Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 03:51:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Appeal  (Read 5530 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Appeal
« on February 17, 2020, 04:53:50 pm by roversdude »
Not blunts, not Bolton - any news if we are appealing the sending off

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

jackthelad

• Forum Member
Re: Appeal
« Reply #1 on February 17, 2020, 04:57:44 pm by jackthelad »
Not blunts, not Bolton - any news if we are appealing the sending off

We won't be. It was a red and Moore even said as much himself.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 17, 2020, 05:00:43 pm by Donnywolf »
Was going to ask earlier if we might appeal.

Eminent fans said "straight Red" others also eminent said nothing in it so I was wondering because I definitively cant make out what happened

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 17, 2020, 05:08:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
We'll not be appealing. You need unambiguous evidence that the ref was wrong and we haven't got that.  We've only got circumstantial evidence.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 06:36:08 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 17, 2020, 05:25:24 pm by Bentley Bullet »
When Fatty Evans says it's a red, it's a red.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 17, 2020, 05:32:02 pm by LincsRover »
When Fatty Evans says it's a red, it's a red.

Yep, he knows a big fat Shiraz when he sees one!  :boxing:

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 18, 2020, 06:29:54 am by Donnywolf »
I thought Pinot Greaseio ws more appropriate myself

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 18, 2020, 06:52:35 am by GazLaz »
It was the most blatant red I’ve ever seen, looked him, sized him up, wallop.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 18, 2020, 09:44:47 am by Move DRFC »

You must have been at the game and seen all that with your own eyes because no way is it a clear red from the footage

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 18, 2020, 12:38:12 pm by GazLaz »
It was. I’ve slowed it right down and you can see him look at him. Watched it 100 times.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 18, 2020, 12:46:25 pm by DonnyOsmond »
It's definitely not "the most blatant red" anyone has ever seen, unless you've only seen one red card ever.

Should we appeal? No.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 18, 2020, 12:48:49 pm by GazLaz »
It's definitely not "the most blatant red" anyone has ever seen, unless you've only seen one red card ever.

Should we appeal? No.

Of course it was, it was 100% a red card. How can you get more blatant than that?

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 18, 2020, 01:49:23 pm by Move DRFC »

Should we appeal? No.

Of course it was, it was 100% a red card. How can you get more blatant than that?

Soft as you like.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 18, 2020, 02:07:40 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I wish I'd got your eyes or your computer screen Gaz.

See attached.

There's no way anyone is concluding from that that Okenabirhie looked round, clocked where the defender was and swung an elbow at him.

At worst, there is a hint of a suggestion that the arm might have moved towards the defender between frames 4 and 5, but that is far from clear and even if it was, it's arguable that all he's doing is making himself big in anticipation of the challenge (as Akinde did two dozen times without a Rovers player collapsing as though they'd been shot). What is clear is that, as I've said previously, at no time was Okenabirhie's arm ever above shoulder level, so it's difficult to see how you conclude that he's deliberately and knowingly swung an elbow into the defender's face. My best guess from looking at the later frames is that the contact was  Okenabirhie's shoulder, or the top of his upper arm. And it wasn't a high velocity impact. There's no evidence of "excessive force or brutality" which is the requirement for a red card. And no evidence that Okenabirhie was looking for where the defender was and deliberately targeting him.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 18, 2020, 02:36:23 pm by VivaRovers »
There's no evidence of "excessive force or brutality" which is the requirement for a red card.

That's not quite how the laws of the game are worded, there are two options for the referee can consider for a red card offence...

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

...in Saturday's example, even if the referee didn't feel Okenabirhie used excessive force, then he could certainly mark it as a challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent.

As said in the Steve Evans thread... watching it at the time in the ground, from pretty much the same sight line as the referee, a red card was always the obvious outcome of the incident.
An appeal would be completely frivolous.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 18, 2020, 02:42:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
So which part of that, looking at the video evidence, is endangering the safety of the opponent?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 18, 2020, 03:18:51 pm by GazLaz »
I watched the full game on the plane on way home from Barbados last night. I watched it using a download from InStat that was pretty clear. He looked, then the challenge came in. 100%. Did he look and mean to try and hurt him? Possibly not. Did he look, see the defender coming and put his elbow up to protect himself? Probably. It’s still an elbow to the face with force. As Glenn says, definite red and the ref had a very good position to see it as well.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on February 18, 2020, 03:20:03 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Gaz.

Can you load up a still of where Okenabirhie is clearly looking round at the defender?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 18, 2020, 03:48:41 pm by GazLaz »
Gaz.

Can you load up a still of where Okenabirhie is clearly looking round at the defender?

I’ll have a go in a bit. The other thing I noticed was the Whiteman hand ball in the penalty box. Probably not a penalty but could have been given. His arms were by his sides but the ball looked to be heading towards goal.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 18, 2020, 04:38:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
If it's clear on your video, then obviously I'll accept there was a degree of premeditation.

And yep, I saw that Whiteman incident. Would have been harsh, but they've been given.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 18, 2020, 04:50:41 pm by GazLaz »
It’s very difficult to still shot due to the cameraman moving the camera too quickly, but when you slow it all down you can see a head movement. I’ve attached an image anyway. He did a similar thing earlier in the half as well which won’t have helped his cause. That one didn’t look as bad to me though.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 18, 2020, 04:53:48 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
It’s very difficult to still shot due to the cameraman moving the camera too quickly, but when you slow it all down you can see a head movement. I’ve attached an image anyway. He did a similar thing earlier in the half as well which won’t have helped his cause. That one didn’t look as bad to me though.

On that viewing, he does definitely seem to be looking in his direction.

Grainy but when you zoom in a tad, can see the right hand side of his face.

However, my eyesight isn't great so open for discussion!

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 18, 2020, 04:57:43 pm by 5 on Tour »
The fact that we can’t even decide as Rovers fans clearly points to it not being overturned even if we did appeal. Which we won’t be unless we are daft.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 18, 2020, 05:05:20 pm by scawsby steve »
If we appeal that, it will be deemed as "frivolous", and Fej will end up with a 4 match ban.

Let it go.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 18, 2020, 05:06:14 pm by i_ateallthepies »

It was. I’ve slowed it right down and you can see him look at him. Watched it 100 times.

If it was the most blatant red you've ever seen, why did you need to watch it 100 times?

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 18, 2020, 05:08:41 pm by Alickismyhero »
From a distant position my opinion was that it was a straight red card.

I was sitting next to Okenabirhiehie's father, a very nice man, who asked my opinion, as he had not seen the incident. I said it was a straight red for me and your boy will not be proud of the outcome.

I had a flash back then to when Paul Heffernan head butted the Southend centre back, the outcome was the same, a red card, my heart sank.

It was a game we should have won but bad luck put a stop to it, again.

I really like what DM is doing with this team and I am very optimistic for next season.

I don't know if anyone else mentioned the public announces comments when the second own goal went in?                 "Its not your day today is it"  I found it funny.

I enjoyed the game shame about the result.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 18, 2020, 06:40:26 pm by VivaRovers »
So which part of that, looking at the video evidence, is endangering the safety of the opponent?

Probably the bit where his elbow connects with his face.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 18, 2020, 06:41:30 pm by GazLaz »

If it was the most blatant red you've ever seen, why did you need to watch it 100 times?

To try and see what people thought was harsh about it. Up to 126 times now and still not found it.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on February 18, 2020, 06:54:51 pm by Bentley Bullet »
The delay in treating the player, with the main objective being to get our player sent off, could have endangered him.

......Unless it was premeditated, like!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 18, 2020, 06:58:51 pm by drfchound »
The delay in treating the player, with the main objective being to get our player sent off, could have endangered him.

......Unless it was premeditated, like!

I agree BB.
It was noticeable that none of their players or staff went to see how the “injured” player was.
They totally ignored him at first while they crowded round the ref. even though he was prone, flat on his back and not moving.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 07:01:01 pm by drfchound »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012