Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 10:41:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: What a borefest  (Read 4703 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
What a borefest
« on January 18, 2020, 05:24:04 pm by Filo »
Awful display, poor passing (Ben Sheif), and no movement up top!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: What a borefest
« Reply #1 on January 18, 2020, 05:25:09 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I thought the tactics and style were right but the forward players lacked.  I dont see what more the manager could have done today which is damning of the current squad position.

Michael Gibson

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 18, 2020, 05:25:24 pm by Michael Gibson »
Absolutely awful, sack the board!!!!

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 18, 2020, 05:26:58 pm by vaya »

Barring some existential crisis, they're not going to sack themselves.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 18, 2020, 05:27:26 pm by since-1969 »
I thought the tactics and style were right but the forward players lacked.  I dont see what more the manager could have done today which is damning of the current squad position.
WHAT was the tactics ?

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 18, 2020, 05:28:50 pm by no eyed deer »
The most frustrating this is not having the players on the bench to change it. Come on board dig deep for the top 6 finish that you talk about.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 18, 2020, 05:31:46 pm by bpoolrover »
All we need is a more creative midfielder and a goal scorer and we have every chance of a top 6 finish, just not convinced we will sign any of them till the summer

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 18, 2020, 05:32:53 pm by drfcsteve »
Waste of money today, bored for 90 minutes, never looked like doing anything.

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 18, 2020, 05:33:12 pm by firestarter »
Which summer ?

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 18, 2020, 05:33:20 pm by tommy toes »
Got to disagree about Sheaf. Thought he was the only midfielder trying to make things happen. Whiteman and Copps were poor.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 18, 2020, 05:34:11 pm by Filo »
All we need is a more creative midfielder and a goal scorer and we have every chance of a top 6 finish, just not convinced we will sign any of them till the summer

Ben Sheif is not the answer, I’d love to see his pass completion rate for Coventry, if he’s any aspirations of getting anywhere near the Arsenal first team he’s deluded, he’s been poor for a good bit now

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 18, 2020, 05:34:20 pm by since-1969 »
It’s clear that we are just not up to taking the games to teams. Sitting back and walking about without any urgency doesn’t constitute a tactic imo.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 18, 2020, 05:36:18 pm by Chris Black come back »
Whiteman on the big bucks. Totally anonymous.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 18, 2020, 05:41:13 pm by pib »

Ben Sheif is not the answer, I’d love to see his pass completion rate for Coventry, if he’s any aspirations of getting anywhere near the Arsenal first team he’s deluded, he’s been poor for a good bit now

Yep he’s been like that for ages. Don’t think I’ve seen him find a red and white shirt since it was short sleeves weather!

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 18, 2020, 05:45:25 pm by Jonathan »
Sheaf has not “been poor for a while,” he’s had some good games recently. Today was erratic but to his credit he’s always looking for the ball and trying to make things happen. It won’t always come off and he seems to be the ‘go to’ scapegoat for some. A lazy view in my opinion.

Ennis had a poor one today, probably the worst I’ve seen him play for us. Nothing stuck for him today and he looked way off. Not blaming him as he’s been great for us and it’s going to happen with young kids occasionally. Today we could have done with another option from the bench but sadly we don’t have one and that cost us on this occasion.

Coventry are a decent side and were just too good for us in the circumstances. It’s very hard to rely on an eleven to turn it on week in week out and it’s asking a lot of a teenage loanee to lead the line and take a beating from big strong defenders every week.

When we needed something different today, we didn’t have it. On to the next one.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 05:56:18 pm by Jonathan »

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 18, 2020, 05:55:08 pm by the vicar »
The Tactics my bum, all we did was pass long giving the ball away, not pressing the opposition and letting them pass unchallenged and get there shots off we could not get 2 passes together

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 18, 2020, 05:57:38 pm by Paul Simpson »
It’s clear for all to see surely? Get a bloody striker signed up Darren!!!

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 18, 2020, 05:57:45 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I've been critical of Sheaf for his slack passing for a while but have also had to say in recent games he's been much improved.  I saw a couple from him that didn't come off for us today but he was far from the worst.  I've been holding back from criticising Whitman for a while but it has to be said he's been poor for too long now.  He absolutely cannot play himself out of trouble and invariably plays the chip over his shoulder which invariably loses us possession.
The whole team was on their knees in the last ten minutes and it showed.  There was no showing for the pass and every one of them choosing to turn back and pass to the back line when we needed to press forward and gamble on something coming off.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 18, 2020, 05:58:51 pm by dickos1 »

Sheaf was our best player against oxford the other week

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 18, 2020, 06:07:46 pm by sha66y »
Today we needed more than a striker, playing 6 across the back is screaming to be punished..and we got punished....

this team is just not good enough to be promotion contenders ...

curley

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 18, 2020, 06:10:51 pm by curley »
Very lucky to get nil today, don't  know what the answer is but it is not young kids borrowed from premier league teams.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 18, 2020, 06:15:09 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Who can sack the people that own something? :laugh:

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 18, 2020, 06:16:56 pm by dknward2 »
Losing and on the 80th min deing is stood with the ball and nobody offers a run or or movement he passes out and low and behold 3 passes later Coventry have it back
When teams have ten behind the ball you won't able to pass through them

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 18, 2020, 06:22:35 pm by the vicar »
If people keep saying sack the board, they will get what thwy wish for, because they Will have had enough of the back biting, they will walk away then no club and no team

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 18, 2020, 06:23:14 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Dieng - 85.3%

Halliday - 70%
James - 68.4%
Anderson - 61.7%
Wright - 77.1%

Whiteman - 79.2%
Sheaf - 78.3%

Taylor - 88.2%
Coppinger - 82.2%
Sadlier - 77.8%

Ennis - 75%

Bingham - 83.3%

Sheaf made the most passes in the team today with 65.

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 18, 2020, 06:30:17 pm by redarmi66 »
We looked lethargic today against a very good in-form team. In the first half they were quicker to everything and looked like they wanted it more. They made us look like the away team. We improved second half and on another day we might have got something.  However we were far to slow to move the ball and the insistence to try and play out from the back is far too predictable. Particularly against a team who are willing to work hard and close us down. We dont have the depth to change anything or provide an impact to help change things when its not going for us. As already stated we need something else upfront and some flair in midfield. I think we also need to be able to mix our style of play and be a little more adaptable. On to the next one RTID

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 18, 2020, 06:43:49 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Some of the comments above make me wonder if I was watching the same game. Far from a bore fest I found it an intruiging contest between two relatively even teams. On the day we were a little bit off in the final third. Once again we defended well and limited their chances other than the strike right into the corner. They had slightly the better in the run of the ball with the referee also bottling the penalty on Ennis. Yes, they hit the post too but that came from a bit of luck that fell their way.

Unfortunatey when we went at them in the second half we couldn't find the right pass or cross to create a clear opening.

Ennis and Whiteman didn't have their best games but I thought all the others were on pace and played well. Sheaf was trying to get things moving and covered a hell of a lot of ground. Copps was closely marked today and got very little time on the ball but still managed to cause them problems.

I thought Bingham did OK when he came on and at least got a couple of efforts in. Taylor was bright but couldn't find the right contact when shooting.

Overall not unhappy with the effort put in although we were a bit naive at times wasting chances to keep pressure on them particularly from free kicks.

What's lacking remains obvious to everyone but this league is still there for us if DM keeps the belief and is able to add to what we have.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 18, 2020, 06:48:51 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
We sat in west stand today for the first time. That was a jinx. First half we were as bad as Ive seen us all season. Second was better, however at least 3 times Taylor put great balls into their penalty area that were totally wasted as nobody was there except on one occasion when Ennis and Bingham got in each other’s way! Very frustrating

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 18, 2020, 06:54:31 pm by ravenrover »
For me Coventry were just the better of 2 mediocre teams today. Apart from our terrible passing at times, whenever the ball was played forward it was like kicking it against a brick wall it just came straight back. You can't fault Ennis for his effort but a centre forward he is not. Today just emphasised what everyone can clearly see we need a forward who can at least hold the ball up to allow the midfield to get up and support him, that is if we persist in the 1 up front

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 18, 2020, 06:59:07 pm by since-1969 »
We sat in west stand today for the first time. That was a jinx. First half we were as bad as Ive seen us all season. Second was better, however at least 3 times Taylor put great balls into their penalty area that were totally wasted as nobody was there except on one occasion when Ennis and Bingham got in each other’s way! Very frustrating
When all we do is Jon Taylor and hope he can get behind the defence is there any wonder we didn’t create barely a single scoring opportunity. We can talk today into next week but the conclusion will still be the same ... we are just not a top 6 team budget or not . With now only 12 regulars in the squad we will be fortunate if aren’t fighting off L2 .

TinyPortal © 2005-2012