Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 08:44:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Meet the owners  (Read 4219 times)

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
Meet the owners
« on January 21, 2020, 08:20:33 pm by johnny rovers »
Any idea when the next one is?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Meet the owners
« Reply #1 on January 21, 2020, 08:26:38 pm by Padge_DRFC »
They are working hard behind the scenes and trying to get it over the line.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 21, 2020, 08:29:28 pm by the vicar »
They are calling the date when they are all back in the country

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 22, 2020, 12:11:40 am by Colemans Left Hook »
don't know...    but isn't this site about "Meet the Mowners"  at least we have access to them every day. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 22, 2020, 09:52:29 am by DRNaith »
don't know...    but isn't this site about "Meet the Mowners"  at least we have access to them every day. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Yep, and the downright ungrateful

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 22, 2020, 10:56:45 pm by johnny rovers »
I'll be honest, not got any questions for the owners, they are doing a sterling job.

I'm concerned with the chairman, Mr Blunt who is running the football club and what he should be doing?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 22, 2020, 10:59:27 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'll be honest, not got any questions for the owners, they are doing a sterling job.

I'm concerned with the chairman, Mr Blunt who is running the football club and what he should be doing?

What do you think he should be doing? Serious question.

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 23, 2020, 04:41:32 am by johnny rovers »

Signing the players the manager wants with the funds available. Be passionate about the job he has to do and to do it to the best of his ability.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 23, 2020, 09:02:26 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
How do you know is isn't any of those things?

Plus, I'm not sure being passionate, other than the enthusiasm required to perform any job, is a necessity.

Blunt is no JR and why should he be? I wouldn't want him to be something he isn't. He doesn't crave the limelight at any time, neither when we're up nor when we're down. The press don't seek him out for interviews either.

The policy of the board is to let the football people do the talking and let the CEO have the responsibility to run the club day to day.

Just because we don't hear from him, other than at the meet the owners, doesn't mean he's doing a crap job.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 23, 2020, 09:08:38 am by Metalmicky »
How do you know is isn't any of those things?

Plus, I'm not sure being passionate, other than the enthusiasm required to perform any job, is a necessity.

Blunt is no JR and why should he be? I wouldn't want him to be something he isn't. He doesn't crave the limelight at any time, neither when we're up nor when we're down. The press don't seek him out for interviews either.

The policy of the board is to let the football people do the talking and let the CEO have the responsibility to run the club day to day.

Just because we don't hear from him, other than at the meet the owners, doesn't mean he's doing a crap job.

I think johnny wants to see him banging a drum in the south stand on match days..........  :rolleyes:

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 23, 2020, 09:16:18 am by Colin C No.3 »
JR wouldn’t have needed asking twice!!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 23, 2020, 09:26:40 am by RoversAlias »
And therein lies the problem for many of the board dissenters. They aren't JR. People got very used to the public figure, constant confidence and lots of information that John Ryan brought as Chairman.

The reality is that most football chairmen are not like JR in this way, and that's no bad thing.

Johnny Rovers, nor anyone else who criticises the board that I can see, has any idea how David Blunt performs his job, nor Gavin Baldwin or Terry Bramall, Andy Watson or anyone else in a position of power at DRFC. Yet these fans see fit to say that they aren't doing a good job or don't care enough because we don't make lots of great signings or thrash every team we play.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 23, 2020, 09:52:48 am by Jonathan »
And therein lies the problem for many of the board dissenters. They aren't JR. People got very used to the public figure, constant confidence and lots of information that John Ryan brought as Chairman.

The reality is that most football chairmen are not like JR in this way, and that's no bad thing.

Johnny Rovers, nor anyone else who criticises the board that I can see, has any idea how David Blunt performs his job, nor Gavin Baldwin or Terry Bramall, Andy Watson or anyone else in a position of power at DRFC. Yet these fans see fit to say that they aren't doing a good job or don't care enough because we don't make lots of great signings or thrash every team we play.

I think it’s easy to go to the extremes of the argument and start talking about banging drums in the south stand or coming on as a sub at Hereford. That instantly drags it into the farcical.

Similarly, reading further up this thread I’m not seeing any evident criticism of the owners, and I wouldn’t endorse any either. I made a point last week that the evidence is clear of our reliance on the input of Terry Bramall and the Watsons for many years. And Gavin Baldwin as CEO is very much the public face and the positive bridge between the club and the fans. But David Blunt is largely invisible. That doesn’t automatically mean he’s doing a bad job by exception. But what’s to say Johnny Rovers or any other doesn’t know something that others don’t? I’m not privy to anything myself, but you do hear murmurings and the public comments from Paul Dickov around Blunt’s role are a cause for concern. There are questions that would benefit from being answered there.

If, as we have no reason not to believe, the funds have been made available by our backers (Bramall and Watson) and Darren Moore is being actively encouraged to strengthen and has identified his targets, then (given the very slow pace at which we see any progress and the public assertion from Dickov that Blunt acted more as a roadblock to negotiation) isn’t it reasonable to at least spark some question over the chairman’s role? That was a long sentence, I’m almost out of breath from typing it.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 10:41:17 am by Jonathan »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 23, 2020, 10:13:58 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Question? Yes. Point the finger and criticise in a public place without asking those questions? No!

I'm not sure what Johnny or other fans expect of a chairman.

There's no doubt about Jr's achievements. He gave us hope, when there was only despair and when I say despair, maybe the younger generation can't understand how deep that was when we were bottom of the Conference.
He gave us belief when nobody believed we could get back into the football league and go even higher. He was like the pied piper and he had a story to tell which the media wanted to know. How the hell have you done that!?

Things change though when you're in with the bigger fish. The David and Goliath, rags to riches story has already been told and the press longer want to hear that story.

As JR found, despite his heroic efforts which will always be part of our folklore, people started to fall off the bandwagon and the momentum was gone. He tried to plea to people to get back out to support the team but it was always an impossible job to get that momentum back.

We know, just as every other fan of clubs in our bracket, leadership and enthusiasm can only go so far, it's the finances and the risks that separate clubs for the most part.

That's why it is like a business whether we like it or not. Staying amongst the fish is just as hard as getting there in the first place. (Plaice! Ha!)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 10:27:18 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 23, 2020, 10:25:25 am by Bentley Bullet »
This forum's main topic of conversation these days is about super fans calling ordinary fans fickle. What I call fickle is the number of super fans who worship those who run the club right up to the minute they leave, after which they tear them to shreds!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 10:27:23 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 23, 2020, 10:31:34 am by Glyn_Wigley »

Signing the players the manager wants with the funds available. Be passionate about the job he has to do and to do it to the best of his ability.

You really need to find out what a Chairman's job actually is.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 23, 2020, 10:36:06 am by silent majority »
This forum's main topic of conversation these days is about super fans calling ordinary fans fickle. What I call fickle is the number of super fans who worship those who run the club right up to the minute they leave, after which they tear to shreds!

I didn't know there was such a thing as a super fan. Is that your definition or one generally accepted?

I think your sarcasm is unwarranted and divisive.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 23, 2020, 10:41:00 am by graingrover »
David Blunt was CEO of Keepmoat and an obvious choice as Chairman here selected by the Bramall and Watson family .He seems the least well known of all major figures at the club to the ordinary fan .There are many media interviews of DM and players on DROS .David Blunt could and perhaps should offer to be interviewed by Liam Hoden who is obviously a regular reader of this  forum and knows best of all what fans are concerned about .

legendslounger

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 23, 2020, 10:53:00 am by legendslounger »
Blunt not interested in football. horse racing only

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 23, 2020, 10:56:45 am by Bentley Bullet »
This forum's main topic of conversation these days is about super fans calling ordinary fans fickle. What I call fickle is the number of super fans who worship those who run the club right up to the minute they leave, after which they tear to shreds!

I didn't know there was such a thing as a super fan. Is that your definition or one generally accepted?

I think your sarcasm is unwarranted and divisive.

I call a super fan someone who tells others how to be a proper supporter. There are plenty on this forum.

I've absolutely no objection to showing respect for those running the club and have always done so myself. However, they are not Gods and aren't there to be worshipped as though through fear that they might leave.

I don't think treating them like sugar daddies is a sign of respect.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 10:59:51 am by Bentley Bullet »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 23, 2020, 10:59:49 am by IDM »
Questioning folks’ opinions - or more accurately questioning the reasoning behind their opinions - isn’t telling them how to be a proper supporter..

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 23, 2020, 11:01:54 am by johnny rovers »

One of the cats has jumped out of the bag😉

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 23, 2020, 11:10:01 am by silent majority »
Questioning folks’ opinions - or more accurately questioning the reasoning behind their opinions - isn’t telling them how to be a proper supporter..

Absolutely.

There's an awful lot of assumptions and falsehoods in BB's response, which says more about him and his view of the club than it does about anybody else on this forum.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 11:14:23 am by silent majority »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 23, 2020, 11:10:14 am by Bentley Bullet »
In that case questioning the slow movement of signings isn't telling the board and manager how to run the club properly either. Supporters buy into the club and pay for the right to ask questions
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 11:14:45 am by Bentley Bullet »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 23, 2020, 11:17:07 am by IDM »
And there is a difference between reasonable questioning and posters claiming as facts that the owners/board aren’t spending (or able to spend) etc.. or posting “sack the board” after a close defeat against a very in form team.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 23, 2020, 11:22:28 am by Metalmicky »

Wonder if he has a tip for Saturday - I'll be at Town Moor....

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 23, 2020, 11:33:27 am by Bentley Bullet »
And there is a difference between reasonable questioning and posters claiming as facts that the owners/board aren’t spending (or able to spend) etc.. or posting “sack the board” after a close defeat against a very in form team.

And I'm not representing or condoning those posters. I'm talking for myself, and others in a similar situation who have supported the club for donkey's years and don't need telling that we've been doing it wrong.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 23, 2020, 11:34:23 am by selby »
 I see a super fan as a guy who sees Doncaster Rovers as their team, follows their results whether they can get to games or not,and always wants them to do well, most if not all want that,and have different opinions that they are all entitled to, that is part of the fascination of football.
  I see a super super fan as a guy who puts £1 million a year into a club and basically stays in the background, and let's the football people employed at the club get on with managing the football side as well as they can with the resources available, and deliver the best team they can for us the supporters, all this while trying to improve the infrastructure of the clubs training, player welfare facilities, and staff, all while taking criticism about finances. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 11:36:33 am by selby »

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 23, 2020, 04:36:47 pm by nortikorner »
Selby
Is that not the same as any man or women that buys a season ticket every year
Because it does not equate to a Million pounds  in many cases it is the only disposable income they  have got .
Are they super fans and do they have a right to discuss  the playing style or the players or manager .
We have had cases on here about the catering but nobody as criticised  the  poster  on that

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 23, 2020, 05:00:17 pm by selby »
  Norti, there are people who never attend a game who are great fans of the club. Buying a season ticket doesn't make you any better as a fan to a guy that doesn't go to matches, great that they can afford to and want to buy a season ticket,but the person who can't get for whatever reason, and thinks of the Rovers as their club deserves to be respected as well.
  The board however must have realised that the minute they joined the board it was going to cost them significant amounts of money every year. That is some commitment no matter how much wealth they have, and I would imagine that there are quite a few smaller clubs would give their right arm to have the leadership we have at the helm.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012