Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 02:45:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Fleetwood game  (Read 9796 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Fleetwood game
« on January 29, 2020, 09:56:58 am by selby »
  Another place we have found it difficult to find any form or rhythm in games on past visits, the most memorable thing about past visits being the fish and chips before the game.
  Always difficult to play against, the playing surface not always the best, their style of play always giving us questions to answer, they have players who can score goals, and always seem to have a very good keeper.
  Last night they played out a 0-0 draw against an in form Coventry City, although Ched Evans and Paddy Madden missed chances they should have scored from in windy conditions, and a crowd of 2506 in attendance makes one wonder just how they continually attract players like they do and compete at this level. And they always seem to have a very good keeper, the latest being from the Doncaster area, and has played well against us in the past.
  In our own game v Southend we had a great win, scoring three goals of top quality, and our general play probably deserving of more goals, giving us hope of better things to come in the run in to the end of the season, but a position we seem to have been in nearly every time we have visited Fleetwood in the past, and have disappointed the away fans following the club with a poor display.
   Hopefully we can put on a display this weekend to keep up our better form and keep pressure on the teams above us, and get a better result there at last.
   So how will we go about it? picking the starting line up is becoming  more difficult with every game, hands up who would have predicted  James in mid field at Sunderland, and Wright not starting against Southend, I just did not see those decisions, although I am very happy with both outcomes.
   Would you make changes (will Darren really)?
   Two good tactical managers Joey Barton and Darren being two forward thinking managers although very different personalities.who will come out  on top?
   Madden and Evans are always dangerous, what combination of central defenders would you employ?
   Will it be a game for Coppinger to start?
   If going to the game, will you be standing at the back of the goal. or sitting in the small number of seats available?
  Lots to discuss about this game, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Fleetwood game
« Reply #1 on January 29, 2020, 10:27:23 am by Alan Southstand »
We may revert to the team that played against Sunderland, which was so effective. Definitely think Gomes is a shoe-in and can feel aggrieved he missed out last night.

I’d like to see Ennis and Cole in the same side, but maybe not at Fleetwood. I’d take another draw now.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 29, 2020, 10:34:56 am by IDM »
We can step up two gears from last nights performance.  DM knows that too looking at the comments in the DFP website today..

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 29, 2020, 10:40:06 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, I think it may suit Gomes better than Copps to start.

Depending how Cole integrates over the next few days, could start with him Sadlier and Ennis as the front 3 with Taylor dropping to the bench.

Not sure what to make of Fleetwood. Always going to be dangerous if we let them have too much of the ball. Could go either way so let's try to get the clean sheet first and work from there.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 29, 2020, 12:11:51 pm by idler »
I remember when we played them in the first match of the season there. Their keeper looked the worst that I had ever seen apart from Fatty Smith for us against Brighton. We didn't put him under much pressure by shooting from all angles and they beat us. Andy Williams missed a penalty after about two minutes as well.
It also sowed the seeds of ending Etheridge's career with us before it started.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 29, 2020, 12:14:36 pm by dickos1 »
I remember when we played them in the first match of the season there. Their keeper looked the worst that I had ever seen apart from Fatty Smith for us against Brighton. We didn't put him under much pressure by shooting from all angles and they beat us. Andy Williams missed a penalty after about two minutes as well.

That was Accrington rather than fleetwood

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 29, 2020, 12:22:12 pm by idler »

Oops you're right hound. It must be an age thing. I just remembered being angry and disappointed at our Fleetwood display when lost and barely put up a fight.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 29, 2020, 12:25:36 pm by drfchound »

Oops you're right hound. It must be an age thing. I just remembered being angry and disappointed at our Fleetwood display when lost and barely put up a fight.

It must be an age thing idler because it was Dickos, not me, who pointed out the Accy thing.
Take it easy mate.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 29, 2020, 12:29:32 pm by idler »
Still in holiday mode and trying to listen to the wife while posting. Apologies to you and dickos. I'll probably get the shopping wrong now that I'm on a roll.😳

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 29, 2020, 12:46:44 pm by RoversAlias »
Hahaha.

Anyway yes, I am apprehensive about this one as we just don't tend to do well against Fleetwood. However we did beat them at the start of this season albeit somewhat fortunately.

The 3-1 defeat there under Dickov is right down there as one of the worst away days ever. McCullough ran in treacle the whole game, the fish and chips beforehand were like McCain's microwave chips, the stupid dancing fish and horrid nautical music every time they scored really rubbed it in. A nightmare.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 29, 2020, 12:52:25 pm by selby »
   I think that the management team at Fleetwood would be thinking that they are under achieving at the moment and will be keen to return to better form.
  Knowing our habit of getting teams back on track with their form after a bad run (Sunderland) I am hoping we can at last get rid of the trend and sink Fleetwood's hopes of a revival in form for at least another week.
  If we play well we have every chance of getting a result, If we can keep hold of the good players we have got already, and add a couple of quality players before the end of the transfer window, we could be very credible challengers for a play off place.
  The teams that show form and consistency, and also have a little luck, between now and the end of the season will be the teams to succeed.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 29, 2020, 01:35:17 pm by idler »
A strong ref needed with how they play off the ball as well as on it.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 29, 2020, 02:10:01 pm by Pancho Regan »
Tom Anderson versus Ched Evans might be worth the ticket price alone......

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 29, 2020, 02:24:57 pm by scawsby steve »
  Another place we have found it difficult to find any form or rhythm in games on past visits, the most memorable thing about past visits being the fish and chips before the game.
  Always difficult to play against, the playing surface not always the best, their style of play always giving us questions to answer, they have players who can score goals, and always seem to have a very good keeper.
  Last night they played out a 0-0 draw against an in form Coventry City, although Ched Evans and Paddy Madden missed chances they should have scored from in windy conditions, and a crowd of 2506 in attendance makes one wonder just how they continually attract players like they do and compete at this level. And they always seem to have a very good keeper, the latest being from the Doncaster area, and has played well against us in the past.
  In our own game v Southend we had a great win, scoring three goals of top quality, and our general play probably deserving of more goals, giving us hope of better things to come in the run in to the end of the season, but a position we seem to have been in nearly every time we have visited Fleetwood in the past, and have disappointed the away fans following the club with a poor display.
   Hopefully we can put on a display this weekend to keep up our better form and keep pressure on the teams above us, and get a better result there at last.
   So how will we go about it? picking the starting line up is becoming  more difficult with every game, hands up who would have predicted  James in mid field at Sunderland, and Wright not starting against Southend, I just did not see those decisions, although I am very happy with both outcomes.
   Would you make changes (will Darren really)?
   Two good tactical managers Joey Barton and Darren being two forward thinking managers although very different personalities.who will come out  on top?
   Madden and Evans are always dangerous, what combination of central defenders would you employ?
   Will it be a game for Coppinger to start?
   If going to the game, will you be standing at the back of the goal. or sitting in the small number of seats available?
  Lots to discuss about this game, please have your say.

I'll be in the seats Brian. My first ever visit to Fleetwood. Looking forward to it.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 29, 2020, 03:22:06 pm by selby »
  Don't go overboard Steve, it is hardly the Costa's, and i hope you are happier than after last seasons Charlton away league fixture. I am in the posh seats as well.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 29, 2020, 03:41:56 pm by 5 on Tour »
Just be prepared for everything at Fleetwood. No Rovers fan could even see the second half once the fog descended last season.

It will be a tough game. They’re a physical side who want to try and intimidate - wonder where that side of them comes from?! If we get the ball down and pass like we have done in several recent games then the recent run of form from them will hopefully lead to heads dropping. We are a very good ball playing side and they will want to push up at home. Generally when our opponents push up the game tends to become scrappy and suit our style of attacking. With one, hopefully 2, new attackers in the side they shouldn’t be able to prepare for them.

Fingers crossed for a solid defensive display and some counter attacking hits a la Peterborough.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 29, 2020, 06:55:53 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Looking forward to this one, my first visit too.  I'll be in the seated area shouting 'gerrit forrad!!!'   :rolleyes:

Hope we give then a tonking and Barton gets his mardy head on with DM in the tunnel, post match  :boxing: :byebye:

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 29, 2020, 07:11:46 pm by scawsby steve »
  Don't go overboard Steve, it is hardly the Costa's, and i hope you are happier than after last seasons Charlton away league fixture. I am in the posh seats as well.

Actually, I've done better with the away games so far this season Brian. Last season I went to 6, saw 1 win, 2 draws, and 3 defeats. So far this season I've only been to 3, seen 1 win and 2 draws.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 29, 2020, 07:14:12 pm by sha66y »
Big big banana skin this one....if DM’s Bollocking worked after the Southend game we stand a good chance of coming away with a win...

we have quality right through the team they just need to get their heads on and believe they can outplay,out fight and outclass these imposters..

Fleetwood will stand toe to toe with our defence from the get go, so we better bring our big game and our plan b,c,d

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 30, 2020, 08:41:20 am by Colin C No.3 »
DM’s bo*****ing?!

Would that bo*****ing (there are kids read this forum) have gone along the lines of.....

“Right you lot, 3-1, 3 flipping 1! I asked you for 10 goals & a clean sheet!

Dieng. It’s all well & good collecting every shot & cross with ease & commanding your penalty box, but a great keeper would have anticipated that deflected shot that led to their goal..rubbish!

Halliday. You kept making penetrating runs into the heart of their defence, you stopped balls coming in from the left, but why can’t you take long throw ins like they were taking?...rubbish!

James. You were up & down that left hand side linking up with Sadlier & making crosses into the box but did we score from one of them, no...rubbish!

Cameron John. You carried the ball out of defence forcing their frontline to track back, but you gave the ball away 3 times in the first half...rubbish!

Anderson. You won every header & challenge you made, never gave the ball away, brought it out of defence with your head up & played it simple, but why didn’t you score from your header that was on target but saved from the corner in the first half?...rubbish!

Copps. Yes you got yet another assist for Sad’s first goal, but in the second half you dummied their defender on the edge of the box, curled a shot that had their keeper beaten but was it a goal? No, you hit the post..rubbish!

Sheaf. You broke up play, took up good positions making it difficult for them to create any momentum in midfield, but did you shoot when you had the opportunity? No,...rubbish!

Whiteman. You’re looking more & more like Jordan Henderson out there...rubbish!

Taylor. You ran with the ball down the right flank & put in a pin point cross for Sadlier’s headed 2nd goal, but did you win one header? No..rubbish!

Sadlier. Two goals, so when is that hat trick coming?...rubbish!

Ennis. You controlled the ball with one touch, turned your man & slotted the ball past the keeper from 20 yards. Why don’t you do that every week?...rubbish!

You were Shabby, Shoddy....rubbish!”

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 30, 2020, 09:14:57 am by SydneyRover »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 30, 2020, 09:17:41 am by IDM »
There was plenty of sloppy play despite winning the game - three quality goals and could have been more - but DM is right to point out the below par performance overall so we avoid becoming complacent against better sides.!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 30, 2020, 09:20:38 am by SydneyRover »
totally agree, especially before the first goal

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 30, 2020, 09:21:28 am by selby »
  Not bad that Steve, just avoids a total ban.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 30, 2020, 09:32:02 am by drfchound »
DM’s bo*****ing?!

Would that bo*****ing (there are kids read this forum) have gone along the lines of.....

Dieng. It’s all well & good collecting every shot & cross with ease & commanding your penalty box, but a great keeper would have anticipated that deflected shot that led to their goal..rubbish!

Halliday. You kept making penetrating runs into the heart of their defence, you stopped balls coming in from the left, but why can’t you take long throw ins like they were taking?...rubbish!

James. You were up & down that left hand side linking up with Sadlier & making crosses into the box but did we score from one of them, no...rubbish!

Cameron John. You carried the ball out of defence forcing their frontline to track back, but you gave the ball away 3 times in the first half...rubbish!

Anderson. You won every header & challenge you made, never gave the ball away, brought it out of defence with your head up & played it simple, but why didn’t you score from your header that was on target but saved from the corner in the first half?...rubbish!

Copps. Yes you got yet another assist for Sad’s first goal, but in the second half you dummied their defender on the edge of the box, curled a shot that had their keeper beaten but was it a goal? No, you hit the post..rubbish!

Sheaf. You broke up play, took up good positions making it difficult for them to create any momentum in midfield, but did you shoot when you had the opportunity? No,...rubbish!

Taylor. You ran with the ball down the right flank & put in a pin point cross for Sadlier’s headed 2nd goal, but did you win one header? No..rubbish!

Ennis. You controlled the ball with one touch, turned your man & slotted the ball past the keeper from 20 yards. Why don’t you do that every week?...rubbish!

Nothing like that at all.
However, DM has said that he wasn’t happy with the overall performance.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 30, 2020, 09:37:39 am by Campsall rover »
Our 1st league win at Highbury coming up?
Don’t like making predictions other than on the P v O prediction league where I always predict a WIN.

Just have a very strong gut feeling that this is the one where we break our duck at Fleetwood.
Think we might be playing them at a good time if there is ever such a thing.
Devante Cole to score against his old club? That would be good.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 30, 2020, 07:50:53 pm by selby »
  Real competition in the strikers positions now, it will be a matter of score goals or someone else will take the shirt. I like that.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 30, 2020, 09:20:11 pm by drfchound »
  Real competition in the strikers positions now, it will be a matter of score goals or someone else will take the shirt. I like that.

It certainly paid off on Tuesday.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 30, 2020, 09:40:40 pm by sha66y »
DM’s bo*****ing?!

I think you are quite silly at times !

The bollocking would have been quite professional, perhaps reminding the team to concentrate on the things they have been practicing, and don’t invite problems....

I’m not sure why you would think to list all the players and their collective qualities.....oh yeah forgot ....it’s you! and you like your fifteen minutes wherever you can get them....

Darren did allude to the fact that he was a little disappointed that the team didn’t take advantage of a weak team, (especially with the gulf in class...)

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 30, 2020, 09:47:39 pm by Reesielad »
Devante Cole to get his first goal for us against his old club this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TinyPortal © 2005-2012