Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 08:17:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 934906 times)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #15150 on December 18, 2021, 04:34:55 pm by normal rules »
Now I'm no expert, as a few people on here kindly point out on a regular basis so I will ask the experts on here a quick question.

With the amount of tests done everyday and the amount of positive tests sent in everyday. How is it possible for the labs to do the genome sequencing on every test to differentiate between delta and omicron and have the results out the very next day?

Oh, and watch out for Delta and Omicron to team up to make a super varient which the boosters won't touch so you'll need a booster to boost your booster.

I’m on your page Nudga!
And if this forum is a representation of society then we are already buggered!

This is unknown territory for me , witnessing extreme gullibility from reasonably educated and what seem like well balanced people…..

There is no evidence to support the new virus being a killer of millions yet people are talking of taking the most extreme precautions……not because they must, but because they want to!

Job done, ….let the culling begin

Careful what you wish for shaggy. Although omicron may not be a problem lethality wise, the nature of coronovirus is such that we may be a few mutations away from it fizzling out. Conversely, we may only be a few mutations away from a 100% lethal variant. Of the lethality of rabies. Certain death to anyone that catches it.
This is not fiction. It is possible.

The intelligent people may be aware that omicron is not a killer, but an isolator.
London have declared a major incident today. Not because people are dying, not because the hospitals are full to busting(yet), but because thousands of front line workers are having to isolate . One third of all London fire engines are grounded currently being a good example.
There will be a House fire in London in the coming days that may not get the response  it should due to omicron. And people may die.
Similar in nhs, paramedics, ambulance drivers, police.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #15151 on December 18, 2021, 04:43:46 pm by Nudga »
Nudga.

They don't genetically sequence every test. They do it on a proportion of the tests and use robust, well established statistical methods to estimate the overall figures.

It's the sort of process that underpins much of the planning that makes the modern world work. You could read up on it if you wanted, instead of vanishing down whatever conspiracy theory rabbit hole pops up in your feed.

It was a genuine question you arrogant Kitson.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15152 on December 18, 2021, 04:51:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It was a genuine answer. And well-meaning advice.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #15153 on December 18, 2021, 04:52:22 pm by Nudga »
No, it was snidey and expected from the resident expert.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15154 on December 18, 2021, 05:02:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
No, it was well meaning. You'd be in a much healthier place if you stopped letting t**ts pollute your mind and actually dug into the real underpinning science.

Your call.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #15155 on December 18, 2021, 05:03:19 pm by normal rules »
The sun, mirror, star, mail and express will no doubt be running stories on Monday about another lockdown after Xmas.
Cue shelf clearing of bog roll and pasta again.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #15156 on December 18, 2021, 05:13:37 pm by Nudga »
No, it was well meaning. You'd be in a much healthier place if you stopped letting t**ts pollute your mind and actually dug into the real underpinning science.

Your call.

I'm in a healthy place now thank you but it would be even better if you'd stop trolling me.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #15157 on December 18, 2021, 05:20:16 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Now I'm no expert, as a few people on here kindly point out on a regular basis so I will ask the experts on here a quick question.

With the amount of tests done everyday and the amount of positive tests sent in everyday. How is it possible for the labs to do the genome sequencing on every test to differentiate between delta and omicron and have the results out the very next day?

Oh, and watch out for Delta and Omicron to team up to make a super varient which the boosters won't touch so you'll need a booster to boost your booster.

I’m on your page Nudga!

This is unknown territory for me , witnessing extreme gullibility from reasonably educated and what seem like well balanced people…..

There is no evidence to support the new virus being a killer of millions yet people are talking of taking the most extreme precautions……not because they must, but because they want to!

Careful what you wish for shaggy. Although omicron may not be a problem lethality wise, the nature of coronovirus is such that we may be a few mutations away from it fizzling out. Conversely, we may only be a few mutations away from a 100% lethal variant. Of the lethality of rabies. Certain death to anyone that catches it.

The intelligent people may be aware that omicron is not a killer, but an isolator.
London have declared a major incident today. Not because people are dying, not because the hospitals are full to busting(yet), but because thousands of front line workers are having to isolate . One third of all London fire engines are grounded currently being a good example.
There will be a House fire in London in the coming days that may not get the response  it should due to omicron. And people may die.

Again though that's a decision for politicians. If they think that those isolating are causing harm and deaths that are higher than the virus, then remove their isolation and have them working. That's the decision politicians and scientists are there to make.

We still need to see just how bad the variant is. If it isn't that bad then it's a hugely different complexion.

Based on our understanding of the original virus, with a serious issue of immunity, restrictions are the only answer.  But if the variant has made it much less severe then that's not appropriate.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15158 on December 18, 2021, 05:24:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Isn't it the definition of a snowflake that they demand the right to say what they want then get arsey when folk point out where they are wrong?

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #15159 on December 18, 2021, 05:28:19 pm by Nudga »
I haven't demanded anything. What makes me wrong? The NHS chief bitch lying? The ONS manipulating data? Pfizer and the FDA not releasing trial data for 55 years? The motorcyclist who died in a head on collision being put into the covid death stats??

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15160 on December 18, 2021, 05:29:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BFYP.

The problem with that "wait and see" approach is that by the time you know for certain, it's too late to do anything if the situation is bad.

Go back to 1939. We knew the Luftwaffe were going to attack us at some point. We didn't know how strong they would be. Imagine if we'd said, "Let's not waste too much time and money on building new Spitfires and training pilots till we get some clear evidence how big the threat will be."

One one hand, the worst case scenario is that you've overspent on precautions.
On the other, the worst case scenario is that you've lost the War.

It's called "asymmetric risk". Sometimes, the balance of risk means that you should act without having  full information, because the consequence of not acting and things not working out well is too great.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #15161 on December 18, 2021, 05:35:30 pm by normal rules »

I’m on your page Nudga!

Again though that's a decision for politicians. If they think that those isolating are causing harm and deaths that are higher than the virus, then remove their isolation and have them working. That's the decision politicians and scientists are there to make.

We still need to see just how bad the variant is. If it isn't that bad then it's a hugely different complexion.

Based on our understanding of the original virus, with a serious issue of immunity, restrictions are the only answer.  But if the variant has made it much less severe then that's not appropriate.

It would be a very brave government that just said, right , get on with it everybody, live with this, and if you get it, you should go to work if you can.
But it’s not that easy is it?
People go off sick with common cold. Sickness would be equally as damaging as isolation. Mass sickness. Mass isolation. Same thing.

Think about the basic symptoms of covid. Headache, fatigue, nausea.
Put that in a workplace setting, driving a lorry, a train, flying a plane, operating machinery, treating a patient. The list goes on.
Isolation is the only way to deal with this.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15162 on December 18, 2021, 05:36:07 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Nudga.
This is why I lose my shit with you. You are an intelligent man. But you keep repeating these minor points to justify your conspiracy thinking.

Meanwhile, when the shit that you peddle turns out to be dangerously wrong you don't reflect on the motives or the credibility of the person pushing it and ask yourself whether they are bullshitting you. You jump onto the next story and invest in that.

And all the while, you totally ignore the big picture that's right in front of you in flashing lights.

Here's one for you. What about the 150,000+ people who have f**king died from this virus in this country? And the twice that number who haven't died because of the actions that we've (most of us) taken to minimise the risk?

What about them?

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #15163 on December 18, 2021, 05:40:39 pm by BVB »

I’m on your page Nudga!

I choose to take precautions based on what I see as the factual evidence for and against, not on what other people are doing.
If that makes me gullible in your eyes, well, that’s no great loss to me.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15164 on December 18, 2021, 05:41:14 pm by wilts rover »
RIP John Morgan, drummer with West Country legends the Wurzels, died in hospital from covid today. It is believed he caught it at a recent gig at Manchester Academy. I am sure there are plenty of opportunities online for the covid deniers to offer your condolences/tell them it is fake, to his family:

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2021-12-18/wurzels-drummer-john-morgan-dies-after-contracting-covid-19-on-tour

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #15165 on December 18, 2021, 05:45:37 pm by Nudga »
Oh f**k off Wilts. I'm done.

kirk

• Forum Member
« Reply #15166 on December 18, 2021, 05:48:37 pm by kirk »
RIP John Morgan, drummer with West Country legends the Wurzels, died in hospital from covid today. It is believed he caught it at a recent gig at Manchester Academy. I am sure there are plenty of opportunities online for the covid deniers to offer your condolences/tell them it is fake, to his family:

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2021-12-18/wurzels-drummer-john-morgan-dies-after-contracting-covid-19-on-tour

And how many deniers do you know.

Bet your in favour of lockdown and retired. Sat there no matter what happens your good !!

And that’s not having a go at retried people only this idiot.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15167 on December 18, 2021, 05:59:37 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
We'd better hope and pray that Omicron really IS much milder. We in South Yorks are about 3-4 days behind London on this wave. This is how London numbers are panning out.

https://twitter.com/theosanderson/status/1471907339397738502

mugnapper

• Forum Member
« Reply #15168 on December 18, 2021, 06:25:47 pm by mugnapper »
What does David Icke have to say about vaccines? I know I could google it, but I bet someone on here knows.

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #15169 on December 18, 2021, 06:44:07 pm by BVB »

Bet your in favour of lockdown and retired. Sat there no matter what happens your good !!

Kirk you’re not alone in your distrust of those in authority and their abuse of power - you only have to read through the various threads to see that.
However, in this case, there’s only one idiot, and it’s not Wilts.

Regards
BVB

kirk

• Forum Member
« Reply #15170 on December 18, 2021, 07:05:54 pm by kirk »

Kirk you’re not alone in your distrust of those in authority and their abuse of power - you only have to read through the various threads to see that.
However, in this case, there’s only one idiot, and it’s not Wilts.

Regards
BVB

People that are not in favour of lockdowns, doesn’t make them all Covid deniers, just as those in favour are not all sheeple, yourself excluded!

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #15171 on December 18, 2021, 07:16:51 pm by BVB »
Lol - But I too am not in favour of lockdowns, though can see why they may be needed.
If that makes me a sheep, well fine.

My sympathy to the family of the Wurzels’ drummer.
BVB

kirk

• Forum Member
« Reply #15172 on December 18, 2021, 07:23:55 pm by kirk »
Lol - But I too am not in favour of lockdowns, though can see why they may be needed.

BVB

My sympathy also. Having lost both my parents since the start of lockdown and I’m no even 50 yet…I can appreciate the pain caused by such tragic event.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15173 on December 18, 2021, 08:12:47 pm by SydneyRover »
I wouldn't think this forum is representative shaggy, 98% + male, mainly over 40-50-60 take your pick. Representative of a football forum, possibly.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #15174 on December 18, 2021, 08:38:18 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

I’m on your page Nudga!

It would be a very brave government that just said, right , get on with it everybody, live with this, and if you get it, you should go to work if you can.
But it’s not that easy is it?
People go off sick with common cold. Sickness would be equally as damaging as isolation. Mass sickness. Mass isolation. Same thing.

Think about the basic symptoms of covid. Headache, fatigue, nausea.
Put that in a workplace setting, driving a lorry, a train, flying a plane, operating machinery, treating a patient. The list goes on.
Isolation is the only way to deal with this.

Absolutely and as both you and bst say it's not a risk you can take.  It's a very difficult call to make hence why they will and have gone for a mid point (if it wasn't Christmas we'd be in lockdown I'm sure).

They probably should and will bring in restrictions, But if the variant proves not to be severe they have to respond quickly and open things up.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #15175 on December 18, 2021, 08:44:58 pm by roversdude »
Just a thought if infections are twice as many as official figures then does that not suggest that the hospitalisation rate is even lower

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #15176 on December 18, 2021, 09:15:13 pm by BVB »

BVB

My sympathy also. Having lost both my parents since the start of lockdown and I’m no even 50 yet…I can appreciate the pain caused by such tragic event.

Kirk - so sorry to hear that -  can’t even start to think how devastating that has been for you.
Hope you’ve got folks around you to help ease that pain.
 :(
BVB

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #15177 on December 18, 2021, 09:25:23 pm by roversdude »

BVB

Kirk - so sorry to hear that -  can’t even start to think how devastating that has been for you.
Hope you’ve got folks around you to help ease that pain.
 :(
BVB

Echo that Kirk

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15178 on December 18, 2021, 09:56:02 pm by wilts rover »

Too many.

Nope not retired, been working all the way through and I am not in favour of people becoming sick and/or dying due to government inaction. Whatever you or anyone else thinks you can't wish away an invisble virus.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15179 on December 18, 2021, 10:29:53 pm by drfchound »
Just a thought if infections are twice as many as official figures then does that not suggest that the hospitalisation rate is even lower

I said this yesterday rd but the person who gave the figures didn’t reply.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012