Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 10:48:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 940144 times)

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1740 on April 09, 2020, 08:30:07 pm by Metalmicky »
Worldometer site has all figures bar UK? 

Figure is 881......

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1741 on April 09, 2020, 08:34:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
What the government said - don't go and visit your parents

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/apr/09/robert-jenricks-messages-to-the-public-we-need-to-stay-at-home

What the government did - these rules dont apply to me I can go and visit my parents

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/cabinet-minister-robert-jenrick-visited-his-parents-during-covid-19-lockdown

What a f**king idiot.

I assume he will be resigning immediately? Like the Chief Medical Officer in Scotland did this week?

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #1742 on April 09, 2020, 08:40:10 pm by turnbull for england »
I've shopped for my parents throughout this, once a week. Live round corner and they haven't left house in 4 weeks. If I lived an hour an hour away id still do it if there was no one else mp or not. Its not like the Scottish 2nd debacle, it's making sure your parents are fed

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #1743 on April 09, 2020, 08:44:55 pm by Metalmicky »
I've shopped for my parents throughout this, once a week. Live round corner and they haven't left house in 4 weeks. If I lived an hour an hour away id still do it if there was no one else mp or not. Its not like the Scottish 2nd debacle, it's making sure your parents are fed

He also took prescriptions and didn't actually go in to see his parents........ he's still a pratt though...

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1744 on April 09, 2020, 10:05:48 pm by wilts rover »

Yes but would you tell other people to do it (if you read the links he tells other people not to bring food for their parents if they live away - it should be organised in the local community as was happening for his parents) and then do it yourself?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1745 on April 09, 2020, 10:35:46 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Why is he needing to take stuff to his parents'?

I heard Matt Hancock tell the country 5 weeks ago that the Govt had arranged for supermarkets to arrange deliveries for isolated people. Surely it's not taken them this long to sort it?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1746 on April 09, 2020, 10:43:38 pm by SydneyRover »
see without johnson at the helm they're hopeless  :lol:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1747 on April 09, 2020, 10:48:43 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

I heard Matt Hancock tell the country 5 weeks ago that the Govt had arranged for supermarkets to arrange deliveries for isolated people. Surely it's not taken them this long to sort it?

In case it didn't come across, that was irony of course.

And yes of course I'd do the same for my mother if she didn't have local community members looking after her.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1748 on April 09, 2020, 11:06:27 pm by SydneyRover »
Care homes look to be a major problem not just for the recording of deaths but the death themselves.

“We are seeing underreporting of the number of deaths,” said Prof Martin Green, the chief executive of Care UK, which represents the largest care providers. “Deaths might not be in the thousands yet, but it is coming up to that level. We need a proper analysis of death rates occurring across care homes, and the government should be collecting this data.”

''Around 70% of residents in one Yorkshire care home for people with dementia, operated by MHA, the UK’s largest charitable provider of care homes, are suspected of being infected. Thirteen people have died in another of MHA’s Yorkshire homes and 11 have died in a home in Northamptonshire. The provider also believes half of its care homes have cases of infection''

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/covid-19-hundreds-of-uk-care-home-deaths-not-added-to-official-toll

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #1749 on April 09, 2020, 11:53:11 pm by idler »
I have a niece that works in a care home in the Leeds area. She says that it is frightening how some have gone from looking fine to then dying within about 24-48 hours.
She is worried now but still working some of her days off to make up for staff that are off.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1750 on April 10, 2020, 12:40:08 am by BillyStubbsTears »
idler.

I cannot begin to express how much we as a country owe to people like your niece.

That clapping thing every Thursday night. It's about the best we can do, but I hope she realises that it is coming from folks' hearts.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1751 on April 10, 2020, 01:06:17 am by bpoolrover »
If he is like he said delivering medication he has done nothing wrong

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1752 on April 10, 2020, 01:07:24 am by bpoolrover »

if your parents needed medication would you go and give it them?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1753 on April 10, 2020, 02:09:53 am by BillyStubbsTears »

if your parents needed medication would you go and give it them?

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=275849.msg958935#msg958935

Yes.

Of course I would.

But I would do that after being a member of a Govt that has utterly f**ked up its approach in this issue and then told other people not to do that.

It not hard, is it?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1754 on April 10, 2020, 02:38:48 am by bpoolrover »
That has nothing to do with him going to give his parents medicine as well you know

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1755 on April 10, 2020, 02:46:54 am by bpoolrover »
I didn’t actually see your other post on this issue sorry

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1756 on April 10, 2020, 09:27:26 am by IDM »
I think the don’t visit your parents thing is more about not going into the house and interacting, not touching door handles and kitchen worktops etc, not getting close enough to cough the virus towards them.

There’s no problem dropping goods on someone’s doorstep, isn’t that what happens when communities and neighbours are looking after others’ parents.?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1757 on April 10, 2020, 09:49:46 am by ravenrover »
My daughter calls round to ours with the grandchildren 2 or 3 times a week, she only lives 20mins walk away. She drops off any bits and pieces we need as  part of her daily exercise, and has a chat. She and the grandchildren stand on the front lawn we remain in the house, anything wrong with that?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1758 on April 10, 2020, 10:12:57 am by wilts rover »
Nice to hear Stanley Johnson talking about his son's recovery on the radio this morning from his house on Exmoor

That's Stanley Johnson whose main home is in London and has gone to his second home in Devon despite the government and local councils telling second homers to stay away.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #1759 on April 10, 2020, 10:19:10 am by idler »
That has nothing to do with him going to give his parents medicine as well you know
Wasn't there any other way for them to receive medication though? We live opposite a care home and there are also so sheltered housing nearby for old people. We are always seeing pharmacists vans dropping off prescriptions at the care home and the private houses. This service is a free option. Surely this must be the same around the country and an option in this case?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1760 on April 10, 2020, 10:22:40 am by wilts rover »
Again I don't have a problem with people taking groceries or medicine to their relatives or anyone else. But I am not the government minister who has been in the media for the past two weeks telling you not to do it.

Writing in the Mail on Sunday just over two weeks ago, the minister urged local communities to help out their elderly and vulnerable loved ones, rather than relatives travelling to help.

“While we create physical distance between ourselves, we must at the same time have closer social support for our neighbour,” he wrote.

Mr Jenrick's visit to his parents came after he urged other Brits not to visit their families on Mother’s Day.

“The advice today is very clear, we need to stay at home all bar the most essential activities, and by doing that we’ll protect the NHS and help to save lives,” he told Sky News.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-tory-minister-defends-driving-21843775

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1761 on April 10, 2020, 10:59:23 am by bpoolrover »
Wasn't there any other way for them to receive medication though? We live opposite a care home and there are also so sheltered housing nearby for old people. We are always seeing pharmacists vans dropping off prescriptions at the care home and the private houses. This service is a free option. Surely this must be the same around the country and an option in this case? Maybe but we would be guessing we don’t know what issues if any they have, he didn’t go in the house and stood in the garden so is there really a problem? I’m sure there are more pressing problems than trying to find scapegoats

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #1762 on April 10, 2020, 11:02:45 am by Bentley Bullet »
Nice to hear Stanley Johnson talking about his son's recovery on the radio this morning from his house on Exmoor

That's Stanley Johnson whose main home is in London and has gone to his second home in Devon despite the government and local councils telling second homers to stay away.

Is his main home in London?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1763 on April 10, 2020, 11:22:41 am by wilts rover »
According to his website he:

lives in Southwell near Newark (his constituency) and in London.

https://robertjenrick.com/about-robert/

His contact information on the Parliament website is Southwell.

https://members.parliament.uk/member/4320/contact

I can't see any reference to the £1.2mill Grade 1 listed 17th century manor in Herefordshire although it sounds very nice.

I do know he claims £2k per month for the house in Southwell but I am not sure which of the London properties he resides in, the £3 mill Westminster townhouse or the £2 mill Marleybone flat, but it does seems his main home is the one he is not living in.
I can't see any reference to the Grade 1 listed 17th century manor in Herefordshire

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1764 on April 10, 2020, 11:24:45 am by drfchound »

Is his main home in London?

Their family home is in Devon.
Even if it wasn’t, there is a case for saying he was there when the lockdown started so has to stay there.
A bit like the bloke the other day on tv who is locked down at his grandmas house and actually lives about 200 miles away.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #1765 on April 10, 2020, 12:27:19 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Correct, Hound, although I believe his house is in Somerset. Maybe Wilts will inform us of the truth.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1766 on April 10, 2020, 01:04:39 pm by SydneyRover »
Apparently his parents were lucky enough to be already receiving help from the local community, but knowing the people down there they probably refused to take them any food  :)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1767 on April 10, 2020, 01:19:24 pm by drfchound »
Apparently his parents were lucky enough to be already receiving help from the local community, but knowing the people down there they probably refused to take them any food  :)

So do you know the people down there then. 🙂

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1768 on April 10, 2020, 01:21:43 pm by SydneyRover »
I move in lots of circles hound, which helps me when I post comments containing irony  :)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1769 on April 10, 2020, 01:24:20 pm by drfchound »
You certainly do move in circles Sydney, I agree.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012