Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 02:27:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 941421 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #9570 on January 22, 2021, 10:54:30 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Vaccine supply to the North East and Yorkshire is being halved because London and the South East have been crap at rolling it out, North East and Yorkshire being penalised for being good at at. I wonder if that would have happened the other way around

Supposedly this is actually untrue. But even if it's not, give it to the most vulnerable regardless of where they live.  It's an absolute non issue and we are one country. It just causes pointless division.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9571 on January 22, 2021, 11:02:03 am by belton rover »
Vaccine supply to the North East and Yorkshire is being halved because London and the South East have been crap at rolling it out, North East and Yorkshire being penalised for being good at at. I wonder if that would have happened the other way around

I would hope the same thing would happen. If there really was a North/South divide when it came to the roll out, then surely the South would have it better from the off.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9572 on January 22, 2021, 11:08:13 am by Filo »

I would hope the same thing would happen. If there really was a North/South divide when it came to the roll out, then surely the South would have it better from the off.

It appears that London and the South East are not as efficient as North Ast and Yorkshire in getting jabs into arms

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9573 on January 22, 2021, 11:16:29 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Supposedly this is actually untrue. But even if it's not, give it to the most vulnerable regardless of where they live.  It's an absolute non issue and we are one country. It just causes pointless division.

It was reported on R4 this morning as being the case. Not saying that's a slam dunk but this isn't just some internet rumour.

Surely the key thing is getting as many doses in as many arms as quickly as possible, wherever they are?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9574 on January 22, 2021, 11:19:50 am by BillyStubbsTears »

BFYP.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-55759857

Note the skillful (ahem) use of words.

Zahawi clearly DOESN'T deny that the provision of vaccines to Yorkshire is being halved. He says no vaccines are being taken away.

Classic example. Weasel words that avoid the actual question, ending up (and this is not an insult) deceiving intelligent but busy people like you.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #9575 on January 22, 2021, 01:02:42 pm by River Don »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #9576 on January 22, 2021, 01:26:55 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

It was reported on R4 this morning as being the case. Not saying that's a slam dunk but this isn't just some internet rumour.

Surely the key thing is getting as many doses in as many arms as quickly as possible, wherever they are?

I would have thought an even nationwide spread would be more effective in reducing transmission more quickly but I'm sure that is modelled.  More worrying in the data is why Wales and Scotland are performing so poorly.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9577 on January 22, 2021, 01:32:58 pm by ravenrover »
Festivals, covid insurance difficulty

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jan/22/government-stalls-on-insurance-scheme-for-uk-music-festivals
If Glastonbury was to go ahead this year the preparations for the infrastructure would have to start now as it is such a huge operation. With no guarantee that they would be allowed to operate in June and the problem with insurance are the reasons they have decided to cancel now, cancelling last years festival cost them millions, I read somewhere that they had a contigency fund of over £50m to allow for a 1 uear cancellation they couldn't start to organise this years without going bust in the event of it being cancelled.
Regarding the tickets being sold out those lucky enough to get one for last year were allowed to carry them over to this year and now to next year hence why it is sold out. There may hopefully be a resale this year of any returned tickets only a £50 deposit was required in 2020 which is returnable in full up to March this year if a person is unable to attend
Last year was the 1st time since 2013 I didn't get a ticket, hopefully I'll get one in the resale to attend on 2022 as a 70year old.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #9578 on January 22, 2021, 01:57:52 pm by redarmy82 »
Wouldn't bank on Glastonbury happening in 2022 either.

It's becoming more and more clear that the vaccine isn't going to prevent restrictions being needed.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9579 on January 22, 2021, 05:13:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

I would have thought an even nationwide spread would be more effective in reducing transmission more quickly but I'm sure that is modelled.

I'd certainly hope they were basing decisions like this on strong scientific evidence. From experience, I'd also expect a Cabinet Minister to say they were "following the science" if they were. (Actually, from experience, I'd also expect them to say that if they weren't in some cases, which is unfortunate, but that's where we are.) I don't think Zahawi said that (although I admit I've had a busy one and I've not read that whole piece) which is odd.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 05:15:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #9580 on January 22, 2021, 06:22:27 pm by River Don »
They are saying in today's presser that the UK varient looks like it's 30% more lethal than the original.

You noticed the possibility of this in the numbers a bit back BST.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #9581 on January 22, 2021, 06:51:18 pm by redarmy82 »
Apparently Hancock has said that the vaccine is only half as effective as the South African strain.

How the hell can we ever go back to normality and manage the constant mutations?

Just isn't going to happen.

I don't know what the solution is. We either stay in a world with restrictions much like what we have now, or we take our chances. The latter isn't really an option as the health service would crumble.

What a mess.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9582 on January 22, 2021, 07:31:54 pm by drfchound »

Agreed mate that the most vulnerable should get priority for the jabs.
There will be plenty of people in the North who have elderly family in the South and I feel sure they will applaud this move.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9583 on January 22, 2021, 07:32:43 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
They are saying in today's presser that the UK varient looks like it's 30% more lethal than the original.

You noticed the possibility of this in the numbers a bit back BST.

I've no idea if what I saw in the numbers is associated with that. But it's indisputable that the rate of deaths per positive test went up from 1:50 across summer and autumn to about 1:30 in December. It's come down a bit since - more like 1:40. That would tally with the 30-40% increase in lethality reported today.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9584 on January 22, 2021, 07:35:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Apparently Hancock has said that the vaccine is only half as effective as the South African strain.

How the hell can we ever go back to normality and manage the constant mutations?

Just isn't going to happen.

I don't know what the solution is. We either stay in a world with restrictions much like what we have now, or we take our chances. The latter isn't really an option as the health service would crumble.

What a mess.

If he's said that, it goes against what the immunologists I've hear on R4 tonight say. They said there are some indications that some of the features of the SA mutation might make vaccines less effective. Lots of caveats. No numbers.

On the positive side, the head of the team who developed the Oxford vaccine said it would take only a few months to tweak the vaccine IF the existing one didn't work against emerging mutations.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #9585 on January 22, 2021, 07:45:37 pm by River Don »
The Pfizer vaccine is better than the Oxford one on that score. They can tweak it in a matter of a few weeks.

I imagine there might be UK and SA specific versions along very soon.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9586 on January 22, 2021, 08:07:01 pm by wilts rover »

This a very important story.

And tells you everything you need to know about Boris Johnson's government and how they attempt to manipulate the public and press when there are stories around they dont like.

From the editor of the Yorkshire Post who broke the story:

The story was the culmination of over 10 hours’ research, reading, questions and conversations undertaken by our reporter, Robyn Vinter. In her determination to establish the facts of the matter on behalf of those individuals and families who sit anxiously waiting for the inoculation that could well save their lives, Robyn asked questions of: clinical commissioning groups, local authorities, several MPs (on all sides), the Department of Health and NHS England. We also had it on good authority from some of the most senior executives in local government that our story is absolutely correct.

Scroll forwards just a few hours and Dr Nikita Kanani, Director of Primary Care for NHS England confirmed in an interview to BBC Radio 4’s Today programme that, in actual fact, Robyn’s journalism was as accurate as it was thorough. The Yorkshire Post was vindicated.

Never in my career as a journalist have I come under such a co-ordinated attack from those in power. I remain perplexed and worried that people entrusted to do the right thing by their constituents would take a leaf out of Donald Trump’s Fake News playbook and use it in anger right here in Yorkshire to belittle the county’s newspaper of record. But that is what happened

Those MPs - people you have put your trust and faith in - wanted you to believe our story was ‘untrue, dangerous and wrong’. It was, of course, none of those things, but they wanted you to believe them, not us. The experience has left me with a deep sense of unease. One that has compelled me to share the experience with you.

Think about it: during the course of those few hours on Thursday evening, a story published in the public interest was subjected to a co-ordinated discrediting campaign from people who, above all else, should act in the public interest. In the eye of that storm I was left feeling intimidated and stressed. I became anxious and began to doubt myself and worry about the consequences. I would be lying if I said I didn’t consider whether or not I should publish the story - not because of any misgivings about the quality of Robyn Vinter’s journalism but because of the state of mind induced in me by the barrage of objections coming from Conservative MPs. It was utterly disorienting and ravaged me with self-doubt.

But, then, that was the intention, wasn’t it?

full story here:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/opinion/vaccines-national-effort-national-interest-letter-editor-3109891

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9587 on January 22, 2021, 08:43:36 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Wilts
Wow. Just...Jesus.

And the Yorkshire Post has traditionally been a Tory supporting paper.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9588 on January 22, 2021, 09:21:48 pm by wilts rover »

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #9589 on January 23, 2021, 11:01:12 am by Ldr »
Just a post jab update for those interested. 2 Days now and nothing more than the usual sore spot you tend to get with any vaccination

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #9590 on January 23, 2021, 11:42:13 am by goalkick »
Had mine yesterday,feel ok. Went to keepmoat for it. Was organised very professionally everybody involved were kind and helpful.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9591 on January 23, 2021, 08:13:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
More very good news on the vaccination program.

The week just gone, Sat-Fri, we were pretty much at the target of 2.5 million doses administered. That is excellent news. Carry on like that and all the most vulnerable would be covered by mid Feb, which was the Govt target. Very, very big praise to everyone involved in this. Long way still to go but hopefully we will start putting the worst behind us over the next few weeks.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #9592 on January 23, 2021, 08:30:50 pm by turnbull for england »

The week just gone, Sat-Fri, we were pretty much at the target of 2.5 million doses administered. That is excellent news. Carry on like that and all the most vulnerable would be covered by mid Feb, which was the Govt target. Very, very big praise to everyone involved in this. Long way still to go but hopefully we will start putting the worst behind us over the next few weeks.

Wife's heavily involved in the local roll out  I cannot begin to tell you how hard they and those involved have worked and are working to get it up and running

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9593 on January 23, 2021, 08:33:03 pm by wilts rover »
Just a post jab update for those interested. 2 Days now and nothing more than the usual sore spot you tend to get with any vaccination

Mum had hers yesterday.

I asked her if her arm was sore and if she was having any after affects. She said her arm was fine but she was feeling quite tired. I said thats probably not from the jab but more to do with you getting up 2 hours earlier than you normally do and walking further than you have in total in the past six weeks!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9594 on January 23, 2021, 08:42:38 pm by Filo »

Yes it’s going well, now to listen to the experts that are saying the time between jabs should be halved to 6 weeks

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9595 on January 23, 2021, 08:44:12 pm by drfchound »
Who was it that suggested 12 weeks between jabs though.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9596 on January 23, 2021, 08:47:07 pm by Filo »

Well I hope this is the answer you are looking for, because you probably already know, Tony Blair was the first one I heard mention it, but again he’s not an expert

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9597 on January 23, 2021, 08:49:06 pm by drfchound »

Well I hope this is the answer you are looking for, because you probably already know, Tony Blair was the first one I heard mention it, but again he’s not an expert

No I didn’t know, which I why I asked.
Blair might have been the first that you heard mention it but I can’t imagine that some other medical experts didn’t make the initial decision.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #9598 on January 23, 2021, 08:49:19 pm by River Don »

Yes it’s going well, now to listen to the experts that are saying the time between jabs should be halved to 6 weeks

That's for the Pzizer jab. The Oxford vaccine which most people are having may not be the same.

Took my mum for her jab at Askham Bar today. The set up there was very impressive. Lots of volunteers directing traffic, organising queues and generally being helpful. In and out in twenty minutes. They must e done thousands today.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #9599 on January 23, 2021, 08:52:07 pm by Filo »

That's for the Pzizer jab. The Oxford vaccine which most people are having may not be the same.

Took my mum for her jab at Askham Bar today. The set up there was very impressive. Lots of volunteers directing traffic, organising queues and generally being helpful. In and out in twenty minutes. They must e done thousands today.

The people I know and have taken to a vaccination centre have all had the Pfizer jab

TinyPortal © 2005-2012