Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 09:50:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Top six  (Read 3926 times)

sha66y

• Forum Member
Top six
« on February 08, 2020, 05:49:16 pm by sha66y »
Looks impenetrable at the moment, how the hell are we to make any ground on these teams when we play so inconsistent?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dknward2

• VSC Member
Re: Top six
« Reply #1 on February 08, 2020, 06:01:04 pm by dknward2 »
Long way to go only 2 points behind 6th place

Tuesday will be another hard game could see today's goal from Rochdale backed off to much

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 08, 2020, 06:10:00 pm by drfchound »
Long way to go only 2 points behind 6th place

Tuesday will be another hard game could see today's goal from Rochdale backed off to much

But don’t forget that two teams above us have a game in hand and the two immediately behind us do as well and would go past us if they won them.
The table is beginning to shape up for us like it did last season when we were fighting for sixth place only.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 08, 2020, 06:23:47 pm by donnievic »
Looks impenetrable at the moment, how the hell are we to make any ground on these teams when we play so inconsistent?
because all other teams are aswell

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 08, 2020, 06:31:34 pm by Pliskin »
If roughly 75 points are needed for 6th place then that's 30 points needed from the remaining 15 games. 5 at home, 10 away.

Even if we win all 5 home games (and I don't imagine we will) we'll still need 1.5 points per game away from home - better than any away record in the league so far.

It ain't happening.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 08, 2020, 07:07:41 pm by sha66y »
because all other teams are aswell

Not this week.... too many damaging results against us

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 08, 2020, 08:40:57 pm by tyke1962 »
I look forward to seeing two local derbies next season between Rovers and Barnsley .

I'll let you guys figure out what league that will be .

:facepalm:

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 08, 2020, 08:54:37 pm by IDM »
So after a below par performance where we didn’t lose and moved up a place anyway, we can forget the top 6 with FIFTEEN games to go.?

f**k me sideways.!

Then again with this forum, why would I expect anything else..

Goodnight

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 08, 2020, 08:56:08 pm by adamtherover »
If roughly 75 points are needed for 6th place then that's 30 points needed from the remaining 15 games. 5 at home, 10 away.

Even if we win all 5 home games (and I don't imagine we will) we'll still need 1.5 points per game away from home - better than any away record in the league so far.

It ain't happening.
we are 3 pts behind 6th with better GD, match their results for 14 games, better them for one game and we are 6th..    expected points needed is irrelevant...

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 08, 2020, 08:59:02 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
So after a below par performance where we didn’t lose and moved up a place anyway, we can forget the top 6 with FIFTEEN games to go.?

f**k me sideways.!

Goodnight
This!
Goodnight from me also!

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 08, 2020, 09:01:36 pm by godlike1 »
As I said on twitter

1 win and we're champs. 1 defeat and we're relegation fodder. Rovers fans are too fickle for me these days

I'd love to make the playoffs and despite the teams above us think it's a typically poor league. Only Oxford and cov have impressed me so far

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 08, 2020, 09:02:13 pm by Campsall rover »

f**k me sideways.!

Goodnight
It’s the norm if we don’t win at home. Why would we expect any different.
If we had lost it would have been total meltdown on here.
Knee jerk reactions every time we fail to win.

The play offs are wide open. Agree with those that say top 2 is beyond us now.  Realistically it is of course.
Mathematically it is not.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 08, 2020, 09:05:26 pm by drfchound »
The play offs might be wide open but I just get the feeling that the current top five will get away from the rest, a bit like last season, and that us and a couple of others will be battling for that sixth place.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 08, 2020, 09:05:33 pm by dickos1 »
I’m not worried about the result but I thought the performance was dreadful today.
We were second best.
Need a big improvement on Tuesday

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 08, 2020, 09:14:51 pm by Campsall rover »
We need to be more consistent that is certain.

Two steps forward and one step back has been the one consistent of this season so far.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 08, 2020, 10:32:47 pm by tyke1962 »
We need to be more consistent that is certain.

Two steps forward and one step back has been the one consistent of this season so far.

That's was the point of my post Campsall , I'm happy to be proved wrong on this but 6 clubs look to have a little more than you do right now .

It's not a massive amount but it's significant none the less .

Cbrover24

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 08, 2020, 11:52:17 pm by Cbrover24 »
Personally I think we will just scrape 6th place or just fall outside!! Either way after the start we had I will not be that bad of a season!! Disappointing yes, disastrous NO!! Have faith and hopefully this will come good just in time!! 

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 09, 2020, 12:48:17 am by Pliskin »

f**k me sideways.!

Goodnight

In my view, yes. For the reasons I said.

I have made my point about why the playoffs are very much a long shot based on the remaining fixtures, and made a similar point on here last week.

If you disagree then fine. You could have addressed what I'd actually said, made a counter point and left it at that.

But no, that would've been a missed opportunity to rudely assert one's superior football supporting credentials over the supposed reactionary riff-raff, wouldn't it? And we can't be having any of that.

'Goodnight' indeed.

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 09, 2020, 01:03:41 am by Pliskin »

It ain't happening.
we are 3 pts behind 6th with better GD, match their results for 14 games, better them for one game and we are 6th..    expected points needed is irrelevant...

I get what you're saying, but it's not irrelevant because 6th place will likely end up in that ballpark in terms of points - maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less.

But it will be hard for us to match it with the number of away fixtures we have.

Yes, we might get lucky and all our rivals keep tripping up, bringing that expected points total down. That could happen, I get that. But that doesn't mean we can say that a top 6 finish looks likely.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 09, 2020, 07:53:41 am by dickos1 »
I think we prefer to play away at the moment, we struggle to break sides down at home. And the way we set up it suits us on the counter attack

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 09, 2020, 08:29:56 am by sha66y »

f**k me sideways.!

Goodnight

Too many times has the “ below par performance” been rolled out!
At this stage of the season it’s the teams that DON’T do “ below par performances” that reap the rewards...

Yesterday wasn’t good and we have witnessed far too many of them...

We were 1-0 up and didn’t employ the mental strength required to not only dominate and take control of the game, but to actually work out a system to hold that score..

This isn’t a knee jerk reaction to a one off result..

We are far too inconsistent at the moment, and with games coming thick and fast, finding the balance and winning team may prove harder to find than the actual results..

I am an ever optimist ,

However I’m also a realist!

and languish contentedly in the minority camp of “ I don’t think this team is ready” ..............yet!

If I was to be critical of the team .....I’d say the manager made a boob by not replacing Gomez soon enough, and that game was a good fit for copps in my opinion....

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 09, 2020, 08:33:20 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Tough ask  and we need some top form and luck. However, what we should all be positive about is that we have made some great steps forward and next season is one we should be positive about.  I tend to think we are perhaps not ready for promotion and that next season might be better suited.

But, if we have a great run....

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 09, 2020, 08:52:23 am by sha66y »
If we make the play offs and get promotion this year I will give £100 to the nearest McMillan trust...

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 09, 2020, 09:00:02 am by mrfrostsdad »
Tough ask  and we need some top form and luck. However, what we should all be positive about is that we have made some great steps forward and next season is one we should be positive about.  I tend to think we are perhaps not ready for promotion and that next season might be better suited.

But, if we have a great run....

I don't think this team is ready for the Championship either BFYP. In fact I reckon it would be lambs to the slaughter. Yes, I know we'd get new players in, but it would be very difficult.
The only problem I see with being 'better suited' for next season is that 5 of our regular first teamers are loan players who will probably not be here next year

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 09, 2020, 09:07:02 am by knockers »
Look at the three teams that went up last season and where they are this. These were all way better than we are today.
That’s not to say we shouldn’t go for it but it would be very uncomfortable watching if we did  fluke promotion.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 09, 2020, 10:28:32 am by the vicar »
If we play like that many more times you can forget all talk and thought about top 6

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 09, 2020, 06:30:03 pm by adamtherover »

It ain't happening.

I get what you're saying, but it's not irrelevant because 6th place will likely end up in that ballpark in terms of points - maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less.

But it will be hard for us to match it with the number of away fixtures we have.

Yes, we might get lucky and all our rivals keep tripping up, bringing that expected points total down. That could happen, I get that. But that doesn't mean we can say that a top 6 finish looks likely.
I didn't say it looks likely, more counter balancing your black and white comment that it ain't happening.  Considering you obviously know the results of all the games to the end of the season already, where do we end up? 

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 10, 2020, 12:18:01 pm by IDM »

f**k me sideways.!

Goodnight

I have made my point about why the playoffs are very much a long shot based on the remaining fixtures, and made a similar point on here last week.

If you disagree then fine. You could have addressed what I'd actually said, made a counter point and left it at that.

But no, that would've been a missed opportunity to rudely assert one's superior football supporting credentials over the supposed reactionary riff-raff, wouldn't it? And we can't be having any of that.

'Goodnight' indeed.

Sorry if my post offended, it wasn’t meant to and it certainly wasn’t personal.

I just didn’t think that dropping 2 points in the 16th last game of the season is critical to reaching f re play offs.

Yes, we will need some consistency of results especially away but i think we are more than capable of 1.5 ppg away.

The issue isn’t talent, ability or the way we perform when we get out of second gear.  It’s the inconsistency - as others have pointed out - which we need to address.  I can’t disagree with that.

Again, no personal offence intended.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 10, 2020, 12:39:49 pm by adamtherover »

f**k me sideways.!

Goodnight

'Goodnight' indeed.

Sorry if my post offended, it wasn’t meant to and it certainly wasn’t personal.

I just didn’t think that dropping 2 points in the 16th last game of the season is critical to reaching f re play offs.

Yes, we will need some consistency of results especially away but i think we are more than capable of 1.5 ppg away.

The issue isn’t talent, ability or the way we perform when we get out of second gear.  It’s the inconsistency - as others have pointed out - which we need to address.  I can’t disagree with that.

Again, no personal offence intended.

some would even say that our away form at the moment is actually going to be a positive going forwards....

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 10, 2020, 12:40:11 pm by NewDonny »
Far too early to be talking about the play offs. We need to get another 6-10 games under our belt and then we will know if we have a chance to be in the top six or not. This yo-yo reaction on here is ridiculous and people need to get a grip, but then again I strongly suspect that a lot of people that post so nagatively on here just post for the attention and have never kicked a ball in anger in their lives and don't really knows hat they are talking about.

If we can can play as poorly (not awfully as some people have said on here) as we did on Saturday and get a point then there is a chance that we can still get something out of of this season.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012