Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 08:29:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Rochdale game  (Read 6300 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Rochdale game
« on February 05, 2020, 09:56:14 am by selby »
  Games are coming up thick and fast now, and we can be thankful that we now look to have a much better balanced and deeper in depth squad of players.
  Nearly all the younger players we have signed are fast improving, and the centre forward position has moved on to where we look to have two very capable players leading the line from it being a problem position since Marquis left.
  Ramsey could not have had a better debut than he had at Tranmere, and looked a very very good player in the making.
   Rochdale will not be an easy game, a club I admire greatly, overshadowed by much larger world renowned teams they carry on doing their thing in the lower leagues and are always competitive.
   Fresh from a 1-0 home win against Shrewsbury last week, the goal scored by our ex loanee  Tyler Smith, and with the experienced Henderson and Wilbraham in attack also, they can prove a difficult team to play against.
  They have won five away games  but have only drawn 1 losing 9 which looks a little all or nothing, but dangerous.
   Would you make changes?
   Who would you start up front?
   Will the new signings making their debut in a home game attract you to go to the game?
   Are you now happy with the backing our board have given the manager in the January transfer window?
   Lot's to discuss about this game, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Rochdale game
« Reply #1 on February 05, 2020, 10:04:44 am by IDM »
Go at them from the off like we did in the home fixture last season..

A game Copps could dominate.. according to DM he wasn’t selected last night for tactical reasons, not for injury as some suggested on here last light.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 10:17:01 am by IDM »

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 05, 2020, 10:21:15 am by Colin C No.3 »
First & foremost I never doubted the board would back DM in January, pre season or during the coming close season. End of. It’s abundantly clear that DM will not buy or give long contracts to players for the sake of it.

I would hope that James comes back into the left back position ahead of John, Copps to replace Gomes on a better playing surface than Fleetwood or Tranmere could offer up, start with Okenabirhie up front with the option of bringing Cole on in the second half who on last nights showing appears the pacier of the two?

I’d play Ennis & Sadlier in the same roles & positions as against Tranmere.

A win on Saturday will have us within reaching distance of the top six & the ‘footballing gods’ should help take care of next Tuesday nights fixture putting us right in the mix.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 05, 2020, 10:34:03 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
More of the same please.

I hope people turn up in numbers as we're running out of home games. The only real 'big' game left at home is the Ipswich game, although we also have Wycombe who are current contenders, but they are all important to us if we are to prove our promotion credentials.

Following on from Tranmere, have we found how to be ruthless? I suspect Rochdale won't give us the same freedom in midfield and we must be prepared for some passes to go astray until we get into our stride. Hopefully we can wear them down and show our superior class on top of the hard work which is essential.

I suspect DM will go with the same formula and starting XI, with Copps hopefully on the bench. Cole to put in a hard working 70 mins and Fejiri to come on and take advantage of a tiring defence.

I hope fans are excited to see whether we have become the real deal and the new lads were worth the wait.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 05, 2020, 11:02:52 am by Filo »
More of the same please.

I hope people turn up in numbers as we're running out of home games. The only real 'big' game left at home is the Ipswich game, although we also have Wycombe who are current contenders, but they are all important to us if we are to prove our promotion credentials.

Following on from Tranmere, have we found how to be ruthless? I suspect Rochdale won't give us the same freedom in midfield and we must be prepared for some passes to go astray until we get into our stride. Hopefully we can wear them down and show our superior class on top of the hard work which is essential.

I suspect DM will go with the same formula and starting XI, with Copps hopefully on the bench. Cole to put in a hard working 70 mins and Fejiri to come on and take advantage of a tiring defence.

I hope fans are excited to see whether we have become the real deal and the new lads were worth the wait.

I would hope Bolton would attract a few next week, just to be hostile towards them, I would also hope the club will treat them with the same disrespect that club have treated us

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 05, 2020, 11:06:08 am by sha66y »
We may all be surprised on the selection for a starting place....DM will have a plan that far outweighs our expectations...

I would like to see James on from the start because he adds pace and drive, also Taylor would be a good starter to give Sadlier a breather...but that’s the Managers dilemma....

there are so many permutations and so many games to play with...

and yet I feel no real weakening of the team because of it ....

3-1

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 05, 2020, 11:13:10 am by IDM »
More of the same please.

I would hope Bolton would attract a few next week, just to be hostile towards them, I would also hope the club will treat them with the same disrespect that club have treated us

I hope the only hostility is from the fans..

The club should act with the utmost professionalism, if only to show Bolton and the rest of football how it is done.

Let’s not sink to their level.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 05, 2020, 11:23:19 am by SydneyRover »
First & foremost I never doubted the board would back DM in January, pre season or during the coming close season. End of. It’s abundantly clear that DM will not buy or give long contracts to players for the sake of it.

I would hope that James comes back into the left back position ahead of John, Copps to replace Gomes on a better playing surface than Fleetwood or Tranmere could offer up, start with Okenabirhie up front with the option of bringing Cole on in the second half who on last nights showing appears the pacier of the two?

A win on Saturday will have us within reaching distance of the top six & the ‘footballing gods’ should help take care of next Tuesday nights fixture putting us right in the mix.

When you think about it Colin why would the club invest in a manager of DW's calibre who would certainly not be a cheap option then leave him without the resources to improve the team.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 05, 2020, 11:26:05 am by NickDRFC »
More of the same please.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 05, 2020, 11:32:39 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Only change i'd make is James for John. Probably put Lokilo on the bench in place of Sheaf which would be harsh on him. Wouldn't change the midfield unless we have to which means Copps on the bench but he's a great option to come on against tired legs and get on the ball. Cole deserves another start too imo

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 05, 2020, 11:41:50 am by Wiltshire Exile »
More of the same please.

I hope the only hostility is from the fans..

The club should act with the utmost professionalism, if only to show Bolton and the rest of football how it is done.

Let’s not sink to their level.

Correct!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 05, 2020, 11:59:01 am by selby »
  Rochdale is the only game of importance at the moment, a game that will not be easy, especially if the club and fans start to prioritise future games before this fixture.
  In Henderson they have one of the cleverest and consistent goal scorers there is in the lower divisions over the last few seasons, and is capable of giving most defences a hard time of it.
  The games from now on this season is about the way we play, the last two games being an example of how good, and how average we can be, especially at Fleetwood where we allowed a team to impose their game plan on ourselves.
  We cannot allow ourselves to be so inconsistent in the level of performances as games are now fast running out this season. To obtain a playoff position we now need to string together a consistent run of victories, and not allow ourselves to be distracted from concentrating on the next game one at a time.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 05, 2020, 12:36:26 pm by Alan Southstand »
I honestly think we can’t really make too many changes, after such a solid away performance like yesterday. But, the manager will, again, pick the side to suit the opposition, whilst also having in mind that we quickly follow the Rochdale game with a fixture that’s a tough one to call.

Personally, I think James may well come back in, to give them something else to have to worry about, from the perspective of having overlapping full backs on both sides of the pitch.

On the bench, there may well be one or two changes, with Copps coming in and maybe Lokilo, the latter meaning Sheaf may have to sit this one out. Not that Sheaf has done anything wrong, far from it, but at home we have to be attacking teams with some venom and I think the Palace lad may just give us that.

It really is a frightening thought for any visiting team, to have (possibly) Ennis on one side and Lokilo on the other and a pacy striker in the middle coming at you.

I also like the idea of that middle triangle of an emergent Gomes alongside a very threatening Ramsey, with probably the best defensive midfield player in the division just behind them.

Hold on to your hats!

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 05, 2020, 01:16:21 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
From the highlights of the Tranmere game, I was impressed with the interplay involving the newcomers. Do we now, even at this early stage of integration, have a fully adaptable interchangeable squad?

I have no idea what first 11 we'll put out, barring injuries there's just Dieng, Anderson, Halliday, Whiteman with guaranteed places right now. Exciting times, hopefully winning times too.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 05, 2020, 01:25:15 pm by Colin C No.3 »

When you think about it Colin why would the club invest in a manager of DW's calibre who would certainly not be a cheap option then leave him without the resources to improve the team.
Absolutely.

Darren Moore didn’t come here to spend the next 2-3 years as a league 1 manager.

Only the knee jerking half wits on here would question the board’s ambition for the club.

And I know you meant DM not DW😉

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 05, 2020, 01:26:43 pm by IDM »
Training will be interesting, How many different front 4 variations will be tried out to see who works best with who..

Taylor warrants selection, as does James and Copps without doubt, never mind the new signings needing to be integrated.

Nice problems to have..

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 05, 2020, 02:07:09 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I very much see DM going for a front three who can interchange, very much like last night and all of whom can finish.

Perm any three from Sadlier, Ennis, Cole, Fegiri and with Ramsey just behind it could be a lethal combination.

Alas that may mean Taylor and Copps having to be more content with starting on the bench although the other new lad needs blooding yet. 

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 05, 2020, 02:09:53 pm by steve@dcfd »
Other permutation DM as to think about is which one of the 4 outfield loanees does he have in the stand to put Lokilo in the match day squad.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 05, 2020, 02:33:25 pm by since-1969 »
This game is the first opportunity Darren Moore has had to demonstrate why he wanted THIS job . He inherited half a team of left overs from a half decent previous  season . He has brought quality young players who hungry for the chance to grow and demonstrate their potential. The over all look of the squad has been fortified and has players to cover in every position and after showing what the team can do on a ploughed field against Tranmere it’s Rochdale who will feel the power of this young and exuberant and skilful team . 4-0 imo 

Chris the Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 05, 2020, 02:46:16 pm by Chris the Rover »
Whoever DM selects/leaves out, I can’t see him dropping Gomes. He’s the most improved player in the squad.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 05, 2020, 03:04:24 pm by Retdon1 »
Seeing a lot of comments praising the board for backing DM during this transfer window but surly the money he has spent on wages/fees was just what was remaining in this years budget as we will have saved a good amount of money on wages from last season, plus Marquis transfer fee and we was told again that the budget would be set around 6-8th in the league for this season.... this isn’t me having a go at the board as I’m very supportive of the way they run our club.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 05, 2020, 03:05:17 pm by IDM »
Not sure what your actual point is there.?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 05, 2020, 03:18:13 pm by drfchound »

Absolutely.

Darren Moore didn’t come here to spend the next 2-3 years as a league 1 manager.

Only the knee jerking half wits on here would question the board’s ambition for the club.

And I know you meant DM not DW😉

I thought DonnyWolf had got himself a new job.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 05, 2020, 06:35:49 pm by Colin C No.3 »
?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 05, 2020, 06:40:58 pm by NickDRFC »
Other permutation DM as to think about is which one of the 4 outfield loanees does he have in the stand to put Lokilo in the match day squad.

People seem to think Sheaf will be the one to make way but his ability to fill in at the bank makes him a very useful option even if he’s not in the XI. Given the competition for places in the front 4 I could easily see Ennis having a full rest this weekend and Lokilo at least making the bench...unless he’s got a clause in his contract like John as well ;) ;) ;)

drfchound

• Forum Member

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 05, 2020, 07:29:54 pm by colincramb »
I honestly think that if we are realistically going to challenge for the top 6 this season, we absolutely must win our next 2 games.

6 points from those and we really will be in the mix. At the minute it’s hard to see who will miss out. Oxford were excellent last night in the cup (will that take its toll?), Coventry are consistent, Portsmouth appear to have found form, Sunderland still there, posh have picked up and fleetwood have games in hand.

Add to that rotherscum and Ipswich and the ever plucky Burton and it’s going to be hard, especially with our away games to come. Wycombe possibly look the most vulnerable but still there.

With 4 games against the current top 12 still to play away, plus a tricky ‘derby’ at Lincoln it looks tough.

It’s going to be very tight
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 07:45:43 pm by colincramb »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 05, 2020, 08:53:50 pm by ravenrover »
It's not just the next 2 we need to win, we need a run of 5 or 6 on the trot if we are really going to make top 6

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 05, 2020, 09:31:20 pm by drfchound »
I will use IDMs phrase.
One game at a time.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 06, 2020, 09:20:50 am by Campsall rover »
It's not just the next 2 we need to win, we need a run of 5 or 6 on the trot if we are really going to make top 6
We can afford the odd draw here and there. No more than 3 defeats 4 maximum in last 15 games.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012