Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 10:54:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 940148 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1830 on April 11, 2020, 06:20:15 pm by Filo »
If anyone would like to search metro.co.uk/2020/04/10 coronavirus-mutated-three-distinct-strains-spread-across-world-12536852/ I will let them try and discredit Dr Peter Foster Hound from Cambridge University.

Given your past glee in calling Diane Abbott out on her maths, I’m surprised you’ve not mentioned Priti Patel’s figures on the amount of tests carried out so far

three hundred thousand, thirty four, nine hundred and seventy four thousand"

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfcdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #1831 on April 11, 2020, 06:35:20 pm by drfcdrfc »
Radio king only hears what he wants to hear.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1832 on April 11, 2020, 06:42:03 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Selby.

CiM has already pointed you to a link wherein a professor from Edinburgh University rips their methodology apart.

Now, I have no idea who is correct in this one, but a researcher being from Cambridge University doesn't make them right. In my area of work, I've seen a lot of stuff published by researchers from high ranking universities all over the world that I can categorically say is wrong. And more to the point, because what I say is worth nothing, I can categorically PROVE that it is wrong.

On this one, I'm inclined to go with the Edinburgh professor, because the criticism he makes seem, on the surface at least, to be well-grounded. And the biggest criticism is that at least one of the people who reviewed that paper is also from Cambridge University which is a massive no-no.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1833 on April 11, 2020, 06:42:34 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
If anyone would like to search metro.co.uk/2020/04/10 coronavirus-mutated-three-distinct-strains-spread-across-world-12536852/ I will let them try and discredit Dr Peter Foster Hound from Cambridge University.

Given your past glee in calling Diane Abbott out on her maths, I’m surprised you’ve not mentioned Priti Patel’s figures on the amount of tests carried out so far

three hundred thousand, thirty four, nine hundred and seventy four thousand"

And that was reading from prepared notes.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1834 on April 11, 2020, 06:44:26 pm by selby »
  There is a good article on the subject in THE MAIL ONLINE today if you care to read it. or you can wait while Tuesday and the Guardian will have the parts they want you to read.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1835 on April 11, 2020, 06:45:31 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
There you go lads. Fill your boots.

https://twitter.com/TheMendozaWoman/status/1248998239950508032

This from the same woman who said repeatedly recently that her job as Home Secretary was to come down hard on counter-terrorists.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1836 on April 11, 2020, 06:46:51 pm by Filo »
  There is a good article on the subject in THE MAIL ONLINE today if you care to read it. or you can wait while Tuesday and the Guardian will have the parts they want you to read.

Ok, now about Patel’s way with big numbers?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1837 on April 11, 2020, 06:47:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
For what it's worth, I don't like making a big deal about this sort of mistake. Dead easy to do in the heat of the moment when someone is working hard. But I know there are folk on here who a) pissed themselves laughing at Abbott for years and b) take offence if anyone suggests they are not even handed, so I wanted to help them out.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1838 on April 11, 2020, 06:55:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
11 weeks and one day after the CMO told Govt that there was a serious risk of a CV-19 pandemic, there's this announcement.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattHancock/status/1248938730976694272

Like I say, when this is over, there will be a reckoning about what the f**k the Govt was doing throughout February and early March.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1839 on April 11, 2020, 07:14:47 pm by Filo »
For what it's worth, I don't like making a big deal about this sort of mistake. Dead easy to do in the heat of the moment when someone is working hard. But I know there are folk on here who a) pissed themselves laughing at Abbott for years and b) take offence if anyone suggests they are not even handed, so I wanted to help them out.

Their silence is deafening

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1840 on April 11, 2020, 07:18:03 pm by adamtherover »
"And you can't have paranoia that if you post one piece of evidence someone will reply with something different. That's how it has to work."

Absolutely that is how science works. You postulate hypotheses about how the world works. And you check that against the evidence in front of you. And you are prepared to change your mind. That is why science is the greatest invention of humanity. It doesn't depend on faith or opinion or argument. It depends on checking ideas against facts. And the only ideas that survive are the ones that aren't contradicted by the facts.

The great quantum physicist Richard Feynman said "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment(1), it's wrong."

(1) Or any trustworthy evidence.

All that said, that's fine when you have the benefit of time to collect facts and compare them against theory. More often, like now, things are too messy or too rapidly changing for you to be able to definitively say that X is right and Y is wrong. So you make the best guess based on uncertain input. Always being prepared to change your mind as the evidence develops.

Ricky Gervais once said in an interview. If you burn every book in the world, religions will potentially die out as they are basically people's opinions down the ages,.but science is science, the tests will.always give the same results . Physics, chemistry etc Is constant, sooner or later, the science books will be rewritten exactly the same...

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #1841 on April 11, 2020, 07:30:53 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
I move in lots of circles hound, which helps me when I post comments containing irony  :)

it amazing what you come across on the internet "accidentaly". Sydney out of interest can you tell me what your surname is then i can check if you are on this list .........................   might explain why you are leaving Oz ??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_criminals

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1842 on April 11, 2020, 07:32:17 pm by wilts rover »
I don't know if anyone has noticed but the UK has almost reached 10000 deaths from covid 19 - 24 days after the first death was recorded.

Italy also reached 10000 deaths - 24 days after the first death was recorded.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #1843 on April 11, 2020, 07:42:56 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
I don't know if anyone has noticed but the UK has almost reached 10000 deaths from covid 19 - 24 days after the first death was recorded.

Italy also reached 10000 deaths - 24 days after the first death was recorded.

what i did notice was the day the total reached  a total of 1,000 total deaths they did not tell you how many had died in the last day ... meaning the report i saw concentrated on breaking 4 figures  headline .   

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #1844 on April 11, 2020, 07:43:58 pm by scawsby steve »
"And you can't have paranoia that if you post one piece of evidence someone will reply with something different. That's how it has to work."

Absolutely that is how science works. You postulate hypotheses about how the world works. And you check that against the evidence in front of you. And you are prepared to change your mind. That is why science is the greatest invention of humanity. It doesn't depend on faith or opinion or argument. It depends on checking ideas against facts. And the only ideas that survive are the ones that aren't contradicted by the facts.

The great quantum physicist Richard Feynman said "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment(1), it's wrong."

All that said, that's fine when you have the benefit of time to collect facts and compare them against theory. More often, like now, things are too messy or too rapidly changing for you to be able to definitively say that X is right and Y is wrong. So you make the best guess based on uncertain input. Always being prepared to change your mind as the evidence develops.

Ricky Gervais once said in an interview. If you burn every book in the world, religions will potentially die out as they are basically people's opinions down the ages,.but science is science, the tests will.always give the same results . Physics, chemistry etc Is constant, sooner or later, the science books will be rewritten exactly the same...

I wouldn't use Ricky Gervais's opinions as a template for anything in life.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1845 on April 11, 2020, 07:47:53 pm by wilts rover »

I can't find anything similar to Dr Foster's article in the Mail Online today? There is an article about the different variations in Iceland - and how many people have it without showing symptoms - but BRR put that info up in much greater depth last week.

There is an article from 29th March which found 8 different mutations across the world - non any more deadlier than the others. Nor does Dr Foster in that Metro article say that any of the 3 mutations he found was more dealier than the others - just different.

The Mail article also has some very wizzy images which show how it spread across the world - with London as the hub. Nice one Boris.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8164615/Genetic-sequencing-data-map-shows-London-coronavirus-hub.html

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1846 on April 11, 2020, 08:03:44 pm by wilts rover »
Heck of read but very worthwhile. Unless you are a Tory fanboy then I advise you not to bother your blood pressure reading how this government has let the country down - with tragic consequences.

A National Scandal: A Timeline of the UK Government's Woeful Response To The Coronavirus Crises

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/04/11/a-national-scandal-a-timeline-of-the-uk-governments-woeful-response-to-the-coronavirus-crisis/

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1847 on April 11, 2020, 08:08:34 pm by adamtherover »

what? science tests will be a constant under the same conditions even if they are done a 1000 years apart? 

What part of that do you disagree with? Or or are you being obtuse just because you dont like a certain brand of comedy?

Hes a massive campaigner for animal rights, i suppose you disagree with that as well as you didnt like the office?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 08:16:49 pm by adamtherover »

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1848 on April 11, 2020, 08:14:31 pm by Copps is Magic »
Maybe she stumbled on the figures because pretty much every country in the Western world has done more testing than us per capita. That would certainly cause somekind of glitch in my mind.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1849 on April 11, 2020, 08:36:37 pm by Sprotyrover »
I move in lots of circles hound, which helps me when I post comments containing irony  :)

it amazing what you come across on the internet "accidentaly". Sydney out of interest can you tell me what your surname is then i can check if you are on this list .........................   might explain why you are leaving Oz ??

So the 'Whinging Pom is on his way back tail between his legs (possibly) from the Promised land of Milk and Honey. Don't go shooting yer mouth off at Keepmoat Cobber some of us might remind you of what you had to say about this land when you abandoned it!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1850 on April 11, 2020, 08:57:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Shocking how many of the NHS employees who have succumbed to CV-19 are BAME.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52242856

Similar thing going on in the USA. It is massively disproportionately hitting Afro-Americans.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #1851 on April 11, 2020, 09:22:47 pm by scawsby steve »

what? science tests will be a constant under the same conditions even if they are done a 1000 years apart? 

What part of that do you disagree with? Or or are you being obtuse just because you dont like a certain brand of comedy?

Hes a massive campaigner for animal rights, i suppose you disagree with that as well as you didnt like the office?

Just my opinion of him mate.

Science is a wonderful thing, but it can't explain everything.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1852 on April 11, 2020, 09:25:23 pm by Copps is Magic »
But at least its honest about that, unlike religion.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #1853 on April 11, 2020, 09:57:22 pm by scawsby steve »
But at least its honest about that, unlike religion.

I didn't mention religion. If people hate religion, that's their concern.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1854 on April 11, 2020, 10:08:49 pm by SydneyRover »

Yep, I'm on the list   :)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1855 on April 11, 2020, 10:16:08 pm by SydneyRover »

So the 'Whinging Pom is on his way back tail between his legs (possibly) from the Promised land of Milk and Honey. Don't go shooting yer mouth off at Keepmoat Cobber some of us might remind you of what you had to say about this land when you abandoned it!

Just waiting for the nod on public housing  :)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1856 on April 11, 2020, 10:25:50 pm by SydneyRover »
Someone asked about this the other day.

''Coronavirus: Remembering the NHS workers who have died''

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52242856

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1857 on April 11, 2020, 10:35:40 pm by SydneyRover »
''Coronavirus: Priti Patel 'sorry if people feel there have been failings' on PPE''

The apology you issue when you don't want to issue an apology I suppose?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52252470

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1858 on April 11, 2020, 10:44:32 pm by wilts rover »
''Coronavirus: Priti Patel 'sorry if people feel there have been failings' on PPE''

The apology you issue when you don't want to issue an apology I suppose?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52252470

Or as I have just read:

It's like the owners of the Titanic saying they are sorry if people feel there were not enough lifeboats.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #1859 on April 11, 2020, 10:56:03 pm by DonnyOsmond »
It's not like they ran Exercise Cygnus to get an idea on what would happen four years ago and ignored it...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012