He said his budget was £5 million in the championship,it was the lowest or maybe 2nd lowest,and was so close to keeping us up,it was gut wrenching to get relegated on goal difference in the last 10 mins of the season,he says the new chairman after JR left should probably have sacked him straight away,because he was so often being quized about who he was picking in that position and why(something along those lines,apologises if I get something wrong) and he eventually thinks that was because they probably did'nt have faith in him(again my words to what I think he was implying).He also said they wanted him to say his budget was more than it was,and they was obsessed about play-off budget,all the time saying play-off budget.(Again apologies for anything I got wrong),it was a longish listen and not got time to re-listen.Before anyone moans at me,Im not moaning myself,just trying to explain what PD said.I mean,it makes sense,if I was chairman/director and wanted to make the club as self sustainable as possible,I would hope for reaching play-offs each year,to bring in as much revenue as possible.Nothing wrong with that,the problem is,some fans misinterpret that as lack of ambition.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 17, 2020, 08:17:11 pm by Padge_DRFC »

If you mean about signings and reports on transfer activity then they are going to have an influence about the games in the very near future..

That and reacting to posts which I believe warrant reaction..

My point was that something from 5 years ago is irrelevant to today, in my opinion.

I guess that’s ok with you.?

When they say top 6 budget they're probably not far off the truth but because of the reason I put. They can't exactly tell the truth when trying to sell more season tickets.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012