Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 02:14:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Integrity in politics  (Read 6732 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Integrity in politics
« on April 03, 2020, 04:26:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Here's a thought.

In 2007/08 when the roof fell in on the global banking system, we were hours away from the entire financial structure of the capitalist world ceasing to function. That is no exaggeration. We were literally hours away from a domino effect og banks going bust and the entire financial structure that underpins business failing.

The then Labour Govt led the world in taking the emergency action that was necessary to save the entire global economic system from crashing. It cost unimaginable sums of money to do that. But it had to be done. Not to protect the banks, but to protect all of us.

It led to Govt debt skyrocketting. Not because of profligate spending, but because of the Govt saving the economy, then keeping things going through the inevitable and very nasty recession that followed.

All that was textbook economics. But Cameron and Osborne, helped by the media, portrayed Gordon Brown as a reckless, out of control spender who was dangerous to Britain. Labour were "Deficit Deniers" in not slashing Govt spending. The deficit and the debt were all that mattered. We had "maxed our the nation's credit card".

Bullshit. All of it. Done for political reasons because it was the Tories' path to winning in 2010.

Now. See this...
https://twitter.com/DuncanWeldon/status/1245686024736518145

Our Govt debt is about to go through the roof because of Govt decisions to support the economy through the ravages of CV-19. The effect on the national debt will be at least as horrific as the Global Financial Crash. And the Tory Govt is absolutely correct to pour this money in because, just as in 2008, not doing so would be absolutely catastrophic for all of us.

Now, there would be a very, very easy political attack line by Labour. They could do what Osborne and Cameron did in 2009-2010. They could ignore the textbook economics and look to make political capital out of this. They could accuse the Govt of being reckless with the nation's finances.

I will guarantee you that they will not.

And those of you who idly say that all politicians are the same, just stop and ponder that. How you were treated like gullible idiots by Cameron a decade ago. And how Starmer will not do the same this time round. and then think whether there actually ARE some people with integrity in politics, who put the interests of the nation ahead of party benefit.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
Re: Integrity in politics
« Reply #1 on April 03, 2020, 04:36:08 pm by Iberian Red »
If you voted for that idiot,you are a gullible idiot. Much the same can be said of Boris, an absolute arse of a man who shook hands in a CV ward when the rest of humanity knew it was wrong,just to get his ugly f**king mug on tv and in your living rooms.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 03, 2020, 04:54:18 pm by Ldr »
Integrity and politics dont sit in the same sentence ever.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 03, 2020, 05:49:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Ldr.

If they don't then obviously Labour will accuse the Tories of madcap spending.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 03, 2020, 06:12:52 pm by scawsby steve »
Here's a thought.

In 2007/08 when the roof fell in on the global banking system, we were hours away from the entire financial structure of the capitalist world ceasing to function. That is no exaggeration. We were literally hours away from a domino effect og banks going bust and the entire financial structure that underpins business failing.

The then Labour Govt led the world in taking the emergency action that was necessary to save the entire global economic system from crashing. It cost unimaginable sums of money to do that. But it had to be done. Not to protect the banks, but to protect all of us.

It led to Govt debt skyrocketting. Not because of profligate spending, but because of the Govt saving the economy, then keeping things going through the inevitable and very nasty recession that followed.

All that was textbook economics. But Cameron and Osborne, helped by the media, portrayed Gordon Brown as a reckless, out of control spender who was dangerous to Britain. Labour were "Deficit Deniers" in not slashing Govt spending. The deficit and the debt were all that mattered. We had "maxed our the nation's credit card".

Bullshit. All of it. Done for political reasons because it was the Tories' path to winning in 2010.

Now. See this...
https://twitter.com/DuncanWeldon/status/1245686024736518145

Our Govt debt is about to go through the roof because of Govt decisions to support the economy through the ravages of CV-19. The effect on the national debt will be at least as horrific as the Global Financial Crash. And the Tory Govt is absolutely correct to pour this money in because, just as in 2008, not doing so would be absolutely catastrophic for all of us.

Now, there would be a very, very easy political attack line by Labour. They could do what Osborne and Cameron did in 2009-2010. They could ignore the textbook economics and look to make political capital out of this. They could accuse the Govt of being reckless with the nation's finances.

I will guarantee you that they will not.

And those of you who idly say that all politicians are the same, just stop and ponder that. How you were treated like gullible idiots by Cameron a decade ago. And how Starmer will not do the same this time round. and then think whether there actually ARE some people with integrity in politics, who put the interests of the nation ahead of party benefit.

Starmer? Integrity? After he constantly tried to block the will of the British people?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 03, 2020, 06:18:35 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
You mean after he proposed a public vote?

Fascinating, that take by Brexit supporters.

We had a vote! It is sacrosanct for all time! Anyone suggesting we have a vote is an enemy of democracy!

Now we've got that out if the way, do you have anything to add to the actual point I was making?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 03, 2020, 06:22:40 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Anyone who wants to overrule a vote because they didn't get their own way is an enemy of democracy.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 03, 2020, 06:35:37 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
And off we go again. Total and utter refusal to accept the argument out forward. That it WASN'T about "getting their own way". It was about getting clarity in an issue which had been demonstrated to be unclear.

Apparently it is the epitome of democracy to hold a vote in which one side screams Project Fear at every concern raised by the other side, and then insist that vote is sacrosanct when every one of those concerns turns out to have been correct. But it is undemocratic to suggest a follow-up vote after those issues have been clarified.

And anyone who suggests a follow-up vote is a lying, deceiving, cheating enemy of democracy.

I wonder if the people who argue that EVERY politician is self-serving liar realise how much it says about their standards?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 03, 2020, 06:44:56 pm by scawsby steve »
You mean after he proposed a public vote?

Fascinating, that take by Brexit supporters.

We had a vote! It is sacrosanct for all time! Anyone suggesting we have a vote is an enemy of democracy!

Now we've got that out if the way, do you have anything to add to the actual point I was making?

Yes. If Starmer is elected leader, and he will be, get ready for another thumping in 2024.

Mind you, I'd better be careful here. The law of averages would probably say that you're bound to back a political winner sooner or later.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 03, 2020, 06:48:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
So. Nothing whatsoever to add then?

Odd, but it takes all sorts.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 03, 2020, 06:52:26 pm by Bentley Bullet »
And off we go again. Total and utter refusal to accept the argument out forward. That it WASN'T about "getting their own way". It was about getting clarity in an issue which had been demonstrated to be unclear.

Apparently it is the epitome of democracy to hold a vote in which one side screams Project Fear at every concern raised by the other side, and then insist that vote is sacrosanct when every one of those concerns turns out to have been correct. But it is undemocratic to suggest a follow-up vote after those issues have been clarified.

And anyone who suggests a follow-up vote is a lying, deceiving, cheating enemy of democracy.

I wonder if the people who argue that EVERY politician is self-serving liar realise how much it says about their standards?

BST, you seem to be under the impression that the longer your posts are in denying the bleeding obvious the more convincing you are.

I'll say it, and will continue to say it as long as you carry on your charade.....

Anyone who wants to overrule a vote because they didn't get their own way is an enemy of democracy.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 03, 2020, 06:57:32 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
And once again, you give us an insight into your own moral standards. The assumption of bad faith in others.

And totally ignore the topic of this thread.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 03, 2020, 07:01:03 pm by selby »
  Billy we had the vote in 2016 called a referendum, then parliament including labour MP's ratified the vote, then May won an election although narrowly based on again ratifying Brexit, with all other party's opposing Brexit, then Johnson won overwhelmingly standing on the Brexit ticket, and against many constituents voters Labour and all the other party's stood to oppose Brexit.
   That is four votes Billy that the electorate and parliament ratified the will of the electorate to leave the EU despite 3 years of the most vile and coordinated with the EU and judiciary, vile postings on  the internet including this forum about the aged of the country dying and not knowing what they have voted for, when obviously they did and repeatedly did so.
  Remainers, and mainly the young lefties in this country  especially the South East who have flourished  by being geographically the first port of call, and also supported an underlying black economy to the detriment of the rest of the country committed the vilest and most divisive campaign ever in my life time, that matched Thatchers attack on the miners and steel workers.
  They and some on here got what they deserved and lost four times, and are still harping on about it, it must have hurt.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 03, 2020, 07:02:12 pm by Bentley Bullet »
And once again, you give us an insight into your own moral standards. The assumption of bad faith in others.

And totally ignore the topic of this thread.
The topic of the thread is about integrity, and anyone who wants to overrule a vote because they didn't get their own way is not showing integrity.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 03, 2020, 07:05:12 pm by Metalmicky »
Oh good..... another politics thread. :suicide:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 03, 2020, 07:07:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Fascinating how you cling on to Brexit as your touchstone even when it is done

You won.

Get over it. The world has moved on. We are dealing with an issue that makes Brexit look like an utter nothing. I raised the point that a politician truly lacking in integrity would seek to make capital from the Govt's current economic decisions.

You three respond with "Brexit, Brexit, Brexit."

Quite bizarre.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 03, 2020, 07:08:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Oh brilliant. Another post telling us that the reader read something he didn't need to read.

Here's a thought. Post something yourself.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 03, 2020, 07:09:21 pm by Iberian Red »
How unsurprisingly simplistic an opinion.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 03, 2020, 07:10:03 pm by Iberian Red »
  Billy we had the vote in 2016 called a referendum, then parliament including labour MP's ratified the vote, then May won an election although narrowly based on again ratifying Brexit, with all other party's opposing Brexit, then Johnson won overwhelmingly standing on the Brexit ticket, and against many constituents voters Labour and all the other party's stood to oppose Brexit.
   That is four votes Billy that the electorate and parliament ratified the will of the electorate to leave the EU despite 3 years of the most vile and coordinated with the EU and judiciary, vile postings on  the internet including this forum about the aged of the country dying and not knowing what they have voted for, when obviously they did and repeatedly did so.
  Remainers, and mainly the young lefties in this country  especially the South East who have flourished  by being geographically the first port of call, and also supported an underlying black economy to the detriment of the rest of the country committed the vilest and most divisive campaign ever in my life time, that matched Thatchers attack on the miners and steel workers.
  They and some on here got what they deserved and lost four times, and are still harping on about it, it must have hurt.

Did you hear all that from a bloke on the radio?

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 03, 2020, 07:13:13 pm by Metalmicky »

Oh brilliant. Another post telling us that the reader read something he didn't need to read.

Here's a thought. Post something yourself.

I only look in here occasionally - I don't spend my life in here......... I'll leave that to you

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 03, 2020, 07:18:29 pm by Bentley Bullet »

You won.

Get over it. The world has moved on. We are dealing with an issue that makes Brexit look like an utter nothing. I raised the point that a politician truly lacking in integrity would seek to make capital from the Govt's current economic decisions.

Quite bizarre.
I didn't win exactly but thank God you lost. I might have won, had I voted to leave, but Cameron and Osborne's project fear persuaded me not to do so. Anyway, that's another argument.

You brought the subject of Integrity up, and after the Labour party's stance on Brexit, there's no wonder the subject was resurrected.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 07:24:07 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 03, 2020, 07:22:36 pm by Bentley Bullet »
How unsurprisingly simplistic an opinion.

You should appreciate my simplistic opinion, it means you can join in.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 03, 2020, 07:24:16 pm by scawsby steve »

You won.

Quite bizarre.

No BST. You quoted someone as being a politician of integrity. We've shown you an example of where he lacked integrity.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 03, 2020, 07:30:25 pm by selby »
IB , I  can think for myself, that's why I get under the skin of people like you.
 How you doing over there by the way?

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 03, 2020, 08:24:44 pm by BigH »
Don't rise to the bait BST.

You know that SS and BB would tell you that day was night and black was white.

They are to this forum what Waldorf and Statler are to the Muppets.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 03, 2020, 08:31:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
There is something truly depressing about this BigH.

It's the refusal to move on.

BB has been lecturing us for years about the importance of the country pulling together.

But in the depths of a crisis that utterly overwhelms Brexit, it's clear that that was so much piss and wind. They don't WANT to let go of Brexit. They want to use that as the touchstone.

Very, very depressing.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 03, 2020, 08:49:20 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Don't rise to the bait BST.

You know that SS and BB would tell you that day was night and black was white.

They are to this forum what Waldorf and Statler are to the Muppets.
Do you mean remarking on a cast of absurd puppet-like characters?

Oh aye, I see what you mean!

I doubt they will take kindly to your description though!

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 03, 2020, 08:51:59 pm by BigH »

BB has been lecturing us for years about the importance of the country pulling together.

But in the depths of a crisis that utterly overwhelms Brexit, it's clear that that was so much piss and wind. They don't WANT to let go of Brexit. They want to use that as the touchstone.

Very, very depressing.
It is, but I'm guessing that they're guys of a certain age and a certain disposition who get a weird kick out of doing what they do.

Their problem not yours.

Back to the OP. I do believe that integrity in politics will make a come back because I think that's where electoral opinion is moving to. We've suffered the bullshitters, the chancers and the thickos. The entitled public school boys and their hedge fund mates.

Time to get back to the thinkers, the visionaries and the leaders. Those who speak for the values that most of us aspire to.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 03, 2020, 08:55:15 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Very, very depressing.

How dare you talk of me refusing to move on during this time of crisis. Your repeated politicking just continues relentlessly despite current events and this thread is just another example of it.

I honestly do not know how you dare!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 08:59:03 pm by Bentley Bullet »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 03, 2020, 09:07:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
And there you go again.

You have entered this discussion certain that I am engaging in party politics.

I am not.

I'm pointing out the very different approaches of the opposition parties in the last two major crises. That is a statement of fact and nothing to do with party politics.

For the record, I have spoken very positively of Rishi Sunak's actions to date. It is very good to see consensus on this vital issue. I am comparing that to the risible party political action of Cameron and Osborne a decade ago.

You have chosen to wade in with the assumption that I was dicking about.

There is the problem in a nutshell. If you assume bad faith from the start, you will see it everywhere.

And if you insist on clinging to Brexit as your touchstone, you will be blind to politicians genuinely acting in the national interest.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012