Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 07:10:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Player contracts  (Read 9281 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Player contracts
« on March 23, 2020, 04:19:57 pm by silent majority »
Coronavirus (COVID-19): What Does It Mean For Player Contracts?

The English football season will continue to be suspended until at least 30 April 2020, as part of measures to further combat the rising spread of COVID-19.

At an emergency meeting that took place between officials from all 20 Premier League clubs on 19 March 2020, it was decided that the 2019/2020 Premier League season will be extended “indefinitely” (with the EFL and The FA (with The FA Cup) following suit).

Article, and all the questions on contracts are here;

https://fcbusiness.co.uk/news/coronavirus-covid-19-what-does-it-mean-for-player-contracts/?mc_cid=419586197c&mc_eid=65a537dce7

« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 09:07:29 pm by silent majority »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Player contracts
« Reply #1 on March 23, 2020, 06:31:21 pm by drfchound »
I am glad that the season will be finished irrespective of when.
It would be so unfair to many if it wasn’t.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 23, 2020, 06:37:45 pm by silent majority »
I am glad that the season will be finished irrespective of when.
It would be so unfair to many if it wasn’t.

Yep, I think that was always the position but has been confirmed.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 23, 2020, 06:46:14 pm by selby »
  Lot's to be sorted before this season comes to an end, not least will teams even be allowed to play behind closed doors? will the players agree to play? if it is as late as July will they be registered to play with a club? will they be insured to play? Will clubs have the same squad available? Will certain parts of the country be in lock down (London)?
   After this weekends gathering of crowds will there be a later spike that makes the situation worse and extends the situation.
   My gut feeling is we have already seen the end of the season for 2019/20

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 23, 2020, 07:21:04 pm by silent majority »
You obviously haven’t read the article selby.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 23, 2020, 07:50:06 pm by NickDRFC »
As much as it would make me piss myself if Leeds & Liverpool missed out, I think they have to prioritise finishing this season at the expense of future seasons. No one has any skin in the game for the 2020/21 season yet whereas imagine how harsh it would be on teams like Leicester, Wolves, Sheff Utd (and yes, Leeds & Liverpool) if their efforts so far this season are just written off.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 23, 2020, 09:25:10 pm by selby »
   SM, no I have not, but I think the situation is going to get a lot worse and the time scale extended a lot longer than anyone has expected it to last up to press.
  And the time scale is the problem with the article, it could be as long as next Christmas before things get somewhere back to anything like normal as far as participant sports are allowed.
   Meetings of more than two if not family are banned for at least the next three weeks for exorcise that discounts any games and probably training, and would the players want to meet for training? is it classed as a place of work? all gyms and outside parks and Gyms are closed.
     I hope that this season can be finished, but have no certain thoughts that every club that started the season will be in existence before a restart and personally fear some will not, and some bigger fish than ourselves are some of the favourites to fall by the wayside with big wage structures and little or no income, and benefactors whose own fortunes are taking a big hit.
    Unfortunately I think decisions hoping to  finish this season will be overtaken by other events SM, I hope not, but fear they will.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 09:31:30 pm by selby »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 23, 2020, 09:44:02 pm by silent majority »
I don't disagree with any of your concerns selby, just concerned that you were asking questions that are addressed in the article.

But so far, our briefings from all the authorities, and the article in FC Business, have confirmed that the current seasons will go to a conclusion before any new season starts.

The financial status of a number of clubs is precarious, certainly the current difficulties will only exacerbate the problems that some well known clubs have. It's going to be a very tough time for clubs and supporters.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 23, 2020, 10:37:05 pm by selby »
  SM, they are questions that  were addressed a couple of days ago that took into consideration the situation at the time, which is miles away from they situation as it is even at this moment in time just a few days later.
   If that meeting had been taking place at 9 pm this evening I doubt the same conclusions would have been reached unless more in hope than certainty.
  The mass meetings in parks, coastal areas, town centres, and the general apathy to self isolating of the population over the last few days could be an absolutely massive game changer in a couple of weeks time, who knows? and make the situation even worse, and foresee even more draconian measures.
  1.5 million are going to have to go into  isolation for twelve weeks very shortly, that takes them into the middle  of June.
  As I have said, like everyone else I hope my thoughts are wrong, but things will not change suddenly and everything be up and running in a few days, even getting started will need organising it will not be like flicking a switch.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 24, 2020, 01:45:25 pm by selby »
  The fact that the Olympics have been put back a full year will now make the acceptance of sport being suspended for a longer period more acceptable and this seasons league being abandoned and therefore void a more realistic outcome.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 24, 2020, 02:58:27 pm by NickDRFC »
  The fact that the Olympics have been put back a full year will now make the acceptance of sport being suspended for a longer period more acceptable and this seasons league being abandoned and therefore void a more realistic outcome.

The Olympics have been postponed - surely if you're talking about acceptance or precedent then you would suggest that this season is more likely to have a prolonged postponement rather than an abandonment.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 24, 2020, 03:01:23 pm by silent majority »

The Olympics have been postponed - surely if you're talking about acceptance or precedent then you would suggest that this season is more likely to have a prolonged postponement rather than an abandonment.

That's exactly right. There's a determination to complete the current season, and irrespective of any delay to next season they are determined that they will reach a conclusion.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 24, 2020, 04:02:52 pm by selby »
  That is taking out the fact that not all clubs at the moment members of the football league may not be in existence for a restart, SM and Nick, Charleton are in a sorry state Derby and Leeds were reported to be £50 million down on this season only, Sheffield Wednesday are in a mess as is Birmingham, and they are not the only ones in that division, and more below them.
   With owners also taking an almighty hit, think of poor old Ashley today and things are by no means certain that adjustments to league placings will not have to be made anyway.
  The Premiership will push to start up ASAP to save their TV and other contracts, but that may be the decision of Government having other things more important to sort out, and may not be possible.
  In a fast moving situation, with higher  higher authority now calling the shots don't count on any football this year, I hope I am wrong, but would not put my shirt on it.
  The two main problems will be finance's of both the clubs and the owners and their willingness to guarantee the wages of the players while receiving no or little income.
   The TV channels will smack the price of the next contracts down as well I would think, interesting times are ahead, and some will benefit better than others in the outcome.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 04:05:43 pm by selby »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 24, 2020, 04:31:10 pm by scawsby steve »
This season will finish; even if it takes another 12 months to do so.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 24, 2020, 04:40:26 pm by drfchound »
Are football players included in the group of people that are guaranteed 80% of their wages if they were laid off short term?
If so that would surely help clubs get through this.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 24, 2020, 05:16:23 pm by selby »
I Don't think the £2.500 maximum a month will satisfy Rhodes at the Wednesday on a reputed£48,000 a week Hound, or even players like Marquis reputed £ 8k plus a week in our division Hound, the money tree will be sucking the life out of clubs pretty quick mate.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 24, 2020, 08:50:27 pm by silent majority »
selby, as I said before I get your point. However the authorities have already stated that they want to complete the current season and the next season will have to wait.

Your point about solvency of football clubs is a valid one, but it shouldn't interfere with completing the season. There is a lot of difficulty with certain clubs, but the ones you mention are subject to disciplinary action by the EFL and I would suggest it's more a points issue than a financial one. That's another reason for completing the season, any action the EFL take should be based on this season, the alternative would be to carry it forward, but that would be a reluctant move.

The biggest problem for clubs currently is paying salaries to players, for EFL clubs it's their one big expense. I'd expect to hear news from the EFL about these issues in the short term.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 24, 2020, 08:59:48 pm by drfchound »
I Don't think the £2.500 maximum a month will satisfy Rhodes at the Wednesday on a reputed£48,000 a week Hound, or even players like Marquis reputed £ 8k plus a week in our division Hound, the money tree will be sucking the life out of clubs pretty quick mate.

Absolutely selby, I agree that it wouldn’t work in some cases but in the main it would help clubs out if players were eligible.
Are players even going in for training?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 25, 2020, 01:22:53 pm by selby »
 The first chink has surfaced with Birmingham City asking players on over 6k a week to take a 50% drop in wages over that amount being reported, and others clubs asking for wages to be deferred.
   Another thing to take into consideration is the integrity of the competition if much altered  sides have to be fielded to complete fixtures for this season.
   Could be that the Bolton escape plan can be used again.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 01:30:19 pm by selby »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 25, 2020, 02:00:51 pm by ravenrover »
Did I read slmewhere thst Leeds have come to some agreement with their players wages?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 25, 2020, 06:34:45 pm by selby »
Like rats fighting over a piece of bread, nine of the top ten current premiership teams have got together to send a letter objecting to Manchester City being allowed to take part in European football next season.
   Teams like Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, reduced to scrapping in the gutter over a morsel.
   And the team to stand out like a beacon, Stand up Sheffield United, at least you are above the rest of the greedy  bar stewards.
 Big clubs my arse.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 25, 2020, 06:38:23 pm by idler »
It's like the local supermarkets scraps but at a higher level.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 25, 2020, 07:03:18 pm by Draytonian III »
Rhodes on £48k a week !!!!!!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 25, 2020, 07:23:14 pm by selby »
  That was the figure quoted on Radio Sheffield together with a couple of others a keeper on £28 k and a striker and midfielder on about the same, sorry I am that interested in them I don't know their names  although they should be household names being so massive.
  The Radio Sheffield presenter went along with the figures in general by the way.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on March 25, 2020, 09:43:19 pm by Filo »
Did I read slmewhere thst Leeds have come to some agreement with their players wages?

1p in the pound? 😂😂😂

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on March 26, 2020, 03:58:06 am by Draytonian III »
The Wednesday players on £28k a week will be Westwood,Fletcher and Bannon , that’s still a lot of money per week to be shelling out , £132k a week for those 4, bloody hell

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on March 26, 2020, 10:08:47 am by Metalmicky »
The Wednesday players on £28k a week will be Westwood,Fletcher and Bannon, that’s still a lot of money per week to be shelling out , £132k a week for those 4, bloody hell

I take it your not an accountant..... or, if you are, a pretty poor one... :s

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on March 26, 2020, 10:11:29 am by Pancho Regan »
Err....I think you'll find his maths stack up Metalmicky

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 26, 2020, 10:16:35 am by Metalmicky »
Err....I think you'll find his maths stack up Metalmicky

Please show me how....? 

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 26, 2020, 10:56:30 am by Lifelong supporter »

Three on £28k and Rhodes on £48k = £132k.
Think you missed the bit where he said 'for those 4'.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012