Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 01:35:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Second half display  (Read 4465 times)

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
Second half display
« on February 04, 2020, 09:38:06 pm by Chris the Rover »
Outstanding. Thought Madger Gomes was excellent throughout. That lad from Villa looks like a real find. Happy days!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Second half display
« Reply #1 on February 04, 2020, 09:39:40 pm by drfchound »
It is about time that he started to get some credit for his displays.
He is getting better all the time.

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 04, 2020, 09:40:46 pm by chrisd_123 »
Proper all round professional display. First half was tough getting to grips with the pitch. Second half we just tore them apart.

Gomes was class. Ramsey looks like a proper player. And we have proper strikers.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 04, 2020, 09:42:03 pm by Al4475 »
How nice that the majority of our fans are patient and believe in this board and manager! Heehee!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 04, 2020, 09:50:35 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I know we had a wobble at Fleetwood and, it was 'only Tranmere' but this was a very important game for getting the new boys filtered in and we passed with flying colours.

That should give the team a lot of confidence going forward. Sounded like Whiteman had one of his best games for a while, backed up by Gomes.

It couldn't have gone better for DM to get the new lads on the scoresheet. I suspected DM fancied Ramsey to showcase his quality and it worked a treat. Cole put in a shift too by all accounts and, once more we have a no 9 who scores goals!

We've all expressed our concern about John over James but, the manager is judged by results so let's go with it and support him.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 04, 2020, 09:56:15 pm by SydneyRover »
A couple of seasons ago DF had difficulty turning a bad run around, McCann was better but this is a real lift not to bumble around and bang straight back with a win.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 04, 2020, 10:01:03 pm by Alan Southstand »
Agreed DBR. Perhaps some part-time managers on this forum will stop questioning DM, at least for a while.

It seems he knows best - leave him to it and do what we do best - support the lads.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 04, 2020, 10:04:00 pm by drfchound »
Agreed DBR. Perhaps some part-time managers on this forum will stop questioning DM, at least for a while.

It seems he knows best - leave him to it and do what we do best - support the lads.

That's a bit unfair Alan.
It isn't unusual for fans to ask questions about a team selection before a game.
I am sure you will have done it yourself at times.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 04, 2020, 10:06:17 pm by NickDRFC »
Thought we were outstanding second half - we really raised our game when we needed to do and ran out comfortable winners on that horrible pitch. Plenty of the team stood out - Gomes was great box to box, Whiteman more dominant than recently, Cole showed nice touches and good movement and Ramsey looked a real handful - he didn’t let the first half missed get him down either which shows a good mentality and confidence. Okenabirhie looked promising as well, another great option to have.

With two very winnable home games over the next week, this time next Tuesday we could be in a very promising position.

Winning so well doesn’t mean it was the right call to pick John though, so I don’t understand why some posters are so critical of others questioning that decision.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 04, 2020, 10:09:04 pm by SydneyRover »
I don't think there is a problem with asking questions or debating decisions but some of the criticism is harsh and unnecessary, look at the shit the Gomes got when he started with us, who knows how much more quickly this lad would have developed given more encouragement from us.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 04, 2020, 10:09:23 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Highlights already up on Sky. Soz, couldn't copy the link, but the first goal was brilliant work by Sadlier!

All good finishes and shows the little bit of quality we've often been missing. Some lovely movement shown to work the openings and looks like we have Ramsey who can make those runs into the box.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 04, 2020, 10:12:52 pm by steve@dcfd »

It isn't unusual for fans to ask questions about a team selection before a game.

But it’s good to see those questioning fans get it wrong. Even me it appears KS contribution was good tonight I could have got it wrong.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 04, 2020, 10:13:26 pm by drfchound »
Highlights already up on Sky. Soz, couldn't copy the link, but the first goal was brilliant work by Sadlier!

All good finishes and shows the little bit of quality we've often been missing. Some lovely movement shown to work the openings and looks like we have Ramsey who can make those runs into the box.

Cant get them through google.
can anyone post the link please.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 04, 2020, 10:15:32 pm by drfchound »

But it’s good to see those questioning fans get it wrong. Even me it appears KS contribution was good tonight I could have got it wrong.

Those that questioned team selection on Saturday weren't wrong though steve.
FWIIW I am glad to be wrong today.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 04, 2020, 10:15:48 pm by Alan Southstand »
The most I’ve questioned the manager was when Dickov was here! Need I say more?

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 04, 2020, 10:18:02 pm by graingrover »
I pick out Gomes and Cameron John as top performers tonight with the ever reliable mountain Anderson and opportunism of Ramsay .

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 04, 2020, 10:21:15 pm by BigH »
Enjoyed that. We carved out some really good chances. Could easily have been 4 or 5 (at least).

Our defence was solid and that demoralised Tranmere. After the first half an hour they ran out of puff, Whiteman found his passing range and we started exploiting the space in midfield and behind the fullbacks. Lovely to watch.

Tranmere are in a bad place. They've had a couple of really poor results and it showed but, on a terrible pitch, they just couldn't live with us. Their manager went for old heads in the January window when he probably needed young legs. Their striker Cook should have been sent off at the end for a calculated lunge on Halliday's ankle; hopefully Brad'll be ok. Tranmere will struggle to stay up.

For us, more of the same please and, hopefully, we can get a run going.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 04, 2020, 10:24:38 pm by steve@dcfd »

We’ll all have get used to it still got another player to get his debut on bench or start could be another change yet. But if the new lads score then the old guard might have to sit on the bench.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 04, 2020, 10:27:12 pm by drfchound »

We’ll all have get used to it still got another player to get his debut on bench or start could be another change yet. But if the new lads score then the old guard might have to sit on the bench.

Agreed and glad about that.
We have been crying out for competition for the regular eleven starters and when we eventually got these new players in it finally gives DM some options.
With the glut of upcoming games now it can only be a good thing.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 04, 2020, 10:27:48 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
DM says he's picking the team as he sees fit for each game so we can no longer assume that sticking with a winning team is going to happen.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 04, 2020, 10:30:28 pm by RoversAlias »
DM says he's picking the team as he sees fit for each game so we can no longer assume that sticking with a winning team is going to happen.

Nor should we, Darren has got it right more often than not this season.

Keeping with a winning team is a bit of an archaic attitude in my opinion, a win doesn't always mean everyone played well and different opponents require different strengths.

The main thing we do have now is a bit of confidence, tonight must have buoyed the attackers particularly. We should go into the next two home games with a lot of belief.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 04, 2020, 10:41:36 pm by elmsallrover »
Great team performance tonight especially second half nice to see new signing getting on the score sheet just a pity Cole missed that first half header to top it off well done boys

Southboy

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 04, 2020, 11:14:30 pm by Southboy »
I am completely over excited. Watched the game on the computer. We've gone from a team struggling to score to one that looks like battering teams. From a side which picks itself with almost nothing on the bench to one with difficult choices as lots of players have earned the right to their place or look like they should start. Every signing who player tonight looked class and not one player put in a bad shift.

We are contenders....

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 04, 2020, 11:34:29 pm by dickos1 »
Having proper strikers makes a massive difference, Ennis and sadlier either side were terrific. And we’ve the palace lad to come in.
Question is which loan players is going to miss out,
Personally I’d be giving John a bit of a rest

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 05, 2020, 12:21:59 am by Colin C No.3 »
Just home & that second half performance with the boys attacking the end the Rovers supporters were in was a cathartic experience after the exposure endured at Fleetwood.

Now I’ve seen pitches with sand on before, but rarely have I seen a beach with so much mud on! No wonder DM didn’t play Taylor. It would have been like watching myself running along Bridlington’s North Beach in April aged 4 years!

But it didn’t stop Kieran Sadlier from turning Tranmere’s left back in knots before outpacing him to get into the box near the byline, pull the ball back into the perfect spot & pace for young Jacob Ramsey to run onto & side foot calmly past the keeper.

Niall Ennis played a wider role out left, the position normally played in by Sads who ‘swapped’ sides very effectively. Ennis was able to have the ball at his feet more in the wider role & used it to great effect when he got to the byline on the left & pulled back a perfect cross, swinging away from the keeper for Ramsey to nod home for his second.

Cole had played well in the first half, shielding the ball & laying it off wide. He put himself about, has pace & control, I think we have a good un in the making there. He made way for Okenabirhie into the second half & Fejiri made his presence felt almost immediately with a snap shot that had the keeper beaten but flashed just wide of the post.

He continued where Cole had left off, leading the line well & taking up some good positions. He was alert enough when the Tranmere central defender mis-controlled the ball outside his penalty area & pounced to take the ball from him before slotting it past the keeper. He later came close with a header that just flashed by the upright.

So well pleased with the ‘new boys’.

Whiteman appeared to have more time & space on the ball without having Sheaf as his ‘shadow’ (imo), & spread play well around the pitch to Sadlier, Halliday & Ennis.

Cameron John is not a left back. Yet again he gave the ball away cheaply, was caught in two minds what to do with it when in possession often opting for a punt upfield or being tackled & losing the ball. James gives a much better balance to the back four in that position (imo) & I can only think John is playing when Anderson & Wright are fit & playing as the two central defenders, because it is written into his loan agreement. Reece James must be wondering what’s he has done wrong to find himself sat on the bench.

Nice to see Matty Blair come on towards the end.

Seny Dieng. Gotta sign this lad in the close season. Forget the howler on Saturday, he caught everything tonight, as he does 9 times out of 10.

Tom Anderson is.....Tom Anderson..immense.

Gomes had a good game. Copps to start before him still in this simple supporters opinion.

Nice to see Luke McCullough on the pitch again after all his ordeals with injuries. I hope Tranmere avoid the drop. Their fans are warm & welcoming, the ground is decent, apart from the pitch when the tide goes out.

And so to bed to dream of another 3 points against Rochdale ‘When Saturday Comes’!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 12:28:19 am by Colin C No.3 »

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 05, 2020, 12:52:43 am by bobjimwilly »

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 05, 2020, 12:58:38 am by bpoolrover »
Great second half performance, so much better than Saturday, agree John is not a left back while he put in a few decent tackles still, good to see mcculloch playing again and he was probably there best player for much of the game

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 05, 2020, 07:06:06 am by knockers »
How did Luke play for them?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 05, 2020, 08:44:26 am by Donnywolf »

Cant get them through google.
can anyone post the link please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ4vRoVlzu4&feature=youtu.be

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 05, 2020, 08:51:06 am by Spud »
Just home & that second half performance with the boys attacking the end the Rovers supporters were in was a cathartic experience after the exposure endured at Fleetwood.

Now I’ve seen pitches with sand on before, but rarely have I seen a beach with so much mud on! No wonder DM didn’t play Taylor. It would have been like watching myself running along Bridlington’s North Beach in April aged 4 years!

But it didn’t stop Kieran Sadlier from turning Tranmere’s left back in knots before outpacing him to get into the box near the byline, pull the ball back into the perfect spot & pace for young Jacob Ramsey to run onto & side foot calmly past the keeper.

Niall Ennis played a wider role out left, the position normally played in by Sads who ‘swapped’ sides very effectively. Ennis was able to have the ball at his feet more in the wider role & used it to great effect when he got to the byline on the left & pulled back a perfect cross, swinging away from the keeper for Ramsey to nod home for his second.

Cole had played well in the first half, shielding the ball & laying it off wide. He put himself about, has pace & control, I think we have a good un in the making there. He made way for Okenabirhie into the second half & Fejiri made his presence felt almost immediately with a snap shot that had the keeper beaten but flashed just wide of the post.

He continued where Cole had left off, leading the line well & taking up some good positions. He was alert enough when the Tranmere central defender mis-controlled the ball outside his penalty area & pounced to take the ball from him before slotting it past the keeper. He later came close with a header that just flashed by the upright.

So well pleased with the ‘new boys’.

Whiteman appeared to have more time & space on the ball without having Sheaf as his ‘shadow’ (imo), & spread play well around the pitch to Sadlier, Halliday & Ennis.

Cameron John is not a left back. Yet again he gave the ball away cheaply, was caught in two minds what to do with it when in possession often opting for a punt upfield or being tackled & losing the ball. James gives a much better balance to the back four in that position (imo) & I can only think John is playing when Anderson & Wright are fit & playing as the two central defenders, because it is written into his loan agreement. Reece James must be wondering what’s he has done wrong to find himself sat on the bench.

Nice to see Matty Blair come on towards the end.

Seny Dieng. Gotta sign this lad in the close season. Forget the howler on Saturday, he caught everything tonight, as he does 9 times out of 10.

Tom Anderson is.....Tom Anderson..immense.

Gomes had a good game. Copps to start before him still in this simple supporters opinion.

Nice to see Luke McCullough on the pitch again after all his ordeals with injuries. I hope Tranmere avoid the drop. Their fans are warm & welcoming, the ground is decent, apart from the pitch when the tide goes out.

And so to bed to dream of another 3 points against Rochdale ‘When Saturday Comes’!

Agree with all of that, that's how I saw it (I'm simple too lol).

TinyPortal © 2005-2012